Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Tire

4.35/5 (98 Reviews)

• Deep tread design with large side knobs and a square profile
  • Perfect for mud, loose soil and rocky conditions
  • Race (735g) and Laser DH (1350g)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Viperoni a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    Straight line directional stability, good leaning over, holds it's own through a rock garden and over roots too.
    Great front tire for hardpack, light sand and gravel.
    Rolls great as well.

Weaknesses:    Sand.
    Not a very high volume tire given it's 2.55" rating - more like a 2.2-2.3" tire.

Bottom Line:
    After being rather unhappy with an Ardent 2.4" on the front of my bike, I got this and am very happy.
    Rolls nice and straight through gravel, and still controllable through deep sand, but this tire shines on hard pack and foresty trails. Great leaning over too, as the knobs extend fairly far down the sidewall.
    Can't comment on wet performance, but I suspect it's decent.
    Overall very happy with the tire on the front - nice and light, rolls great, sticks well, and whatever minor amounts of washing out happened, it came on linearly, no surprises.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Bontrager XR4-EXP

Bike Setup:   2007 Trek 4300 disc

Submitted by Groundswellz a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Traction

Weaknesses:    Price. Tough to get on the rim.

Bottom Line:
    Fully rigid SS 29er's need a high volume tire for proper trail riding IMO. I was riding on Exiwolf 2.3's and I swore I'd get them again when the time came. Well the time came and they weren't listed on the website so I bought these instead. These are fantastic tires. Mud sticks in the treads in wet conditions and it doesn't come out easily. Do not buy these tires if you will be facing muddy conditions on the regular. They were expensive, but I am very happy with them. These tires enable the rider to accelerate, climb and brake better...and they're going to take me to the next level...

p.s. If your currently riding bald tires like I was, the transition will be extreme. I think I "ditched the bike/jumped over the bars" like 5 times the first time I took them out!

Favorite Trail:   Allaire

Felt Crank w/ a 33t Surly cog
    CK Hubset
    Avid BB7's
    Oury Grips

Submitted by aliikane a Downhiller from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    Gripped tire. Knobs are soft so it feels like you are running lower tire pressure. Fairly light tire. Corners well. For the price I got it, it is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Not a 2.5. Size is more like a 2.35. It is the same size as my Nevegal 2.35. Not the best in super loose powder sugar conditions, but not many tires are.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great tire. Good all around tire for variety of soil types, just not extreme loose or muddy conditions. Corners well. Feels squishy like running lower pressure cause of soft knobs. How it holds up in long run to be determined. The one thing is that it measures as a 2.35 not a 2.5.

Favorite Trail:   demo forest

Purchased At:   chain love

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, fire xc, ritchey wcs z-max, specialized tires, etc.

Submitted by BeerBikeBerm a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, volume, durability, cornering, the tire print in the trail. Knobs are widely spaced for acceptable mud clearing. Saves my butt on overcooked corners. Good in the loose rock chunk and sand. I run them Stans tubeless with no issues.

Weaknesses:    Not great on the rear. Tall knobs will cause the tire to creep, wiggle, and slip on baby skulls and slick rock. Pavement like hardpack is not best for the front. Also, WTB has a new one out now and I am hoping these stick around in stock for a long while!

Bottom Line:
    I credit this tire for teaching me how to corner better. I was reluctant to push a tire to drift until I realized I could progressively push this tire to corner without sudden losses in grip. I can tell there is still way more grip to be found and I look forward to flogging a well-known corner harder every time. This is a fun tire!

I use a Prowler XT 2.3 in the rear (another discontinued tread I love.)

4 for value because there are cheaper tires that will do nearly all this tire does, and perform better in the rear (Rampage).

4 overall cuz I don't like to use it in the rear.

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal 2.35, SB8 2.35, the rest are all under 2.2 and can't touch the Weirwolf.

Bike Setup:   Hard-tail AM bike with 120-150mm front, ZTR flow.

