Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Exiwolf 2.3 Tire

4.7/5 (30 Reviews)
Weight : 690 grams MSRP : $60.00

The ExiWolf is truly multi-talented. It combines the quick-rolling agility of an XC race tire with the consistent traction of a substantial trail tire. Featuring a deep tread pattern with loads of working edges and spikey, soil-piercing side knobs, the ExiWolf boasts impressive performance on any terrain, in any condition. It provides lively handling, predictable stability and tackles rocks and rough terrain with ease.

Submitted by afclsn a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Shed mud well. Good traction on dry dirt and sand.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls tear easily.

Bottom Line:
Bought this tire to replace a Kenda Nevegal with a torn sidewall. With in a month I tore the sidewall on this tire as well. Never got to ride a rock garden on it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Dick Maul's Bike Sho

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 29, Maxis CrossMark, Continental Mountain King 2.4

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er

Submitted by p0g0 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    I run them tubless with WTB Speed Disc rims, I weigh about 165, and I run these at 23-25psi with no worries. They grip great, and corner pretty nicely. They're excellent on hardpack, and even better when the ground gets tacky. I have just over 600 miles on my pair, and I think they'll go for another few hundred.

Weaknesses:    The wire bead version (that comes stock on the Karate Monkey weighs about 900g per tire. They're not great on roots in the wet.

Bottom Line:
Heavy, but otherwise, they perform well. They're slick over roots, but what isn't?

Submitted by DaveS29er

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    I've been riding these for 9 months on a Karate Monkey single-speed, on canal banks and dirt and gravel roads. One of my favorite roads, 14 miles of rolling hills in the Sierra foothills, is gravel, rock of 1-2" diameter, and sand at times. I run about 25-30 lbs in the real nasty stuff, so I don't sink in and plow a rutt. On packed dirt, 40-60 lbs is good. For city streets and bike paths, I use 60-80 lb.

Weaknesses:    The tires are thin btw the treads, and goathead thorns are a big problem around here, so I use Slime tubes.

Bottom Line:
A great tire for dual use. Not an aggressive loose dirt tire.

Submitted by rusheleven a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction, Able to run low pressure with tubes, Enough air to provide "suspension" for my rigid mtb

Weaknesses:    Heavy (almost 2lbs ugh.)

Bottom Line:
I'm able to run down to 30 psi without having to worry about pinching to much. Once I get to 40 psi there are zero worries. I've been running them for the last few months and have only flatted once and it was due to a hawthorn tree sharing its rather sharp huge needles with my tire.

I have yet to try these tires tubeless.

They have a super tight fit on my laser disk rims. Workable just tight.

I'm going to be rocking these until they are bald

Similar Products Used:   Last tires I was running were Specialized Fast Tracks. These kill them.

Bike Setup:   Fully Rigid Surly Karate Monkey

Submitted by NachtWolf a All Mountain Rider from Rochester, NY, United States

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, excellent all around tire, above average mud shedding

Weaknesses:    Trouble with traction on larger blunt objects (smooth rocks, large smooth roots, etc (though I suppose almost all tires have that weakness))

Bottom Line:
A bicycle is a complex system of moving and stationary parts that work together under the user's power to move the user, as we all know. If any single component fails, the user's well being is at risk. Any rider wishing to push their own limits must have trust in their bike and the components it is comprised of.

I trust the WTB ExiWolf 2.3 tires with my life.

I've been on the trails for about 10 years now. I've taken these tires many places and have abused them in many ways. On hardpacked sloping trails, I get the speed I desire. On the rough and treacherous downhills, I get the stopping power I need. I was once riding on some trails late at night with a buddy of mine, traveling at around 15-20 mph, and all of the sudden I was about a foot in the air with some rather jagged rocks below me. I managed to land on the rocks and make an emergency stop without too much trouble. The same tires I used then are still in use today as my primary set.

