Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB All Terrain1.95 Tire

3.64/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 630 grams MSRP : $28.75

• Light use trail and comfort tire
  • Fast, quiet, and stable providing for a comfortable ride
  • Steel: 630 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Pugzila a Weekend Warrior from Boyertown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Dirt cheap (pardon the pun) compared to others, low rolling resistance, not extreme offroad tires

Weaknesses:    A little loose on fast corners when riding in gravel / chushed stone, not extreme offroad tires.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a set of good (not great) tires, buy these. Just remember that they're not for extreme riding. For the money, these are an awesome value.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano Raptor

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp DS2

Submitted by Stanley Kowalski a Weekend Warrior from 632 Elysian Fields NO LA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent all-around utility;quality of construction

Weaknesses:    Probably not the best mud tire. Soft rubber and extraordinarily quiet operation give you an illusion (I think) that the tire requires more pedal pressure.

Bottom Line:
    It appears to me that WTB used a very "grippy" rubber on a conservative tread design. I live in the Southern Rockies in dry conditions, so school is still out on how it would do in mud. I suspect not very well.
    The bike climbed slopes with almost no slipping, that I had had to walk up with the Kendas, despite the fact that I ran the tires at the full, 65psi inflation. The Kendas had a much more aggressive tread. I rode it over the local rail-trail which has many sharp rocks, and it suffered no punctures.
    The tire is uncannily quiet, as advertised. I suppose that would allow you to see more wildlife when you are off-road. I certainly startled several hikers.
    The tires also mounted more easily than the Kendas, not even requiring a tire wrench. I attribute this to more exacting manufacturing requirements of WTB vs. Kenda.
    Overall, I am delighted with the tire. I believe that this tire would serve the needs of everyone who primarily rides in dry conditions except, perhaps, for the most dedicated single-track rider. If you ride your bike on the pavement to any significant extent, there is no reason to buy another tire(assuming of course, you ride in dry conditions). The only question in my mind is durability and performance in wet conditions. I consider myself a hard grader, nevertheless, I will give this tire five chilis.
    P.S. I love this site. It has allowed people like me to "zoom in" on the real goods. Please take the time to make a review of your equipment. How else would I have known to buy an Azonic Loveseat saddle?

Favorite Trail:   Not too hard ones

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Original equipment Kenda

Bike Setup:   Fuji discovery III

Submitted by Dan GlowBoy a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Fast rolling compared with knobbies, not much slower than slicks. Much better off-road grip than semislicks.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter. Puncture easily. Horrible grip on hard wet surfaces.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 700x32 (28x1.3) version of this tire, which came with my 'cross bike. I think it's still applicable because the tread pattern and design are identical to the 26" versions.

If you're looking for a fast tire for on-road/moderate off-road use in dry conditions, and you need more grip than a semislick offers, this could be it. It rolls better than any knobbies but has better grip on rocks and loose stuff than semislicks do. I did get a couple of goat head flats on a ride with them - as others have mentioned, they wedged between the knobs and worked their way in. I tried commuting on these but they are dangerously sketchy on wet pavement - and not much good on wet conditions. I have other fast 'cross tires I use in various conditions, but I'm thinking of bringing these back into service for rides where I'm doing a mix of pavement of gravel, because they have just enough bite to get me through the gravel while rolling really fast. 4 chilis for its intended use.

Favorite Trail:   somewhere in the desert

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Conti Twister, Ritchey Mount Cross, Kenda Kross Supreme, Panaracer Smoke, Conti Goliath, Conti Town&Country

Bike Setup:   2001 Bianchi Volpe cyclocross bike

Submitted by jer a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City UT

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    Great commuter tire once you throw a set of Kevlar liners in the mix,(Product is prone to pick up goatheads inbetween the threads.)Their is a gravel section on my paved favorite trail. This tire seams to have the best compound for the desert climate I'm in,Although I haven't tested alot of tires as of yet.I'm riding 125 miles a week on them and the responce is holding up better than I had antisapated.

Weaknesses:    You gotta fun Kevlar liners.

Bottom Line:
    resonable tire for the cost,Sure would be nice if they would offer a kevlar belted version as well.

Favorite Trail:   Jordan river

Purchased At:   Guthrie's

Similar Products Used:   cont./Bontrager

Bike Setup:   1st bike-Bianchi Linx-Redone with XT Comp.Girlfriends bike-GT pantara with LX/I also have Bianchi Volpe(Heavy touring)set up with XT on 700c rims with the allterainauses(30/32)versions.the go great without a load on them but forget it if you want to put weight on them.(panneirs)

Submitted by Amos Hoe a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Strengths:    Fast rolling, sufficiently knobby for the occasional off road.

