Home | Reviews | Tire | Tioga

Tioga Blue Dragon Tire

3.15/5 (33 Reviews)

The Blue dragons feature the new High Energy Rubber compound which lowers rolling resistance and extends tread life. The circular based knobs transition into squares with slits that allow deforming for better grip. The Cylex 127tpi casing help keep it superlight weight.

Submitted by rhythmtech a Weekend Warrior from St Louis, MO USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    Price, mud clearance, not super heavy for being a fat 2.3 tire. Great for fall leaves over dirt.

Weaknesses:    The rubber compound is kind of bouncy like you would expect from a rubber ball so watching pressure more closely is necessary. loose rock trails with baseball, golf ball, and monkey head sized rocks is less than ideal. Wet rock is scary.

Bottom Line:
I rode these tires on a recent trip to Chattanooga TN and northern GA (Ellijay). They were quite possibly the best tire to have chosen for the leaf covered smooth quick single track found in both of these areas. The hard knobs poked through the leaves and added a huge margin of confidence to my riding over leaf cover. Back home in St Louis, I found them to be a little disappointing on the mixed crushed rock trails. They were okay with some speed over monkey heads and limestone slabs, but the knobs broke free somewhat less predictably than I would like.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim and Pinhoti 3

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, Bontrager Jones, many others...

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Fuel EX9

Submitted by OKI790 a Weekend Warrior from Cardiff

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    wraps around the small stuff nicely without rebounding, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    wears down rapidly, slow roling, cant take solid hits without feeling like its gonna pinch flat, squirms and feels like its going to wash out when cornering.

Bottom Line:
read lots of good stuff about this tyre which is why i bought it, it was rated very well for rolling speed and handling on wet stuff.
after 5-6 months of using it ive never felt comfortable with it.
it drags like hell on the flat stuff and saps the energy out of you even at high psi's, cannot take any hits without feeling like your about to dent your rim.
it does grip fairly well on the v.small slightly loose stuff but doesnt hook up well on anything solid and leaves you railed.
even on the loose stuff you cant turn/lean heavily as it twists on the rim and feels like its about to peel off (even though its seated very tight, it has that squash ball feel, perhaps it would perform better on wide rims).
the little grooves on each block of the tread wear off in next to no time as its soft compound (slow rebound)and the grooves are very shallow.

not sure why it got good reviews, for the price there are a lot nicer tyres out there (dragon on the sidewall looks cool tho).

basicly if your going downhill slowly on a smooth dry course and dont plan on turning or braking heavily it'll be ok,,for anything else theres better tyres for the price.

Favorite Trail:   castel coch routes

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycle

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   gary fisher cake 3, 31b, 4-5 inches front n back, xtr v-brakes, 9 speed setup with a 34t chainring, tyres currently are a panaracer cinder 2.25 on the rear and a halo choir master up front.

Submitted by inkling a Cross Country Rider from wellington

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Suprisingly fast rolling speed for a grippy tire. Good in the mud

Weaknesses:    none as yet

Bottom Line:
Pretty cheap tire, nice grip and suprisingly fast on the road. Good winter tire

Favorite Trail:   swigg

Purchased At:   penny farthing cycle

Similar Products Used:   Hutchison scorpions

Bike Setup:   Giant Alias 09

Submitted by Brazilian Rider a Weekend Warrior from Chapada dos Guimaraes - Brazil

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2009

Strengths:    light, cheap, rolling, good grip.

Weaknesses:    not flat resistant.

Bottom Line:
These tires turn and climb very well, yet they roll fast. They work fine even on wet downhill trails with mud and roots. I like jumps and drops but I like to pedal uphill too, so these tires help to keep my bike not too heavy (I save up to two pounds)yet I can keep up to my friends on their heavier bikes when downhill, and the Blue Dragons corner as well as their mignons! I know some tires (like maxxis mignon) are more resistant, but the blue dragons are light! Never had a pinch flat, even when droping 6 feet with as low as 35 psi, but I had several flats caused by small thorns. This may be because of the wrong tube size (small) I was using.
A lot of the complains you read are from people who ride it in the asfalt... these tires where not made for that.

