Specialized The Captain S-Captain 2Bliss Tire

• 2Bliss
  • Butyl wrapped bead

Submitted by Andre a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Nice profile and lug pattern. Decent grip in mixed conditions.

Weaknesses:    LEAKING SIDEWALLS!

Bottom Line:
I really don't understand how a tire with such permeable sidewalls can be marketed as 'tubeless'. These things leak like sieves where there is raised lettering on the sidewall. The should change the designator from '2BLISS' to 'TRUPISS'.

Submitted by frdfandc a Cross Country Rider from Elkton, Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    These are pretty fast due to the close center tread, but grip well in turns due to the larger spaced side knobs.

Weaknesses:    Working in a LBS that doesn't sell Specialized, not used to paying retail prices.

Bottom Line:
These are a pretty good all around tire for most conditions that I ride. Loose over hardpack and straight hardpack they perform very good. Not the fastest, but pretty good. Not for mud. You would need a dedicated mud tire.

I ran these for almost a year, including an XC race season

I'm going to give them a 4 for the over all rating, because I have only used one other tire on the bike - Geax Barro Race - not even close in comparison to these.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill

Purchased At:   Brandywine Cyclery -

Bike Setup:   Fuji Tahoe 29er 2x9, w/2010 Manitou Minute fork

Submitted by marzjennings a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight and pretty fast in a straight line.

Weaknesses:    Zero, zip, no grip in corners.

Bottom Line:
Didn't know anything about these tyres and in building my first 29er I thought I'd give them a go. Initially they felt fine, holding the trail well as I got used to the new bike. But as soon as I started to get comfortable with the 29er wheels and trying to hold more speed through the corners they couldn't take it. Currently conditions are dry, but not dusty, great conditions where I can usually rail every corner. Just not with these tyres. I varied tyre pressure, but it didn't seem to help.

I going to try out some Maxxis Aspen's next.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Purchased At:   WestEndBicycles

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Banshee Paradox 29er

Submitted by JRD64 a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    Couldn't Say

Weaknesses:    Skinny sidewall made them useless for me

Bottom Line:
These tyres came with the bike from the shop floor. Brand new, and somehow the sidewall was pierced in the first 10k of riding without even hitting the trail. Fortunately I was only a couple of k's from my local bike shop. After stripping the tyre off the rim, and seeing how thin the sidewalls are, I'm not sure where the hell you would ride where these tyres would be considered to be appropriate. I just replaced both the pierced one and the front one - I doubt I would even keep these as spares. I have no affinity for any other brands - this is a first time ride experience.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mtns

Purchased At:   Las Vegas

Similar Products Used:   Maxis UST Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Expert

Submitted by Luijo a Downhiller from Cabo Rojo,PR

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls Fast

Weaknesses:    Walls are to weak

Bottom Line:
I found it to be a good all around tire,cornering in dry terrain decently good. Very fast. Not so bad a grip.

Favorite Trail:   EL Laberinto

Purchased At:   Wheel Shop

Similar Products Used:   Maxis Cross

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6

Submitted by tjschatt a Weekend Warrior from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip & control, Rolls with little resistance

Weaknesses:    Sidewall is extremly weak, blows out under normal riding load.

Bottom Line:
I will never purchase these tire again, I thought since they were expensive ang got good reviews they would last, but they did not. The sidewall blew out on a fire trail riding mild.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta Park

Purchased At:   Big Wheel cycle

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, kenda nevegals

Bike Setup:   Trek ex-8

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Good traction and overall ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall blowouts.

Bottom Line:
These tires ride great but blow out at the sidewalls after a few months of riding. This happened with both front and rear on my bike. A friend has also had the same problem with Specialized 2Bliss tires. They went too light in the sidewall.

Favorite Trail:   Green's Lick

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Maxxis, Continental, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8

Submitted by aussieidiot a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, good grip, fast on hardpack

Weaknesses:    the side walls. see below for a full explanation

Bottom Line:
I figured these tyres would be good since they are the S-Works variety and 2Bliss as well.

They had worked well for 6 months before I had a blowout on the rear and figured I had scraped a rock and caused the tyre to bulge and blow. I repaired the tyre since it still had 75% tread left.
Then the front blew out while the bike was resting prior to riding. On closer inspection the sidewalls were showing canvas in many spots. I chose not to ride on those tyres and when I pulled them off, I had many spots where the canvas was about to open up.
I did not replace the tyres with the same kind, given the price and how weak they are.

Pulled mad skids to wear them out though. :)

Favorite Trail:   The Oaks.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing note worthy. (Hutchinson Scorpions)

Bike Setup:   2009 Stumpjumper Comp, DT-Swiss 420 wheelset.