Weaknesses:    Attracts punctures

Bottom Line:
    In the third month I've had the tire, it got 3 punctures, one from a rock, one from a broken piece of glass and one from a small staplet. The groves of this baby just seems to place the foreign objects at the correct angle to pierce the tire.
    I travel mainly on the road and these objects are quite common, small rocks and other sharp parts, but I did not have any problem with the other tires. The Panaracer's been serving me well for 2 months now.
    Not ready to recommend to anyone.

Purchased At:   Cheap John

Similar Products Used:   Factory XC 1.95, Panaracer Mach SS

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 but lotsa changed parts, XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Ron Shufflebarger a Cross Country Rider from Winfield, Ks. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    This is a very fast rolling and very maneuvable tire. Long lasting, very long. Grips better than any semi-slick and allows you to go just about anywhere quickly. Tread blocks help cut down on flats. The closest thing to a do all tire.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, no big deal, it's no more than any std. tire. Somehow since they have a decent tread people think they're slow and don't roll with the semi's

Bottom Line:
    For hardback trails,gravel roads, paved roads it goes with the best. Heavy loose rock, sand, hell-biking, this is not the best but that's what we have that extra set of big knobby treads for, isn't it.

Favorite Trail:   Eagle Trail, Kaw Lake, Okla

Purchased At:   Rising House Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Conti's, Bontrager semi's, nimbus, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Have them on Barracuda Hardtail(wife's bike) and my Stumpjumper hardtail and K2 FS.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    low rolling resistance, no buzz, decent traction on hardpack.

Bottom Line:
    I was looking for a good all around tire for commuting, light trail riding, and general use, and I found it. I have the 41/40 version which are just over 1.5" wide. They also make a 32/30 version. These tires roll very easily when pumped to their 80 PSI max, yet have good traction with lower pressures. They don't have as large a volume of air as a regular mountain bike tire, so you have to run the pressure a little higher and look out for rocks. Good traction in dry conditions, but I have not tried them in the wet, and probably won't! Great all around/commuter tire, and also makes a good cyclocross tire for your mountain bike! 5 chili's.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail

Purchased At:   Airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Continental Top Touring

Bike Setup:   10+ year old rigig mtn. bike, set up for commuting.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Albury

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
    Tread appears to be durable

Weaknesses:
    Prone to puncures & hard to get on and off the rim

Bottom Line:
    It appears that this tire is going to last a fair while given the treadwear so far. These tires grip on tarmac and gravel can at best be desrcibed as fair. The tread design picks up lots of tiny stones, and cosidering the width is fairly noisy. Buggers to get off the rim, and I don't know if it is just me but more punctures than I had with my last set of goliaths.

dese

6 months

Conti's Tioga & IRC's

Mongoose IBOC comp

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Phila., PA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1999

Strengths:
    Traction,Light weight,Rolling resistance

Weaknesses:
    none that I've found yet

Bottom Line:
    Since I use this as a commuter bike a couple of times during the week for training . I was looking for a dual purpose tire that could handle both the pavement and off road conditions I encounter on my route.
    WTB has designed a tire that is both good on the pavement and in the dirt. It is comfortable, quiet and predictable on the street, corners great and will get you through many off road conditions.

Pennsylvania Gulch (somewhere outside of Boulder)

3 months

Specialized Nimbus,Crossroads

Voodoo DA-JAB,SID-XC,XT/LX

Submitted by Harry a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
    Good rolling resistence
    Excellent traction
    Predictable

Bottom Line:
    I ride the larger version on my commuter/mud/winter bike which is a little larger than 1.5. Great tire within it's intended range. A little higher rolling resistance than a slick but MUCH better tire in the dirt. Breakaway is predictable in the corners unlike a slick or semi slick.Fair tire in mud, good in snow and great in hard dirt. I would choose this tire over a semi-slick as a race tire, much better traction.

Peak

1 Year

Slicks and semi-slicks

Full stiffy old mtn bike urban assault vehicle

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
    No comment

Weaknesses:
    Promises a lot but does'nt deliver

Bottom Line:
    I thought these would make the perfect commute tyre. The advertisement was very convincing, the graphic showing the tyres usage mirrored my daily commute to work and comments like Nothing can hold you back more than losing confidence in your tyres sure sold me. Only 3 kilometres into the first ride and the dreaded sound of escaping air ! Now I know that this is part of cycling and it can happen anytime, but in this case the culprit was an innocuous little white stone with no sharp edges that had forced its way through the casing. A whinge to the local dealer fell on deaf ears, and I am obviously a little peeved that the durable and versatile description from the advertisement does'nt hold water (or air !!). Put the old well worn speedmax's back on, and have had only 1 puncture (glass) in the last 550 kms. One to avoid.

tested or demo'ed only