Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 Tire

4.26/5 (93 Reviews)

Fast, large and nimble tire for technical trails
  • Super quick center section with large piercing outside knobs
  • Great for endurance freeriding and plush XC use
  • Race 595g
  • Laser DH 1225g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by aroundoz a Weekend Warrior from Nelson, BC

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Fast and confident.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
    I like trying something new when I replace parts but this will be the front tire I will always come back to. Light, large volume, and grips like crazy. How a MTB tire rolls on pavement shouldn't sway you to buy it but because it's the dirt that matters but having said that, this tire rolls great on pavement which is good since I try and ride to my ride.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that has a nice climb and fast and flowy desscent.

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Prophet 3Z

Submitted by Dgremlin@cox.net a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and Fat. Can run lower pressures. Rides good and has great traction.

Weaknesses:    Rear Lugs tearing off.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these tires about 6 years ago. I only rode a few times then the bike got hung on my bedroom wall for a few years. I just got back into biking and after about 12 or 14 rides, I noticed about a dozen lugs have ripped off the back tire. They shouldn't have dry rotted hanging in my bedroom so I don't know what happened.

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Specialized, numerous models.

Bike Setup:   1997 Specialized Ground Control

Submitted by aa1pr a Weekend Warrior from Brandon VT

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Good construction, tread design and depth.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls but I love thick sidewalls anyhow

Bottom Line:
    Wanted the Velociraptor but it is not available wider than 2.1 so I thought what the hell if I use the moto raptor on the back and the mutano raptor on the front as it is similar to the velociraptor front tire V tread design and it works amazing. Nice knobs for cornering.The moto does the digging and the mutano takes the steering.
    This tire handles mud great so far.

Favorite Trail:   BackWoods

Purchased At:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Kenda

Bike Setup:   Who cares

Submitted by dollabills a Cross Country Rider from maryland

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    I run this tire up front in the Summer and Fall. It's fast and beefy and gives me a lot of confidence when I look down on it.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    Great tire.

Favorite Trail:   patapsco

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX

Submitted by Bobby Turner a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans,La.

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    A very fast and agile tire. Rolling resistance is outstanding. I have experienced only (1) flat tire. I also
    do some commuting and the streets are covered with broken glass and debris. Also I enjoy the stability of these tires
    when I encounter sand, soft mud and tree roots. Great commuter tires when riding through the busy French Quarter
    area!

Weaknesses:    No weakeness to report at this time. This tire performs well for the intended activities.

Bottom Line:
    Purchase these tires and hit the road,and trails. Enjoy
    your rides these tires area solid dependable investment!

Favorite Trail:   levees around the lakefront

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Kenda tires.

Bike Setup:   06 KHS Solo One single speed size medium. Bike is stock except a carbon fiber handlebar and Surly chain tensioner

Submitted by welcha13 a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Grabs quite well off road, rolls VERY well on pavement

Weaknesses:    not too great in soft sand

Bottom Line:
    The first thing I do when I get off road tires is test them on a dirt road to see what their limit is. I do slalom type curves down the road hard and sharper until it gives.
    This one was doing ok and just when I started to think "Not too ba.." I wiped out. It was in a pretty loose sandy spot so I didn't count against it too bad.

On the trails it has held up better than I suspected it would. I can't plow through soft sand like the velociraptors though. The one thing that amazed me about this is how smooth it was on the pavement. I was not expecting that. :)
    5 chilis for value... it is quite a great tire for the price.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptors

Bike Setup:   K2 proflex 5000, XT-XTR everything

Submitted by T_woot a Cross Country Rider from Auburn CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    I used this tire for all mountain-everything riding on my Full Susp. I rode it from dry loose conditions, to dry hard packs, to soaked outside in all types of environments. This tire performed great as a rear tire, if you like to slide your bike around corners and really push your speed its awesome, its very predictable and once you get the feel you can really get going and hook up in all conditions listed. Climbing it was decent, but the Kenda Nevegal I used last beat it in the conditions listed. Downhill in was great, uphill it wasn't terrible but not comparable to some deep digging wider knobs. It was pretty decent on wet rocks but not too decent in mud. Hitting drops and jumps it was great, super soft rubber and it actually feels like it (safely) give your bike an extra half inch inch of travel providing for pretty damn good control overall including braking. Not great as a front, I paired it with a WTB Prowler 2.5 which was flippin great on the down and worth climbing with cause for me weight doesn't top fun, weightweiners.

Weaknesses:    I've been rocking this tire for around 3 maybe almost four months and the knobs have started going south. Small chips in the knobs and all around wear. I can feel the speed and control in the conditions (winter, mud, climbing, rocks)still not too bad on the corners though but climbing its getting tedious, and wet rocks are impossible to hook up on. It will still be usable for a few more rides this spring when its fully dry but for now I've gone to a Continental Gravity 2.3, This tire coming right off of the WTB makes me want to just go drop another 45-50 on this WTB or another.

Bottom Line:
    Great rear tire for all conditions except for the super muddy after it has been used but isn't quite dead. Didn't enjoy as a front.

Favorite Trail:   Randoms in Annadel S.P.

Purchased At:   Auburn Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.3 front/rear, got better with age. WTB moto raptor front velociraptor rear wore out quick but hauled ass. This tire as both front/rear then used as rear with Prowler 2.5.

