Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB ExiWolf 1.95 Tire

Weight : 520 grams MSRP : $45.00

If you are looking for a tire that combines syped AND control in any XC conditions, then the ExiWolf series is for you. A ramped center tread and square-edged outer knobs combine to create a tire that is low rolling, yet grips the dirt in the corners. The open tread design and spiky knobs excel in loose conditions and provide the confidence to ride where other riders walk.

• Casing: 47mm
  • Footprint: 50mm

Submitted by Hilton Moss a Racer from Jerusalem

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    I use it only as a rear tire and have ridden it over everything possable from sand to rocks. Fast rolling good cornering and has never let go yet. I run it tubless on DT4.1d rims and have never had a problem. Great climber and fast and secure on the downhills. Lightweight.Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Wears a bit fast and last me only 1000km which is about 2.5 months

Bottom Line:
Great for rear end XC use. I order 4 at time so I am never caught without. I use the 2.1 in the front also tubless. Running them at between 30-38 psi is a good combo. No complaints.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Yeti Kokopelli,Fox,Hope,DT,Easton,XTR,WTB.

Submitted by Irmina a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    Light and durable

Bottom Line:
I use this tire for the REAR ONLY. This tire has suited my type of riding for most of the year. I predominantly ride in SoCal, which is typically loose over hardpack with some sandy sections thrown in. Naturally, they're a little low volume/tread for super loose, rocky tech sections, but still doable if you have the focus. The tire is light and corners well. It's a great climber, as long as the sand isn't deep enough to require big tall blocks. I've raced with these in dry hardpack and mud (Sea Otter). I was pleasantly surprised at how it handled mud.

The tire lasted me 7 months. Twice longer than the Ignitor. I had a superficial slice on the sidewall that I kept an eye on the last few months, but it lasted. I use Stan's. I'm definitely buying another one for the rainy season.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxxix Ignitor eXception 1.95

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5.

Submitted by JP Taberdo a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    Soft compound makes for pretty good grip on corners. Quick on dirt. Gave me much more confidence than my last tires, Bontrager Connection Trail - but they were admittedly crap.

Weaknesses:    Very quick wear on rear tire. Also, not so great on slightly muddy or loose hills - spins too much even with weight on. Not very resistant at all to sharp stuff, and a very weak bead. I can't figure it out, but for some reason my front is puncturing my tubes once a day. My mates have had a look, and they can't see what the problem is.

Bottom Line:
Probably best as a front tire only. Too soft compound, and doesn't cushion well to be a rear. Maybe protect your tubes with a plastic strip if you're running over thorns and stuff.

Favorite Trail:   The Flames of Mt. Buggary

Purchased At:   Brisbane Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Connection Trail, Serfas Barista, Serfas Vermin

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Meteore Comp 05

Submitted by Stuart a Cross Country Rider from Oxford, UK

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    Grippy and reasonably communicative. Rarely "lets go" when you least expect it.

Weaknesses:    Picks up and holds on to mud as if it were money. Loud and very "draggy" on tarmac. Much more free rolling on hard-pack mud or gravel, though. The rebound is not to my taste (particularly fast for such a soft compound) but I expect it's the way it's supposed to be and that others may like it. Prone to wearing more than most when skidded, however this is down to it being a soft compound.

Bottom Line:
Not a tire "for all XC conditions" as the label says although it feels sure footed even on the slipperiest of rocks roots and other trail detritous. Not bad, not great, not to my taste. May well be your perfect partner if you live somewhere dry.

WTB 2.1 Weirwolf front, 1.95 Exiwolf rear

Anyone have any experience running the WTB 1.95 Exiwolf as a rear tire. Currently running Weirwolf 2.1s front and rear and really love the way they hook up on just about everything. Just thinking about lightening up my ride a bit for the upcoming racing season by sticking with the 2.1 Weirwolf up ... Read More »