Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Vigilante Tire

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

WTB Vigilante All Mountain TCS Tyre Tyre Features: 26 quot; 2.3 Folding Buy WTB Tyres nbsp;from Chain Reaction Cycles, the worlds largest online bicycle store.

Submitted by Obi a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2015

Strengths:    Great weight and low rolling resistance. Nice sidewalls.

Weaknesses:    Weight comes with a penalty, those nice sidewalls in the TCS version are honestly too weak combined with the side knob design. Far too easy to loose traction coming into and out of corners hot. Same if not completely stomping the landing, I've had these less than 6 months and can hear and feel the corner knobs screaming for traction as the sidewall buckles. Changing air pressure doesn't stop it.

Bottom Line:
Nice tire, well thought out design, but inherent flaw in the sidewall to tread design leave me unconfident in their ability to keep traction when I need it most so I'll be taking advantage of the "Love it or leave it" guarantee and trading them back for something better. Originally I went to these after seeing far too many aging issues with the Kenda Nevegal Tomacs, honestly I'll take those back given they at least maintain traction before splitting after a season or so.

Submitted by Ken Kienow

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2015

Strengths:    Fairly long-lasting
Durable sidewalls and tread
Extremely predictable
Set up tubeless really easily

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance probably
Not the best absolute cornering traction

Bottom Line:
I've got almost no complaints about the Vigilante, and I probably would have no complaints at all if I didn't have a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.9x2.5 EXO TR 3C on before the Vigilante.

Never had any durability issues with the Vigilante in terms of failure. When the side knobs go, they chunk from the top as opposed to cracking at the bottom like most tires. I've had pretty good side knob durability though.

Braking traction is great. Cornering traction is great too, but it doesn't have the absolute cornering bite that the Minion DHF has. It'll break loose sooner, but once it does break loose, the drift is extremely predictable. It starts to slip very slowly. It also makes a lot of noise when it's nearing its traction limits, so all-in-all it's a very confident tire when you're riding at the limits of traction. I went back to the DHF though - I'd rather have the best cornering traction I can get, but I'd say the Vigilantes are the second best tire I've ever used for going fast on chunky trails.

Submitted by GOrtho a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2013

Strengths:    Grip

Weaknesses:    Heavy
"Slow Rolling" (see below)

Bottom Line:
I've got a 100mi or so on these now so feel confident to write a review. Put these on for Winter riding (mud, wet leaves, rain). I ride all single track with lots of elevation changes in the Ozark's (sharp rocks, gravel over hardpack, hardwood forest, some rock garden). I ride in all weather conditions. I came off a well worn pair of Ardents onto these. The good: Love the GRIP! Strong technical climbers. Transition across the tread feels 100%symmetric at all lean angles (In some other tires I hate the good-oh crap, oh crap- oh good feeling, especially as much as you have to lean a 29er). My tire failure pattern here is the dreaded side wall tear, and there is not a mark on them, so they are hardy. The Bad: Yeah, in 29er land they are heavy. However, winter is training season so I load up the weight anyway. They are "Slow rolling". Again, though, this term is relative. They are much faster rolling on the steep and in the curvey stuff this time of year because they grab really well. I charge into things my riding buddies recoil from. Straight line I feel it, but I'm not planning on using them as XC rubber anyway (I like small block 8s for that). I would definitely trust them (and do) on long back country. Overall sense is confidence inspiring: look and performance.