Specialized Team Control Armadillo Tire

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

High performance plus Armadillo flat protection for soft or loose conditions...and the riders who frequently find themselves in thorny situations.

Submitted by Shawn R a Weekend Warrior from Sauk Rapids

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    What can I say except these tires are damn near bullet proof. Before I got these tires I got a flat tire 90% of the times I rode. NO JOKE. My friends were calling me flat-man because I was a trail hazard magnet. Nails, thorns, glass, rocks, stumps. You name it, I've gotten a flat from it. But not with these tires. I just baught a new set today because my old set was starting to show their age after two years of riding. Still perfectly rideable. I'm just being proactive. Two years with not a single flat tire. I couldn't be more pleased. I also did some down hill riding and these tires provided good traction.

Weaknesses:    Tires are so stiff that they can be a hassle to change on the trail unless you have a durable tool. But you should never have to fix a flat on a trail.

Bottom Line:
If you are just sick and tired of fixing flat tires, then don't buy anything else. These tires have help up on lots of rocks, roots, stumps, and thorns. I think they provide good traction and handeling. These are the only tires I would consider putting on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fruita, CO

Purchased At:   Out-and-About Gear

Bike Setup:   Heavy XC and light DH.

Submitted by Russ Garrett a Cross Country Rider from Hoxie KS

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    No more flats, I cannot say enough good things about this tire. I Love Armadillo's.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, and a high rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
1.When a Goat Head enters a tire it is trapped and will continue to puncture until it is removed.
2.I have seen a Goat Head puncture the tire then puncture a URETHANE Liner, then puncture a slime tube, break off, and continue to push through the slime patch.
3.I was just about ready to give up riding because I could not complete a simple 6mile ride without a flat.
4.The Armadillo Tires don’t let the Goat Head enter the tire and stops this vicious cycle listed above.
5.The Armadillo tires are heavy but weight much less than a tire, urethane liner and a slime tube.
Bottom line: Whether you’re a City boy crushing glass or a Country boy pounding cactus, this is the tire for you!

Favorite Trail:   GoatHead Trail

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Continental Explorer Pro, IRC Kujo DH and all of the other tires that I only owned once.

Bike Setup:   M4 S Works with tires that never go flat!!

Submitted by Ed Scott a Cross Country Rider from Utopia TX US

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Strengths:    puncture proof, good control on loose surface

Weaknesses:    side knobs cause some instability in large rocks, some increase in weight.

Bottom Line:
I was about to give up riding crosscountry in the Texas badlands because mesquite and cactus thorns stopped me daily. You just can't avoid them here.

I tried slime, but these thorns stick in the tire and continue to squirm inside the slimed tube allowing messy leakage. I was actually considering airless tires, but the 'Dillos did the trick entirely... I still have the first pair of tubes in there, no slime, not one patch... never one single problem.

They are a tiny bit heavier, but compared to slime in the tube this is actually lighter by far!!! Good control, good wear, excellent rolling on pavement... dig right in for climbing traction. Only worries are going thru areas of larger irregular stones tends to give the front wheel some lateral kickout...

Premium marks for the specialized guys for saving my favorite passtime!!! I love busting thru the heavy brush and cedar out here chasing rabbits and deer... my dog actually sleeps with my bike because they're buddies! Anytime he hears the Shimano's clicking he comes running, jumping high with joy.

And oh yeah, I'm 62.

Favorite Trail:   local

Purchased At:   specialized.com

Bike Setup:   light crosscountry

Submitted by BIG MAC a Cross Country Rider from San Jose , Ca

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Strengths:    Smoothest big nobby I'v ever ridden on .Control just like its name implys .Digs into hard pack,loose stuff or pavment equily well .Low rolling resistance .

Weaknesses:    Mud sticks too it . They could be lighter .
The armadilo series isn't 2bliss yet .