Bike Setup:   2007 Stumpjumper FSR, DeeMax, XTR front der. Sram X-9 rear. Thompson post. Avid Juciy 5

Submitted by el matador a Cross Country Rider from SoCal/Santa Monica

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    rolls quick, very light for a 2.4 (even though its more like a 2.25), good cornering as long as you keep pressures reasonable, I'm 165 and I run them at 30 psi

Weaknesses:    not as stiff a sidewall as I'd like, but that keeps the weight down I guess

Bottom Line:
    A good price point for what seems to be a great "All-Mountain" tire...rolls smooth, pretty light, grips well in all but the dustiest of conditions. I'll see how long they last. Just make sure to keep them at a low enough pressure to do their jobs- they're not road bike tires!

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry Peak to JPL

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Factory DH 2.35, IRC crapcountry's

Bike Setup:   Fisher Cake 05, Vanilla R 130, XT shimano stuff, pretty ordinary

Submitted by m85476585 a Weekend Warrior from NV

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    Lots of traction. Not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    The trails around here are really sandy and/or dusty, and my old tires had basically no grip on them. I could barely stay upright on my bike, and going up hills was impossible. With the Mutano Raptors (front and back), I can ride just fine on most sand/loose dirt as long as it is not too deep. I also rode on a packed trail, and I didn't notice any issues except for nearly wiping out on a pile of loose rocks (but that's not a problem with the tires). Installation was not too bad (it was my first time replacing tires)--The front one went on easy, but for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting the back one on, even though the wheels are identical.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones ACX (stock)

Submitted by vic_brodie a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    Low weight, low rolling reistance, good price, longevity, great climbing / cornering traction, runs well as tubeless with Stan's sealant

Weaknesses:    Difficult to set tire in in tubeless, but once set has gven no problems

Bottom Line:
    Fantastic all purpose tire! The centre line ridges make for very low rolling resistance and the side grip design offer great handling. I just used them in the 2008 TransRockies and they performed flawlessly in all conditions. Best all around tire I've ever used, especially when running in tubeless mode between 30-40 psi.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL, XT all around, Stans rims

Submitted by myheadhurtsbecuaseofrstshocks a Cross Country Rider from san jose, CA, san jose?

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    really affortable, fits my tempoary fork, grippy

Weaknesses:    dosent come with a self enclosed air pump.

Bottom Line:
    these tires are really good for what i do,( commute, commute in wet weather, commute in sandy roads, ride to school(wait... thats commuting:D), rides on trails.) these tires might not be 2.4 but they grip like them....

Favorite Trail:   anything i can go to:D

Purchased At:   sun bike shop

Similar Products Used:   specialized tires

Submitted by Dale a Cross Country Rider from DouthatStatePark, VA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    Cushy, grippy, strong sidewalls, durable, handle low pressure well, low weight for a 2.4 (get the "RACE" model, NOT Performance's current "SE", a heavier version and don't know about thread count, etc.) I use FRONT AND REAR just fine. I weigh 150+ and often run below 30 w/o problems, 32psi is my target range. Low rolling resistance, excellent center tread gives great wear in spite of moderate amount of paved & gravel road use. (900 miles on 1st set, still PLENTY left, have to study to tell new ones from old, side by side.) I've had no problems whether dry, wet, or whatever conditions. I was a die-hard 2.1 folding Panarace FireXC Pro user for years. Now have 3 brand new ones just waiting for some use, but the Mutanoraptors have taken over.
    Oh, and for the guy who said he had trouble w/a "defective" wave in one tire: I thought I had 2 of them like that UNTIL I inflated them much higher and they FINALLY popped fully into place on new Tubeless Ready Mavic CrossTrail rims. I had major waves, didn't see that they weren't fully hooked up yet until I switched to old rim w/same tire and the "wave" was gone. Set it back on the CrossTrails and inflated to 60psi and LOUD pop as they seated correctly. Then I dropped 'em back to about 32psi and they're fine! The good news was that I could install them by hand on the CrossTrail rim but had to fight some using tire levers to get them onto a Mavic 717 rim.

Weaknesses:    I find none, really. Biggest complaints I've read here are solved by running lower pressure. And you do NOT have to use Stan's to achieve that.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent all-round tire, IMO. No complaints, only smiles. Sorry they haven't satisfied everyone, but I'll whine if they ever leave the market!! Price might be high at full retail, but you should be able to find at sale price somewhere. Then stock up!!

Favorite Trail:   StonyRun-Middle Mountain north

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 was my standard for years. Only tried these because they are light enough to be comparable. I'm not pushing a 700+ gram tire up the mountains, especially since these are so good, and under 600 grams.

Bike Setup:   '98 Klein Mantra, in Blastberry Chameleon, the coolest paint job ever, :-) XT drive system, old-style Hayes hydraulics (I have a '99 rear triangle, allowing for discs), '08 Untested RockShox Revelation/(but if it fails to satisfy, I will return to '04 Fox TALAS R, after sending it to be PUSH-ed), CaneCreek CloudNine rear shock (TOO SWEET; it completely upgraded the bike in mind-boggling fashion), Mavic CrossTrails (still too early to pass judgment on these, but seem pretty nice; definitely very cool looking, but I'm wired to function first, so we'll see.)

Submitted by Dale a Cross Country Rider from DouthatStatePark, VA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Favorite Trail:   StonyRun-Middle Mountain north

Submitted by Jason Voelkel a Cross Country Rider from Mpls,MN

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2008

Strengths:    High Volume, Fast rolling, predictable tire. Actually work OK in spotty mud conditions but full blown rain, not great. Using on front and rear with awesome results. Roll over anything with no problems.

Weaknesses:    weight- have wire bead version

Bottom Line:
    Good all around tire which I highly recommend for dry conditions and rocky sections due to high vol. rollability.
    One of the best high vol. tires on the market IMHO.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Lake-Wisconsin