Home | Reviews | Tire | Tioga

Tioga Factory XC Slick Tire

Weight : 530g (kevlar)

• 26" x 1.85" (46mm casing; 51mm tread)
  • FAT66 casing technology
  • Weight: 530g kevlar; 560g steel

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, fast rolling, reasonable price

Weaknesses:    none found yet.

Bottom Line:
    Bought these originally for a 60 KM point to point race (Paris to Ancaster) that had road sections, fire roads as well as some mild single track and some muddy sections.

These tires have exceeded my expectations. They roll very well, so well that I haven't bothered to put my Specialized Nimbus slicks back on for road rides.

I can comfortably ride at almost 30 KM/H with these tires on flat ground....and they excelled in the race mentioned above.

To those who commented earlier about these tires being bad in rocks, rough trails or the wet...these are a purpose built tire...for hard, very dry terrain. If you are riding rocks, mud or technical terrain, look elsewhere.

using these tires outside their intended use is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

FWIW, I am 200 pounds and I have never had a flat on these tires.

When used as intended, these tires deliver as promised. 5 Flaming chilis.

Purchased At:   Bike show

Similar Products Used:   First semi slick

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe hardtail (custom build)

Submitted by da vincy Trills for kills a Downhiller from Butuan, Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Strengths:    fast rollin,good for roadies, hard pack terrain,xc racing, good for the rear, can lessen pinch flat

Weaknesses:    slippery when wet, not good for the front, no good for steep descent

Bottom Line:
    this wheely are good for the rear, hard pack/dry season terrain, you can ride with this baby on the rockiz! not diffinitely for front

Favorite Trail:   brgy.bon2x, pianing, dumalagan uphills, manlangit-alubihid, pinamanculan

Purchased At:   Genuine cycle center

Similar Products Used:   any low resistant wheel

Bike Setup:   freeride/dual attack mode

Submitted by Alistair a Cross Country Rider from Niagara, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2005

Strengths:    price, weight, rolls very fast on hard pack and dry trails. Handles the technical well at 50 psi

Weaknesses:    I've had more flats this summer on one tire than I've had in the past 5 years!

Bottom Line:
    Is someone seeding my local trails with glass and nails? I never had this problem before, but I love this tire ... it's fast

Favorite Trail:   Stuturn

Purchased At:   bike show

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Michelin, Panaracer, blah blah blah

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Hardtail with XT/XTR

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Trenton, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    Durability, Larger than 1.85

Bottom Line:
    This tire works very good in northeast trail conditions. The best front tire I've ever used. The rear is ok in wet conditions and Excellent in dry. I've ridden rocky, rooty and loose conditions with no problems. These are as good as the kenda stick-e rubber tires, but they don't wear as fast as the kendas. These tires are also a little over 2" wide and have large side lugs. Sidewalls are thick for a light tire. There's almost no tread in the center but they still hook up great in the climbs and roll fast in the flats.

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Trailblasters,mosquitos,karma,Kozmic lite

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali 5.5" Trailbike

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from North Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Price!

Weaknesses:    Has a tendency to break loose on fast corners.

Bottom Line:
    This is a overall a great tire for the price. Zero flats in the past 1.5 yrs., wears just as any mtb tire would and excellent climbing ability. The only downfall I experiance is that the front tire tends to break loose on fast corners.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill State Park

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager revolt, Fire XC pro

Bike Setup:   Trek 8900,XT/XTR/SRAM/raceface drivetrain

Submitted by gigsy a Weekend Warrior from bangkok

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1999

Strengths:
    light, looks good, good tread on thew edges, not too rounded

Weaknesses:
    None as yet. Worried about flats. Wet, slick surfaces will be a watchout.

Bottom Line:
    I like them so far. My theory is that if it gets a little boggy, the square edges should provide enough grip. Have noticed some linear wheel spin in the wet. Cornering is good. You have to consider that these are situation specific treads - they won't perform great in everything, but I think they're versatile enough in rougher conditions to prevent any disasters. If you're using them in conditions other than what they're meant for all the time, you're an idiot and need to choose a different tire. 5 ring stingers.

patpong road

IRC, Panaracer

Mongoose RockadileSX, with Indy C, Cross Link wheelset.

Submitted by GTRider a Cross-Country Rider from Bremerton Wa.

