Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Prowler XT 2.3 Tire

3.85/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 860 grams MSRP : $60.00

Another new all-mountain tire in the lineup, the XT loves to tear it up on wet or dry & loose trails.

Submitted by Ryan Schramm

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Strengths:    Good traction on NH singletrack: roots, clay and lots of rock gardens along with dirt and loam.

Weaknesses:    heavy, seem to wear quicker than others, not as great on flat rock or wet rock as the venerable Nevegal

Bottom Line:
I got a set of 2 for cheap- $18 so the price was right to try them out. I think they have increased grip in most situations except when it's wet rocks over my old tires. Cornering feel is great. But this traction comes at the expense of heft- these are heavier than a Nevegal and don't offer better traction overall. Wear seems to be about the same or maybe slightly quicker than the Nevegals. I have not experienced any pinch flats running 25-35 psi (I do use a wider, 21mm internal width rim and this helps). Overall a great tire for the price if you can find them cheap, otherwise buy the lighter Nevegal.

Submitted by AchrisK a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2011

Strengths:    Not sure

Weaknesses:    Pinch flats easily on rocky terrain

Bottom Line:
I am using this as a rear tire and I run tubes. I typically run about 35-40 lbs of pressure. I previously had a Kenda Kinetics and rode the rocky terrain of Tucson MTB trails for its whole life without a pinch flat. I put on this tire and have already had 4 pinch flats. There may be terrains and situations in which this tire performs well, but the rocky desert terrain of Tucson Arizona is not one of them.

Favorite Trail:   Tucson Mountain Park

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kinetics

Bike Setup:   2009 Kona 5-O

Submitted by tag007 a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NH

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, Corners Well, Tough Sidewalls

Weaknesses:    Doesn't Shed Mud, Spins a bit on the roots.

Bottom Line:
These seem pretty fast. I've only ridden them in the fall in New England and I'm pleased. Minus the few spin outs on the roots and the few side-slips in the thicker mud at high speeds I'm pumped. For the pice they seem like a good value.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock

Purchased At:   Blue Cycle

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Enduro Stock

Submitted by apache448 a Cross Country Rider from españa

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    todos es un buen neumatico trasero,rueda bien

Weaknesses:    desgaste rapido,delante llevo el prowler mx 2.5 y esta muy nuevo sin embargo el xt ya esta bastanter desgastado

Bottom Line:
un buen neumatico trasero ,buen agarre lateral y lastra poco ,junto con el exiwolf creo que los 2 son los mejores neumaticos trasero que hay,recomendable.ahora pondre detras el prowler mx 2.3

Favorite Trail:   todos

Purchased At:   chainreationcycles

Similar Products Used:   wtb wweirwolf,exiwolf specialized etc

Bike Setup:   MONDRAKER DUNE

Submitted by Evan a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light?

Weaknesses:    -Keeps un-beading itself on undemanding terrain
-Does not corner good
-Does not grip well on anything besides flat concrete

Bottom Line:
I would only recommend this tire to people who are looknig to replace their walmart bike tires, as these have given me nothing but problems from day one. Slides out in turns, cannot put within the reccomended pressure as the sidewall starts to cave in, small weak bead that unseats itself, and sidewalls that are as thin as paper.
bottom line? STAY AWAY!

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can be put as similar as i have never rode any tire that has given me this many problems while still being brand new.

Bike Setup:   2009 Slayer SXC70, mostly stock.

Submitted by bburwell a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent grip in loose, rocky, sandy terrain. climbs well and holds great on the decent

Weaknesses:    A little heavy compared to the nevegals I had but they were also 2.1

Bottom Line:
Super stoked on the tires. I felt the nevegals wore out too soon and from the reviews this may be the case with these too but they are so cheap on not too worried about it. Feel so much more confident on these tires than the nevegals

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, panaracer fire xc pro

Bike Setup:   Santa Sruz Superlight, FOX RLC 120 fork

Submitted by birddog99 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Traction, price

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I rode Prowler XT as a rear tire for the first time downhilling. Very predictable, great traction. The trails
started out loose and dry, then it rained very hard. The
tire just freakin grips anything, wet, dry, packed or loose.
I like it just as well so far as my Nevegal.

