Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 Tire

4.39/5 (77 Reviews)

• Multiple tread edges and big outside knobs with a square profile
  • Trail, Freeride, XC Trail and Slalom Tire
  • Race (690g) and Laser (795g)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Kinan a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    2.2 race.
    Predictable turn in when on the rear at speed, good rolling resistance when on the front. Good life span.

Weaknesses:    On the front not good for dg over hardpack on slow, steep (25%) descents lets go w/o warning and has sketchy turn in. When on the rear seems slow, heavy and squirms a lot on sharp slower turns even though I'm running the 2.2 on 27 mm rims, didn't matter what the pressure was couldn't get rid of the slop. On slower sharp dips into small dipped washes with tight turns never felt settled, always felt like ready to wash out. not confidence inspiring. Will probably go back to Exiwolf which this replaced.

Bottom Line:
    I really wanted to like this tire but can't get over the unsettling feeling I get when riding it. Not confidence inspiring on the front or the rear here in socal dg over hardpack. I suppose if it had something to bite into it would do better.

Favorite Trail:   PQ, Hodges, Raptor Ridge

Purchased At:   chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolf 2.4, nevegals, small block 8, panaracer fire xc.

Bike Setup:   Chumba VF2, rockshocx vivid & revelation. 29.5 lbs. Running w/wierwolf 2.55 on the front, (awesome tire!!)

Submitted by espy a Weekend Warrior from St George, ut, usa

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Great gripper in all conditions. Good cornering and fast roller.Long tread life.

Weaknesses:    Side wall lettering life is short lived.

Bottom Line:
    I Have had and still having better experience with this tire than some of the other reviewers here. I ride the many conditions that utah has to offer. Rocky trails,multi condition climbs, powdery dust to hardpacked single track. I also ride these same tires twice a year at the Grand canyon's north rim. They have performed very consistantly in all arenas. The side lugs give me more confidence in the turns than any other tire I have ridden in the past and thats why they have been the only rubber that I have put on my bike for 2 1/2 yrs

Favorite Trail:   Barrel Roll,Jem Loop

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   WTB Wolverine

Bike Setup:   "03" Specialized Enduro

Submitted by colin1 a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    Price? But I don't care about that now since I was getting flats and will have to switch to another tire

Weaknesses:    Skinny, pinch flats

Bottom Line:
    I was disappointed with how skinny the tire was when I got it. I was even more disappointed when I got two pinch flats on the type of impacts that other tires have taken no problem. I was running 37lbs of pressure; perhaps what I was doing was beyond what the tire was designed for, although it is listed as XC aannndd AM on the WTB website. I was running the 2.2 Race version

Similar Products Used:   Weirwolfs, Nevegals, Minion DHFs

Submitted by Cascadia a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Strengths:    Does what WTB says it'll do: sticks dry to moderately damp hardpack,gravel, light mud.

Weaknesses:    a little sketchy on the road, especially when it is wet. I was hoping that these tires would provide on-road grip to and from the trails. This is ok when it is dry (you can hear them straining to grip, but that's ok), but when it is damp or wet, these become a little squirmy. This could be fixed if WTB siped the side/ center knobs like they do on the Wierwolf...

Bottom Line:
    Overall, I am pleased with these tires. They do what they say they will do very well. I have tractored up trails steeper than 30 degrees no problem. They tend to pack up a bit, but most tires do. While I would like to see a siped version, I am happy with these. They do drift, but it is highly predictable (you can feel them let go slowly, it is really strange).

Great buy, durable.

Favorite Trail:   PNW singletrack

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, WTB Prowler SS

Bike Setup:   05 Hardrock Comp Disc

Submitted by rmillet a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy Rear, low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Width, durometer, front tire performance

Bottom Line:
    My chilis will reflect rear tire performance (that's what these were designed for after all). I tried on the front, but in loose over packed, they had a lot more drift as a front tire than my WTB Wolverines (although it was a predictable drift, never let loose).