Favorite Trail:   Orgasmic Hill

Purchased At:   stock on the bike

Bike Setup:   kona coiler 2005, marzocchi drop off 6", Tioga Blue Dragon on Sun Rims Single track.

Submitted by Liam Renaut a Weekend Warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
do NOT buy these tyres. That is all.

Favorite Trail:   Deanswood

Purchased At:   Sealy's

Similar Products Used:   K-RADS!!!!

Bike Setup:   2 Wheels, Frame, Forks... Pushy!!

Submitted by Brandon Faliszewski a Weekend Warrior from White Rock, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    Decent grip for the first 8 months or so, I've ridden them hard for a year and the front still has plenty of tread left

Weaknesses:    Super thin side walls, ridiculous amount of flats

Bottom Line:
This is a terrible tire no matter what you're doing because they're not great for dirt jumping becuase they have quite a bit of resistance, and they're terrible for downhilling/freeriding because as soon as you drop them down to 35 or 40 psi, they pinch the tube and cause flats. Even when I keep my tires at 60 psi, I still somehow manage to get a stupid amount of flats (7 or 8 in the past year), despite being careful about what I ride through. Overall, I do not suggest buying these tires and if they come stock on a bike you buy, I would suggest changing them unless you're ready for LOTS of flat tires.

Favorite Trail:   A-line

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minions (2.35 front and rear)

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona Stuff, Drop off 4, Hayes 9's, Box Guide

Submitted by Hui Chuen Chuang a Downhiller from Penang, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Slippery in rock garden, easily punctured, thread finish quite fast

Bottom Line:
Stupid tire. Slippery like a road tire in rock gardens and roots. After ridins in mud, your tire will have a 1cm carpet or mud on top. The tire is so thin and weak. Believe it or not, i get 3 flats in 2 days. just by accidentally riding over shattered glass on the road.

Favorite Trail:   Youth Park, Penang Hill, Mt. Erskine

Purchased At:   Friend sold to me in new condition.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis mobster, bontrager, minion

Bike Setup:   2003 Kona Stinky Primo frame, Rock shox Domain 318 fork, Truvativ Holzfeller crank, Fox Vanilla R rear shock, Shimano 105 rear derailleur.

Submitted by Jason B a Weekend Warrior from Centreville, VA USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Tire holds traction on steep climbs and crazy descents and they seem to corner well.

Weaknesses:    None to date, I haven't tried them in the mud yet.

Bottom Line:
I use to swear by the WTB tires and when my new bike came with these tires I almost took them off the same day. I'm glad I didn't, on the second trip I took them to Fountainhead which is very technical single track that has some steep climbs and descents and they performed like nothing I've ever used before.
I gave these tires everything I had and they took it and asked for more!

Like I said I haven't been able to test them in the mud but in dry trail use I think they are great.

I hear complaints on the tread life not lasting too long but I haven't noticed any wear yet but I've stayed off road.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB VelociRaptors

Bike Setup:   2006 GT i-Drive 3 5.0

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Barnsley, UK

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight and tough as old boots - not a single puncture in a year of riding 1-2 times a week!

Weaknesses:    None so to speak - maybe expensive to replace.

Bottom Line:
Lightweight and tough as old boots - not a single puncture in a year of riding 1-2 times a week! Only just starting to skid a little too much on uphill climbs but after a year what do you expect. Very fast riding tyre.

Favorite Trail:   Grizedale

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   GT idrive 5 1.0

Submitted by R. Kelley a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Strengths:    Great in the mud, it sheds right off, soft rubber soaks up the bumps, good grip in the corners.

Weaknesses:    Soft rubber wears down quickly when ridden on the road, a little heavy for an XC tire.

Bottom Line:
After 18 years of mountain biking I've found this to be the best tire for the riding I do. I ride year round in the rainy Pacific Northwest so performance in mud is the first thing I look for in a tire. I ride a rigid fork so I want a lot of shock absorption in a front tire. I run a 2.3 in the front and a 2.1 in the back.
I would not call this a great all around tire. If you want a tire you can ride to the trailhead or coffeshop or if you mainly ride hardpacked or slickrock or dry and loose trails then this tire is not for you. If you have the luxury of driving to the trailhead and ride a lot of muddy, wet, steep trails and aren't too worried about weight then I would highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Mackenzie River

Purchased At:   the Ebays

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, Panaracer Smoke and Dart, various Continentals, Various Specializeds, Onza Porcupine, Maxxis Larsen TT, etc.

