Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB MotoRaptor 2.24 Tire

4.58/5 (53 Reviews)

WTB Moto Raptor 2.24 (52/54) :
WTB Comp 650g, WTB Race 595g, WTB Laser FR 695g.
Moto Raptor
With their open, deep tread pattern, "exo-skeleton" of linked blocks, and earth shattering, dirt stabbing abilities, the Moto's are built for aggressive riders and all rough riding conditions from wet roots and stones to hard rock and sand.

Delivering outstanding cornering, climbing, and braking traction, along with amazing multi-soil versatility, it's no wonder it's been the tire of choice for downhillers, freeriders, and trail riders around the globe.

Submitted by Mtn-Rider a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip when new, lightweight, good feel over rocks.

Weaknesses:    Quickly lose grip after 50% worn, thin sidewalls, no logos on one side of the 2 tires I got, seems to pinch flat tubes easier than other with tires.

Bottom Line:
Great tire when new but doesn't last as long as other tires. Rubber compound appears similar to other quality WTB tires. Grip not that great on wet or slick surfaces. Wide spaced knobs deliver good stability over sandy washes. Switched back to Mutano Raptors and all is good now. Still a great value when purchased for cheap.

Favorite Trail:   PMP, McDowells

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano Raptors, Specialized The Captain, Maxxis Ignitor, WTB Velociratpor, Kenda Nevegal, others.

Bike Setup:   2007 Fuji Outland still rolling, now running tubeless WTB Mutano Raptors on Mavic 117 rims, 3x10 gears, SPD pedals, Reba fork, FOX Float R rear shock.

Submitted by dragster12 a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Works well as rear tire.
Somewhat light
Durable

Bottom Line:
I use this tire in the rear and haven't tried it in the front. I'm pretty happy with this tire as it seems like it will last as a rear tire. It has enough traction to not slip out a lot while climbing or cornering and is relatively light. 4 Chili for Overall as I'm happy with this tire, and 5 for value as I got a great deal on it.

Favorite Trail:   ATT

Bike Setup:   Canfield One
Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by gregnash a Cross Country Rider from Carson City

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Great gripping, large side knobs, light weight

Weaknesses:    Has a vague void when used as a front tire that causes it to washout

Bottom Line:
When coupled with another Moto Raptor this is a great tire. I had two 29" version, one wire bead that came in around 690g and one folding bead that came in at 537g. While they were together they worked and cornered beautifully, however the folding bead (rear) blew a bead and had to be replaced. Once replaced the Moto on the front did not like to be pushed hard into loose corners. This is a great rear tire and grips on just about anything here in the Northern Nevada desert, as a front it leaves some things to be wanted.

Favorite Trail:   Ash Canyon

Similar Products Used:   GEAX Saguaro 29, IRC Mythos,

Bike Setup:   Current On-One Inbred 29er 2x9

Submitted by bgkorekom a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Great traction,good cornering, stable on DH, durable (rocks, sand, loose, packed dirt), cost (if you find them on sale, they run around $30). Nice width for 2.24, added stability.

Weaknesses:    If you don't run the front at lower PSI they tend to wash out a lot. I keep at 30 or even less and they are great. I am 190 ponds and haven't had a problems. Here and there I will get a pinched tube, but that is usually on heavy loose rocks.

Bottom Line:
I used to run the Weirwolf in Chicago but they didn't cut it in the loose and rocky trail in Colorado.I've been running the Moto Raptors front and rear since 2006 and they have been serving me well in all kind of conditions. They last for more then one season comparing to the the other brands I've used over the years. I love technical climes and those babies grip on anything, water bars, loose rocks, boulders, etc. On downhill they are very reliable if keep the front at low pressure. I've scrapped the sidewalls down to the treads and they never gave up. In summary great all around tire. I just noticed that WTB doesn't have them in the 2011 collection and it seems I have to figure out a replacement for next year.

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Purchased At:   web

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf, Mytos, Panaracers, Specialized

Bike Setup:   575 Yeti

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    Light, knobby, sticky, good mud performance.

Weaknesses:    Wears quickly on rear, rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
I have the race version of this tire ~600g. Great tire and I really like it in the wet and muddy conditions as the tread clears quickly and provides good bite in all conditions. It's also a very light tire, which can really be felt on the climbs. I just wish the rolling resistance was lower, but that's the tradeoff with big knobs spaced far apart. Great winter/spring tire, but something else is going on for the summer.

Favorite Trail:   Guardian's - Bidwell Park

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   NanoRaptor, Velociraptor, Rampage, Mountain King, Weirwolf

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4, XT/XTR UST wheels.