Similar Products Used:   WTB VelociRaptor, Hutchinson Bulldogs, Continental XC tire of unknown model name

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Reign 3 w/ 2008 Fox Racing Shox 32 TALAS 140mm RLC FiT, Avid Juicy 7 185mm rotors, Shimano MTB clipless pedals, WTB Exiwolf 2.3 F&R

Submitted by bigbadwulff a Weekend Warrior from Jackson, Tn.

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls great. That part really surprises me. Hooks up well front and rear in our soft sandy/clay soil. No rocks here at all, so can't comment on that. So far I am impressed. 2.3 might be a bit wide for the rear end on my Cannondale Caffeine. It does rub a bit, but only slightly when the bike is under lateral stress.

Weaknesses:    So far none.

Bottom Line:
So far so good on limited rides so far. But haven't noticed anything bad. Have a dirt biking back ground and pretty critical about tires.

Favorite Trail:   Union University

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2012

Strengths:    Fast rolling, feels light

Weaknesses:    poor traction on rocks

Bottom Line:
This is a well rounded tire. It is the fastest rolling 2.3 tire so I put it on my rear instead of a knobby tire like the ardent or the rampage so make my bike a little quicker. My only complaint is that it does not grip on rocks at all. You will slip around in place. It's a 50/50 shot if you will make it up a slippery rock garden with this tire compared to a knobby tire. I wouldn't use these in the wet at all or as a front tire. If you're primarily an XC ride you won't notice it slide out in front of you on the hairy downhill turns but anyone who rides quickly over technical terrain should opt for a bigger knobby tire like the ardent or rampage. I'm not too sure if I'll buy this one again, I'm waiting for a small block 8 in a 2.3.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mountain

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8, Maxxis Ardent, Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   GT Sensor 9r Expert

Submitted by mblangbehn a Weekend Warrior from Tenino, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Strengths:    Supper grippy, clears mud great, fast rolling takes a beating

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Best rear tire I've ever used, No contest... When I first got this tire I was a little concerned about how well it would clear mud because the tread was so close together, man was I wrong, it clears mud as well or better than anything I've ever seen and I live in the Pacific North West where mud is a way of life 8 to 9 months out of the year. This tire just holds onto anything, mud, roots, rocks, it just hooks up. I have this tire paired up with a Hutchinson Mosquito Air Light in the front and only the sloppiest of sloppy trails give me any pause at all and that includes red clay. I can't speak for it's abillity as a front tire but I imagine it would do very well I just like an ultra sticky soft tire on the front and the mosquito has that covered.

Favorite Trail:   Greenline Six

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC, Velociraptors, Hutchinson Alligators, Hutchinson Mosquito Air light

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 spot, Marzocchi Z1 FR SL 130, Mavic crosride, Shimano XT/LX drivetrain, Raceface cranks, 2.3 Hutchinson Airlight Mosquito (front) 2.3 WTB Exiwolf Rear

Submitted by Mtn-Rider a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Super sticky grip on typical desert terrain, tread pattern grabs well on everything, soft rubber compound adds to grip, lasts surprisingly long for such a soft tire, easily deforms over rocks resulting in smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewalls easily damaged, require more care over sharp rocks. Larger size than other tires increases overall radius and slightly reduces gearing when mounted on rear wheel as a result, it's quite noticeable on the pedals, but not much of a problem.

Bottom Line:
This is the best gripping tire I've ever had, no buts. Feels great over rough terrain together with a good shock, you really feel the difference when you replace it with another tire. Ran it with tubes and got a surprisingly low number of flats compared to other tires under comparable conditions, extra thickness behind tread pattern seems to help prevent flats. Sidewalls are very thin though and cut easily but keeps the tire weight fairly low.

Favorite Trail:   PMP, McDowells

Purchased At:   From rider moving ou

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 & 2.4, Exiwolf 2.3, Velociratpor, Specialized The Captain, Maxxis Ignitor, Kenda Nevegal, others.

