Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB NanoRaptor 2.1 Tire

3.69/5 (58 Reviews)
Weight : 575 grams MSRP : $19.98

• Large volume versatile cross country racing and freeride tire
  • Excellent grip control with very low rolling resistance
  • Laser with Inner Peace: 640 grams, Folding: 575 grams
  • Also available in 29" Dual (700c) Steel DNA: 630 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Acemarklao

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2013

Strengths:    Fair price
    Weight
    Less rolling resistance
    Good looking tire

Weaknesses:    No grip on moist or wet pavement.
    pebbles get stuck on treads

Bottom Line:
    I got mine on a discount. Rolling is fast on my 29er. I crashed twice in a span of a week. It started to be rainy here in the Philippines. On both incident that I crashed, I was cornering on a moist concrete road after a rain. It wasn't fast at all, and my bike lost its grip. abrasions on my knee resulted with that. I think this tire could get me killed.

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Strengths:    They good and that's it.

Weaknesses:    The micro tread gets INSTANTLY caked the moment you add any kind of moisture to the ground. Little to no grip in turns. No sidewall grep or bite. Large balloon-esque casing nearly doesn't fit most front fork forks...

Bottom Line:
    Sorry but this really is a bad tire.

It's cheap and comes on most bikes as a factory default. You see why very quickly.

If you live in a dry desert-like area or you are looking for an on-road some times offroad tire for your campus cruiser then maybe this tire is OK. However;

The tread gets instantly caked in anything moist. Resulting an endless spinning and a deadly game of Russian Roullete.

There is nearly no side tread so bunny hopping out of tractor ruts, or dirt bike ruts, is impossible. Even just following along on previous MTB riders single track becomes a Vegas gamble.

I am certain that the center line strip of rubber down the middle causes the tire not to track straight always to one side.

The casing size of tire is large. The front tire comes so close to touching the fork bridge that any leaves or mud get caught up there ALL THE TIME and rub.

I am 95kg and ride a heavy 29er with 17c rims. I tried 2.0 Bar to nearly 4.0 bar. With no positive result.

Will be going to another tire this season for sure.

Submitted by Ethan

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, cheap price.

Weaknesses:    Very little side grip, likes to slid out on almost all surfaces.

Bottom Line:
    These tires come on the 26er hard tail that I got for free. They are great for dual sporting (street/trail) but not so great as a trail only tire. They are great if you are racing as the rolling resistance is very low and they pedal great, the same goes for riding on the street. But if you push them on the downhill and like to lean deep into turns they let go very soon. I have these on the front and bike of my bike, I would keep them on the back but for the front I personally would go for something with a little more grip considering anything resembling hard corning results in a front end slid. But for the price and if you need a new tire I would say go for it, just adapt your riding style to the tires, making sure to brake really early and not push it to hard in the corners.

Submitted by Billy C a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Very Light , fast , low rolling Resistance on hard pack.
    good strong side walls.

Weaknesses:    will not hold a line in anything loose. little flotation.
    outer treads sheered off on rear.( in a month )

Bottom Line:
    I bought theses tires for a race and did really well.
    I easily passed many riders on the hard pack and climbs.
    This was surprising as I am 50 and a new rider.
    I expected them to be squirrely in the corners and loose stuff and just slowed down. When just out riding I had the tires slip out for underneath me so quickly I was on the ground before I knew what happened. I switched to the 2.3 exiwolfs and I am fast up and down the hill.The nanos where
    interesting but I will not use then where I ride again.

