Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB WeirWolf 2.1 Tire

4.36/5 (107 Reviews)
Weight : Tubeless 720g,Race 545g, Comp 610g MSRP : $33.99

Originally conceived in 2002,The re-designed WeirWolfTire from WTB is a product of 5 years development betweenTop endurance downhiller Mark Weir and WTB chief designer Mark Slate.The product is aTire with unparalleled grip and predictability at any lean angle.TheTerraced side knobs feature an advanced progressive design.TheTread is soft on initialTurn-in and conformsToTheTerrain.The fasterTheTurn-inThe firmerThe knobs become.The "Comp" differs only in it's steel bead and single compound rubber f

Submitted by D Peper

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    These tires offer several strengths and I'm sure I'll miss many. However besides the relative low price they roll fast, long, very very grippy, look great on my rig. I'm running them on my specialized fs and am riding 5-6 days a week for about 10 miles a ride. All offroad and lots of rocks, round and jagged. I've had one flat since May and it's December 1st- yes rediculous! I'm a climber and look to charge the rock gardens going up and looking to pump them on the flat and down. Tired of Strava this and that? Well not with these on. You'll know their working when your PR shows up all over your map. You can go wrong with these. I've still got great tread left and Moab three weeks ago they gripped just fine. Never put your foot down on a climb! Man up pedal or crash trying.

Weaknesses:    The only thing limiting this tire is the one flat which I probably pinched it charging something!
weaknesses include listening to three things 1. legs screaming 2. brain telling me to slow down 3. my wife asking about what I bought for my bike:) but I do get to ride alot with no complaints. I love that part.

Bottom Line:
Awesome value tire. They ride everything well and you can see everyone loves these badboys. I don't have any other posts on this site. Just ordered an all mountain 29er and was shopping tires. When I go looking for tires these are going to always be on my list of YES items. Eventhough they are super grippy with tread they roll great.

Submitted by Ron Betts

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2012

Strengths:    The tires and inner tubes I bought are not even near as good as what the desciption was on either.I spent approx.$135.00 for nothing that I could not have bought at Walmart for half the price. There re no strengths to what I was told and after putting the tubes and tires on the bike,same thing..Flat.The tubes failed and the tires are not worth the money.

Weaknesses:    Who ever wants to buy the tire or tubes,these are no where near the price and they do not hold up like they are advertised.

Bottom Line:
I trusted what I read about the tubes and tires so I paid the price for a better tube and tire because I was tired of all the flats.Wrong.I got took.

Submitted by Lobsang Rampa a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent grip and traction on dry/dusty terrain. I also like the looks of these tires.

Weaknesses:    For some reason, they seem to attract goat-heads (Google if you don't know what they are.)

Bottom Line:
These are excellent tires for the dry and dusty conditions of northern California. They seem to do especially well on off-camber terrain and areas where most other tires fail one way or another. Be aware though, that once they wear out a bit they tend to attract "goat-heads" like crazy. It appears the combination of worn-out knobs and the spacing between them grips the goat-heads and gives them a chance to do harm. I had one flat per ride (literally) last season with these tires. The flats went away the minute I switched them to some Continentals I had around. Despite all that, I still like them for the stability and peace of mind they provide when riding tricky terrain.

Submitted by mk.utlra

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, durable, excellent both front and rear

Bottom Line:
I am running 2.1's front and rear and these things grip like glue. Paid only $40 shipped for the pair, couldn't be happier.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy in dry and wet as long as its watery, not thick mud. High Volume.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (I have old wirebead), and rolling resistance is nothing special. Thick mud clogs tread easily.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy riding this tyre on the front, I generally go to these once things get a little wet. But they won't clear thick mud well.
They tend to take commitment in a corner, they may let go but will hold an understeer, if confident enough to push on through. Turning technique feels a little different then most tyres.
If things get dry, I stop using them and go to something that rolls well.

Favorite Trail:   Trevallyn Reserve

Duration Product Used:   6 months (on and off)

Purchased At:   from my mate

Bike Setup:   Avanti Aggressor hardtail

Submitted by cman8

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great grabby tire. Put it on my SC heckler. They climb super good and grab corners like no other tire I have tried. Have been loving these definitely helped me get to the top faster.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great tire. Grippy and awesome. I bought a 2.3 rear and 2.1 front. Just reverse directions for rear for better climbing power. Buy this tire

Submitted by redjay999 a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    These tires have great grip on climbs, and a pretty low rolling resistance considering the aggressive tread. I have climbed sections with loose rocks and dirt, hard pack, and stumpy terrain with no issue. I have even climbed up smoother surfaces after going through a creek bed with barely any slippage. Plus, at $32, a pretty good price point.