Submitted by Flomatic a Weekend Warrior from Saint Paul MN USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    These tires have lasted longer than any tire I have ever purchased. Currently using it as the front tire on both my bikes- for years. I have never had a puncture or a flat.
    The tread looks like the day I bought it. It corners very well, the 2.5 has given me a lot of confidence going over logs and rock patches. Great front tire.

Weaknesses:    None. Please do not change.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a tire you do not need to replace every season this is the one for you. I agree with others that it grips on rocks and roots. Doesn't clog up with mud. Low rolling resistance. Great for logs and rock patches. Now searching for the perfect WTB rear tire. It is heavy but better than on the couch nursing an injury because you have a thin, light tire that slides under you.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Many...

Bike Setup:   Salsa Singlespeed and a S.Stumpjumper

Submitted by duleonar a Weekend Warrior from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    Large side walls give great comfort, lugs provide great traction in anything 'Cruces has to offer, Sealed in less than 10 minutes with Stan's No Tubes conversion.

Weaknesses:    Lugs tend to creap a bit in slow technical sections.

Bottom Line:
    I got this tire from a company in Great Britan (wiggle) dirt cheap!!! Localy this tire runs ~$55, but I was able to get it and my rear wolverine for $60 (shipped).
    I ride XC with some high speed sections and some super slow technical sections as well, and this tire eats it all up like a light snack. All the trails are southern NM desert sand and slick rock (FYI)
    Each time I go out riding now, I'm able to ascend portions of the trail that even the geared folks are walkin'. It tracks like its on rails, which keeps me out of trouble.
    I'm lovin' the massive volume of this tire. It makes rough parts of the trail much smoother, which allows me to bomb down them now. The traction is great. This tire takes me where ever I point it.
    I've had a few close calls coming around corners, but the side lugs bite in and save me every time. I'm givin' it 5 chilis for value, because it's a great tire to begin with and I got it for $19.
    The four chilis overall is because I've noticed the larger lugs tend to walk/creap if I'm on off camber slick rock. That could be that my air pressure is 30psi, and I just need higher pressure for the more technical trails.

GREAT PURCHASE!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the Doña Ana Mtns

Purchased At:   wiggle.com.uk?

Similar Products Used:   Tested out a Weirwolf lt 2.55 from parents mtn tandem before purchasing the weirwolf 2.5 for my bike.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, single speed, Weirwolf 2.5 front, wolverine 2.2 rear, Reba Race fork, disc brakes

Submitted by Grey Beard a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento,Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Strengths:    Soft, supple, ride with tons of grip on wet roots, rocks, wooden bridges, mud, leaves, grass, whatever. Tremendous braking strength pointed forward in the rear. Tire characteristics change considerably depending on pressure used.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy and sucky to carry speed well from downhills into uphills tight rollers. Mud clean-out is very dependent on water content of mud. Tire characteristics change considerably depending on pressure used. This can be a plus or a minus depending on whether you take the time to get to know how pressure affects the tire.

Bottom Line:
    Rode these on a 12 mile club mud-fest with lots of tight rollers, 3-12 ft mud-puddles 2-8" deep, lots of short, steep climbs, wet roots, lots of wet rocks, a few mossy, wet wooden bridges and a lot of 12-18" wide single track rutted 6-18" deep. These are my tentative conclusions after talking my ride around the club and reading reviews here for 2 hours.

This high volume tire is giving me the one thing I really wanted - a soft ride front and back. I get a forgiving ride up front to help a scant 80mm fork, and a back and butt saving soft hard-tail ride. That in addition to a good hookup in wet conditions both front and back.

I can't lock up the back wheel no matter how hard I brake except in long, deep mud-puddles. I tried steep downhill single track, wet leaves, light gravel, coarse sand and hard-pack. Even pointed forward the back wheel climbs wonderfully, although a bit less than the 40psi I used might help in 2-3" round gravel. Reversed, I expect the rear wheel would climb nearly anything. It stays hooked up extremely well due to the high volume construction, a flexible sidewall, and very wide tread. (used 1.95s before)

Over most roots and rocks it just flexes and hangs on like a scared monkey. As is implied, it keeps the back end of the bike quiet and well planted. The huge casing depth helps because it keeps you trusting and in the saddle where you weight on the back wheel really helps.

