Specialized Resolution D2 Pro Tire Tire

2.71/5 (34 Reviews)

• Aramid Bead
  • Wide footprint
  • Super light weight and foldability
  • High durability and low rolling resistance

Submitted by yemajah a Cross Country Rider from Minden, NRW, Germany

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    good in mud, big

Weaknesses:    high rolling resistance, loud "screaming" sound on pavement

Bottom Line:
high rolling resistance an a screaming loud Sound. No fun to ride it on the street. But in mud it is good because it is to big. This tire is realy 2" wide. All the others are not.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Ground Control

Submitted by Maxwell a Weekend Warrior from North Charleston

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    Light, nibble, and responsive

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are a little too soft

Bottom Line:
Good tire, could use a little stiffer sidewall

Submitted by honda53rider a Cross Country Rider from Stanfield, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    As a front tire it performs well. You can really brake hard and not have to worry about it slipping over luws terrine. Also you can throw it around any turn and it holds its own. As a frunt tire is pritty good.

Weaknesses:    But the bike that I have came with the same tire in the rear. It breaks lewsey and slips on any up hill. Only good on hard packed smooth stuff.

Bottom Line:
For a front tire its ok but useless as a back tire.

Favorite Trail:   Keyoway

Purchased At:   Came on bike from sh

Similar Products Used:   I replaced the back tire with a Intense EX its a big upgrade.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from san mateo, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, grippy on hardpack and dry conditions. Pretty light. Climbs well.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewalls. Pinch flats a few times when really bombing and/or in rough terrain.

Bottom Line:
I like them, in general, but I've had some flats and noticed a handful of little sidewall tears on the rear. Time to think about something else?

Favorite Trail:   santa cruz

Purchased At:   mikes bikes (came on

Similar Products Used:   Mythos XC, Panaracer XC PRO, WTB race tires,

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpy Pro

Submitted by axel issel a Cross Country Rider from Lima Peru

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, grip, looks

Weaknesses:    lack of strength, mainly on the sides

Bottom Line:
I recommend this tire only of the terrain is not too aggressive,. I've cut the 2 tires in my first descend on rocky terrain, only having used them for 5 times in dirt.

Favorite Trail:   Pachacamac

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   none yet, I am moving to IRC trailbear

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper comp

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    The grip is pretty good.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewall.

Bottom Line:
Nope. Not a good tire. Once you slice the sidewall you're stranded unless you carry a spare tire. I've shredded two of these things in six months. I guess it would be OK on fire roads or you never drop through rock gardens.

Purchased At:   Passion

Similar Products Used:   Various WTB's

Bike Setup:   2004 Enduro Expert. Speedball, LP Composites bar ends, ODI lock ons.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2008

Strengths:    Great front directional tread. Rolls pretty fast. But still offers nice carving grip and braking. Light weight and huge air volume for it's size casing. Its a 2.0" but is sized 2.3".

Weaknesses:    Not really any if you use it for XC on trails, and not AM / drops.

Bottom Line:
I run the Resolution up front and replaced the back with the Captain 2.0". I didn't think there were any problems with the Resolution in the back. I just loved it in the front so much that I wanted to save my rear as a spare front for later on. As it turns out the captain is a better rear tire IMO.

The 2.0 Res has similar braking and grip to the 2.35 WTB Weirwolf up front, but none of the draw backs. Much better rolling resistance and not squirmy on hard pack, and it weights less.

Definitely a great tire for dry climates. Seems to work ok in soft spring trails, but really shines on hard pack dry trails. I would probably be looking at another tire if I were on humid forest trails with deep top soil.

Purchased At:   Came With Bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Cinders, Kenda Nevegals, Bontrager Jones ACX, Spesh Captains, WTB Weirwolfs.

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR Expert

Submitted by Jerome a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, CANADA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty light
Big volume for its size
Good directional knobs
Cheap

Weaknesses:    Could be even lighter

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Resolution Pro 2.0. I beg to differ with many comments below. I've owned different iterations of this tire (named Adrenaline at first and then Resolution) and have always been happy with their all-around performance. We have mainly technical trails here in Quebec (roots, rocks, ruts, muddy/soft soil, etc.) and this tire (as a front tire application) has always made me feel secure. It's pretty light (575 g for a 2.0), cheap, has big volume, efficient directional knobs that make the wheel go where it is pointe and is durable. I've never experienced any problems with the sidewalls, whereas I got sidewalls punctures and ripping with my Michelin tires and the «iceskating» problem described by another person here maybe related to an inadequate pressure rather than to the lack of traction of the tire itself. I've also been riding this tire as a rear tire on two demo bikes for a few hours on soft and muddy soil (november weather in Quebec can be pretty harsh) and was impressed with its holding and hugging the ground at around 32 psi. I keep buying this tire each year because it gives me entire satisfaction for what I use it for. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   La montagne des Roches, Charlesbourg

Purchased At:   ABC Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Used on my two bikes as a front tire :
04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert custom
07 Cannondale Caffeine custom

Submitted by Wideside66 from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
I forgot to mention on my previous review…
that due to the spacing of the knobs on the tire that goat head thorns fall in-between the knobs and cause punctures.
Maybe they are good tires if you don’t have goat heads in your area! Maybe they aren't the correct tire for the application in which I am using.