Bottom Line:
Dear Specailized ,
Please make these 2bliss !
My daily ride takes me over some of California's finest pot holes,broken glass,sharp rocks,slimmy creeks,loose dirt and stones.
I can ride up a the side of 45 deg slope of hard pack clay and the side nobbies stick right in .
On pavment they will sing to you before letting go in a turn and brake away slowly ,very controlible .These tires seem to be unstoppible by anything but a wall .
Did I mention thorns ? No problems yet .
If it has a weak spot,mud sticks to it , don't have much of that here !
I'd like to try a set of Hemisphear Armadilos next just to see what they will do on the street.
I'm that impressed !
Make them 2bliss please

Favorite Trail:   Alum Rock Park

Purchased At:   Try City Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinsen Scorpions 2bliss ,IRC,Bontrager connections .

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Grand Marque .Street and trail.I'm running the front pattern on both ends for better control on pavment .

Submitted by SledgeFoot a Cross Country Rider from W LA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    - Less flat prone

Weaknesses:    - Heavy

Bottom Line:
After getting 3 flats on the stock tires in one week, I switched to these Armadillos and it's been flat free riding so far. They were on sale for $15 each and so I figured I had little to lose.

These tires are durable. My last set of tires were soft and knobs came off on rocky terrain, but these Armadillos are strong and all the knobs are still intact after months of rocky terrains, drops, and stairs. They are heavier than most tires, so factor that in if you are weight conscious.

They are rated for dry loose terrain. Where I ride, it's mostly gravel covered fire roads and these tires do a commendable job on loose terrain as promised. I ride these as my all purpose tires and they perform well on hardpacked surfaces as well.

The only terrain that can pose problems for these tires is mud. These tires do not shed mud very well with their tall knobs that are closely spaced. But luckly I live in a drive climate, so no worries.

I gladly accept the extra weight for the flat protection that these tires offer.

If you live near a Supergo, they have these clearance every so often for $15 each.

The front is 2.1 wide and the rear is 1.9 wide.

Favorite Trail:   Kenter Coaster

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSRxc

Submitted by Aaron Hudacky a Cross Country Rider from Tucson Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Almost flat proof, good braking traction, nice appearance.

Weaknesses:    Don't hold well in tightly banked turns.

Bottom Line:
I bought this tire as a set with the Team Master rear specific tire because I had been having endless flats caused by cactus thorns, and they eliminated the problem. I rode 1500 miles on these tires before they got one flat. This tire feels a little heavy but the gained flat resistance is worth the weight increase. The only disadvantage to such a tough rigid tire is that it isn't very flexible so it doesn't grip very well in turns, but again, the flat protection was worth the tradeoff. I'm trying a lighter tire next with tube liners, but I know this tire works so if you need flat protection you'll probably like the Team Control.

Purchased At:   Full Cycle Broadway/Country Club

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones AC, Specialized Team Master Armadillo

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 6500, stock except tires and Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Josh DeWeese a Weekend Warrior from Sandy Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    These tires have kick ass traction anywhere, they can take a bullet, and they look cool.

Weaknesses:    What weakness????? I wish they made it in a bigger size.

Bottom Line:
If you want to move and stop quickly, ride over cactus, and have money left over from not buying tubes get these. I have put 350 miles on my bike with them and have only got one flat..... a pinch flat!!!!

Purchased At:   specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardrocker's.

Bike Setup:   1999 Specialized Hardrock A1 Copm FS, Rock Shox Psylo KC forks, and upgraded componets and wheels.

Submitted by Nathan Durtschi a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    No flats! Great front tire with predictable drift. Holds up better than any tire I have ever used.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side for racing. But considering guys are riding 28+ pound sleds out on the trails the extra weight is no big deal in the real world. Plus you can run an ultra light tube like a salsa or torelli and not worry about flats (Puncture flats that is, pinch flatting can still occur if you don't inflate properly.)

Bottom Line:
I have had other team controlls and they have had some issues with falling apart, nobs coming off, etc. The armadillos show no signs of coming apart. In fact, they are holding up better than any other tire I have ever owned including WTB Velociraptors which I really like. They are like previous versions of the team controll in that the handling is great, no surprises. The drift controll is superb, that is, you never fill like they are going to all of a sudden slip out from underneath you in the middle of a turn. The bottom line though is that I have not had any flats this year since I got the armadillo set (controll and master). I have even raced these tires once this year in the expert class and even though they were a little heavy they performed admirably.

Favorite Trail:   John's