Home | Reviews | Tire | Trek

2.7/5 (33 Reviews)

Trek Big Kahuna Tires

Submitted by Jeremy

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    The only strenght they have shown is in the mud. Oh and they were cheap.

Weaknesses:    Wear quickly, and dont inspire confidence in the corners.

Bottom Line:
They are okay for the price but I'd rather shell out a more money and have a set of tires that excell in all around trail riding

Submitted by bikingceasarscreek a Cross Country Rider from Springboro, OH

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Undeniably the best off road tire there is. Grips like a mad man and has a beefy look.

Weaknesses:    Wears out quicker if you ride on paved trails or roads...keep it in the dirt or get a separate bike for the paved trails.

Bottom Line:
I am going to buy a load of these tires so when they are no longer out there, I'll still be gripping trails like a mad man!

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Came with the bike..

Similar Products Used:   Rear tire so worn had to pick up a "regular" tire from a local super store and it is no comparison. Definitely ordering more Big Kahuna's from Trek!

Bike Setup:   Trek 820, front suspension, hard tail.

Submitted by Crazy Q a Cross Country Rider from Augusta

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Hooks up like a mo fo. Best tire for the money... This thing digs like a dog with fleas on his nuts. Now I can lean my bike in the corners until the pedals drag and this rubber keeps me screamin.

Weaknesses:    No longer made.

Bottom Line:
If there was only one tire made for the trail this is the critter. Excellent on the rear. Super cornering at high speeds and super hill climbing abilities (not for "hungry man.") To all you "tread wears fast" people, try riding in the trail instead of to the corner-store for twinkies.

Favorite Trail:   Collar Bone Hill

Purchased At:   Auclairs

Similar Products Used:   All stock. Nothing I remember like the Big K.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 Comp with Judy's.

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from mims, FL, U.S.A

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent self cleaning characteristics in mud, good flotation in sand, great traction, and little road noise. You can go through over 12 inches of mud, run the dunes, go rockcrawling, and road race all in one day.

Weaknesses:    What weaknesses!?

Bottom Line:
These are the best tires for off-road use you can buy. Everyone who rides in severe off-road conditions should buy them.

Submitted by CadBoy a Weekend Warrior from Badass, MN

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1999

Strengths:
this tire makes alot of noise on pavement which is cool on pathways to get people out of the way, it's a loud whirring sound.

Weaknesses:
Rolling resistance requires a 30+mph back wind.

Bottom Line:
Found this tire at a shop for $15 a pair, I bought it for the bad ass tread pattern and name. I'm sure they work great on some conditions, I just haven't found it. I give it 4 flamin dead jack asses on price and the noise they make.

the one I'm on

6 months

wrapping rags around the rim

electric shock, bike with 2 wheels

Submitted by pifpo a Weekend Warrior from Phila., PA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1999

Strengths:
Front tire-grips better than the stock tires on my G. Fisher(s)

Weaknesses:
like the person before me said-they're not made anymore

Bottom Line:
I don't believe that any problems I've had on the trail can be attributed to this tire.

the one I'm riding

1 Year

Velociraptor, and whatever the white stock front tire on my '97 Big Sur was.

'99 Paragon, Judy XC

Submitted by X a Weekend Warrior from Phila., PA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
MUCH better than the whateverRAPTOR that came on the front of my bike.

Weaknesses:
Not made anymore.

Bottom Line:
Has held up well over a year and I dread the time when it finally goes.

wherever

1 Year

The piece o' CRAPTOR that WAS on front.

97 Big Sur

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
CHEAP! CHEAP! Kevlar bead. Decent weight.

Weaknesses:
Wasn't free

Bottom Line:
So, when I finally wore thru my trusty ole Z-max, I needed a replacement.... At the time I was working in a shop and was able to get it for $10!! And it was Kevlar beaded to boot. Now I am used to wet mud, and root riding, so no wimpy @ss slick will ever do on the front. I have been riding this baby since 1994, and racing it since 1996. It grips great... little slow rolling, but fitness can always overcome that. I give it 5 big ones because of the price, and tenacity.

galbraith

more than 3 years

Z-max, Mythos, Dart

Norco Pro Issue, XTR, blah blah blah

Submitted by Bird a Cross-Country Rider from North Branch

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
These were on my sis's trek 830, but they were too knobby for pavement driving.,,I decided they might be good for general dirt riding on my Diamond back. These things wore like a pencil eraser in 2 weeks. They're a rough ride, and with all these knobs you'd think they'd provide traction, I guess they're just supposed to look good. Avoid these hoops

more than 3 years

Submitted by dytjhk a racer from ca

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

these blow chunks. they are bad tires. Road tires work better then these. they are CRAP on the grass,pavement, dirt, gravel, water, rocks, ruts, roots, mud ,sand , carpet, pebles, etc!

Submitted by Xavery Mulinski a cross-country rider from PL

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Came in stock with my last bike - Trek 850 '95.
They got big rolling resistances and are overly heavy. The rear has nice grip
for some time - but after that -> CRAP ! Not too solid - the rear didn't last more than 1500 km, next there were only flats - up to one a trip.Could be better but they're probably very cheap now so let's give 'em
2,5 flamin' shit => say 3

Submitted by JayCee a cross-country rider from SF,CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Who makes this tire list? Some of these tires no one has ever heard of. Like this one- except me. Was cheap in the clearance bin at Trek dealer. Bought the front one- It is grippy and big and has a square carcass, but has very high rolling resistance. Noisiest front tire I've ever had- design is early 1990's for suspension forks Mag20/21 early Manitou's. Does anyone even have this tire? Dammit, I have one- Absorbs everything, huge.

Submitted by Josh a cross-country rider from ontario

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

My bike came with these pieces of crap on it. They are to big and heavy. They wear very quickly. I put michelin wildgrippers lites on my bike and lost a little more than half a pound on each tire! WARNING: DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES, THEY SUCK! IF YOU HAVE THEM ON YOUR BIKE NOW THEN TAKE THEM OFF AND BURN THEM!

Submitted by Scott a cross-country rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires came stock on my 97 Trek 830. Overall, they have done their job. The back tire almost lasted a full year, but came up short. The front tire barely has a pulse with 2 months to go. What do you expect though? $50 tires on a $300 bike? Not even sure they make these anymore. I think they are officially dead. The patterns were decent, but the wear was soft. They also feel a little heavy.

Submitted by Charlie V from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hmmm. I spent several minutes thumbing through a dictionary and a thesauras in an attempt to find the perfect words to describe these tires and I found them, THEY F%$#(*& SUCK! My kobbies were only knobby for a month of dirt riding. they climb like an anvil, the grip is slicker than a minnows dick and they stayed flatter than My grannies titties.