As a rear, they climb well, the directional layout of the knobs seems to favor prevention of lateral slide out, and the tall side knobs are great in fast leaning turns, and off camber turns as well.

The soft durometer of these tires...I don't expect to last long at all. I have many of the side knobs ripped down to the tire cords/casing.....rocky conditions will eat these in no time.

Overall, an excellent fast rolling rear tire with decent wear in dirt IMO (rocks....not so much, hardcore riders in rocks would eat these in couple months). I will likely try something else next time....unless a harder version is available. 3 value chilis for durability, 4 for rear riding performance.

Favorite Trail:   Dry Fast Ones

Purchased At:   Action Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Wolverines, FireXCPros, MotoRaptors

Bike Setup:   2009 DB Sortie3

Submitted by yerodtr a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Great rolling resistance. Very quick tire. Good weight as well.

Shines the best with hard packed and mostly dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Not the best for cornering in general. Really weak when it comes to anything loose (pine needles, leaves, and even sand).

Also, it picks up EVERYTHING. Never before have I had to stop three times per ride and pull crap out of my brakes, cassette and/or derailleur. Just weird how much stuff it picks up. Very annoying.

Bottom Line:
    As much as I initially liked these, after 6 months and 600+ miles, I will not re-buy them. There is just not enough cornering grip for me. Plus, I can't stand having to clean stuff out of brakes, cassette, and derailleur every ride.

So close to being a great tire.

Favorite Trail:   Balm Boyette

Purchased At:   BlueSky

Similar Products Used:   Switched over from Nevegals (wanted more speed and I got it).

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance

Submitted by cdlinz a Cross Country Rider from athens, ga

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Strengths:    grip

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
    been using panaracer fires forever. but never liked the tendency to break away up front. the 2.24 mutano raptor is an excellent front tire and almost never loses grip up front. still satisfied with the fire for a rear tire.

Favorite Trail:   chicopee

Similar Products Used:   panaracer fire, various hutchinson

Bike Setup:   giant trance xo

Submitted by Finch Platte a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent cornering, good wear.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
    Wow. This tire has greatly improved my confidence in the corners & high-speed rocky sections. I was running Panaracer Fire 2.4s in the front for the cush, but these things grip like magnets witouh sacrificing too much of the rock absorption. I'm using them in the front only, and like a poster below, the Cinders in the rear. I like the cush of the Cinders on my SS in back, so I've only used the Mutanos in the front, as they don't have the huge knobs of the Cinders for the back.

Point & hang on, that's all I can say. These tires are most excellent. I saw them in Performance marked way down, so I bought one, tried it & went back & bought the rest.

Don't listen to the guy a few down who says these don't hook up in the corners. He's been smoking something. :^P

Hope these are still being made!?!

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls, Skyline (Napa)

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fires & Cinders.

Bike Setup:   Zion SS.

Submitted by ousooner98 a Weekend Warrior from Cortez, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2008

Strengths:    Fast rolling design well suited for the desert southwest. 1 flat all season which is good for this area. Great in loose over hard pack. These don't easily drift. Climbs surprisingly well. The 2.24 does really well in deep sand.

Weaknesses:    They turn into a pumpkin after one drop of water. To their credit WTB specifies that this tire is designed for dry terrain they were not exaggerating. Wait to put these on after the spring rains and before the fall downpour.

Bottom Line:
    This is a good dry conditions tire. I am a heavy rider 220lb and I rode these all summer with very little wear. They corner well and don't drift as easy as the weirwolfs, or slide like the jones xr (junk). They roll fast and brake well even late braking. They are heavy, but for me its a drop in the bucket with my own weight and a 30+lb bike. Once again. NOT A TIRE FOR ANY PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN! You will ride about 20 feet in wet conditions and then head back because it is miserable. If you get caught out on the trail with these when it rains...even worse. I will give these a five chili rating because I selected them as a "desert specialist" and because WTB says on its website "Dry". Overall they could be lighter and that's worth a chili deduction.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the San Juan Mountains

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Continental Vertical 2.3, WTB Motoraptor2.1, WTB Velociraptor 2.1, Jones XR (junk), WTB Weirwolf 2.1

Bike Setup:   Vintage (Ha!) 1994 GT Ricochet SRAM X-7 all the way around, Mavic wheelset with XT Hubs, Rock Shox Tora, Raceface Evlolve crankset

Submitted by jpine93 a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    Slow speed turning and cornering, uphill, little roll resistance, grippy through rock gardens and loose rocks.

