Specialized Rockster S-Works Tire

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Designed with World Champion Marga Fullana to deliver a lightweight, low rolling resistance semi-knobby tire. Provides hardpack speed with corner bite.

Submitted by mike a Racer from edmonton alberta canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Strengths:    light and fast rolling, mold to the terrain well. never had any flats! never had the tire slip wile standing on a climb and cut open my knee(like with panaracer trail blaster)

Weaknesses:    loose dirt, slick mud, had a bad expirience on a wet wooden bridje but i dont think it was all the tires falt.and $$

Bottom Line:
i started using these tires half way through the race season. I should have started using them earlier. As soon as i put them on it was like taking a big 10 pounds off ur weels, And unmatched on technicle climbs. Last year at Canada cup final in fernie alpine resort, the coars was verry damp. I had the lead by about 25 seconds. On the final decent to the finish "holo hike" i hit a litte wood bridge at a bit of an angle. a combonation of a little too much front brake, slippery wet wood and inexpirience(and maby the tires) sent me off the side of the bridge and about 10 feet doun the embankment. But i used the tires to my advantage when on a short steep climb i accelerated to a 7 second gap which i held on to for my fris canada cup win.

Favorite Trail:   sulphur springs loop at bragg creek

Purchased At:   revolution cycle

Similar Products Used:   semi slick. panaracer fire

Bike Setup:   s works m4 disc, xtr/xt, crossrock wheels.

Submitted by Gavin McCulloch a Cross Country Rider from Nelson, NZ

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    Fast on road and hardpack. Exceptionally light.

Weaknesses:    Terrible cornering on all but the hardest surfaces. Awful in the wet. 'Squirm' badly under braking. Prone to punctures. Wear very quickly.

Bottom Line:
A very specific niche tyre - use only by light confident riders on dry hardpack, and watch out for wash-outs on the front. If you ride anything else or are a heavy rider, forget it, as they border on the dangerous.

** Note this is the '02 version, but I believe the '03 tyre is identical **

Purchased At:   came on '02 Specailized Stumpjumper Pro

Similar Products Used:   Many types of XC tyre...

Bike Setup:   '02 Stumpjumper Pro

Submitted by Nick a Racer from australia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
These tyres sucked! Yes they are the S-works version. They don't corner. I only ever used them on hard pack trails. They suck. Very thin side walls, pinch easily, meaning higher pressures have to be run, which means less grip. Don't jibber on about tubeless either. Screw my rim up even more. Any other tire in the world, even a bald $5 12inch on a 26 inch rim would handle better!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Northside

Similar Products Used:   Other light tyres

Bike Setup:   XC race

Submitted by Chris Bergmann a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ 85710

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    Felt very confident cornering on almost any terrain, except for loose rocky sections. Was suprized on how well it works in sand. Climbs with no slippage. Light and FAST!

Weaknesses:    Very limited tire life. Rear tire is completely bald after 2 months of riding. Couldn't mount UST tire without a compressor.

Bottom Line:
Will try a Rockster Pro for the rear due to the harder rubber compound, and leave the S-Works tire on the front for cornering. I avoided Slime for a while, but got tired of airing up my tires before I could ride it. After I dunked it and found 15 pin holes, I pulled out the Slime and haven't used my pump since. It was worth the 1/2 pound added to my sub 24 lb. bike, especially since I can't mount the tire at home (I don't own a compressor). If you race (like me), I recommend these tires. If you are married and have four kids (like me), you may want to find a longer lasting tire. $50.00 a tire adds up.

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Tr.

Purchased At:   OEM Tires from Oro Valley Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Michellin Wildgripper, Specialized Team Master/Control.

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized S-Works FSR.

Submitted by B Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Jenison, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    Holds up better than Specialized bikes. Seriously. I have broken 2 S-Works mtb frames, and both times Specialized wanted to charge me full wholesale to upgrade. I fell for it once. Second time around I just threw the frame away wrote it off as a loss. These tires actually hold up well for a racing tire.

Weaknesses:    Braking suffers a little, but that is the price you pay with nearly all fast rolling "race" tires.

Bottom Line:
These tires will serve someone well as a race tire under the right conditions. There are better all around tires out there, but his isn't meant to be an all-around tire. Now if I could only get someone from Specialized to email me regarding my former frame. Probably won't happen though, because they are a huge company that doesn't really care about the little guy (aka - individual consumer). I will post an update again soon letting everyone on MTBR know about how they handle frame warrany. Thanks.

Favorite Trail:   Egypt Valley

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Revolt Super-X, Conti Explorer Pro

Bike Setup:   After my second S-Works frame broke, and I discarded it because of the warranty charges, I bought a cheaper Klein Attitude Race. Added a Fox Float R fork. All XTR other than the Crossmax wheels, and Thomson Stem and Post.

Submitted by big al a Cross Country Rider from toronto canada

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    super fast on hardpack when pumped up,let out the air and ride some slick surfaces

Weaknesses:    make sure you take air out on a rough trail..or die. pricey if you pay retail.(70 bucks cdn.)

Bottom Line:
great if you are riding to the trail,.. deflate a bit and go.really cuts down rolling resistance on the road and predictable on the trail. i usually ride a pretty gnarly trail and except for super slick conditions i wil ride them . i weigh in at 165 lb. and on the trail i run them at48 - 50 lb. buy it if you want speed with enough gri to stay tough. tires used for 2 months-700 kms.

Favorite Trail:   "the don"