Favorite Trail:   Procipine Rim

Purchased At:   www.wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Minion, High Roller

Bike Setup:   Nomad, Lyrik, DHX 5.0 Pushed, 650b front wheel

Submitted by XLE_biker a Cross Country Rider from Northern Utah

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Uber sticky. All around great traction, and not bad in the weight department too. I have the Prowler XT on the front, and the Prowler SS on the rear. The SS has filler tread right down the center of the tire where the XT does not. This makes the wear factor.... less of a factor. I have had these tires on slickrock around Moab and they hang on better than most. Gloppy clay that can build up does not seem to happen with these. Tacky in the corners and really make singletrack a blast in the downhill with the Rear Prowler SS inflated to 50 lbs, and the front Prowler XT inflated to 30 lbs. So far so good!

Weaknesses:    Prowler XT mounted on the rear wheel wears fast, better used on the front imo.

Bottom Line:
Keep an eye on Bike Nashbar for these tires. Nashbar's shipping is really slow, so I call Price Point (or anybody with decent shipping) and most will price match an existing online ad. Got the last 2 Prowler SS tires for $19.99 each, but have missed them priced at $9.99 each. These are great rubber for the price.

Purchased At:   Price Point [price m

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevagal

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, SRAM X9, Mavic rims, Raceface cranks, blah blah blah.

Submitted by flopper12 a Weekend Warrior from Southeastern Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    Grips in every condition, corners well, rolls very nicely

Weaknesses:    Short lifespan

Bottom Line:
Great tire for any condition, period. Rocks, slippery roots, hardpack, sand, greasy clay....this tire is hooking up. Seems to wear quick like others have said, but for $31 for two tires shipped to my door, I can afford to keep a fresh tire on the rear. I'm very pleased with my purchase thanks to the reviews on MTBR.com...thought I'd give back with my own review and help someone else make the right choice. I'll post back a long-haul review once I get some more time on it. For now, I've found my rear tire choice.

Favorite Trail:   anything at Lake Hope

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minion DH R, Panaracer Fire XC

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 pretty much stock, moto lever set-up, Race Face bash guard, WTB Speed V seat, WTB Stout 2.3 Front tire

Submitted by Grant.W a Downhiller from Poway, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    Very good tread pattern, nicely shaped, relatively light. Would be excellent as a cross-country or light all mountain tire. Great for dirt jumping on soft ground, climbs well enough.

Weaknesses:    Small knobs, which is bad when you ride on a rock garden with a dust coating all the way down. Has very mellow side knobs for gripping flat turns.

Bottom Line:
A great cross country tire, due to its low-ish profile and light knobs, but not quite burly enough for Freeride or heavy AM riding. Loses traction on anything slick, but will make up for its traction weaknesses with its light weight and well shaped knobs. If you are a cross country rider on a budget, this should be a great tire for you, but for FR or DH, consider a 2.5 with tall knobs, for better dig.

Favorite Trail:   4G's

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda nevegals

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse sachem 4.0 2009

Submitted by HR_XC a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Grip on wet surfaces, sidewall strength, easy of install

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Got a set off Ebay for cheap. For what I use them for, they are the greatest investment I have on my bike so far. People complain because they expect something more that I am sure the very expensive tires can provide. I expect a tire that will grip on wet leaves/roots/random rocks/and wet up hills without breaking the bank and that is exactly what this tire is. Granted I have only ridden it for less than 50miles, but the tread is still good to go and I am more confident in my riding. This is a great beginner tire and I am happy with my purchase!

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kenda's that came on the bike

Bike Setup:   Giant Boulder SE Prowler XT on the back and MAXXIS Highroller up front

Submitted by CraptacularOne a Cross Country Rider from Hollywood FL

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent climbing traction, low rolling resistance, and sheds mud very well.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I have this as my rear tire and at long last my search for a rear tire is over. This will be my rear tire until they come out with something better. The climbing traction is unbelievable and the rolling resistance is far better than any other tire with this kind of traction for climbs. You can feel this thing grabbing the terrain as you pedal up an incline. No spinning, no slipping, just unrelenting traction to keep you moving where you're pointed. If your trail require you to climb, you need to try this tire as your rear.