Weaknesses:    Although the package claims for wet and dry conditions, there should be an astrisk next to the wet. If you riding through a creek bed, but the ground is dry, no issue. If the ground itself is damp, and no real mud presents itself, it's not an issue. But if you like slogging through the mud, it's a no go. If you actually go the weirwolf site, it expresses the same there as well (http://www.wtb.com/weirwolf/development.html). The only other issue I do seem to have is, although the tire claims to be able to take turns at almost any angle without washout, I find that not to be the case when going at a higher rate of speed. I'm still pretty new to mountain biking overall though, so it could just be technique (or lack thereof on my part).

Bottom Line:
Other than the slight washout I get when hard corning, and the inability to slog through the mud, I do love these tires. I realize that most live for the descent, but I, on the other hand, actually live for the challenge of the climb, and I have loved every one since I slapped these tires on, and I recommend them to others who enjoy doing the same.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None to date. First set of real, current MTB tires. Last set was a 26 x 1.75 which were just aweful! But I think they were for the early 90s, so, there you go.

Bike Setup:   Late 80s Jamis Cross Country 2 full ridgid, custom painted, with Deore LX drive train (minus the rear cog), Alex 101 rins (will be replaced soon), and basic Shimano V-brakes with Avid break levers.

Submitted by merc13000 a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great Grip. Nice 2.1 size(not bigger or smaller than the stated size), Cool looking, Race version is light

Weaknesses:    Good as a front tire, but there might be better choices.

Bottom Line:
These tires climb excellent and descend almost as good too! Great dry conditions tire(which is 90% of SoCal riding). I really really like it as a rear tire. As a front it is good too, but I do feel it slipping once in a while(other tires would probably slip just the same or worse). The good thing about the weirdwolfs, as others have said, is that they lose traction predictably and give you a chance to regain it instead of just washing you out completely. I am going to try another tire on the front when these wear out, but will most likely keep the weirwolf as a rear. I might even go for just a wider WTB brand front tire since I'm so impressed.

My rating:
4 Chilis for value because they aren't cheap tires
5 Chilis for overall performance

Favorite Trail:   Blackstar

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   specialized fast trak, captain etc, Kenda Kinetics

Bike Setup:   26" Rekken Hardtail, Marzocchi 22 RLO fork, bb7 brakes, Weirwolf 2.1 Race front and back

Submitted by Muther a Cross Country Rider from Liberty, Missouri

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent dry conditions tire. Less rounded profile than most other tires, so you don't have to lean it as far to get into the side knobs (cornering knobs). I have the non tubeless race version which is pretty lightweight. It spins up and rolls pretty well. Braking is first class. It holds your chosen line very very well, and tends not to push off the trail like other tires. It wears pretty good, too.

Weaknesses:    This is not, I repeat this is not a tire to use if the trails are anything other than dry. It does not clean at all. It will pack up and hold onto mud with a death grip. Mud crossings on an otherwise dry trail cause it pack up, and make it slick.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the very best dry conditions tires out there. Because it is so good in the dry, it is poor to dangerous in the wet. That said, the 2.1 Race version is lightweight, spins up well, rolls really well, enters and climbs out of hyper-steep creek entrances with the best. It has a less roundy profile so you don't have to lean very far to start getting into the corner knobs. IT brakes extremely well. It holds a line very very well. Some tires lose traction and washout on you. Traction is there, and then in an instant it is not there. When this tire loses traction it does so very slowly, and gives you time to react, and correct.

Again, all this applies to dry conditions. If the tire will pick up mud on the ride, make another choice (I use Continental Explorers for that).

Favorite Trail:   Stocksdale

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Conti Explorer, Conti Leader Pro/Cross Country, Hutchinson Piranha/Python

Bike Setup:   High end cro-mo hard tail

Submitted by sburnett a Cross Country Rider from FTW, TX

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    I have run these Front and Rear -
Rear - This tire grips incredibly, the only time I have had trouble is when taking steep climbs out of saddle in sandy stuff. It grabs and grabs on everything else I have used it on.
Front - The tire has slipped out on me once, during a night ride at a section of trail that was chewed up. I was likely going to fast. I would recommend it. Though a slightly larger tire is better. I recently replaced the front with a WTB Stout 2.3 and the combination of Weirwolf rear and that front is amazing. I will never run a different setup.