Submitted by shanedawg a Weekend Warrior from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    great tread life, fast rolling in the race version
great tread life, and great traction in the old "laser" version

Weaknesses:    the laser version with the inner peace sidewall and the dual tread compound is no longer available

Bottom Line:
I have used the current version in 2.1 and 2.24 with the dna compound. they are ok for an xc tire but loose grip way to early dude to the rock hard rubber they use. They also pinch flat unless you run them pretty hard.

I also have some older ones that they used to sell that had inner peace sidewall protection and dual dna. A lot like the current weirwolf LT tire. This version of the tire was spectacular and would hold in corners, resist pinchflats and lasted a long time. It was a mere 700g's for a 2.24 tire. flat out rocked. Then they stopped selling it!!! DAMMIT, bring that tire back! It was awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Tractor trail in demo forest

Purchased At:   Trailhead Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   kenda, schwalbe, maxxis, specialized, panaracer, etc

Bike Setup:   turner 5 spot trailbike

Submitted by mtec a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    Great initial bite, very good (low) rolling resistance for a medium volume tire.

Good enough on dry rock, great on loam and tacky to slimy mediumpack (Read: PNW in the less wet season).

Weaknesses:    Can't handle PNW roots, even dry ones. Front end traction is unpredictable, and inconsistent at high speed.

Bottom Line:
I really WANT to make this my go-to tire for less-than-whistler riding and anything from XC to heavy XC and light FR.

Low speed is great as far as the front is concerned, but the rear breaks loose a bit too easily on the looser steep climbs.

HORRIBLE on roots, wet or dry, both front and rear. These are PNW roots, so "dry" still means a lot more moisture than roots youd find in in the Southwest or Rockies.

High speed is another different story. I had the front end wash out horribly twice on me on high speed bermed turns (with NO warning), where there was TONS of traction to be had.
Similar tires have always had predictable slide and drift characteristics to where you could do a controlled slide before letting go into a crash-like washout.

These tires give you all or nothing, all is great, when they give you nothing, its disaster.

I'll be reluctantly switching back to the Nevegals earlier in the season than I planned. They roll slower than dogsh*t, but I'd rather stay on my wheels and slide predictably.

They're a good tire, but not a PNW tire.

Favorite Trail:   Heavy XC / FR

Purchased At:   Biketiresdirect

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal 2.35, Conti Vertical & Gravity 2.3, Fire XC 2.1, Minion 2.35

Bike Setup:   Fantom, 5 & 5, 2x9

Submitted by jscusmcvet a Weekend Warrior from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    Grip in all conditions, strong cornering

Weaknesses:    a little bit slow roller

Bottom Line:
Great all around tire. Not the fastest roller, but I am not the fastest rider either :-) sure grip in all conditions so far, from winter mud to fairly hard pack. Does great on rocks, roots, etc... Lately I have upped the psi to about 39 in rear and 35 in front with good results, no loss in traction and a little better rolling.

Favorite Trail:   Ingles Gap

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   This is the most aggressive tire I have used, so I don't hink I can say I have used similar tires

Bike Setup:   On One Summer Season, 130mm Manitou forks, 2x9 Stylo, sram x9 all around

Submitted by cafam1 a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Great traction, very light, large volume.

Weaknesses:    The side walls are very thin and some of the knobs tend to tear in rocky conditions.

Bottom Line:
It's a great rear tire for enduro use. This is my go to tire. I have the 2.4 in the front and the 2.25 in the rear. It's a great match. The side walls are very thin. In rocky and for rocky conditions I would not recommend this tire. For all mountain conditions like the north east I would recommend this tire. It's great in the mud and has good mud shedding ability. I recommend this tire but not for heavy duty use such as light freeride or light down hill because it just does not have the durability.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   turner sixpack

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Canadian Rockies

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around. Great traction and rolls well for it. Lightish for tread pattern, size and traction.

Weaknesses:    Deep mud. Not the fastest rolling. Not the lightest tire you can put on the bike.

Bottom Line:
I have the Kevlar version w DNA rubber. Run it at about 35-38psi on the back of two soft-tail bikes. I weigh ~190 loaded and need plenty of traction to get up steep and loose stuff without spinning up.
I run reasonable pressures on the XC/Trail rig to protect my light wheels on long trails w long downhills and to save a bit of energy. Even climbing v steep grades at my weight with just a 2.24 tire at 38psi, I rarely lose traction.

