Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB WeirWolf 2.3 Tire

4.09/5 (69 Reviews)
Weight : 930g MSRP : $29.99

Designed to prowl the backcountry, the WeirWolf is the go-to choice for extreme trail riding. Fast rolling center knobs keep pedaling efficient while the razor-like cornering knobs grab the trail (and shake it up like a fuzzy bunny).

Submitted by MiLo

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    - Grip, lots of grip, at almost any angle.
- High volume.
- Slow to wear.
- Fast rolling.
- Work well on gravel, sand, hardpack, (most) mud, leaves, roots, and plain old dirt.
- No flats so far. *knock on wood*

Weaknesses:    - Heavier than your standard cross country tire, but not unusually so.
- Gums up in mud with a high clay content.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these tires for most of the past year and they do virtually everything asked of them. I have run them briefly on a 2002 Giant Rainier (clearance issues) and predominately on a Barracuda A2F with a rigid fork. They seem to have been made for the latter bike. The tires do a great job of smoothing over the smaller bumps and giving the control to hop or climb over the big ones. It's kind of like riding a tank. A very fast and maneuverable tank that doesn't mind clocking air time. Their pressure is kept a little low to help with climbing, but I've not yet had a pinch flat.

At first, the grip was a bit overwhelming. Others have mentioned a slick spot between the central and external knobs, which is noticeable, but once passed, the tires can be leaned deep into the corners. There is potential for sliding in that gap but the tires hook up quickly after. It just takes a slight adjustment of riding style.

BC's winters offer rain and slippery trails, but these tires did surprisingly well in crawling up slick roots, logs, ladder bridges and boulders, and finding grip in deep, muddy corners. In Missouri,the tires managed to punch through the wet oak leaves (most of the time...) and find purchase in the soil below. The only time that I've had issues was while biking through clay.

Finally, the WeirWolfs are fast. They will get you rolling or bring you to a stop you as fast as you like, and with the large traction patch of the 2.3s, even loose gravel can be treated aggressively. I not only would, but have recommend these to friends, just as they were recommended to me. Cheers and good riding.

Submitted by Jon

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2013

Strengths:    Hooks up on our dry hard pack gravely trails. Rolls smooth and fast on hardpack and pavement. Stiff side wall

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shed mud at all. I did not expect this to be a prime mud tire but it is almost worthless in anything sticky as it doesn't hook up to well and balls up with mud in a split second

Bottom Line:
Now that it is drying out I am beging to like this tire more and more. I suspect that it will be great for the dry summer season

Submitted by jonnybegood

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Grip grip grip grip

Weaknesses:    Too grippy

Bottom Line:
OK I recently went out on my iron horse with these on , only on the back road s for a couple of miles to my friends house , it was about 9pm and during the recent freezing condions in minus temperatures , I know it sounds a bit stupid ! but there was no point in the journey did my wheels slide or spin on the icy roads and pavement the bike felt very sure footed , who needs ice tyres when these will do the job! And when I got off the bike I slid and fell on my a*** I could not believe it ,

Submitted by Suntoro a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    - So much grip under normal circumstances. Like the way they bite through angled corners. Never had a XC tire which I could trust on high speed taken trails.
- Rolls also quite fast on tarmac and produces almost no sound at all.

Weaknesses:    - Far too heavy for an XC riding use (have the AM TCS 2.3). More according to what WTB says.
- You feel the weight in climbs. Tire rolls heavy at low speeds in the dirt when climbing. They grap too much.

Bottom Line:
Did only some testing for my holiday in the Alps next month. But these tires will rock then, because most tracks will be downhill...

Submitted by Lastshot

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2012

Strengths:    Rails corners, even when cutting through fall debris (acorns and wet leaves), but when it comes time to hammer and climb hills, they grab hard!. Great braking traction Yet, On pavement tires roll Smooooth! This really helps when you want to rip some smooth hardpack singletrack, Stopped my Pinchflat problem!

