Specialized The Captain Control 2Bliss Tire

• 2Bliss
  • Butyl wrapped bead

Submitted by Rolf a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2014

Strengths:    Tire beaded right up, rolls well, hooks up well, good traction

Weaknesses:    First thing I noticed is the tire is really tall, it jacked up the rear of my bike about 1/2 inch compared to the Bontrager 2.3 XR3 I typically run, also the tire is really harsh on a hard tail, really need to work to figure out the best air pressure as at 30 the carcass was way to stiff, I bleed it down to around 25 pounds and the sidewalls roll so there is a fine line of where to set the air pressure.

Bottom Line:
I won this tire at a MTB race, just trying it out now, I need to keep messing with the air pressure to try and get the tire to work correctly, still nut used to how tall the tire is, bike jacked up in the rear changed entire geomitry of bike.

Favorite Trail:   State College PA rock gardens

Duration Product Used:   35 miles

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf 2.3 (great tire but dis continued)
Bontrager XR3 Pro - great tire.

Bike Setup:   Currently 2012 Fisher Superfly Carbon hardtail

Submitted by Soundtallica

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2014

Strengths:    They roll fast, are lightweight, look good, wear well, hold air well while tubeless, and are durable. Good braking/climbing traction. They corner well in most conditions and are super predictable when they lose traction and drift.

Weaknesses:    Maybe it's my lousy cornering skills, but they don't corner well on loose over hardpack.

Bottom Line:
A very decent tire. They do everything well and roll fast. They are also one of the most predictable drifting tires I've ever ridden, they lose grip in a very controlled manner and are easy to rein back in. My only beef with this tire is that it has very little grip on loose over hardpack (think unpaved pedestrian/multiuse path) for some reason, even though they corner brilliantly on any other surface, but at least it still loses grip in its predictable manner.

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to mount and air up. Fast on hardpack.

Weaknesses:    Damp sand? Forget it. Traction is GONE.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden on these tires for 9 months, and I am just finally tired of getting dumped off the bike when they lose traction. I ride sandy Florida trails, and when the trails get wet, these tires pack up badly with damp sugar sand and turn into slicks. I am pretty sure its because of the single line of tread blocks on the center, there just isn't anything to get a bite with. Any damp sand causes them to break lose. Climbs and logs that were nothing on my old tires are cause for terror on these tires. The tires just stop gripping when they shouldn't be stopping. Ordered some Schwalbes, can't wait to get these crap tires off my bike. When the trail is dry and packed down, these things fly, but get that sand wet, and HOLD ON.

Submitted by giantnorco

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    works great all around did some after down pour riding and they performed awesome, dry weather even better use as rear tire with a purgatory up front on my yeti 575

Weaknesses:    could be lighter for a 2.0 wide tire

Bottom Line:
they work great and were super easy to run tubeless on my havens no leaks

Submitted by "Rod"

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastic grip in a large variety of conditions. They grip in mud, tacky soil, soft soil, rocky, loose, hardpack etc. I have used these all over the midwest and North Carolina without any complaints.
Durable
Predictable
Long lasting
Easy to setup tubeless add stan's sealant and you're ready to go

Weaknesses:    None these are my favorite tire to date

Bottom Line:
I have the Specialized Control 2 Blizz "The Captain" tires. They weigh roughly 600 grams in the 26 inch version and 650 grams in the 29 inch version. I have used these for over a year on a variety of trail surfaces. I have used them on sandstone and limestone rock, hardpack, leaves, wet, loose rocky trails, dusty, and mud. Long story short; these tires are extremely predictable, grip great, and fast rolling for a full knobby. They will hold a line and when you do drift across the surface it is very predictable. You can really lean on these tires and they will stick. These tires wear really well, hold up to abuse, seal up well, and I use them for everything except a back tire when racing. Buy them!

