Specialized S-Works Ground Control 2Bliss Ready Tire

Submitted by colnago888 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, good sidewalls and air retention

Bottom Line:
I have been using these tires now on my Specialized Stumpy Evo through mixed terrain with lots of roots, rocks and short climbs. So far the tires have have performed very well. I have converted to tubeless from day one and found that the tires retained air well. I actually prefer these tires over the Schwalbe Evo Racing Ralph.

The tread pattern allows you to take corners with confidence. The sidewalls are quite a bit stronger than the Schwalbe EVO line. if you are looking for a high performance, lightweight tires, the S-Works line is worth the price.

Favorite Trail:   The Shed

Duration Product Used:   Three Months

Purchased At:   Fairhaven Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe RR EVO

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO

Submitted by ambassadorhawg a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very light weight, incredible grip. Rolls well. Seals up well for tubeless application.

Weaknesses:    None for my use. Not recommended for harsh trail features such as sharp rocks due to thin sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
Mounted a set of size 29X2.1 tires this past Summer. Set up tubeless with Stan's. Rides well in all XC type trail conditions of Southern California. Incredible grip! I have yet to slide out in turns or while pushing hard up very steep loose-over-hard pack terrain. Wears pretty slow for a soft compound. Rolls well. I have ridden these on many miles of pavement for a part of my local loop workout ride. Other brands wore out faster. Tracks fairly well through sand. Sticks very well on hard pack and over smooth rocks and smooth tree trunks. I like them so much that I recently bought a new pair to have ready since they can be hard to obtain at times.

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Purchased At:   Montrose Bike Shop,

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   2009 Pivot Mach 429, medium. Shimano XTR/XT drive train. Magura Marta SL brakes. Stan's ZTR Crest wheel set. Rockshox Reba SL fork, 115mm. Fox RP23 shock, 100mm.

Submitted by sevencyclist a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight. Low rolling resistance. Good cornering grip for the front. True to size.

Weaknesses:    Supposedly S-Works rubber is not as durable, however, I am using it for the front, so wear has been minimal.

Bottom Line:
This is my first foray into tubeless. I had Trail Head Cyclery set it up for me, and the air held pretty well. So far only needed to top off air twice in the past two months. The tire is very light weight, and inflated true to size for 2.3 on Stan Crest rim.

I am using it only for the front, and it has very low rolling resistance compared to WTB Weirwolf 2.1 or even the Maxxix High Roller in 2.1 size. The profile is rounded, so the contact patch pattern changes depending on the lean angle which help to grab without too much rolling resistance (at least according to their marketing bent). I expected it to slide a little on fast turns, but it never did. I was contemplating about getting the Purgatory initially, but glad that I did not get the more aggressive tread, since I do not need more than the Ground Control tread pattern to get a good hold for my weekend cross country/trail riding. I think this tread strikes a good balance between grip and rolling resistance.

I was able to ride in rocky and gravel trails which did not cause problem for this tire. I was initially afraid of getting cuts to the light weight casing of S-Work, but it has survived the rocky parts well, so I am now riding with confidence.

I am planning to convert my rear to the tubeless system as well, and probably will get either the 2.1 size Ground Control or 2.2 Fast-Trak. They will be similar in weight.

Favorite Trail:   Monte Bello, Skeggs, Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   Trail Head Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf, Maxxix High Rollers, Panaracer Firc XC Pro, Panaracer Cinder, Panaracer Dart, IRC Claw Comp, Hutchinson Barracuda.

Bike Setup:   Coconino Hardtail with Rohloff.

Submitted by Murman

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, roll well

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Rode these at BCBR on soggy roots, rocks and mud for a week. I was glad these were recommended, because I could ride what others were walking-both up and down. I was surprised how well they rolled as well. A set of Ralphs will roll a little better, but not much, and with much less grip. Highly recommended.