At my age I really appreciate coming home without a sore back and bruised butt. The high volume "Inner Peace" design goes a long way towards addressing the gap between a hard-tail and dualie.

On the downside, and this is attendant with the size and volume of the tire, so I don't see this as a design flaw, these tires push a lot of air and weigh in at almost 800 grams. Since this is rolling weight it slows the bike down a lot between peaks on rollers as it is hard to gather and carry speed well from downhill to uphill.

The LT (low tread) profile of the tire suck less than they otherwise would, so WTB has made an effort to address this issue. On the 2.55 LT Team FR version I have, the center tread base of the tire is textured. I think this is to keep the boundary layer of air from attaching itself to the tire to make it suck less, but I have a hunch that makes it hold onto mud more tenaciously.

The mud clean-out on these tires is very dependent on the amount of water content in the mud. When going through puddles at the bottom of rollers these tires clean out very, very well, and your clothes will show it when you get home too! Once you get up out of the wet though, the mud starts to pack in. It makes the tire less sucky, but less biting in the center too.

Taking a page out of my clicker snowboard binding experience, I am going to try cleaning these tires very dry with hot water and Ultra Dawn, rinsing well, drying, and then applying 3 coats of Rain-X to the tread about an hour between coats. I have a hunch the Rain-X will get rubbed off the blocks but stay attached to the tread texturing very nicely. If so these tires should shed mud with the very best with only an occasional reapplication of Rain-X.

The side tread will lift you right up out of even the tallest single-track, so make sure you hit your line right. Lower tire pressures will minimize this, but will also make the tire wash out more then on sharp turns. Just another reason to run a bit more tire pressure in the front than the back from what I can tell at this point.
    Some have suggested that wider rims would result in a less squirrelly ride, and that makes sense to me. The flexible sidewall can move around a lot at low pressures. This is what allows it to cling to rocks and roots and soak up trail bumps so well, so it is a trade-off that can be tweaked a fair amount by adjusting tire pressure, but still a trade-off.

Since Sacramento has mostly dry conditions, when spring comes I will be looking at the Wolverine and even Vulpine for the front, or maybe even a Vulpine for the back turned around, but have a hunch I will miss the soft ride in back too much so will likely try to save weight and suck on the front to I can afford the plush ride in back.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Natoma

Purchased At:   TreeFort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized XC race

Bike Setup:   Stock '95 Specialized M2 hard-tail with twist shift and canti brakes.

Submitted by TITan a Cross Country Rider from Ljubljana, Slovenia

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Price (atleast over here), grip, wear, rolling resistance (for such a tire), grea

Weaknesses:    High roling resistance and weight for a XC bike, doesn't clean off mudd that well, not that stable on fast loose gravel tracks (altho that could be my fork's fault)

Bottom Line:
    I'we been riding two pairs of Weirwolfs for 2 years now. One set (2.3's) destroyed itself becouse of me running too low pressure. That was the only puncture I ever had, EVER with thise tires (before I thought that replacing tubes was something normal...). But the other set has seen 1000km's with a lot of tarmac riding and still grips like new The allround grip is superb - best allround tire I ever had. Superb for climbing even on wet roots (can't say for rocks).

Similar Products Used:   Diferent stuff from Maxxis, Michelin...

Bike Setup:   XC hard tail, 100mm fork

Submitted by Nick from Santa Ynez, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    Hooks up well, rolls relatively fast for such an aggressive tire, lightweight (I ride the race version) for a tire in this category. Great all around tire for long fire road climbs and full-on singletrack bombers.