Submitted by Benuki

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    Cornering and climbing grip; roll well for amount of grip; holding up tubeless reall well (2bliss control version)

Weaknesses:    Occasionally seems to quickly roll through transition knobs

Bottom Line:
I've been pleasantly surprised by these tires. These are one of the best cornering tires I've ridden in the pine-needle covered hardpack typical for the trails in my area. Steep climbs over moist roots are handled with ease without any slippage. I have noticed that the front tire will sometimes briefly slide through the transition knobs when leaning through sharper turns, but the outer knobs quickly grab. Rolling resistance is quite good for such a grippy tire. I recently compare the captain back-to-back with the 2.4 x-king, and while the x-king did roll better, it wasn't by much. Braking is also quite good, and it handles the occasional soupy spots I've encountered on the trail really well. The Captain is good to very good for all of the main qualities of a MTB tire; its just a solid all-round tire.

Submitted by fongster a Cross Country Rider from OC CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2011

Strengths:    Good weight to performance ratio, corners well, rolls well, climbs well, sheds mud well. Good on hard and dry as well as damp and muddy.

Bottom Line:
I'm using The Captain as a 26" tubed front only. It delivers great balance of cornering, fast roll and weight. I started with a 2.2 but as a XC guy found it a bit too much contact patch and weight wise. The 2.2 is good for a XC rider who wants more cush and cornering security or an AM rider. I now run the 2.0 and like it much more for my style. It's plenty secure over rough and in corners and rolls fast--really well for a knobbier design. The 2.0 is XC all the way to me. I was using a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 prior and the 2.0 Captain gives me the extra cornering power. 2.2 for AM, 2.0 for XC.

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptor, Dart, Ground Control, Crossmark

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight with R XC kit.

Submitted by Veggiebenz a Weekend Warrior from Austin tx

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Weaknesses:    Chunks of tire are falling off after a month!

Bottom Line:
These are horrible. They are literally falling apart. The tires that came with my bike lasted two years but these are destroyed in a couple of weeks!

In three places the tread have peeled off showing a wiry inner layer, in chunks as big as half inch diameter.

I am not a super hardcore rider although there are a lot of rocks on my trails.

No more specialized 2bliss for me!

Favorite Trail:   So many to choose

Submitted by tom.moran a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    Decent aggressive tread design, fairly lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Side wall doesn't hold air

Bottom Line:
Grabbed these at the LBS to replace the GF's Maxxlites which were not enough of a tire for everyday use.
I spent 3 days trying to get them to hold air. I tried everything but they continued to leak air through the sidewalls. You couldn't go out for a 3 hour ride without stopping to refill.
The LBS made me feel like an idiot when I came into ask for a replacement. I went with the Renegade which held air from the get go.

Favorite Trail:   Camrocks

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Renegade

Bike Setup:   Santacruz Blur XC Carbon 26" Tubeless with Stans.

Submitted by proy a Weekend Warrior from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Had less than a week and rear tyre has a 1 inch tear

Bottom Line:
Has had three short trips got a quarter of a mile out heard a hiss and the rest is history.

Favorite Trail:   north yorkshire moors

Purchased At:   the bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Continental Diesel,Maxxis High Roller.

Bike Setup:   Specialised Rock Hopper comp

Submitted by Tzvia a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills CA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2011

Strengths:    Seem to be holding up well. Work well as front or rear tire. Not the best in sand but enough volume to float if you keep your speed constant. They corner well, feeling predictable till they start sliding and will hook up again if you let them. Not 'plodding' slow feeling as the Nevagals or Spec Eskar up front. They like to be spinned as opposed to torqued which is my style.

Weaknesses:    A little slow feeling on hardpack. The rear tends to slip if you torque it in loose sand, spin circles and you can finesse it if you keep the speed up.

