Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

• DETAILS - steel bead | standard rubber | rugged casing

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by supersedona a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Good low noise decent grip road/multi tire. On dry road it is smooth and quiet, in wet it is very neutral handling with low sling.

Weaknesses:    Not sure so much yet, but I would not be inclined to do soft trails with it.

Bottom Line:
    Great tire for commuting in all weather. The first day I used it was dry and cold on the way out to work and it was about as effective as I could expect. It has less drag than my 2.1 inch Bontrager slicks and rides a little softer. Biggest thing is they have way more grip in the slush/wet than the slicks without paying for the vibration/drag that the mud and trail tires did.

Favorite Trail:   Michaux Forrest

Purchased At:   Saucon Valley Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Comfort slick 2.1, Panaracer Fire XC, Panaracer Trailblaster, Ritchey Zmax, WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Giant Sedona ATX, both trail and road/aero mtb versions.

Submitted by scorchedearth a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Not a bad tyre. I had the 32C size that came stock with my Volpe and it suited me just fine. Rolling resistance was decent and I only got one flat before my weekend of successive flats which indicated that I needed a new pair. Total distance ridden before replacement: 2200km.

Weaknesses:    They trap dirt and other debris in the treads.

Bottom Line:
    Not a bad tire. I am switching to slicks for my next set though.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Volpe 2012

Submitted by Roller a Weekend Warrior from Van Nuys,Ca

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    very long wearing, smooth, quiet, CHEAP!

Weaknesses:    easy flats

Bottom Line:
    This review is for a hybrid bike but I use it on dirt paths occasionally.

These tires are size 700x40, and they are much more durable than the 30/32's I had.

I have a couple of years on them and the center is worn but the rest is like new.

Very easy rolling.

They do get flats easily, and I got a flat on the front 30/32 and destroyed the tube, but I rode 17 miles with the tire on the rim, including a long down hill road section, and it was fine afterwards and I continued to use the tire until the tread was nearly gone with no problems at all!

WTB tires are the only ones I buy now because they never tear out the sidewalls, and that has happened to every other brand that I have tried.

They are always cheap and if you look around you can often find them for next to noithing.

Similar Products Used:   same tire, 700 30/32 size; big difference as far as wear.

Bike Setup:   2003 Raleigh c500

Submitted by bjglenn90 a Cross Country Rider from Frankfurt Germany

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    good traction, quite, light and smooth

Weaknesses:    Flats, this tire hates glass and sharp stones. I upgraded to thicker tubes but just got the 4th flat in 5 months. In Frankfurt there is lots of glass everywhere beer bottles and wine bottles. So I bought some Infinity Armadillo Tires and their best tubes that seal themselves. I ride daily and maybe drive a car once a week maybe so to many flats on these tires it is sad they are still like new.

Bottom Line:
    Hates GLASS!! and sharp stones other than that I liked them...Eat's tubes.

Favorite Trail:   Rhine

Purchased At:   with bike

Bike Setup:   single speed san jose

Submitted by mneal a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    Good Tread wear, Quiet, 2 years with no flats! Very good in the dirt and on the road.

Weaknesses:    Like to catch small rocks in the tread, a little tricky in mud.

Bottom Line:
    I have been looking for a set of All Terrain type tires for this bike for a while and finally took a chance on these. I do a lot of overnight fishing/camping trips on this bike and get off-road at times, nothing too serious though.
    These tires have been more than up to the challenge and VERY flat resistant. Sweet tire, still look as good as the day I bought them :)

Favorite Trail:   Little Miami Bike Trail

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Similar Products Used:   First set of All Terrain type tire.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale ST 400 Touring.

Submitted by XxKilr0yxX a Weekend Warrior from Akron, Ohio

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2009

Strengths:    Strong long lasting trend, relatively low rolling resistance, great puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    Knobby, and bad in loose packed surfaces.

Bottom Line:
    I do not have too much experience with any other tires but I do like these ones. I have ridden on many different surfaces from, trail to towpath to city commuting and the only thing I have problems getting through is sand and gravel. Some other reviews have said these tires have problems in mud and from my experience my tear through mud, at least relatively shallow mud. Overall I have had a great experience with these tires and if you are looking for a long lasting all-around tire this is it!

Favorite Trail:   Towpath

Purchased At:   Century Cycles

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Transporter

Submitted by ben middleton a Racer from modesto ca usa

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    an absolutely awesome tire. I commute with it, and have done so with the same set of tires on my bianchi volpe for 4 years. I can't seem to wear out the tread.