Currently my favourite back tire. It's probably great on the front too, but I run a bigger tire there at the moment that is faster rolling.
No major signs of wear after several hundred km as a back tire on real mountain trails. But I don't lock or spin it up much.
Great climbing on rocks and dry dirt. Handles roots fine as long as they are not too smooth, diagonal and wet and as long as there's not too much wet clay on the tire.
Even good on loose over hard. I have saved quite a few stalls on steep and loose stuff this year with this tire where normally I wouldn't even bother trying to get going again and would just dismount once that far off line and without momentum. But the moto can often get moving again. Has allowed me to clean several trails I couldn't before. They clog up a bit in deep mud - but what all-rounder doesn't. Clears quite well once you are out of the mire. And you can usually get out fine.

It's not super-fast rolling, but you just plod away and get over everything.
With one of these on the back, it is rare that a failure to climb something has anything to do with available traction. Available skill/oxygen can still be a problem, but I can forget about the tire being a weak link.
This tire is just what I wanted. Something that will let me ride anything my body is capable of riding and never hold me back. Tough enough to handle sharp rocks on fast trail-type downhills too. This is a great choice. Up or down.
I liked it enough on the XC/Trail rig that I put one on the AM bike too. No probs there either, but I would rather it was more like 2.35 on the bigger bike and I'd run it softer.
If you are running a 2.1ish rear tire, are reasonably fit but not super-light and want to be able to climb stuff that you currently spin up on, then this is def worth a go on the back. If you never have traction problems anyway then there are faster rolling and lighter tires out there.
NB, as I said at the top this review is for the Kevlar version w DNA rubber. Not tried other versions or sizes (yet).

Similar Products Used:   Mythos. Serac.

Submitted by kona03 a Weekend Warrior from Arleta, CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, Price, Grip, sheds mud like no other, tire is knobby which helps confidence when taking fast turns and switchback. Never had any issued with pinch falts when running tubes.

Weaknesses:    Not a good tire for sandy trails...

Bottom Line:
these tires will stay on my bike as long as they possibly can. these are handdown the best tires i have used due to their superb traction climbing and dowhill. the tires are predictable and i have never had a washout with these. Great tire for cross country riders because tire provides excellent grip on varying terrains. BTW i'm running these on Stan's Tubeless Tire conversion kit.

Favorite Trail:   La Tuna Canyon

Purchased At:   wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor, Some tubeless Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast Hardtail, Marzocchi EXR Comp fork, Deore 9spd drivetrain, Avid BB7 braking system and levers.

Submitted by mjiman a Cross Country Rider from Westchester County, NY

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around tire for varying east conditions-rocks, roots, leaves, loamy soil, etc. I keep trying other tires and coming back to the motoraptor as the front tire for its all around performance and predictability. BTW, I would put this tire and my needs into the all mountain category-usually tires in the 600-700 gram range that are not too slow but with the grip to handle east coast all mountain conditions.

Weaknesses:    Could it be lighter and faster? Perhaps slightly more volume and it would be perfect

Bottom Line:
Great front tire for east coast rocks, roots and varying conditions. I pair it with a Maxxus Ardent 2.25 on the rear. The Ardent is a high volume tire that is fast and grips well at low psi (20-25.) BTW all tires are run with Stans and no tube.

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal (grippy and slow), weirwolf (slower and less predictable), contis (various), maxxus (many),

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Ephiphany built light, XTR components, king hubs, stans ztr rims and sapin xray spokes, fox fork

Submitted by SR92 a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2010

Strengths:    Great cornering tire. It gets good bite in mud and dirt. I have even found it to be acceptable in sand. The motoraptor clears effectively, especially when the mud areas are spotty. The motoraptor also seems to wear better than the Bontrager tires I have tried in the past. They also seem to be fairly strong construction and puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    Big side lugs mean the rear tire must be appropriately sized (narrower than I expected) to clear the chainstays.

Bottom Line:
For the types of trails I ride (hardpack, some mud, some gravel, small sandpit) these tires get me much better traction than I have experienced with other tires. Great value for the price. I estimate I have put ~120 miles on them at this point. So far, with predominently off- road travel, the tires show no signs of wear.

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones XR, Bontrager Jones AC-X, Kenda Nevegal, Bontrager 29-3

Bike Setup:   2007 GF Tassajara with WTB Pure V Saddle, WTB Motoraptor tires (2.24 front, 2.14 rear) Shimano Deore LX Rapid rise rear deraileur

Submitted by Cilo a Weekend Warrior from Turkiye

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2010

Strengths:    1-Cornering 2-Climbing grip 3-Clears itself effectively

Bottom Line:
I usually ride these on rocky-hardpacked and wet soil... Corners great,I can do turns in mud that i could only do in dry ground with the other tires... Superb product.

Favorite Trail:   Aydos-Istanbul