Weaknesses:    A bit squirmy over wet rocks. Not good in mud. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
    For Santa Barbara conditions, this is the best tire I've ridden. I ride a 2.35 in back and the 2.5 up front. And set up in this fashion, my buddies suck wind trying to keep up with me downhill. The tire climbs well, but is better suited to long, gut-busting fire road climbs than to technical ascents. The tire squirms around a bit over wet rocks and roots and muds up like chocolate fudge, but we rarely see those conditions in our area. They're great for hardpack, loose over hardpack and loose, loamy soil. When I wear out these bad boys, I'll definitely buy the same again. All around a great tire!!! A bit expensive, but I think they're worth their weight in greenbacks.

Favorite Trail:   Romero Canyon

Purchased At:   Art's

Similar Products Used:   Minions. Weirwolf LTs. Mutanoraptors.

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant AC1. Marzocchi Rocco coil. Marzocchi AM SL1. XT.

Submitted by Bill Cubellis a Weekend Warrior from Ridgewood

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2008

Strengths:    Great grip in all conditons and side angles

Bottom Line:
    I started by trying the 2.1 version and loved it. My buddy and I tried using the 2.5 in the front for extra steering grip and we've both bee very pleased. the extra volume allows for lower air pressure and a softer ride. (the 2.5 doesn't fit on the back of the TRUTH).

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Purchased At:   Cosmic Wheel

Similar Products Used:   Conti, Hutch

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth - Truth,
    Manitou Minute 2, Cane Creek-AD12, XTR '03 everything (F&R drive, crank, brakes, shifers, wheels), WTB UST WeirWolf 2.1, Eggbeater SS,

Submitted by Roger Palmer a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2007

Strengths:    Grippy, roots, rock, hard surface. Light for a big tire. Pretty cheap.

Weaknesses:    Slow roll in dry soil, squirms on hard under surface in thin sand, rolls slower than motoraptor, but lighter. Not a as high air volume in it as some 2.4's, 2.5 measured to the largest outside knob EDGE. Not heavy, but its not a good tire to run on a single speed rear, it dies hard in deep sand, Conti vertical tracks and floats better and its a small 2.3, a 2.4 Kenda Cortez is bigger, and much faster out of the sand box when you hammer on leaving a sandy hole. Cortez loses mo when in deep sand but still works better. A lot fasterr in 1 to 4 inch deep stuff. Very loose bead, Stan's will work, but its a POOR choice.

Bottom Line:
    I ride in a lot of sand part of the year, daily. Bike has HTA and STA as 69er to be ideal sand bike geometry, weight on rear, 68.5 HTA big light front tire, one speed, no bull when you test for roll and carry and tracking, hunting for a soft stuff REAR tire. Panaracer razor was fast, but gave it up, not as soon as the crow, moto was ok, but heavy, Conti was stable beyond its size in sand, but slow rolling, but still faster than the Weirwolf 2.5 race. Weir Wolf felt less stable and smaller than it looked, felt dead and slow. The Kenda on the other hand, felt fast, rolled fast up to speed and carried that roll, felt supple, and did not SQUIRM against a hard under surface when the knobs bite through sugar sand. I liked the WTB Weir Wolf tire over roots and solid surface for grip, but it is too slow for a single speed in soft stuff, ride rocks, it might be good, but soft soil...it will exhaust you.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Motoraptor, Kenda Cortez, Weirwolf LT 2.5 29er, conti vertical, panaracer razor, crow, etc.

Bike Setup:   One speed 69er franken bike conversion, from free ride frame, as dedicated sand bike, 36-17 cog, WTB dual duty 29er disc rim front, DD 26 rim rear, on one midge bar, with WTB Weir Wolf LT on the front. Now a Kenda Cortez on the rear. Tried 6 different tires on the rear from a crow to the Kenda. Use Stans No Tubes.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Evanston, Wyoming USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    tread pattern

Weaknesses:    thin Side walls

Bottom Line:
    great tires even in 8 inches of snow here in wyoming. Used to ride 3 miles to school during the winter for the heck of it they did great. 22nd street in ogden, utah is loose rocky but fun they did great but I wasn't surprised its a great tire. Don't mind all the over reviews they don't know what they are talking about corning is great too never had a problem

Favorite Trail:   22nd street utah