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Strengths:
    Light,Fast,hook up well under most conditions

Weaknesses:
    Pain to get off rim.

Bottom Line:
    Great tires for all sorts of riding.But remember they are slicks.So they are not perfect.A pain in the tail to get off my rims when flat.

Victor Falls

3 months

wildgripper sprints.

Cr18's with LX hubs

Submitted by Willy a Racer from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
    I had a MTB race this last weekend that had over 5 miles of pavement. I decided to use some slicks because of this. The day of the race it was pouring and everyone was changing to their mud tires. I didn't change (duh). When we got to the first muddy climb they mud was so sticky that everybody else was gumming up and the slick hooked up and I had no problems. I'm not smart enough to have guessed right I was just to lazy to change tires before the race and they worked great. For me this day, these unique conditions they are 5 flamers worth. I'll post another review after I ride them more.

Wasatch Crest, SLC Cottonwood Canyon, LV, NV

Submitted by Travis Allen a Racer from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1999

Strengths:
    Low rolling resistance, excellent cornering ability, low weight.

Weaknesses:
    Muddy Conditions, Rocky conditions.

Bottom Line:
    This tyres are good only in hardpack dry conditions. They are pathetic in rocky conditions , even on dirt road with some rocks. I had 6 flats when riding these on a rocky dirt road which totally destroyed the rear tyre with cuts in several places (I tried to vary air pressure to avoid pintch flats but did not seem to help). If you ride on Olympic control trials these are fine but for normal racing and training conditions these tyres are not good enough

Arthurs Seat State Park

6 months

Most other Tioga tyres

Mongoose rockadile SX with a RST Mozo Pro fork

Submitted by Patrick Wullaert a Cross-Country Rider from De Klinge, Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Weaknesses:
    Virtually worthless in mud

Bottom Line:
    The Tioga Factory XC Slicks came as standard on my Kona King Kikapu. They're not bad tyres, gripping well in dry corners and even on straight mud sections, but when the mud is in the corners the tyre is really loose (as can be expected).
    For a semi-slick I didn't find the tyre particularly fast. I changed them for my trusted Velociraptors (back tyre in reversed direction) and I'm almost just as fast now.
    Another thing : they were pretty difficult to put on my Mavic X517 rims; harder than with most other tyres.

La Roche, Belgium

Kona King Kikapu 99 w/ Magura brakes

Submitted by Stummel a Cross-Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Strengths:
    Low rolling resistance
    Good tyre on dry and wet terrain

Weaknesses:
    If there is to much mud there gonna slip

Bottom Line:
    A good tyre if it's used in dry and not too muddy terrain. Low rolling resistance

XC

michelin wildgripper

GT talera with Rock Shox Indy SL 98 front suspension

Submitted by Scott a cross-country rider from Orange County, Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires are very fast and provide good climbing traction. They are a good racing tire for most courses. They would be ideal in tacky terrain, like in No. Cal. or some East Coast areas. Just keep in mind that they aren't necessarily ideal for training or all around riding. They have 0 bite or cornering grip when descending on hardpack with loose dirt, which is the case in most of So. Cal. I was also surprised at hoe heavy they are, especially for 1.85's.

Submitted by Ove Rekstad a cross-country rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have bought the Tiogas and are very satisfied. They rolling quality is good.
    What i like best is the overall usage og the tire. I ride them everywhere and has not been disappointed. Of course they are not as good as tires whith large knobs in the mud, but i don't care, they are doing the job.

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from Missoula MT

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the XC Slick for the rear of my GT hardtail and love it. It performs great on the hardpack sections but when attempting some climbs I found myself spining. What I did to help fix this was to deflate it from say 65pound's of pressure to 45lbs. This worked well and is what I now do when I ride certain places. I dont think that I would run this tire on the front end, my WTB raptor has that job.

Submitted by Raging Richy a weekend warrior from Antwerp

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

Nice tires, came on my '99 Scott Comp Racing. They looked quite capable of dealing mud, but they didn't. The first pool was enough to make me kiss up with mother earth. Big downer, she stinks when she's wet!
    O yes, they work fine when circumstances are dry and flat, but that is not what I bought my bike for! (I'll buy the old 2.1 Banzais again..cheap and real mud masters) Why do manufactures put slicks on MTB's? I hate compromises!