Submitted by Wideside66 a Weekend Warrior from Bay area

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    Wont hold air or stay inflated.
Throws gravel in my face. Ruined a $175 pair of shades that I had for over 3 years.

Bottom Line:
I have Kenda claws on my old bike with slime liners and only got 1 flat in about a year. Never had gravel showered in my face before.

I got a flat on my specialized pros, replaced the tube and put in a liner and got two flats on the next ride. I have ridden this spot over 50 times last year without getting a flat.

Maybee its just bad luck... but tubes are starting to cost more than new tires. Besides I dont care how much the tire weighs as long as it keeps rolling. Cant ride flats!

Purchased At:   With bike at Go Ride

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Claws

Bike Setup:   Specialized SJ Elite

Submitted by Joshua a Cross Country Rider from Kansas

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    fast rolling, good air volume, stick like epoxy on hardpack, gravel, and rocks

Weaknesses:    THIN SIDEWALLS!!! And Mud

Bottom Line:
I rode these while I was working as a camp counselor in colorado for the summer. I loved them on the dry hardpack and gravel of the trails and roads we went on with the kids. They roll fast, stick like glue, saved my butt once while I was bombing through a set of gravely washouts at a diagnal on a backroad...I thought for sure I was a gone'r, but these things stuck like epoxy to carbon fiber and pulled my sorry butt out of a would be painful crash. Buuuuuuuut, on the negative, I did pinch flat on the front (I only bought one, had it in the front with a Mythos XC (front one) in the back). I entered into a section where you ride down some stair steps, stop and pivot on a rock, then ride out of the section. I rode the stairs, while decending I came to the stop point of this, and my pack (a good 15 pounds, extra water, food, and med pack since I was a counselor) shifted forward, and with me already weighing in at 235 (6'2")it was enough to pinch it. I have only tried this tire on one ride in which it was wet. A hardpack trail that had recently been rained on. I didn't wipe out because of it, but then again I wasn't pushing hard. But for as open of a design as it is, it really packs up with mud. If you are a lighter rider, 180 and below, and ride in drier climates, go for this tire. I don't think you will be disappointed. 3 for value, cause I think there are better bangs for the buck out there, and 4 overall cause it needs some stiffer sidewalls for us heavier guys and it needs a wet weather performance revision. But saving my butt through the ruts keeps it still fairly high in my book!

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, Serfas gators, some random old school specialized tire that the knobs kept tearing off of in corners

Bike Setup:   Trek 930, Duke XC, Sram x9 all around

Submitted by striker a Weekend Warrior from Monterey, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent grip in all conditions. Smooth and light pedaling for its size.

Weaknesses:    Made by Specialized and will probably be gone because they believe in "change".

Bottom Line:
These tires are excellent....dunno what happened with the prior users on this page. I've pounded these guys for almost two years and never had an issue as far as dependability. The Resolutions are fast...smooth....and have excellent cornering grip. The key is running a low pressure 35 psi.

These tires do extremely well in all conditions....hard pack, loose hardpack, sand...and loam. I thought the Nevegals were the best, but these guys are smoother and faster and have as much if not more grip than those. Id strongly recommend these tires for those that want grip.....everywhere. The Resolutions also have a softer ride at low psi's for those without good suspension. Hope Specialized doesn't get rid of them.

Purchased At:   O.E.M.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals...Specialized Fast Traks...2.2 and 2.0 Kenda Kharmas....Kenda Blue Groove...etc..etc.

Bike Setup:   '06 Stumpjumper...Fox Floats...Cromaxxes

Submitted by Goldsbar from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Strengths:    Great cornering and climbing capabilities on dry hardpack. When the tire does come loose, it's easy to regain control.

Weaknesses:    Very weak sidewalls. Mud can be scary.

Bottom Line:
I'd expected that a 2.3" tire that came standard on a 6" travel bike would hold up well to rock gardens. I was wrong! A couple of rocky rides have shredded the rear tire. Longevity of the tread is fair at best.

On a more positive note, this is a great tire on dry hardpack. I'd suggest it if this is what you ride (though you probably wouldn't want a tire this wide...). If you're looking for an all-around tire, however, look elsewhere.