These tyres were original equipment

Submitted by Tzvia a Weekend Warrior from Woodland Hills CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight. I have only used them in back (running an Eskar up front) and find they grab well on climbs on loose over hard and hardpack. Rolling resistance is low, and converting to tubeless makes them even better.

Weaknesses:    Yes, yes, thin sidewalls. This is not an armadillo tire. This is not a gonzo tank tire. This is not a DH tire. Gash the sidewall on those sharp rock gardens and drops? Say oops I bought the wrong tire and move on. I ride XC/trail; don't do drops, and our rock gardens are not sharp basaltic glass and broken granite that can slice a thicker tire in a blink. It's more sandstone, loose over hard, roots and rounded rocks.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a good XC/Trail rear tire, not UST heavy, this tire comes in 3 versions and 2 sizes.
S-Works- lightest weight-but understand THIN SIDEWALLS. You don't get something for nothing.
Control- maybe 60gr heavier, thicker sidewalls may be a better choice depending on conditions.
Armadillo- heavier, flat protection.

Choose correctly and enjoy a very good rear tire for general trail use. While I haven't yet used them up front (running the Eskar and love it) I plan to get the 2.2 at some point but for now, am using the 2.0 S-Works in the back only. They corner great and don't feel skittish in loose over hard and never feel like they are about to break loose. When they wear out, I will buy the Controls even though I have not had an issue with the S-Works. They have low rolling resistance and good bite, and get even better tubeless. Only 4 chilis as I do worry about the sidewalls.

Favorite Trail:   anything Sedona/Flag/Bend

Similar Products Used:   Spec Eskar, Nevegal, tioga, shortbocks, WTB Wolverines and Weirwolfs.

Bike Setup:   Spec S-Works Safire. Roval SL and Alex Scandium PureXCR wheelset converted to tubeless.

Submitted by Sykleguten a Weekend Warrior from Jørpeland, Norge

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hey Guys! Your reviews are worthless unless you say what type of model you`re riding. The S-works is of course a race tire and therefore shall be treated like one. If one, like me, is going to ride rocky, rooty, wet xc trails, then the control model is the right one. Buy the tire that suits your riding style and write your review from there.

Favorite Trail:   Uzis

Purchased At:   Magneten Ålgård

Submitted by yep a Cross Country Rider from La Crescenta

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    hooks up really well

Weaknesses:    sidewalls are weak

Bottom Line:
i ripped the sidewall open while riding down a semi rocky fireroad. the tire should have held up, it being an s-works model and all.

Purchased At:   Bear Valley Bikes

Similar Products Used:   first set of XC tires

Bike Setup:   09 stumpjumper

Submitted by richL a Racer from Salsibury, Wilts, UK

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    Look nice, light

Weaknesses:    HOWEVER, could I get these to seal - no way!!! Despite half a pint of Stan's swishing around inside (defeats the original weight saving?) these tyres refused to seal. Indeed, on first look in the bath, loads of bubbles leaking from the sidewalls, then as more Stan's added, that leaking out too. 2-Bliss? I don't think so...

Bottom Line:
I really hoped these would be good; the price was competitive, weight good and I'd used Specialized bits before with no probs. How wrong; three consecutive evenings before a race my tyres are going down overnight - and no matter how much Stan's was injected. Now, I could have turned this into a project but hey, you pay the cash and things are supposed to do what they say on the tin..aren't they? Cursory chat at a local bike shop revealed that plenty of others had the same problem and sent them back to Ned O and the boys. Guess where mine are going...! These might work for someone else but I just don't have the time or patience. Oh, and btw, they never made it to a trail so I can't comment.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Similar Products Used:   Conti Race King, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Kone Kula Deluxe, XTR all round, Mavic X-Trails and now Maxxis Monorails F&R

Submitted by 92gli a Weekend Warrior from west chester, pa

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Very light. rolls fast. Great grip on tacky soil.

Weaknesses:    Thin casing, easily punctured by thorns.

Bottom Line:
I was going to replace these tires as soon as I got my stumpy after reading all the accounts of ripped sidewalls and punctures. But I have been falling in love with how these have performed on the tacky, late-spring pennsylvania singletrack I ride. There also aren't that many full tread tires out there as light as these.
I'll have to see how they work when the trails get drier in late summer, then maybe it will be back to the panaracer fires.
2 punctures so far - 1 thorn and one piece of glass. The glass puncture happened in a trail parking lot area so I don't really count that.

Favorite Trail:   wissahickon