Favorite Trail:   Anadel /Tahoe

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Pythons , Parana's,wolverines,exiwolfs,panaracers,etc

Bike Setup:   07&10 stumpjumpers

Submitted by emski a Cross Country Rider from La Crosse, WI USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, feedback in turns, supportive profile

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
    Purchased for racing/speed with just enough grip to feel safe. Installed tubeless. Felt as fast or even faster than Small Block eights. They are skinny for a 2.1 measurement. They have a flatter (less round) profile so when you lean in to a turn you feel more support from the tire with less lean angle. I've only run these on the front tire in mostly dry, hardpack conditions with some gravel, sand, etc. As other reviewers mentioned, they have an unusual feel when turning...must be the transition from 80% rubber on the (almost) continuous center strip to almost 80% air when contact moves away from the center. I found that once I got used to it, I could turn hard, exceed the tire's limits on loose surfaces yet still have enough grip and time to react with minimal loss of speed. I'm going to stick with these on the front until I see a reason not to.

Favorite Trail:   Human Powered Trails

Purchased At:   Bikes Limited

Similar Products Used:   Kenda SB8's, Kenda Nevegal, WTB velociraptor, WTB all-terrainasaurus, studded Hakkapelittas, Pythons, various slicks, etc.

Bike Setup:   2007 Marin Pine Mountain steel HT

Submitted by CAW a Cross Country Rider from Westchester NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    Works well both on roads to the trail and on the trail; good rolling resistance, decent grip when the off-road gets more serious. Corners well off-road and on. 2.1 size is good for folks riding a rigid fork who want a bit of poor person's shock absorption ;-) seems to do ok on technical trails.

Weaknesses:    Not a great climbing tire if you rely on the tire to get the grip for you; ok if you know how to shift your weight to increase traction. Not a mudder so have to pick your lines well if the trail is wet...

Bottom Line:
    Tires were cheap so I took a chance; I've been pleasantly surprised with them and not just b/c of the cost. They roll well on hardpack / road, corner pretty well (kind of remind me of old Psycho IIs from yesteryear but without the high ridge on the side tread), not the best tire for digging in on climbs but if you know how to get your weight onto the back wheel you can compensate for that pretty well. Trails where I ride are technical and get hairy, so these tires do get tested. It's a great tire if you spend some time riding to the trail, some time on paved bike paths, and some on the rooty trails; it's not a good muck tire which is a typical trade-off for a low rolling-resistance tire but can't have it all can you? :-) Don't be fooled by the non-knobby appearance, this tire can hold its own off-road but only if you know how to work the bike a bit (I ride a rigid fork and have to pick lines carefully; this probably is NOT a good tire for a FS basher-type...) A good tire if you're not swapping different ones for different days...

Favorite Trail:   Graham Hills, Pleasantville

Purchased At:   Nashbar (I think)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roll-X (stock); Continental Top Touring 2000; Specialized Comp Pro, Psycho II (showing my age here)

Bike Setup:   Specialized RockHopper, upgraded it to all Deore 9spd, rigid fork, clipless, Vuelta ZeroLite rims, Shimano hubs, some upgraded brake pads, SRAM chain (forget which one- works fine), Scott HotRod flat bar 144 grams

Submitted by Mister2992 a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, long lasting. Great price.

Weaknesses:    sidewalls a little thin, cannot rub anything or could ruin tire w/ high pressure. Braking performance adequate but not excellent- but still worth it.

Bottom Line:
    Great tire. Excellent price. The rolling resitance is awesome at first. As tire wears, rolling resitance
    is not as awesome, but still very very good. Excellent packed snow traction. Nice size. Great value.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by heathrow a Cross Country Rider from ellisville, missouri united states

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    rolling speed, weight, traction

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    impressed with the speed on pavement and traction on most trail. Hard to beat for an all around tire.

Favorite Trail:   castlewood park

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   maxxis holy rollers- cst caballeros

Bike Setup:   stock dawes deadeye single speed 29er

Submitted by Richwon4 a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN, Untites States

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    Low Resistance on packed surface and hard tops. Seems to be light weight.

Weaknesses:    Seems about a cross between a mountain bike tire and hybrid tire. If that is what they were going for fine.

Bottom Line:
    I will live with them for now but tires will be my first upgrade. I probly won't ride them if it is wet out. Tires are not a game breaker for me when considering the purchase of my moto 29er. These tires really don't belong on a Mountain Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Franke Park

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by NoVA_JB a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Strengths:    Great traction and low price make these a winner.