Weaknesses:    My front feels as if it is a little more floatly and drifty in wet, It doesn't feel as "planted" through the rough stuff, Its not that it becomes unpredictable, Learning curve was steep, it took me a couple rides with a spill or two to adapt. And it was for the better!

Bottom Line:
Got the Race Compounded 2.3" tire, hard in middle, soft knobby outside! I used to have Nevegals front and rear on my Teocali, I liked them for there awesome traction on rocks and climbing power. I was not a fan of their mud tire like rolling resistance... now I'm running two of these tires and I'm really liking them. You have to lean the bike enough so that the "claws" on the edges are in the dirt...These tires can rail corners! you can whip the rear nice and hard into it, and then just feel the tire plant and grab...Awesome! On climbs, and when getting through mud, these tires like to power through, They will clean out in mud, you just gotta spin them, Clipless help with that! Also since I am running them in the lower pressures, they grab rock nicely enough for me to try bigger and bigger rollers.

Submitted by Eric

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Fast rolling tire that does it all and looks great while doing it!!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is the best tire I've ever used. I've raced it in XC races and done some downhill riding with it. The tire handles whatever you throw at it. It also is a confidence builder. Before you know it youll be railing through corners at high speeds and climbing hills that would normally have you walking the bike.

Submitted by cman8

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great tire. Climbs like a champ and goes down like a beast. Buy this tire

Bottom Line:
Great tire. Grippy and awesome. I bought a 2.3 rear and 2.1 front. Just reverse directions for rear for better climbing power. Buy this tire

Submitted by siberian1967 a Weekend Warrior from Marin County, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    I put one of these on the front of my bike.

Wow, this thing really hooks in, their marketing is no joke.. It responds incredibly well to outside pedal pressure and it hooks enough to really pull your rear end through the turn, allowing you to tap the breaks and slide around corners in a big cloud of dust. Its fast rolling, climbs great and wants to go fast.

I am using the new version (post 2010) TCS and its a solid tire. Rolls well, can be pointed at anything and just takes it.

Did I mention it corners like its on rails? You feel the transition as a bit of an 'uh oh, here we go' and instead of going down you go THROUGH. Its fantastic.

Beyond that it truly is an all mountain tire. You can hit anything with this. Big downs? No problem. Huge ruts? Ride the edges. Uh oh, high face end to the gully? Cleared it, no problem. Jump ahead, Look out! No problem, hits, sails and lands with confidence, pulling the bike into alignment as you make contact with the earth again.

Really digging this tire. Combined with my Kenda Small Block 8 in the back its an awesome climbing setup that descends like a demon with enough control to not go over and enough drift to really have an amazing time.

Weaknesses:    Its heavy, like 2x heavy then a normal XC racing tire (800g-1000g, these things vary). Its big, it holds a lot of air. Its not a true 2.3, more like a 2.1 on steroids (not a negative for me but some may be surprised).

Expensive! Like 2x any other similar tire expensive. I bought my at my LBS (I like to support them), probably could have done a lot better at Amazon or one of the online retailers but heck, its like making a $20 donation to the Small Local Bike Shop fund. I'm into that.

Bottom Line:
Fast and furious. Really enjoying it and it pulls my entire bike through things. I tend to ride dry soft over hard and it locks into it and loves it.

If I was not enjoying the speed and flexibility of my rear Small Block 8 I'd put a 2.1 version of this back there. That may be to close to the Tron Light Cycles though..

4 chilis value, its expensive. But worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Annandale SP

Purchased At:   Mt. Tam BIkes

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   2011 Blur XC, Fox RLC front, RP23 rear. Mavic crossrides. Running 2.3 Weirwolf front/2.1 Kenda SM8 in the back.

Submitted by akiracornell a Weekend Warrior from hemet ca

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    love this tire now that i have ridden for a while, good cornering, tacky on rocks, soft cushy feel but fast go figure.

