Home | Reviews | Tire | Tioga

Tioga Yellow Kirin Tire

3.36/5 (11 Reviews)

The Yellow Kirin have ramped center lugs w/ a deep profile outer lug for fast rolling & a great cornering tire. They feature the extra thick Fat 66 casing technology and a special Slow rebound rubber that conforms to the terrain enabling the rider to keep constant control. 840g

Submitted by super sage a Weekend Warrior from dallas, pa

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Seems to be great sticky rubber compound, aggressive tread design and price. Overall ride feel was ok.

Weaknesses:    By my second ride on these tires a knobby has completely come off exposing under fibers on rear tire. After closer inspection I also found a number of other knobbies ready to come off.

Bottom Line:
I want my $15 back. The yellow kirkin are a horrible rear tire and a waste of my money. The front tire seems to be holding up better, but common, these are DH tires and after two x-country/freerides, they need to be replaced. What's up Tioga?!

Favorite Trail:   peterson mountain

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   Tioga DH Factory 2.1, have been riding these tires for 10 years and loved them

Bike Setup:   Norco Torrent hard tale stock

Submitted by Malcolm a Downhiller from Boulder, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    CAN be predictable and corner well on roads an dirt paths (hiking trails) in dry/warm conditions. Good tires to practice controlling your slides around turns.

Weaknesses:    FLATS- Using these tires I got a flat almost EVERY time I went out riding. Pinch flats, thorns, blow outs. The sidewalls have almost no strength at all and parts of the tire are almost paper thin. Sucks like no other on dust and sand.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these tires. If they come with a bike you purchased, switch them out with quality tires. Will serve a better purpose deteriorating in a landfill then they will on your bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike - Came on GT

Similar Products Used:   Bunch of random tires- I would have switched out these sooner had I been able to ride more over the last year.

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive 5

Submitted by Steve from England

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
It took me a while to sus this tyre. It started out on the rear of my FSR; it rolls OK on anything hard and dry and is reasonably grippy at low pressure on loose, rocky ground; nothing special though. My trip to work and back takes in a couple of miles of loose gravel and the Kirin just never quite felt right. I switched it to the front, out of curiosity, and almost wiped myself out the first time I took a tight left on the gravel.
I need to have confidence in my components and it all begins with my tyres...these thing just didn't give me that. Until I wandered onto sand. Talk about square pegs in round holes; on the rear the Kirin grabs the dirt. On medium dense sand it just holds on, allowing me to put as much into my pedal stroke as I care to without trying to hold off a spin. Put it on the front and its the same story.

If you're running/racing on riverside type sand, or on hard, dry trails, then I would recommend the Yellow Kirin, front & rear. It also feels pretty good on dry tarmac or pavement although mine started to crumble and break up after about 6 weeks of mostly urban riding.

Everything is designed for something and if you play the Kirin to it's strengths then it shouldn't let you down.

Bike Setup:   Enduro, JT's and stuff

Submitted by tony rossi a Cross Country Rider from Stowe, VT

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2006

Strengths:    Killer in sand and the loose stuff. Fast rolling and corners like a dream. Super smooth.

Weaknesses:    They aren't the longest lasting tire, but they do ok.

Bottom Line:
I rode the Kirin while in Florida last summer and they killed it in the sand and loose stuff...up and down. Super fast rolling and super smooth on everything else as well. Very predictable and a good price. I bought another set to throw on when the ones on now are through.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack in general is fun.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Everything

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekell w/manitou Sherman 1.5", XT Components, Magura Marta SL 180mm

Submitted by Steve Kay a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Strengths:    Predictable, slow wearing, sticky - but only on the front.

Weaknesses:    Can fold under you in tight switchbacks if you let the pressure get low. Not the best rear tyre, but brilliant on the front.
Pricey if you haven't got a mate who gets them stock on his sponsored bikes.

Bottom Line:
First off, I'm an IT contractor, so if I can't work I don't get paid - so I only do moderately agressive xc - 6 foot drops and gravity stuff is not what I do.

