Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Stout 2.3 Tire

3.92/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 820 grams

A knobby, all-mountain tire that handles wet or dry & loose, rough conditions.

Submitted by umarth a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Hooks up great. Fairly smooth.

Weaknesses:    Slow

Bottom Line:
This tire is fantastic. I live in Oregon, so as soon as the wet season hits, everything you used to get over fairly easily becomes a difficult proposition. Sideways on roots, losing the back end on rocks, you name it. I got the Stouts on a whim and they are fantastic. They rail in the wet. They hook up on muddy climbs. It is almost like riding during the dry season.

My two "issues" are these- the tire isn't as soft as I thought it would be, though I am certainly still working on dialing in the pressure. The other is that the tire takes more work to get going than others. Still, neither are huge complaints, given that they really have breathed life into my winter riding. Great deal, great tire.

Favorite Trail:   Larison Creek?

Purchased At:   blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Tomac/Fire XC/Rampage/etc

Bike Setup:   SS rigid 26"

Submitted by xxixr a Weekend Warrior from oxford, mi, usa

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2010

Strengths:    Best tire I've ever used period as far as girp and traction. I've run dry, wet, even snow. and never failed. Confidence in the corners is amazing. in 2.5 seasons of riding in mich, I have never dumped in a turn. Since I have replaced with racing ralphs i've dumped 3 times in 1 summer. There is not much else to say. These tires are the real deal.

Weaknesses:    Like everyone else says they do ware quick because the are soft. However if you want the traction you gotta give somewhere, right? And they are no doubt heavy. Not recommended for racing, unless, like me, you don't give a damn if you finish last.

Bottom Line:
An awesome awesome tire, for all terrains. A great confidence builder especially if you are new to riding like I am. A word of caution though Beacuse of the stability in corners and over any terrain or condition, they may just take the thrill out of mountain biking, and you just may want to buy a road bike instead. :-)

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Bike Setup:   raleigh GXXIX

Submitted by Marshalleames a Racer from lafayette CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    great cornering, sticky rubber, good grip for climbing

Weaknesses:    dont last long, roll slow on hard pack

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around everyday tire, I have never felt more comfortable in corners. Works great in wet conditions also. Sheds mud easily. Only if the middle of the tire had smaller nobs in between the bigger nobs, this tire would be perfect.

Similar Products Used:   moto raptor

Bike Setup:   nomad, fox 36, dhx coil, hayes, xo, dt 340 5.1d

Submitted by KinglyRider a Cross Country Rider from Chichester

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Ludicrous grip, durability, relatively good rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Can be pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this up front on my hardtail for general trail/downhill thrashing as well as fast cross country riding.

I can't really fault it, I've yet to wash it out (that's not to say I haven't come off though!) even on lose silty soil and or gravel tracks. I like to ride fast and tend to chuck my bike around and they come back for more everytime.

Perfect front tyre for general trail use if you ask me. I wouldn't recommend them on the back if you do varied riding, tarmac shreds the knobs because of drive torque and the rolling efficiency isn't the height of cross country performance, however coupled with something like a WTB wolverine you'll fly; I've been riding that combo for 6 months and it's bloody brilliant! Highly Recommended.

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   WTB: Dissent, Timberwolf, Wolverine

Submitted by psylence a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great in loose conditions.

Weaknesses:    HUGE, have like 1 1/2CM clearance (Mud may be an issue)
They are super heavy and steering became twitchy

Bottom Line:
This tire is great in loose gravel, light mud.
They are pretty bad in hard packed conditions. You can feel the rubber straining when you take moderate turns.

Favorite Trail:   6 mile run resorvoir

Similar Products Used:   Spec ed Captains/Geax saguaro

Bike Setup:   Spec Ed StumpJumper 29er FSR

Submitted by capthook61 a Racer from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    This tire flat hooks up in the desert terrain around Las Vegas. Running them front and rear and they grab the corners, will bring you to a stop like now, and keep going in the loose climbs. A great everyday get out there and ride tire.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not bad heavy, but not a racing weight I would want to run

Bottom Line:
If you want a big, fat, gnarly knobbed tire that will hook up in the loose rocky desert and will have you railing the corners for your weekend or everyday rides this is your tire. I run this on my everyday go bang the trail bike, but just too heavy to race with.