Weaknesses:    Terrible cornering if there are no berms and the turn is more than 15 degrees. Anything over 10 mph and the front and back tire both go out.

Bottom Line:
    These tires are good when going fairly straight, but on almost all turns, they wash out BIG TIME.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

Purchased At:   Summit

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpy FSR Comp

Submitted by C. P. a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco CA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Fast Smooth roller W/ Good Cornering Grip. Good grip on dry, sand/loose over hardpack trails.

Weaknesses:    Mud. Center Knobs get beat up and torn on rocky decents.

Bottom Line:
    I love my Velociraptors, but the rear tire is real slow, like a tank tread. When things dried out I wanted a smoother / faster tire, and the Mutano is working out great as a rear in dry conditions. Super fast and smooth when straight up and still has gnarly lugs on the sides for good cornering grip. This tire made me a lot faster on my usual climbs. I was a little weary about climbing grip looking at the tread, but I haven't had any issues, even out of the saddle. SLIPPERY WHEN WET. Don't try it in the wet if you don't have to.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdog

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXpro, WTB Velociraptors, Kenda Negvegal.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, mostly stock.

Submitted by eric whiteside a Cross Country Rider from could tell you but would have to kill you later

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    low rolling resistance, great cornering/tracking as a front tire, predictable handling

Weaknesses:    sidewalls tend to wear out faster than tread

Bottom Line:
    I started riding these tires in 2001 but only for the front. I could tell by looking that these tires would not function well as a rear tire on a trail bike. I use a Panaracer Cinder 2.24 for that and the combination of those two tires works for just about EVERYTHING except sloppy mud and or clay. Neither tire clears mud well, so if you ride in relatively dry conditions you are good to go. The MutanoRaptor is predominantly a dry condition tire. It's okay when it's "damp" out, but if the trail is "wet" be very careful. The Cinder's only downfall in the mud is that it doesn't clear mud quickly. Anyway...bottom line...the MutanoRaptor and Cinder as a combination work flawlessly in dry, medium to hardpack conditions. The two are also not bad when you have to ride asphalt in conjunction with your trail rides as well. They both roll relatively fast for full knobby tires.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Annadale SP or Auburn Rec area

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, Velociraptor, Panaracer Dart

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 600 "Clydesdale" Spec, Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off, LX/XTR

Submitted by jSatch a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
    Wear slow
    Aggressive knobs, within limits
    Price

Weaknesses:    Sized smaller than I expected
    Very tight bead- not easy to change tires
    Wear slow (not sticky)
    Aggressive knobs, within limits
    Price

Bottom Line:
    I had Kenda Nevegals on the rear in the smaller, faster 2.1 size. I purchased the WTB Mutanos as a replacement for IRC Mibros. I expected them to be a larger sized (than the rear Neves), fast rolling, yet somewhat aggressive front tire for the dry conditions here in SoCal. I thought the nearly continuous centerline combined with aggressive side knobs would be good for a larger front tire. However, the size of the Mutanos was almost the same as the 2.1 Neves. They appear nearly the same in width, and maybe stand a bit taller than the Neves. Bummer!

I now have the Neves on the front (I would have preferred a larger tire there than the 2.1s) and the Mutanos on the rear. They work well as a rear tire. I was surprised as I usually excluded a nearly continuous centerline for consideration for the rear as previous tires slipped out a lot with this configuration. Not the Mutanos. They held ground as well or better than the Neves on the loose uphill stuff we have here. NOTE: I had the Neves in the forward ramped position, I did not try these in reversed direction in the rear, and the knobs were more worn than the new Mutanos when compared. Although there was a limit to these tiny, pokey knobs in the loose stuff, they did better than I expected for a fast rolling, all-mountain tire. We’ll see what happens after some wear.