Weaknesses:    I had the front tire sidewall shred on me one day riding on pavement. I can only assume that something got inbetween it and the rim. The rear tire has given no issue.

Bottom Line:
These tires are awesome at the price I got, I always scoop up tires with good reviews when they hit Chain Love, I would pay up to 30 bucks for one of these, and that is a lot considering I have never paid over 16 bucks for 60+ dollar tires.
They are great, if you see a deal, GET IT.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar/Legacy

Purchased At:   ChainLove

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Mobster, WTB Stout, WTB velociraptor

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche, Manitou R7 ABS+, X9/X7, Magura Louise

Submitted by DJ Feelgood Phil a Cross Country Rider from Sherbrooke, QC

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Grip and corner well, shed mud well, great looking tire.

Weaknesses:    Quite expensive.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding the Bontrager Jones that came stock on my Fuel for 2 years, until realizing that these were uber crap.

So I decided to try the 2011 Weirworlf 2.1 on Front after "shopping" on mtbr.com the best tire that would fit my riding. I use it mostly in humid conidtions during spring and autumn and very dry conditions during summer, and I must say that this tire grips very well even at high speed. It certainly helped boosting my confidence in those turns. It also does not slip too much on wet roots/rocks.

Its only downside is his price here in Canada. I had to pay around 65$ for only one tire.

Overall, it's a very good tire and I would recommand it.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8

Submitted by Biscuit Pants a Cross Country Rider from Breathing Heavy, GA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Strengths:    Low Rolling resitance

Weaknesses:    Sidewall blew up

Bottom Line:
This tire was good for about a month riding once or twice a week.On a night ride on smooth trails and POW !! Side lows out and comes apart at the bead. Thank goodness I bought it at REI (return everything inc.) Not impressed

Favorite Trail:   Bull/ Jake Mountain

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz BLT, Fox 36 Van, X9

Submitted by koolshaggy a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, Speed, climbing

Weaknesses:    Mud

Bottom Line:
Great Tire. Would definitely recommend to anyone riding dirt or rock trails. Not great in wet or muddy conditions, but then again, not many all around tires are.

Favorite Trail:   The Tourne

Purchased At:   chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Klaw XT

Submitted by Kona Green a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Grip in the turns, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Best tires I have ridden thus far. Awesome grip even in loose sandy GA soil. Fast rolling. Adds some confidence leaning in on the corners. Chainlove.com runs them for $14.99, if you see them don't hesitate.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek Mountain

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, Continental Vertical, Continental Vapor

Bike Setup:   1998 Kona Lava Dome with disc tabs welded on, Hayes Stroker Carbons 185f 160r, Sram X9 Shifters and Derailleurs, Mavic cross rides, 2004 Manitou Black 120

Submitted by Greg01 a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, NC

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    This Review is for the New 2010 WTB Weirwolf XC TCS tire with the terraced side nobs. I ran the same tire in both front and rear, and I must say I have never ridden a tire that feels this amazing. In any trail condition, this tire will help you fly. The terraced side nobs will change the tire industry as we know it. The side nobs allow you to roll over and actually 'feel' the drifting effect depending on how hard you dig into turns- Very similar to holding an edge on a ski/snowboard. It takes a while to get used to, but eventually you will build up enough confidence that you will easily be able to get that two-wheel drift into turns without having to put a foot down. Then, when you finally start to feel your bike slide out from under you, you can really dig the edge in and slingshot out of turns.

Weaknesses:    Price point - for the weight of these tires, its hard to pay 120 bucks for a pair.
The learning curve - At first, these tires are very skiddish and squirelly and I washed out numerous times on the simplest high-speed turns. But after a few rides and figuring out how to use them properly, I have absolutely no complaints and would recommend this tire to anyone from recreational to racing.

Bottom Line:
These tires are just pure fun. If you like skiing/snowboarding, then you will absolutely love these tires because they simulate holding an edge in snow. I was always skiddish and sloppy when it came to drifting//high speed turns with other tires, but as soon as I got passed the learning curve on these weirwolves, I have become much, MUCH more confident in turns: 2 wheel drifting, then catching that edge and slingshotting out of turns with ease.

The bottom line is I have never had this much fun on a bike. These tires will make you more confident, faster, make you hit turns harder, and will give you an incredible euphoria on the exit of every turn.

Purchased At:   J&L Bicycle Company