When I first got this tyre I put it on the back wheel (to replace a blue dragon), immediately thought it was crap and took it off - BTW the blue dragon really was crap. A couple of months later I gave it a second go on the front and it is amazing. The Kirin is my perfect front tyre - it sticks beautifully in the (rare) mud and floats across dust and gravel without getting sketchy. Slimy roots and rocks are no problem. BUT it can fold under you in tight switchbacks if you let the pressure get low.

Combined with a Ritchey Elevador on the rear and I have a setup that works beautifully for the east coast of Australia (predominantly dry with hard pack and loose dust / gravel).

Favorite Trail:   Killingworth

Purchased At:   Semi Pro rider - sponsored by another brand

Similar Products Used:   Geax Sturdy (great rear tyre), Hutchison Pythons, Maxxis Larsen TT's & many others.

Bike Setup:   Giant VT running 5 inches front & rear. My fabourtie combination is to run the Tioga on the front and a Ritchey Elevador on the back. Both are perfect for the riding I do.

Submitted by Evel Knievel a Weekend Warrior from dry rocky hardpack with sand area

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Strengths:    Best front tire for XC . Corners great . Wears good for a soft rubber copound.
This tire converted to tubless with ease. Traction on hardpack , loose and sand is the where this tire is best. Rocks . roots , slick rock and wet it doses pretty good.

Weaknesses:    They seem fatter than the measurement.

Bottom Line:
The best fat and light weight tire for the front durring xc riding.

Favorite Trail:   little Creek Mesa

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   numerous

Bike Setup:   many

Submitted by DR a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton,AB

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Strengths:    Digs well in soft (not muddy) dirt, runs fast on hardpack, does corner well.

Weaknesses:    Throws trail debris all over the place.

Bottom Line:
I got these tires to save my soft Blue grooves, and they work well - 2.3 size is pretty accurate. Roll on any gravel and it's heading for your eyes...

Favorite Trail:   Overlander

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Blue Groove 2.5's, Pana XC's, Hutch Scorpions

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT, Mavic Crosslands

Submitted by Mark Ukotic a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Strengths:    An all round solid tyre for the XC riding.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't call it a slow tire but it's definitely not a fast tyre (from a XC point of view).

Bottom Line:
These tyres have gotten a few bad reviews. Not entirely sure why??? This tyre came stock as a front on my Avalanche. I’ve used this tyre for a little over 2 months of solid daily riding. After that period I can still see the little dimples on each tread.

I did have to increase the pressure a couple times after the first few weeks. Maybe an indication that the tyre stretched, but I can’t confirm it??? For the first week until the tyre settled in it was like glue picking up everything, from dust to pebbles and stone and throwing it up. Since then the tyre has settled well on the tracks and the wide tread helps to handles the corners.

Overall I really can’t fault the tyre. Almost three months in and it handles as well as it ever has. Be warned though that it is a slow tyre on bitumen.

4 chillies for value as it came with the bike.
5 chillies overall as I can’t fault the tyre (and to help the overall rating).

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Blue Dragon running as a rear.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 0.0

Submitted by Dbohnsai from Chilli, Oh

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have not had any issues with these tires and I've been riding them for over a year. Tread is still in good condition. Only problem I've ever had is riding in super dusty conditions, the sticky ruber compound attracts the dust and makes the tire slippery. Great for wet but not super muddy condtions. These tires are much better than my Kenda Blue Grooves. I'll be replacing my worn out Nokian NBX's with these too.

Submitted by Renny Glover a Weekend Warrior from Nederland, Co. USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    they're big; they measured 2.3 when I first put them on, two weeks later with 30 psi in them they had stretched to 2.4

Weaknesses:    they slide way too much in loose conditions. Not inches, but feet. scarey and unpredictable. The outer knobs started granulating and chunking at 4 weeks, at 5 weeks old one of the rear outer knobs came off and took a nickel sized chunk of casing with it, exposing the threads. I retired the tires that day, after 5 weeks use.

Bottom Line:
I'm really disappointed with these tires. I used the factory dh 2.3's for years, I was hoping these tires would be an improvement. They are far from it. Stay far away from these tires. Absolute pieces of ****!

Purchased At:   n/a