Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Bronson TCS Tire

Upon first glance, WTB's Bronson TCS Tire looks to be similar to their Wolverine XC tire. Indeed it is, yet it has small differences that make it a different beast. Both share a general swept tread pattern, some might call it a chevron. The knobs on the Bronson are swept back at a gentler angle than the Wolverine, and they have notches that allow them to conform to a multitude of trail surfaces, from loose to hardpack, from wet to dry. On hardpack trails, the notched lugs can deform to offer up a kung-fu grip on semi-solid surfaces and rock. On the other end of the moisture spectrum, the Bronson's tapered lugs shed sticky mud well enough to get you through it without caking over and becoming a slick. The Bronson has ramped center lugs to roll with minimal loss of speed. Their shape is again similar to the center knobs on the Wolverine, but where they differ is the spacing and that the knobs on the Bronson differ with regards to the width of their spacing. Here they're phased in an alternating pattern of wide then narrow. The height of the knobs increases from the transition knobs to the shoulder knobs. This gives the tire a predictable feel when you begin to carve into shallow lean angles in fast corners. The tread was designed to optimize performance along with WTB's Dual DNA rubber compound that's firmer in the center to accentuate the fast rolling tread and softer on the sides for awesome cornering traction. The WTB Bronson TCS Tire has a tubeless compatible system bead, specifically designed to work with UST style rims. The combination of tubeless capability and WTB's lightweight Race casing makes the Bronson a great XC tire. It's light enough to race fast, but beefy enough to offer up real traction for backwoods adventures. The Bronson TCS Tire is available in two sizes -- 26 x 2.1" and 2.3". The actual weight for the 2.1" tire is 608 grams.

Submitted by sadevil a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, Low rolling resistance, fast tire. Decent wear for a front tire.

Weaknesses:    Can be unpredictable in corners in dusty or muddy conditions terrain. Cornering knobs deform a little to much for aggressive riding.

Bottom Line:
Have had the Bronson TCS 2.3 mounted on the front of my all mountain rig for about 5 months here in northern California. It replaced a Nevagal DTC UST (which went on the rear) on Flow Ex Rims. The tires were easy to mount tubeless with Stan's sealant with a floor pump even though NoTubes lists the rims not very compatible WTB TCS tires. The Flows give the tire a nice wide profile and make them look huge for 2.3's. I have taken this combination down local downhills, trips to Downieville and Northstar, and local "all mountain" trail riding with little to no burping with my 180lb (geared up) weight on 23psi.

The tire tracks very well on damp to hard pack conditions as well as rocks and roots. The light weight helps to keep the front end light when descending and easy line changes. On dusty or loose over hard pack conditions and in wetter conditions, the tire had the tendency to get a little loose and sketchy, granted this was with aggressive riding yet not very confidence inspiring in these conditions.

This is a very fast tire in comparison to the Nevegals and Minions, but also does not have the secure cornering performance in exchange.

Wear wise, the tire has survived five months of three 8 to 15 mile rides a week on the front of my bike with 75% left of the center and cornering knobs. However, the soft cornering knobs are starting to show plenty of tears.

Overall, I liked the weight and grip of the tire in most conditions yet so confidence inspiring in dusty or muddy conditions. We will see how this tire finishes up on the rear end.

Favorite Trail:   Braille Trail

Purchased At:   Trailhead Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevagal DTC UST 2.35, Maxxis Minion single ply Kevlar bead 60a 2.3, Maxxis High Rollers 2.5, WTB Timberwolves 2.5 DH tires.

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Enduro Comp, FOX 36 VAN 160mm. Flow Ex on Hope Evo2 hubs. XT Brakes.

Submitted by mdhimes a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip in loose and nasty climbing conditions. Tubeless. Fairly fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    They were tough to mount on my rim (Sun Ringle Blag Flag Pro). Wish they were a little lighter. Wish it was a little cheaper.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 29 x 2.2 TCS Bronson. The tire performs really well. Right out of the gate it gripped noticeably better than the Kenda SB8 that came on my Airborne Guardian. I have the tire on the back paired with a WTB Weirwolf. Nice combination for the type of riding I do. I tend to ride at a good clip on most trails while making a conscious effort to get through corners as fast as possible. I also love to challenge myself with whacky climbs. The Bronson really impressed me when it came to its ability to grip during tough climbing conditions. I generally keep it aired down on the bottom end of the range so this helps in the grip department.

My only complaint is that I had a tough time getting it onto my Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro wheel. When I finally did I ended up with a good bit of "wobble". I realize this has just as much to do with the wheel but I wanted to share this with others as they should take extra care when seating the bead in to the rim. This was my first attempt at mounting a tubeless tire and I'll be sure to try a couple tricks next time I mount a tire to get it to come out true.

Bottom line is that this tire grips like crazy and is a good compromise between weight, price, and speed.

Favorite Trail:   Battle Creek

Duration Product Used:   3 wks so far

Purchased At:   Outside Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf, Kenda SB8

Bike Setup:   Airborne Guardian, Sun Ringle Blag Flag Pro Wheelset. WTB Weirwolf (F), WTB Bronson (R)

Submitted by older'nslower a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, sticks in wet conditions.

Weaknesses:    Not as grippy as other tires in dry conditions.

Bottom Line:
I decided to replace the Nevegal 2.1 stick-e that I was running on the front with something that has less rolling resistance and the same all conditions grip as the Nevegal. I also wanted to give tubeless a try so I went with the Bronson 2.1 TCS. The weight is decent, and it mounts up fairly easily on a tubeless rim.

