Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Raijin 2.1 Tire

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 595 grams

Ideal tire for XC racing in wet to dry, loose conditions.

Submitted by Geo

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Climbed well in mud

Weaknesses:    Horrible on wet roots, rocks.... and by wet.. I mean even on humid days, or mornings with morning dew.
Didn't hold well for me on corners

Bottom Line:
I got these tires because the tread pattern was similar to the original tires on my bike... and the price was right.

Granted every tire slips on wet roots, but these were ridiculous. I actually started changing the line I would pick to avoid roots because these were so uneasy on them. I mounted the set in May of this year, and they are off now in Aug... wish I would have changed sooner.

I have a velociraptor front and a panaracer smoke on the rear.. and the difference is unreal. Waay more confidence on my bike again.

I live in North east PA... rocky, rooty, wet conditions are frequent.

The Raijin wasn't bad in hard pack, but wern't very predictible in turns for me.. they would kind of drift there way into a turn then bite all of a sudden... causing me to be very tentative in keeping speed into sharp turns.

Submitted by jwsb a Racer from Sta. Rosa Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    Mud shedding, Climbing, Predictability

Weaknesses:    Hard Cornering, Pavement

Bottom Line:
Good off road tire. Will slip when cornered hard but fairly predictable. Will give a warning before it snaps out of line. Unlike Nevegals that just snap with cataclysmic results! 7 stitches to prove! Better bite in the mud as well.

Favorite Trail:   Sta. Rosa

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL

Submitted by pogliaghi a Weekend Warrior from SF Bay, California

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, good traction uphills.

Weaknesses:    Sketchy, loses traction on hard turns in loose stuff. Slow in the flats.

Bottom Line:
Buy it for the light weight and cheap price. Strictly an XC tire.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   FS XC

Submitted by sangmatt a Cross Country Rider from SE Idaho

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light, clears mud well, predictable

Weaknesses:    Mediocre grip

Bottom Line:
I ride xc in mostly dry harpack, but spring can be sloppy in places and the nevegals don't clear the mud we have here at all, and I wouldn't think of using the sb's, which are great in dry conditions. I got the raijin b/c they are light and are supposed to clear mud well, and they live up to those promises really well. They don't have amazing traction, but they are pretty predictable. The tread isn't super fast, but the light weight makes acceleration and handling pretty lively.