Bike Setup:   2007 Fuji Outland still rolling, now running tubeless conversion with WTB Mutano Raptors on Mavic 117 rims, SPD pedals, Reba Race fork, FOX Float R rear shock.

Submitted by Driverfound337 a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    Good all around, light, wide for traction, very good wear

Weaknesses:    Have not found one

Bottom Line:
Very very good tire, it came with my bike and I like them so much I keep replacing them.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   wtb exiwolf, maxis misc tires

Bike Setup:   29er Rigid SS

Submitted by yourdaguy a Cross Country Rider from Southern Indiana

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    Very compliant. Best rear for a full rigid SS. Good traction. Easy to set up tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shed mud as well as some.

Bottom Line:
This tire is the most compliant I have found. it is fairly tall with a very compliant sidewall. I have it on the rear of my full rigid SS. It really soaks up the chatter and has great traction for climbing too. The rolling resistance is pretty good and very good compared to other tires with this much traction. It is one of the best rears I have used. I have not used it on the front, but it looks like it would be a good front for many setups too.

Favorite Trail:   Scales

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   4 Niners Jet9, One9, 2 Sir9's

Submitted by holywood a Weekend Warrior from redding ca usa

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    totally predictable rolls great works great under breaking

Weaknesses:    none that i have found

Bottom Line:
for me this is the most predictable tire out there.I use this on the rear and a weirwolf on the front.I have been through about 10 different tires.It rolls great sheds mud well and lasts long enough.I wont use any other tire on the rear of my bike.

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   purgatory nevegal nobby nicks

Bike Setup:   ellsworth epiphany xt 150 talas

Submitted by ajmcafee a Cross Country Rider from Arcata, CA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, great leanability/cornering capacity in semi-loamy to hardpack soil. Very, very predictable balloon casing and tread pattern. Comfort through high volume.

Weaknesses:    Packs up in clay/mud. Not good for resort riding, muddy trails, or deeper gravel.

Bottom Line:
High volume, lower pressure. Lets go when you tell it to, not when it feels like it. Rolls quick, lasts plenty long, hooks the f*** up at speed & when decelerating into a corner.

I weigh about 115 and run these, tubeless, at 18/22psi, front/rear, respectively. I switch out my front tire for a spikier, better shedding tire in the winter for muddy riding.

Hard to beat tire compound quality/price ratio.

Favorite Trail:   That one over there

Purchased At:   Revolution Bicycle R

Similar Products Used:   WTB ExiWolf 2.1, Maxxis Aspen, WTB Nanoraptor 2.1, Kenda Blue Groove 2.1, Specialized The Captain 2.0. Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.1.

Bike Setup:   SCB Heckler. Shocks, pegs, gears. Tubeless. Wide bars, good brakes. Nice tires.

Submitted by ericb000 a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Strengths:    Long-lasting, good for soft dirt/sand as well as hard pack and rocks. Best tire I've bought for desert riding.

Weaknesses:    I don't know how it does in mud; never tried it there. Goes exactly where one points it, so it depends on your skill.

Bottom Line:
This is the worst tire I've ever bought, except for all the others.

Favorite Trail:   The one I just rode

Similar Products Used:   Many, many. E.g. Fire Pro XC, Continental Mountain King (knobs broke off after a few rides, then shredded on a rock)

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, etc. etc.

Submitted by inteq9 a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent grip, control, and comfort on most terrains. Good volume and fast rolling. They seem pretty long-wearing and the tread looks cool (I think).

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest tire but it is a 2.3. Sidewall graphics are ugly (I think).

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bigger, faster rolling tire for general trail use than the Fire XC's so I tried these. I am very impressed with the handling of these tires in just about any terrain. I've thrown the book at them and so far they're great, even in wet conditions. These tires roll better than the Fires despite being a bit heavier. I think I'd be afraid to try anything else for a fast, all-conditions tire.

Purchased At:   Unreal Deals