Bike Setup:   Independent Fabrications single speed with a Vanilla rigid fork.

Submitted by Devin a Downhiller from Vancouver Canada

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2007

Strengths:    Grippy in the dirt and they look pretty good.

Weaknesses:    tread wears down really quick even if you dont skid. You cant pump them up too much.

Bottom Line:
I would recomend this tire only if you ride in dirt. IF you ride skate parks and stuff like that dont buy em. THE TREAD WEARS DOWN WAY TO QUICK??????????

Bike Setup:   06 kona scrap

Submitted by adam phelps a Downhiller from calagry alberta canada

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    there arnt many strengths with this tire.

Weaknesses:    side walls are really thin and tread doesnt last more then a month

Bottom Line:
if u ride ur bike ALOT then you may not want to have this tire because it doesnt last long at all.

Favorite Trail:   mainline

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   .

Bike Setup:   kona stuff

Submitted by James Thew a Cross Country Rider from Manchester

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    The tyre looks the part, great grip off road and nice handling

Weaknesses:    I've had the tyres now for 5 days and ive already ran them down/worn them out (Theres no nobily bits in the middle anymore), to get to were i want to go i have to ride the road and this is what i think has killed these. These were on my new bike so i think i need to get something around the middle, Just looking at the price of these tyres makes me wish that i'ld sold them on ebay and put some cheeper ones on.

Bottom Line:
Great tyres for offroad, use them on the road and you'ld be lucky if they last you till the end of the weak. Skinted my slef buying the bike ...and now need new tyres :(

Purchased At:   Winstanleys

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche-Exper 2006

Submitted by James Colwell a Weekend Warrior from Bowden, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Strengths:    good in loose dirt and on dirtjumps

Weaknesses:    wears out if used on pavement too much

Bottom Line:
i would buy this tire again any day

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Bowcycle, Calgary

Similar Products Used:   specailized, maxxis

Bike Setup:   Kona Paskapoo

Submitted by Wayne a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    Large 2.1 and light at 600 Grams. Very nice round profile.
No rocks in your face on fast down hills.
Easy to remove off rim.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find!

Bottom Line:
Tioga Blue Dragon – The best tire that I have used on a mountain bike. They wear well! Almost no flats. Very large 2.1 and light at 600 grams. Great flotation over sand and loose stuff. I’m a Colorado Springs front range rider. We have plenty of loose decomposed granite on our trails. The Blue Dragon is becoming hard find and purchase. I don’t know what tire that I can purchase that is better for the riding that I do. This tire is the best mountain bike tire that I have ever used. If you know of a better tire that is 600 grams let me know.

Favorite Trail:   Rampart Reservoir

Purchased At:   Jensen/Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Explorer, Panaracer Trail Blazer, Specialized Tires and others. I can't remember them all.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Tioga Blue Dragon 2.3 at Cambria for $14

The sidewall finally blew out on one of my beloved WTB Weirwolf Race 2.5's, and I just don't have the budget for a new pair of those beauties. So, in trolling the discount sites, I found the Blue Dragon's at CBO for $14. That's about as cheap as you'll find a mtb tire, so I was pretty much sold ri ... Read More »

Tioga Blue Dragon

Substantial weight savings claimed w/these, (2.3=600gm/2.5=700gm) but, durable enough for "all mtn" type riding?Read More »

Tioga Blue Dragon UST?

Anyone know where I can source Tioga Blue Dragon UST tires, pref. a 2.3f/2.1r combo? Thanks, MDRead More »

Is the Tioga Blue Dragon directional?

The knobs in the center of the tread have more of a ramp on one side than the other, but I can't find any directional arrows or other indication of the result of mounting them one way or the other. Just wondering what, if any, difference this would make?Read More »

Blue Dragon vs. Vertical Pro?

Any comments/experience with these? I'm interested in a plush XC front tire for mostly dry California singletrack & hardpack (some gravel?) Rolling resistance, cornering, braking, traction? What about size? The vert pros are nowhere near 2.3 Any comments welcome. Thanks!Read More »