Weaknesses:    my previous review seemed a bit negative so i needed to clarify, the only situation i didnt like it was gravely dg(decomposed granite) like cover over harpack, i suppose any tire may have been sketchy or a more open tread might do better but this is a rare summer condition at only one spot i ride

Bottom Line:
great tire now that i compared it to others.

Favorite Trail:   any fast flowy or switch backy trail

Purchased At:   bicycle warehouse

Similar Products Used:   velociraptors, prowlers on front also good, kenda dart & smoke, vriedstein tiger rear.

Bike Setup:   6 in diamondback mission and older khs fxt

Submitted by akira cornell a Weekend Warrior from hemet california us

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Strengths:    Soft feeling but fast rolling. Tread is very cool looking. IMO this tire design is probably best for optimal tacky soil because it has a little give, if you like to whip the rear a bit in turns and be a stylish racer type (which i do) this for you, it does what it was designed for, see wtb site and click on more info and go to development.

Weaknesses:    dont get me wrong I like this tire but depends how you ride, if your use to a super tacky in hard pack tire this may feel a bit sketchy, this tire can drift when pushing it in hardpack with sandy cover due to soft tips on side tread,but its not like its there and just gives out. not the first choice for some in hardpack loose cover, and from other reviews not in muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
i like um but im gonna try a different combo. i found an older weirolf on ebay that some say is tackier, and im gonna put it on the front, see if i like cause i got scared the other day after going in a huge high speed drift in loose cover hardpack.

Favorite Trail:   hurkey creek

Purchased At:   bicycle wharhouse

Similar Products Used:   velociraptors, other xc treads

Bike Setup:   diamondback mission 6in bike

Submitted by Crusty1207 a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Strengths:    Good cornering, aggressive tread, good creek crossing and slippery rock traction.

Weaknesses:    Poor sidewalls and thorn protection

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires less than three months ago and the rear sidewall ripped out on me during my daily and mundane cross country ride after work today. It ripped out where the tire meets the rim. I run the regular range of 35 to 45 psi in my tires. The front tire is also starting to look the same way. These tires are too new to have had such an issue. I've ridden a set of Specialized Chowders on my other bike that lasted me 3 years before the sidewall finally went in them due to dry rot and these Weirwolves look just like those did.

Also, I've had more flats due to thorns in the three months I used these tires than in the previous 2 years riding others, including 2 flats on the same ride front and rear.

I was impressed when I first mounted and rode these tires but now that I've put some miles on them, they haven't held up very well.

Favorite Trail:   Harbins

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Specialized, Bontrager, CST, Maxxis

Bike Setup:   GF Fat Possum XO

Submitted by jumper780 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    -Nice sidewall color scheme
-TCS works well

Weaknesses:    -MFR lies about tire size (2.3 measured a 1.97)
-Heavy heavy
-Tread design is no longer an aggressive Trail/Mtn design
-Price/Robbery: Hmm heavier, less agressive,wears faster and incorrect stated tire size all while jacking up the price......PRICELESS

Bottom Line:
I was hooked on the old line of Wolf tires. When these came out, I bought one for the rear and hated it. Then I gave it another try and bought one for the front and hated it even more. The old style really hooked up in loose terrain (really bit). This one has a more controlled slide feel to it and just feels heavy. Highway robery I say. I actually measured the casing with my calipers while mounted on Mavic XM819 wheels inflated and they read 1.97! I took 2 more readings with nothing reaching 2.0! I then went ahead and measured my Conti Trail King 2.2s, well they were just over 2.2. What gives WTB? I've only put about 20 miles on them and they already show wear. My Contis with Black Chili have over 500 miles and still look good. Also, any small amount of mud and go home, this tire packs up like a fat man's bowels on cheese. Don't get me wrong, in the right conditions which is dry to slightly loose soil, this tire will do well. But for aggressive trails with loose rock very loose soil, this tire is all over the place. Its too bad they don't still offer the old style for special order.
FYI, after trying countless tires trying to find one that rode like the old wolf, I found the golden tire. Continental Trail King 2.2. I can really rail corners and she doesn't pack up to bad in the mud. Wide casing on the 2.2 more like a 2.3 and only 650 grams. I'm sold.
If the tires were cheaper and the 2.3 was a 2.3 and not more like a 1.97 I would give it a higher rating. I'm sorry but I just dont get the previous high reviews; have other reviewers actually ridden the old Wolf design? I wish I could post pics of me measuring the Contis and the WTBs. Too bad, I ran WTB for years. I really wish I could buy American and not German Conti but it is what it is. With Conti's new Black Chili and accurate tire measurement I'm sold until WTB cleans up their act.