Weaknesses:    not a slick, so it'll slow you down, but, it's a great tire to get in shape. I try to get as fast as I can on my road bike. Then when I get on my road bike, I'm faster.

Bottom Line:
    buy them if you want a great deal; don't if you looking for speed.

Favorite Trail:   the road

Purchased At:   the bike shop

Bike Setup:   bianchi volpe

Submitted by blue_dragon a Weekend Warrior from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    Great grip on pavement and hardpack, cheap, slow tread wear, fast mud cleaning.

Weaknesses:    Bad grip on fire roads

Bottom Line:
    Quite a good tire. I can have only one bike and use two sets of tires, one for off-road, other for road rides and switch between them every month or two. I've had these for a month now. They-re great! Low rolling resistance, silent and fast. After 780km I can't see any sign of wear on them. Punctured only once with a thorn. They weigh 630g.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign with Z.1

Submitted by Russell a Weekend Warrior from Norman

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    Extrememly Fast rolling! Does not wear? It's a magic tire that will last twice as long a anything I've ridden. I've ridden them in all conditions for over 2 years and they still look new - It's weird. . .

Weaknesses:    They don't shed mud quite as well as I'd like and behave strangely in sand (vibrate when accelerating).

Bottom Line:
    I would recommend them for anyone who enjoys urban rides on their trail bike and doesn't want to change tires between rides.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Bay

Purchased At:   Came with Bianchi M.U.S.S.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wildgripper, Continental Double fighter

Bike Setup:   Stock 06' Bianchi MUSS

Submitted by Charles Francis a Weekend Warrior from Eugene,Or.U.S.A

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    Rideability,durability,great all weather city tire,good trail tire,low rolling resistance,fairly light,corners well,very predictable.Tread stays clean

Weaknesses:    Hard casing only for puncture resistance(but no flats so far)must be enough for me.Tires "hum" in the rain.Tires "throw" debris(recommend guards).Does "ok" in the snow and its not a mud tire

Bottom Line:
    The best multi-purpose(all-terrain tire)i've owned,does everything you ask of it, in a really predicable manner.Good tire at a pretty good price.ALMOST perfect!

Favorite Trail:   Eugene pike baths,Willamette national forest, city streets

Purchased At:   Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Tom "slick",Forte "fast trac"

Bike Setup:   Cannondale killer-v 400 hardtail,peppercorn fork,upgraded "lightweight parts", a true multi-purpose bike,23lbs.

Submitted by Jacob a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, ca

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    Tread wear, especially on pavement. Cheap. Light. Tough casing gives good handling and flat protection. Tread is great on hardpack, loose over hardpack, rock, street.

Weaknesses:    Not alot of overall grip. Anything loose or slimy is advanced mountsin biking on these tires.

Bottom Line:
    The durability and rigidity of the casing is the standout feature. I have a set of these tires that have been mounted the the same set of rims for a long, long time without ever coming off. Slime takes care of small thorns and few even get thru the casing. The bead is very strong and holds onto the rim firmly, and the stiff sidewalls resist rolling and pinching.

The tread itself works great on rock and hardpack. Not good, GREAT. There's not a ton of grip, but what's there is genuinly reliable. I go fast on these things. They aren't too bad on standing climbs, either. And the don't pack up mud too bad.

The tire is not a dedicated off road tire tho. Sand, little mud, etc will have your attention when riding these tires.

As someone who often ends up riding their trail bike on pavement, I'm tempted to get a set of these instead of the soft xc tires I usually get.

Purchased At:   Came stock on a Kona Fire Mountain

Submitted by Wes a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, NE

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent grip on pavement & hardpack - Excellent wear characteristics.

Weaknesses:    Don't try it in mud!

Bottom Line:
    I can't believe this tire hasn't been reviewed yet. I was just getting set to buy another set of these and was debating whether to try something new or just stick with the old dependable. I run this tire on my commuter bike which gets ridden about 80% pavement, 20% dirt singletrack. This is by far the best all-around tire I've found. I works great on dry, hard and semi-hardpack conditions. It's not the absoulte best tire for hardpack dirt you can find but it's much more versatile & long wearing than any of the other hardpack specific tires I've tried. It doesn't work in mud. I've got about 1500 miles on my current set and they've got quite a bit of tread left, but I thought I'd give them to a buddy that's wanting to get back into biking and go buy myself a brand new set.

Purchased At:   Nashbar probably