Based on my riding experience, this tire grips fantastic in wet conditions and has the least rolling resistance of any tire that I've ridden. However, it doesn't like enthusiastic cornering in dryer, looser conditions whether it be dry leaves or dust on top of the ground. If I try to put a decent lean angle on my machine in those conditions, this baby will sometimes lose its grip without warning. I've experimented some with the air pressure, but it did not make much of a difference. When it's dry, I now look for a berm before I lean, or I try to corner by leaning my body instead of the bike.

Still, I'm keeping it because it shines in most areas.

Favorite Trail:   One that's not paved

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Nevagal Stick-e 2.1, WTB Exiwolf 2.3

Bike Setup:   Cross country FS

Submitted by BMarshall a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    I got these for my Tallboy LTc, along with the WTB I23 29er rims... so the mounting was easy, and with a short puff of air from the compressor they seated and sealed right up. No drama with mounting on WTB rims, but your mileage may vary on a different brand of rim. I have to add about 3-4 psi a week to keep them inflated at 30psi, so they hold air well. The whole TCS system is really slick!

Weaknesses:    So far? None... if they start to suck I'll re-post. But... I got 4 years of hard riding on my 29er Exiwolf tires I had on my singlespeed. WTB makes decent tires.

Bottom Line:
The tire seems a bit pressure dependant... I had too little pressure in them the first ride and they felt really squirmy. So I added air for the next ride (about 30psi) and they handle nothing short of amazing now. The tires roll very fast, climb really well... and stay secure in all the different SoCal grunge --rocks, loose over handpack, hardpack, sand, some roots in the mountains, and loamy wet dirt. Anyway, I really like the tires, and they stick to the ground no matter what I've tried to do to break them loose. Also don't feel any tread-wiggle like I did with my Rampage 29er tires...

Favorite Trail:   Just one? It needs to say trails...

Duration Product Used:   3 mo

Purchased At:   A present from my da

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolf 29er
Rampage 29er

Bike Setup:   Tallboy LTc

Submitted by Jeremy a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy over dry rocks, semi wet roots, fast rolling, confidence inspiring

Weaknesses:    Will update soon if any

Bottom Line:
Here's my street cred on some of the tires i have tried and tested before writing this review. Maxxis Minions DHF and DHR 2.35 SP Super tacky, Minion DHF 2.5 Exo 3c, DHF DH 2.5 3C, Larsen FR 2.4 SP Super tacky, Ardents 2.2, WTB weirwolf 2.3, prowler max 2.3, Kenda Nevegals 2.3 DTC, SB8 DTC, Michelin AT 2.35, Intense 909 AM FRO 2.35, Geax Lobo Loco 2.3 TNT, Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 BC, hutchison Pythons 2.3 NG, just some of the 32 different ones i have tried over the past 5 years.

I have always love the minions dhf and nothing less. but these tires, were surprising. Really surprisingly good. I was truly impressed. So far i had 4 rides on them. each ride with technical climbs and descend. faster than the minions, grips and corners where the minions would wash, these wouldn't. I havent found the breaking point on them yet. I need more time on it to truly truly give it 5 chilis, but u know, once u like a certain tire, the mental barrier to praise another is still hard. across cake mud, the tires didnt slow down as much as the DHFs and didn't cake up much after. these tires have been so impressive, i did think for a moment they will be a winner against the DHFs. oh and i ran them at 40 psi with tubes instead of tubeless and at the high psi, i was so surprised at the traction and control i got. i run my tires usually between 28-35 psi across all terrain and weather condition. So folks, i think this may be a good winner tire at least for me. I recommend it highly. tire rebound was comfortable. it was smooth and not jittery.

I have heard good things about the Hans Dampf. that will have to wait till the next pay day at least.

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minions DHF and DHR 2.35 SP Super tacky, Minion DHF 2.5 Exo 3c, DHF DH 2.5 3C, Larsen FR 2.4 SP Super tacky, Ardents 2.2, WTB weirwolf 2.3, prowler max 2.3, Kenda Nevegals 2.3 DTC, SB8 DTC, Michelin AT 2.35, Intense 909 AM FRO 2.35, Geax Lobo Loco 2.3 TNT, Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 BC, hutchison Pythons 2.3 NG,

Bike Setup:   Devinci Dixon SL with XF vengeance 2012 and XF Vector Air.

WTB Bronson Race (not TCS) run ghetto tubeless?

Anyone out there in MTBR Land do it? How does it work?Read More »

WTB TCS Weirwolf vs Bronson

I've been running 2.3 TCS Weirwolfs for a couple of years now and think they're awesome! Grip, roll fast, and not one flat. Fantastic tire 95% of the time. Issues I've had: [LIST=1] [*]Slow speed technical DH wash out's. At speed these tires never fail because I get into the corners hard. ... Read More »

Sun Ringle Charger Pro mated to WTB Bronson TCS 2.3s

I'm looking to upgrade my current wheelset on my Steel On-One 456 at the end of the month, and after doing a bunch of research I think this is the set up I'm going to go for. I was wondering if any one else has run this set up before, or had any experience with the wheelset or tires and could give m ... Read More »

Love/Hate Bronson TCS

When they're brand new, they work well. But they wear super quick and the side knobs tear off. They dont hold air very well when set up tubeless, and the torn off knobs leak fluid. Anyone else have these problems? Wondering if I should warranty them.Read More »

Bronson TCS, Wolverine UST, Weirwolf. Oh my!?

I'm currently using tubed Kenda Nevagals on Stan's Crest rims (lumpy...) and would like to try tubeless. Which of these tires do you guys recommend? Mostly hardpack, occasional rocks. roots, and some mud. I'd prefer the lighter of the three if WTB's weights are accurate. ('09 GT Force Carbo ... Read More »