The low rolling resistance combined with a relatively aggressive tread pattern (within reason) makes this a nice summer tire. Their weight excludes them from racing, but for kickin’ around their rolling resistance more than makes up for the weight. I haven't tried them on the street, but as others mentioned, the fast centerline roll and low wear would make this a good choice on the street between trails.

I would consider this a very nice rear tire (didn’t try as a front) that is condition specific and works well here in the dry southwest. I’m looking to buy another IRC Mibro for the front and going with the Mutanos (dry, loose over hardpack) or Neves (everything else) on the rear. The only problem is, as mentioned previously, these are a serious pain in the butt to swap out, at least on my rims.

I got them for $17 a pair on eBay. These are unbelievable tires at that price. At the MSRP I’d find them harder to recommend, unless you ride primarily dry, loose over hardpack conditions. For that they perform well. I'm only going with 3 hotties in value due to the MSRP, and 4 hotties when used in dry conditions.

Favorite Trail:   the one to the taco stand, amigo

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FRS Pro + stuff

Submitted by ATBScott a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Strengths:    Wear, low rolling resistance, dry-to-medium condition performance. Seem to work well in sand too.

Weaknesses:    Cornering grip unpredictable in some loose-over-hard. Do not clear mud, and the knobs are too small to penetrate when conditions get wet - "floats" on flat-top casing and feels like a slick! Rear knobs tear on rocks.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I like the tires - over the summer they work well. Roll nicely when you have pavement miles to get to (or to connect) trails. In some conditions the cornering on the large corner knobs can be a bit unpredictable - but that said, the times that these washed out on me, the flat face dug back in and allowed me to recover without hitting the dirt (just about had to clean my shorts a couple of times though...) Knobs seem to tear on the rear, climbing and turning on rockier surfaces, even though they do maintain grip. I have some of the larger side knobs that look like someone took a utility knife to them after rides at Skyline in Napa, or faster runs down Lawndale at Annadel. DTC compound on both tires, and the front shows almost no wear after a total of about 9 month's use. Took these off last Fall when it started to get wet in NorCal, and ANY significant moisture that could be considered "mud" allowed the casing to float on the surface, and the short knobs would not dig in. Ok in loamy soil, but any sort of clay or slick mud and these are worthless. 3 weeks ago I swapped for Trailbears, and they ride nicely in all the conditions I have had them in - don't roll quite as nicely as the 'tanos but they feel more predictable, and seem to work well in the mud - even when packed up! Overall I have to give the Mutanoraptor 2.24 a "4" - for drier conditions.
    In wet or muddy they should be removed, unless you live where the soil is all DG or Loam - then they are probably fine.

Favorite Trail:   Can I only have one?

Similar Products Used:   You name it. I'm a tire geek.

Bike Setup:   Ransom LTD custom build.

Submitted by John Catts a Cross Country Rider from Spring Branch, Tx

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Corners great, climbs well..

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    Bought these last week and tried them out on my favorite technical trail ride..my Klein is set up for Tech. XC riding.. I have the 2.4 on front and 2.24 on rear..the rear tire climbed great on loose rocky Central Texas rocks..rolled over rocks great..cornered great..especially when coming off several 2-3 foot drops it didn't lose traction..good centerline tracking..what else can I say..

Favorite Trail:   It's all goood

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   IRC Trailbear, WTB Weirwolf..

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude hardtail, Full Sram XO..Raceface crank..Avid Mech..Disc..Woodman hubs, Bontrager Mustang Rims..Fox Vanilla RL 100mm

WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 opinions?

I picked up a pair of 2.24 Mutano Raptors at the end of the last season. I haven't had the chance to ride them. What are the thoughts of those who have? What type of terrain/trail conditions have you used them on?Read More »