Favorite Trail:   Washing Machine

Purchased At:   Bikes & Boards

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   08 Felt Redemption 3, Marzocchi 55 ATA, Avid Juicy 7's, Shimano XT shifters, Fizik Gobi XM saddle, eggbeater C pedals.

Submitted by ICPAYDIRT a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Very grippy climber, fast rolling, good cornering, reliable, high volume.

Weaknesses:    Soft rubber performs very well but wears out faster.

Bottom Line:
I've only used it as a rear tire and it has performed superb. I think the first thing I would say is to expect the grippy rubber and tread pattern to perform excellent on technical climbs. Dispite being made with a softer durameter, the tire still rolls very fast on the downhills and flats. Corners well, brakes well, pretty much does everything well. High volume tire so it can handle the pointy sharp stuff better. I'm a 210 lb aggressive trail/all mountain rider so its not easy to get good durability in a single ply tire. I can say that after about 8 months of experience with these tires I've had very few pinch flats when I run 40 psi or better. Sure I would like to run lower pressure but this tire lets you get away with more pressure due to the stickiness of the rubber. The only knock on this tire is that it will begin to break down after about 3 or 4 months of hard riding so plan on buying an extra tire than you might otherwise over the course of a year or so. In my opinion, I would rather buy the extra tire and enjoy solid performance year round.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   raffle

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis High Roller, WTB Dissent

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad, Fox 36, DHX Ti Coil

Submitted by skibum1 a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Beefy all conditions tire

Weaknesses:    Little heavy

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best rear tire to own. I went back to this tire after experimenting with others (WTB Weirwolf & LT, Nevegals, Panaracers). I run this tire reverse tread. It bites into the dirt, never slip when climbing. Its a beast. Almost a downhill tire but I am x country rider. I will always use this tire on the rear. I've used it on the front but dont like it, little too knobby. I've also yet to pinch flat.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf

Bike Setup:   Titanium beauty

Submitted by BlueEyeMountain.com a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    Durable sidewalls, light for its size, high volume

Weaknesses:    Extremely short tread-life (lasts about a month), poor traction, poor braking, skids too easily, pinch flats at low PSI

Bottom Line:
Seemed like an exceptable tire at first, but it never really impressed me. My main gripe is that the center knobs are nearly gone after only 4 months of riding about once a week mainly on trails that do not have a lot of bedrock outcrops.

Part of the reason I think the tread is so worn is because this tire easily locks up when braking. The skids are usually quite controlled, which is nice, but the skidding is not intentional and the knobs are getting quickly eaten away. The skidding potential also causes me to be more conservative on long, steep rock faces because I know the rear tire will skid if I do not use a lot of front brake.

The tire also easily pinch flats if inflated under 35 PSI. At 30 PSI, the traction was pretty good, but I got tired of changing a tube every ride so I increased the pressure to 35 PSI. Now the traction is average to worse than average.

The only positive I can say about this tire is that the sidewalls have held up quite well even though I know I have caught them on sharp rocks. The casing is 60 TPI so the sideall durability is somewhat expected though. The tire is designed for loose conditions so perhaps I would be happier with it if I never rode on rocks or hardpack. It never seemed to impress me on loose terrain though.

This tire looks cool, which is why I bought it, but there are a lot better performing, longer-lasting, and cheaper tires out there.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minion DH 2.35, Specialized Enduro Pro 2.3, WTB Timberwolf 2.5, Ritchey Motovader 2.4

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Enduro Expert, Mavic DeeTrax rims

WTB Prowler XT 2.3 go tubeless?

Has anyone ever gone tubeless with WTB Prowler XTs? Picked up a pair for a too low to pass up price and am looking at mounting them on a pair of Mavic Crosstrail wheels. Is this doable?Read More »

WTB Prowler XT 2.3 - First Impressions

I have been enjoying this new rubber from WTB on my last few rides. They are replacing my old standby 2.35 DTC Kenda Nevegals, so this is a direct comparison between the two tires. Hopefully this will give a good reference point for most people since the Nevegal is an extremely common choice. If you ... Read More »