Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB VelociRaptor Tire

4.17/5 (488 Reviews)
Weight : Kevlar: 625g/635g (fr/rr) MSRP : $34.98

The WTB VelociRaptors features exceptional front steering control, whileThe rear grabsTheTrail helping you get upThat killer climb, helpingTo makeThis aTire comboThat is great in wetTo dry and looseTo roughTrail conditions.26" Bead Folding Comp: Cable bead Comp: Steel bead Race: Aramid bead Weight Folding Comp Front: 719 g Folding Comp Rear: 718 g Comp Front: 795 g Comp Rear: 795 g Race Front: 700 g Race Rear: 700 g

Submitted by J.S. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2015

Strengths:    steep climbing, steep braking, rocks, roots, snow, slush, mud, loose terrain, durable, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    pretty heavy, rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
Overall I really like these tires. They are old school but there is a reason they keep selling. My favorite thing about the Velociraptors is the way they climb. Since it's winter the couple hundred miles I've put on them has been almost exclusively in nasty conditions. I've been riding in a mix of snow (fresh and packed), slush, mud, and wet sand all mixed with lots of rocks. I am continually baffled by the things I can climb and descend in those conditions.

They aren't fast on hard-pack or pavement which is a little unfortunate since I like to ride to the trail, but it's impossible to have the best of both worlds. Besides, if you've ridden a road bike at all you know riding a mountain bike on the road sucks no matter what tires you put on it.

I did have the tires clog up badly with mud a couple times, but only with certain soil types. And they may not be the best for high speed leaned over corning. These are the reason's I gave 4 stars instead of 5 Overall they seem to be a good tire for most trail types. I might try something else as summer approaches and the snow stops showing up, but I can't be sure yet.

I would recommend them to someone as a solid, inexpensive winter or challenging terrain tire.

Submitted by emerydonatelle@yahoo.com

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2014

Strengths:    Great performance to dollar value.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance is high on pavement.

Bottom Line:
I bought the front and rear combo in the spring of 2013. I have been mountain biking for eight years and in that time I have tried a variety of trail and cross country tires from various manufactures. Some were good, some were bad. None of them really stood out as excellent for me. These are the first tires that I have bought from WTB. These are the finest tires that I have ever owned.
I’m not a racer, just a hard core, long distance MB rider and I ride in all-weather conditions. The trails in Southern Maine where I ride are very diverse; flats, hills, twisty, narrow, steams, bogs, tree roots, loose gravel and rocks to bare granite. You name it we have it all. Trail conditions change daily from very dry to very muddy. Since using these tires my riding confidence in all of these conditions has excelled. Hills (dry or muddy) that I have had past difficulty or limited success in climbing up and over are now few and far in-between. I am amazed at how these tires just dig in and keep me going despite some gnarly and nasty trail conditions. They just grip everything.
I track my riding mileage every year using a GPS unit. I put 685 miles on these tires last year. The front tire has plenty of remaining tread, while the rear tire is more worn. I expect to get another full season out of the front tire and about a half season from the rear tire. My bike is eight years old and is at the end of its life. I was planning to purchase a 650B, but may opt to stay with a 26er. Reason is that these tires only come in a 26 inch size. I am hoping that WTB will soon offer these tires in the 650B size, in a width range of 2.1 to 2.3.

Submitted by ptrqc a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    - grip
- traction
- durability
- value for money

Weaknesses:    - there are lighter tyres

Bottom Line:
My girlfriend's been riding these here in Québec-Maine-Vermont.
She was new to mountainbiking so I wanted her to have a tyre that would inspire confidence.
These tyres have been great: excellent grip and traction, durable. Don't remember exactly how much I paid them, but they were cheap in comparison to other tyres.
Would certainly recommend these.

Favorite Trail:   Vallée Bras du Nord, MSA, Burke

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Submitted by The Grouch a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    These tires climb really well.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I got them on sale for 20.00 each , great deal they handle the SF bay area trails like a dream.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by pmitch82

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, long life, grip, and durable

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my 96 GT Tequesta stock and they are probably the best tires I've ever used. They are still on the bike worn down and cut up from rocks, but they still work.

Submitted by Rubber Duck

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    GRIP

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I had these on my previous 26" bike and they were awesome for my local trails. No problem whatsoever on roots, sand washouts, etc. Yeah there were some sections on the trails were a faster tire would blow these away but for all around performance these rock, especially when you take into account price. I wish WTB made these for 29ers.

Submitted by Glenn98_11 a Cross Country Rider from Bergen, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Rear specific tire with its paddles is an awesome gripper!!! Eats hills for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!! Excellent bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Wears quicker than I would have liked but hey, that's a trade off for a grippy compound. If you want something that will last forever, get a hybrid tire.

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike used 2 years ago and replaced the IRC Mythos XC tires which would spin in the mud and were getting dry rot. I chose the front and rear specific WTB VelociRaptor Comp wire bead versions and put thornproof tubes in them. The rear tire is an awesome gripper, the front tire is OK (front tires aren't subject to any torque so not much of an issue for a xc rider). The difference in the rear was like night and day!!! Trails where I would come to a halt and have to dismount and walk out of a mud hole, I was now pedaling out!!! Never had a flat but then again, they may have been due to the thornproof tubes - great piece of mind for those of us that don't care about weight!

