Specialized Roll X Armadillo Tire Tire

• Armadillo technology
  • Puncture resistance

Submitted by airs0ft3r a Weekend Warrior from Leesburg, Virginia

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    These are the best tires I've ever used. Grips are amazing. I can't stress how well it grips the stuff. Light. Refuses to go flat. I love these to death. Even more of a bonus, I got them real cheap for 18 bucks a pop. Just a great tire.

Weaknesses:    I can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
Awesome tires. See Product Strengths. No flats. I used to average one flat for every 60 miles. So far 230+ miles and not a single one.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Online Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Lots of tires

Bike Setup:   Speshy Enduro Comp

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    It is a very durable tire. I don't think I'll have to replace these anytime soon. I haven't gotten a flat yet.

Weaknesses:    It's a little on the heavy side. The worst part about this tire is it's inability to handle wet pavement. I've gone down a couple of times from stopping quickly on a wet decline. If you're riding on wet pavement don't try anything funny.

Bottom Line:
This is a good all around tire that won't give you many problems, except for wet pavement. This tire is good on corners. Is good in some light mud, sheds pretty quickly. It's good in the dirt of course. It has good traction on rocky climbs. I prefer a deeper tread, but would still recommend them to anyone who rides cross country or gets a lot of flats.

Favorite Trail:   Government Canyon

Purchased At:   Ride-A-Way Bike

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptors, the best all around tire.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher, hard tail, disc brakes, lock out fork.

Submitted by John Hunter a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Az. USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Extreme resistance to flats.

Bottom Line:
Following up on my previous review (immediately below), I finally got a flat on my Roll-x Armadillo tires after riding on them over desert trails for 8 months. Fantastic performance!

BTW, the puncture was tiny and the slime tube did not seal permanently - even after half a dozen pump-ups. This has happened several times before with slime tubes, so I'm going to take this opportunity to pan the Slime product. It does not work any more. They must have changed the formula because it used to work well but I have had repeated problems over the last several years. Don't buy them. They will waste your time when trying to bike home. Better to swap in a spare tube.

Purchased At:   Exhale bikes

Submitted by John Hunter a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Az. USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    Extreme resistance to punctures, Good traction on mtn trails, Non-knobby ride on road.

Weaknesses:    None, yet

Bottom Line:
Before I bought the Armadillo tires, I had been getting a flat every 1 - 2 weeks. Tried slime tubes, Stan's sealant, thick tubes, thin tubes, etc. Nothing worked for long. Trails around Phoenix are loaded with cactus thorns and I was getting desperate.

I switched to the Armadillos 5 months ago and have not had a single flat since! I don't know what the magic is. I bike just as often and take the exact same trails as I did when I was getting all those flats.

BTW, they have a knobby tread that works well for hilly dirt trails and does not feel at all "knobby" on the road. The bike handles better and is quicker thru turns with these tires.

I just hope that I have not jinxed myself by writing this good review.

Purchased At:   Exhale bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Pro Fast Track Dual Compound (previous tires)

Bike Setup:   Specialized StumpJumper M4 with SRAM X-9 rear derailleur and grip shifters

Submitted by Marquis a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Puncture resistance, good all-around tread design, stable and stiff.

Weaknesses:    They're a little heavy. Slippery on wet pavement.

Bottom Line:
If you want a tire that will stop the punctures, this is it. After many failed attempts (Slime liners, thick tubes, etc.) to stop the damn goat head thorns from flatting me practically every time out, I broke down and paid list price for these tires. It was worth it. No more flats. They're stiff and a little on the heavy side, but they handle very nicely on most surfaces. The one exception is on wet pavement, where they can slide out from under you pretty easily. So I won't ride on the street in the rain - I can live with that. Good product that does its job well.

Favorite Trail:   The one no one else rides

Purchased At:   Surf City Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC, various other Specialized, WTD, Hutchinson, etc.

Bike Setup:   Self-built hardtail

Submitted by Justin English a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    ran over glass, metal, no flats

Weaknesses:    kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
great tires, probably will put them on my GT, bit pricy, but I ride 10 miles both ways to work and I DON'T want a flat. haven't found a thicker tire that I'm confident in running over stuff with

Purchased At:   Lee's Cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Marc from Santa Fe NM Republica

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Strengths:    You will not get many flats, with these tires! Grips well in dry conditions. With the brown sidewalls, looks retro cool, especially on my SS Monocog! Reeeal old school look.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Feels like taffy on the street. Suck it up.

Bottom Line:
Hard to imagine a better all around tire. Feel like a horse's patoot because I already posted this under regular RollX heading, before I saw this heading.

Favorite Trail:   Lamy

Purchased At:   Specialized Website

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma 2.0's.

Bike Setup:   Stock Redline Monocog, except Surly rear hub with dual ACS claws freewheels.