Vee Rubber Vee 8 Tire

The Vee 8 is comprised of rows of 8Tapered and ramped lugs acrossThe entireTire.The slightly smaller knobs (than onThe Vee 6) make ThisTire a speed demon.ThisTire is perfect for medium-To hard-packed dirt. Intended Use: MountainTPI: 120Tire Diameter: 26”

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2014

Strengths:    High puncture resistance
Sturdy casing
Quick rolling

Weaknesses:    700g for a 29x2.1 tire

Bottom Line:
This tire is to SoCal hardpack like ice skates are to ice. Super fast going straight and manages to have a direct carving feel. It looks narrow and it likes high pressure, but it seems to go through pockets of sand without tripping, bogging down just a little. The casing feels tough and puncture resistant, something you wouldn't expect from a 120 tpi casing, but it's heavy for a 2.1 tire at 700g.

I set this up split-tube-ghetto-tubeless and have been riding on it for the past 6 months on my Niner Air9 RDO, with a tubeless 2.4 Racing Ralph up front. I've flatted the front twice in the past 2 weeks, and notice that it picks up a lot of goatheads while exploring nearby hills and dirt. On the other hand, I've not found any sticking into the Vee 8. I can only assume that its casing repels them. I run the 2.1 with 30 psi in it. Any lower and it seems to lose some lateral grip, slips on off-cambers, and becomes squirmy (losing stability in general).

I've been happy enough to not feel like peeling off this tire. Its rubber compound isn't the grippiest, but is very well behaved, more comparable to Maxxis rubber in dry hardpack conditions than other compounds. I've been able to climb all the steep dry and dusty hardpack climbs with no more than the usual amount of "scratching" feedback. It responds to weight pretty well, slipping around tight corners if I move my weight up, but sticking if I shift my weight back over it if I need it to follow the front as expected. After about 6 months, I expect tires to be at least half life, but it seems to only have its edges softened.

I'm no racer and I don't train, but I get excited when I improve my average speed by over 0.1 MPH over a local 7 mile loop that I often ride many afternoons before sunset. After tuning up my bike for my last ride, I decided to see how fast I could ride my loop and managed to break my 12 MPH average speed plateau (11.6 was the fastest I remember doing it the last time).

This tire seems great for training and inspires you to ride harder. It really is fast for riding foothills, canyons, and around the base of mountains. For climbing, its main drawback, the weight, will hold you back, but during training that's results in a better workout and that weight seems to be going into durability. It's simply a good value reliable dry hardpack tire. For $40, I'd hesitate a bit, but when on sale for 25% or more bringing it under $30, I'd recommend it. Can't speak for any other conditions, other than for dry SW USA desert conditions, but so far I'm impressed. I'm certain to try Vee Rubber in the future.

Duration Product Used:   1000 miles

Similar Products Used:   Slant 6 UST, Ikon 2.2 EXc EXO, X-King ProTection, Hutchinson Cobra, Duro Miner, Michelin Country Dry2

Bike Setup:   Niner Air 9 RDO, SID Brain, Enve XC non-UST rear, split-tube-ghetto Vee Rubber 29x2.1 Vee 8 rear @ 30 psi, Racing Ralph 2.4 EVO Snakeskin PaceStar front @ 20 psi on Haven carbon, 1x10 32T/11-36 drivetrain.

Vee Rubber - Vee 8

Ordered quite some time ago from Jenson USA, delivered yesterday. At $60/ea, they're quite a "deal" for 26x4.0 tires. It was a great present heading into the weekend. I only was able to get them out of the box last night and they looked sharp. As the early reviews around the interweb state, the knob ... Read More »

Vee Rubber Vee 8, 10, 12???

I recently picked up a new 2012 Trek Marlin. This bike will be used on road (with the wife on her hybrid) and on trails. The trail would probably be dry single tracks (not too steep, I'm in Iowa.) I'd like to switch out the tires. The bonti 29-2s don't seem to like pavement very much. I was i ... Read More »