Favorite Trail:   Salado Creek/Govt Canyon

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   -1st Gen Weirwold 2.3

Bike Setup:   Sant Cruz Blur LT2 with all the bling

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Cross Country Rider from Chico

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Fantastic traction on dry/damp surfaces. TCS bead seals easily with a floor pump on tubeless rims. Tough sidewall, has resisted lots of hard hits on lava cap, slate, and sharp granite rocks.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. NOT a mud tire, clogs up pretty fast in gooey mud.

Bottom Line:
I've run this only as a rear tire, with the bigger Mutano AM TCS up front. I like the profile of the Mutano better (big and round), and the volume of it better for a front tire. But as a rear tire, this thing really bites well on the climb and in braking but still rolls very easy. I've run this tire since January through wet and dusty dry conditions, and on perfect trail conditions in Downieville.

It has performed very well on all trail surfaces except for sticky mud. A little bit is no big deal, but if you're going mud bogging get a tire with LOTS of space between the knobs. This tire packs into the little spaces quickly and turns into a slick in no time. But in soupy mud or in tacky conditions this tire is fine, so I'd say it's a great "3/4 year" tire. Throw on a Schwalbe Muddy Mary for the wet season! I'm only giving 4 chilis for the value rating because 60 bucks is a lot to spend on a tire. I went through my first one in 6 months, but to be fair I went and bought another one! :D

Favorite Trail:   California

Purchased At:   Sports LTD Chico

Similar Products Used:   Nano Raptor 29", Velociraptor, Mutano, Nevegal, Rampage.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4, X9 drive train, XTR tubeless wheelset.

Submitted by West a Weekend Warrior from Georgetown, TX

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Rides very fast; light; bites well in corners; fat tire absorbs rocky trail well; fits my Mavic x317 rims so well that with Stan's tubeless kit there were no leaks even with no sealant in the tires.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find; tread isn't very deep so may not last very long with hard use.

Bottom Line:
I have tried numerous tires on my S-Works since 2005 and these tires are by far my favorite for rocky trail riding.
When I heard that these were 'fast' tires I was skeptical but it's true - you WILL ride faster with these tires. I've never ridden so fast on this bike. They corner well too - I have almost lost it several times because they cut the corner so hard. I really like these tires!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Georgetown

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Maxxis, etc.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro S-Works.

Submitted by raycje5 a Weekend Warrior from DFW, Texas

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Good grip, thick sidewalls, set up tubeless with hand pump with Flows.

Weaknesses:    Smaller than normal 2.3

Bottom Line:
Bought these for trip to Gunnison, Fruita, Moab and Cortez. Dissapointed that they are not true 2.3 but this did not seem to affect performance.2.2 Wolverines are bigger... Ran them between 20-25 psi (@ about 210 riding weight) for the rocky terrain and had no problems.Set PSI so that all tread is hooking up. To much PSI and they will get loose on you.The faster the better....I put 75 miles of hard riding on them last week with no pressure loss or flats. Strong tire and a little heavy if that matters.
I am impressed with the tire and performance riding in the places above.
4 Chilis for value because I havent had them very long.
4 CHilis overall because they are not true 2.3.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim from Hazard