Bottom Line:
The local trails are really variable, one moment you are in deep sand, the next in roots/rocks, then hardpack, then losse over hard, and I guess I am looking for a tire that can handle the variety. The Captains work ok to well. They feel a bit slow in the hard pack and can lose it in the deep sand unless you enter it at the right speed and just spin circles till you are out. They work well in loose over hard, loose rock and roots. The sidewalls sealed in a few minutes with a little shaking using Stans and I've had no punctures that the Stans couldn't handle. They have good volume and grip; I just bought a Tioga Psycho to try up front in 2.1, and they have less volume and look smaller than the Captain 2.0. I may end up swapping them around after I get some ride time in. The 2.2 works well up front - nice and predictable and less slow feeling then the Eskars. Unless the Tioga Psycho I just bought works out better, I will be sticking with them.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere near Bend OR

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Negavals, Tiogas, WTB Weirwolf and Wolverine, Eskars.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem w/xt, xtr. Spec S-W Safire w/XO/XTR. All tubeless.

Submitted by BaggiesOnly a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    Great cornering and overall traction. Braking power. Dual compound tread for control.

Weaknesses:    Price- wear out quicker than I would hope.

Bottom Line:
I wasn't sure about these tires when they came on my Rockhopper but after a few rides I realized the beauty that is THE CAPTAIN~! This tire handles everything that the trails of Northeast Ohio have thrown at them. From slick rocks to dry packed dirt, they are the best all around tire I have yet to use. I did pretty much tear up the rear in one season of riding some of the downhill,loose,rocky trails in Ohio and West Virginia.( Not to be forgotten : The braking power is quite impressive as well. )

I will continue to sing the praises of the Captain even though they cost a little more than I would care to spend.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Spider Air
Panaracer Fire XC Pro
Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper SL Pro 29er

Submitted by DSDuke a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    Corners well. Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Grip is very lacking.

Bottom Line:
I got this tire when I was on a trip to Sedona. I cut a sidewall on my Ardent on a fluke sharp rock and had to replace it to get through the remaining 2 days of my trip. This was the only 29er Tubeless 29er tire I could find.

The center tread pattern helps it to roll really well. As others have said, the aggressive side knobs help it to corner very well too. You can rail corners super fast with a lot of confidence.

That being said, railing corners makes for a VERY small percentage of what a trail tire needs to do. The others are roll well and hook up/provide good grip.

It does roll well, but the center tread that helps it do that also kill its grip. On hard pack (which is what I ride predominantly here in SoCal), you have to have the rear wheel weighted PERFECTLY to get good traction. It really sucks when I'm torquing on a steep, technical climb and the rear tire is spinning ENTIRE revolutions.

I know some of that is rider input, but I do not accept the blame here--this is the first tire I've used in 6+ years of riding that does this, and I've tried dozens of tires. When my riding style has not caused any other tire to perform like this, the blame lies with the tire, not me.

If you ride predominantly hard pack, look elsewhere--especially at this price!!

Similar Products Used:   Too many to count.

Bike Setup:   2010 RIP9.

Submitted by 92gli a Cross Country Rider from west chester, pa

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    First exposure to the captain was the s-works version that came on a stumpjumper I bought. Converted them to tubless and promptly tore the sidewalls in both of them. The control sidewall is a totally different animal. Way more durable and not too flexible, just right. The tread works great in all of the eastern PA conditions and seasons I ride in. They lock on to stans rims so easily, I can air them up with a floor pump no problem and they literally hold pressure better than tubes do. I'm currently running these on my full suspension 26" and my 29" hard tail. Love em.

Weaknesses:    The edge knobs wear pretty quickly. Thats about it.

Bottom Line:
I'm not a fan of some of the things specialized does with their bikes (had a bad experience with the "brain" shock) but they do two things extremely well - shoes and tires. I tell everybody in my area to buy these tires.

Similar Products Used:   Mountain kings, nevegals, knobby nics, ardents.

Submitted by Dennis Luz a Racer from Cloverdale,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    Very good wear, and great cornering on dry slick surfaces.

Weaknesses:    There are no weaknesses in my eyes.

Bottom Line:
Bottom lime is if you are riding wet conditions they work great, and if you are riding dry conditions they work great. Also with the center knowb it has when you are on fire roads or any kind of flat area, you will notice less drag than some of the other tires..

Favorite Trail:   Lake Sonoma loop