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood Valley

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Weirwolf 2.5, Exiwolf, many others

Bike Setup:   Turner Sulton, and top shelf components

Submitted by Ashevillemike a Racer from NC

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    This tire corners better than any, yes, any other tire I've used. It has not failed me yet.

Weaknesses:    It's a bit heavy and may not last as long as other tires, but if you ride hard it pays to have a tire that you won't let you down.

Bottom Line:
This is the best front tire I've ever used. It will be replaced with another stout when it wears out. I have not tried it on the rear so I cannot say how it will do there. It is a bit heavy but is totally worth the extra weight. It's a beefy high volume tire (I generally run about 30# of air in it). It shines in the woods, whether dealing with roots, rocks, mud, sand, whatever-this tire can take it. It doesn't roll well on pavement-because it's a trail tire. The knobs have worn fast initially, but once they got to a certain point they've not worn nearly as fast. I probably have around 600 miles on it and it isn't finished yet.
I feel like this tire is getting a bad rap, but it does exactly what it's supposed to, and it does that well!

Favorite Trail:   anything in Pisgah

Similar Products Used:   velociraptor, smoke, dart, mythos, ridgeline, prowler xt, exiwolf, yada yada.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 5z.

Submitted by Dr.Zoidberg a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent traction in wet and muddy conditions. Just came back from a 6 hour trail tour, 7/8 of it spent in rain and riding on trails that were bogs and streams due to the amount of rain. Also, wet small-medium rocks downhill and uphill. Tires were very stable - in fact stalled out going through 30-50 ft mud sections a 1/3 of the tire deep and tires kept the bike from tipping, giving me a perch to power through. Same effect on uphill wet rocks even - abosolutly amazing grip. Didn't experience any mud tacking onto the tread - maybe because the rain and riding into streams washed them off?

Weaknesses:    Not ideal for xc racing track - ineffecient; but its not a racing tire so no points lost here. Probably weight as well. Tough time fitting my bike rack rail.

Bottom Line:
Can't get over the traction/grip this tire gave me through mud, bog and even uphill wet rocks.

Purchased At:   Came with bike setup

Bike Setup:   '07 RM Slayer SXC 50

Submitted by Bdoc132 a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    very sticky and wide, was good for the dusty conditions of AZ in the beginning of its life. I didnt feel like the tire was very heavy for a 2.3

Weaknesses:    The knobs were too weak and would wear off very quickly, only got about 200 miles out of the tire on rocky terrain. Slick rock shreaded this tire apart

Bottom Line:
if you are a millionaire and can replace your tires every month this is a good tire. If not go with somethign with a less agressive tread pattern for longer life

Favorite Trail:   Elden stuff

Purchased At:   AZ Bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB weirwolf (much longer life), specialized hardrockr (not sticky enough)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XLT, fox RP3 AVA, minute 3, xt drivetrain, hayes HX9, mallets

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    Good traction in various conditions, good climber. It is a WTB product.

Weaknesses:    This tire deteriorated faster than any tire that I have tried

Bottom Line:
I love WTB however this tire did not last. The side nobs began to shred away from the tire.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC, Maxxis ADvantage, Mutanoraptors and other WTB tires

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR Fox front and rear, Thompson stem and seatpost, Avid brakes

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    Tread pattern is excellent on loose, rocky terrain.

Weaknesses:    It's a tad heavy

Bottom Line:
I wanted a tire that could handle the loose terrain of the Las Vegas area better than the Weirwolf I had on the front. Reading the info on this tire made it sound like the one for me. To tell the truth, it is perfect for loose terrain! It has made a big difference on my local trails and how fast I can ride them since I have confidence that the front won't wash out and slip through loose corners. It's a heavy tire and I do notice that when climbing, but it's tolerable as the round profile does roll pretty good.