Some have complained of high rolling resistance but here again, it's a xc tire, not a dh tire. The rear has worn down quicker than I would have liked but that may be because I have taken it on roads as well as trails. Down to about half worn in 1K miles. Am I being nit picky? Can't really compain as they're only $18. With many MTB tires costing over $40, I could go through 2 sets of these and still spend less $$.

Overall, great gripper and great bang for the buck!

Favorite Trail:   Any dirt trail in VT, NH or ME

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 2002 F500 Hardtail with Headshok front suspension.

Submitted by larry6969 a Weekend Warrior from mass.

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    the front and rear specific work well together( just watch your front pressure) the rear is a paddle type tire that will climb up a wall, went up a rocky trail last week that i was unable to make with my stock bontrangers or kenda telonix that i had on at different times. i stayed in the saddle, put her in low and up i went, i cant say enough about the rocky grip, it was awesome! dry single track and such is equally as good, the soft crap,,,fair,but find me a tire that is great in that crap and ill buy it for you,lol. but now the reason ive been trying different tires,,, wet rocks and roots, and the result was good, i havent ridden in the pouring rain yet, but did have to cross a couple small creeks directly on to rocks and roots and i was happy, tiny(tiny i say) slippage, but was able to peddle out of it!! great price too.

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance on pavement, but who cares, if you wanna spend most of your time on pavement, buy a road bike!! this most likely is not the tire for you if you race, as it is a med. to med high weight tire, its not ridiculous, but there are lighter tires out there.

Bottom Line:
so far these tires have not disappointed me, not really made for pavement, i sound like a jeep with huge tires,lol, but my main goal is trail performance, and so far, so good! i think these are a real good tire for the $$$. i will buy these again, and also would recommend them to a friend.

Favorite Trail:   local

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   bontranger jones2.1, kenda hans rey telonix 2.2 & 2.4

Bike Setup:   stock trek fuel ex8 with steve "the animal" hamilton platform pedals

Submitted by seanb561 a Weekend Warrior from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    Great at climbing, just stand up and pump it and you can get up anything. Cornering is fantastic too. Haven't had a flat yet either. The front and rear tread designs work extremely well together.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance, but who cares about that. I guess noisy on road?

Bottom Line:
Great tire, inexpensive and rugged, performs better than I expected. They wear better than I thought with some on road riding. They measure wider than the 2.1 inches, which is a good thing. Would defiantly buy again.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park, Oleta State Park, and Amelia Earhart Park

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock'r

Bike Setup:   93 GT Timberline, Full Sram X-7, Rock Shox Dart 3, Deore XT hubs with Sun Ringle rims

Submitted by Redrum240 a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction. Superb lean confidence. Awesome for rocky uphill climbs.

Weaknesses:    Who cares of rolling resistance. Its pros completely out weigh its weakness.

Bottom Line:
You well never buy any other tire. Hands down, the best.

Favorite Trail:   Leon Creek

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   None similar. Nothing comes close

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardrock disc, sram xo 9 spd, mavic cross ride.

Submitted by aaabronco a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2011

Strengths:    Grips everything even in pouring rain it will lock on like a mountain goat

Weaknesses:    Lots of rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
These have great traction in every condition. As they wear they get faster and keep there traction which it pretty cool.

Favorite Trail:   JRPS

Submitted by Snake Plissken a Cross Country Rider from OKC, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent grip on solid rock and cement abutments. Tough over sharp rocks or rough pastures.

Weaknesses:    The rear wears quickly on pavement (not really a weakness, just fyi).

Stickers and goatheads (probably normal?)

Bottom Line:
From the limestone & sandstone trails near Tulsa to the granite hills of SW Oklahoma, I have NEVER cut a sidewall or pinch-flatted these tires the past 8 or 9 years.

Warm months I use the old ones for urban riding in OKC until there is nothing left, hundreds and hundreds of all-purpose miles.

$26 wire bead, I get roughly 6 or 8 months use from each set. If I used them for off-road only, they would probably last a year or more.

Favorite Trail:   LAKE TOM STEED - Great Plains SP, Mountain Park, OK www.ridesteed.com

Similar Products Used:   :( Conti Speed King: cut the sidewall 2 miles in. (not really similar, but the LBS put them on and said that I would like them)

Bike Setup:   Trek hardtail

Submitted by ZUUL99 a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Great tire, the front and rear specific tire is no gimmick it works and it works well. The rear tire is a paddle tread. it has lots if traction and while climbing with a loose surface there is no slip. The front tire has a directional pattern and stays planted to the ground. with these tires you can really push your bike.
its quite thick this is great if you are an AZ rider, less flats from thorns

Weaknesses:    When first installed they flung debris but that stopped once they got dirty. on concrete and asphalt they are kind of noisey but that is expected from and off road tire. There are some molding issues, some spots have injection spots these can be cut off and dont affect the tire

Bottom Line:
Great tire, a lot of bite kind of priecy but well worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100, 1A, Mcdowell Moutains