Bottom Line:
    I took a gamble with with these tires, I found them from Nashbar for $9.99 each and figured if I didn't like them no big loss.
    I have to say they are fantastic, they've taken evey terain I've thrown at them, mud, rock gardens, wet and dry.
    I've spent 4 time on other tires and would buy these again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Front: Tioga Yellow Kirin 26 x 2.3 Rear: 26 x 2.1 Blue Dragon

Bike Setup:   2006 GT I-Drive 5 3.0

Submitted by Roller a Weekend Warrior from Van Nuys, Calif. USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    durable; good traction; cheap; high quality WTB product

Weaknesses:    hard ride, small knobs fill up with mud quickly

Bottom Line:
    These tires are really good for the weekend trail rider.

I kept tearing the sidewalls of other tires - including a Panaracer Fire Pro - and so I thought I'd try these. At $7 each, why not?

Well, I have been very plesantly surprised, and the only complaint I have is that they ride rather hard on my Raliegh hardtail.

But I'm getting used to it, and the way these stick through the corners is amazing.

The bike now handles much better on road and off, and the compound seems to be very durable as far as resisting cuts and so forth.

It's almost like riding on street tires as far as rolling resistance, but there is good confidence on the dirt trails, and I don't hesitate now to put the bike anywhere I might care to go offroad - except in mud.

Favorite Trail:   Balboa basin

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike

Similar Products Used:   stock Kenda tires; Panaracer

Bike Setup:   2001 Raliegh M50 with substancial upgrades

Submitted by mtbprophet17 a Racer from New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely Low Rolling Resistance, Great XC Race tire, similar to the Hutchinson Pythons that have become popular in the racing community.

Weaknesses:    Not a lot of indication before it slides, Takes practice to ride the tire safely at high speed.

Bottom Line:
    Very cheap Tire, as long as you are willing to put the time in to learn their limits, a great buy. Don't buy expecting to be able to ride them full out right off the bat, and they are not for downhill. At most they could be used for all-mountain riding, but even that may be pushing it.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis Morris, NJ

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, Panaracer FireXCPro, WTB Velociraptor, Geax Streetrunners

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Warrior Race, set up to race

Submitted by bigpedaler a Cross Country Rider from NE Indiana

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Strengths:    Easy installation, light, roll fast, don't pack up with debris

Weaknesses:    not a true 2.1, more like 1.95

Bottom Line:
    The only better/faster tire I've ever ridden over hardpack/pavement is the Micro Knobby, and it can't handle dirt. This one can! It doesn't pack up with debris or snow (on my commute), and rolls faster than a few urban tires I've tried. They can slip if you're not careful in the damp/wet.

It's just not a true 2.1 as labeled; the 1.95's I replaced with the Nano's are the same width.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   Performance.com

Similar Products Used:   Weiwolf, Hutch Spider, Scorpion, IRC Mythos, Intense Micro Knobby, etc.

Bike Setup:   Dakar XLT, Nixon, RaceFace, X.9, BB7

Submitted by Rinaldo Moon a Weekend Warrior from Chino Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap
    Rolls well on pavement
    Good grip on fireroads and smooth singletrack

Weaknesses:    Tread picks up pebbles and flings them at you.

Bottom Line:
    Good tire for the price. I use them more on pavement than trails. The pebble flinging thing kinda pisses me off. This tire is perfect for the casual rider who occasionaly wants to go off road.

Favorite Trail:   Chino Hills State Park

Purchased At:   on sale at JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   1993 Diamondback Sorrento converted to singlespeed.

Submitted by da bubba a Weekend Warrior from Valpo

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Good Grip on any dry surface.

Weaknesses:    A little slow on pavement compared to the semi-slicks I used to run, hard to put on.

Bottom Line:
    Rode through dirt and mud, over log bridges, and the tire held. I keep seeing them for cheaper prices, maybe I should stock up. I would definitely need a tire lever.

Favorite Trail:   Westville