Purchased At:   Mountain High Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Big Betty, Weirwolf, Nevegal, Blue Groove

Bike Setup:   6x6

Submitted by Dustin a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    good tread pattern, great on downhill was great at first. I really got some good use out of it but...

Weaknesses:    to big for my bike i.e. frame rub. seemed big for a 2.3, knobs are starting so rip and show there wear. I have used them some on asphalt though which you should not do but I did because I like to ride to the trail head to get a better work out. Have used with stans tubeless setup and had great results at first but now the tire is covered with dozens of nail size holes I do not want to repair because the tread is almost spent.

Bottom Line:
this is a great downhill tire with an aggressive tread pattern and is great all around. I wish it would have been longer lasting but I shouldn't have rode to the trail so much shame on me. I do think is was over priced but I loved the way it looked so I went for it I will not try again due to the frame rub and the fact that I like to get the 50o dollar tires that are on sale for 20-25 and this one isn't usually on sale. Try it if you have a DH bike but be wary of trying to convert it to stans or other tubless sealents because it doesnt like to seal with the rubber.

Favorite Trail:   lucero wash or dona ana's

Purchased At:   Performance bicycle

Similar Products Used:   smoke/dart combo/ velocorapters/ panaracer fire. IRC trailbear the list can really go on for a long time

Bike Setup:   specialized epic that I rolled the stout on(does not fit frame rub was experienced. and many many more bikes to many to list

Submitted by chris boggs a Cross Country Rider from Marin Co. , CA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Great Traction in dry, rocky, CA terrain.

Weaknesses:    Muds up quick, and knobs wear quick on shale, rocky, Tahoe terrain

Bottom Line:
The tire is a great all around tire, and rides smooth, and corners quick for a 2.3. The knobs are spaced far apart and that caused quick wear in very rocky shale conditions in Tahoe, which would wear out any tire I guess. The only other issue was that it cakes up mud quickly because of the spaced knobs.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Tahoe

Purchased At:   Mill Valley Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, WTB Mutano, all the other popular stuff.

Bike Setup:   Maverick Matc, DUC 32 fork.

WTB Stout 2.3 with Stan's Flow tubeless... do I need sealant

I'm thinking about pulling off my Racing Ralph for the Stout to see if I get better grip... I've been a little sketchy in the front with the RR. Current setup is tubeless and this will be my first time mounting tubeless... will the Stout require sealant? It's a China Stout. Thanks in advance...Read More »

WTB Stout 2.3 for AM/FR ?

Hi! Does any of you tried the WTB Stout 2.3 ? I'm used to ride 2.35/2.5 nevegals in rocky terrain and pinch flat a lot. I also thought about the 2.35 Muddy Marys, but they're far more expensive around here. These will be used in soft to hard soil, with lots of roots and rocks. No mud at all, j ... Read More »

Fat Steel 29er fork - disc (fits at least 2.3 Stout + mud)

Hi Guys Looking for a steel fork supplier in the UK to take a wide tyre plus mud. I ordered a Karate Monkey Fork from wiggle.co.uk as their site listed them. When I chased them nearly a month later as to where it was, I was advised it was not in stock and "should" be available at the end of Septe ... Read More »

WTB Stout 29er 2.3 mini review

Pros: Big Beefy sidewalls Good traction on loose stuff Runs low pressure nicely Cons: Heavy at 960 grams Slow rolling (compared to WTB Exiwolf 2.3, Bontrager XR 2.2, etc) walks around on hardpack Feels like dragging a dead body around. I picked these tires up thinking they would be good for Sie ... Read More »

Stout 2.3 29er clearance with Karate Monkey fork

Hi Guys Just found out my cheap suspension forks graze the top of my Stout 2.3 29er. Anyone know height and side clearance with a 29er Stout 2.3 and Karate Monkey rigid steel 29er fork. Need to know before trawling ebay. Thanks for any advice.Read More »