Specialized Nimbus Armadillo Tire

3.87/5 (38 Reviews)

Bead-to-bead flat protection for ATB commuters or street denizens.

Submitted by Brent Lee Bundy

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2014

Strengths:    I have bicycled across the country three times.I averaged a flat tire every 200 miles prior to putting Minibus tires on. The total distance I travel was 11,758 miles.I Bicycled 5000 miles flat free after putting Minibus tires on.One and third time across the country.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
in the future I will only use Nimbus tires.

Submitted by joeinchi

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    Nice looking tire, puncture resistance

Weaknesses:    Poorly designed, harsh ride, slow rolling

Bottom Line:
These were newly-mounted to a used Gary Fisher HT I bought through CL. Once home, I removed them and mounted them on my pavement bike, a '94 Marin rigid mtb. Until then, the Marin rode on Continental SportContacts, a very fast, supple, 26x1.6 slick.

The difference between the Armadillos and the SportContacts was night and day. The Armadillo's are stiff and feel heavy, even though they're only an a few ounces (50g) heavier than the Conti's. The heavy-duty puncture resistance also make for a relatively harsh ride. With a supple compound, you simply glide over road imperfections; the Armadillo's let you feel every little pebble.

This harshness also makes the Armadillo a poor off-road tire. While I would not expect such a tire to do well on technical trails, I did expect a fast, smooth ride on hard-packed bike paths--not the case. The overly stiff Armadillos are SLOW on bike trails and make you work much harder than you would with virtually any tire out there.

These are great tires for slow, urban commuting where puncture resistance is the ONLY concern. If you want speed and comfort, as well, I would definitely look for a different tire.

Submitted by Kate

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    They protect you from flats caused by road debris pretty well.

Weaknesses:    They are very difficult to out on when new. The side wall is not nearly as strong as the rest of the tire and that is where most of my problems have been. After about 3 months of riding for fun and commuting the side wall separated from the wire. It was under warranty so my bike shop replaced it. One month later the same thing happened. I'm not over inflating them and there is nothing wrong with my wheel that would cause this.

Bottom Line:
They do a good job of protecting from flats caused by road debris but the side walls seem weak which is where all my problems have been. It's very upsetting when you commute to work and find a flat waiting for you or take your bike out of the car for a weekend of riding with friends to find a flat caused by a blown sidewall. Overall I don't trust them anymore.

Submitted by edgar

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome, until they fall apart.

Weaknesses:    The tread comes off the tire.

Bottom Line:
About to go to the bike shop after having the rear tire replaced once already. Simply stated, the tread comes off the tire. I had the first tire for less than a month before this became a problem, and the replacement lasted just as long... going in to see if the warranty covers it, never buying these again.

Submitted by Alaskalarr a Cross Country Rider from Sioux Falls,S.D.

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2011

Strengths:    Rolls good. Never had flat. Rode my first set 6,000 miles and only changed because wore the tred through. Only tie I trust to not flat.

Weaknesses:    Next set the tred seperated on both tires. Called Specailized and they never said they have had that problem. Waiting to see it they will replace.

Bottom Line:
Love the tire but wont buy again if Specailized doesn't replace them. I ride them on packed gravel and pavement and they are great. Have to be careful in the rain on fast corners.

Favorite Trail:   Mickelson Trail

Purchased At:   On line

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 292+ 2001

Submitted by BikerJ a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    Rools Smooth and adds extra bump absortion.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Tire ply came apart

Bottom Line:
I loved these tires! Rolled over some rather large debris. Handled well in loose gravel and rain (for not haveing much tread). Problem with thes tires though, they fell apart. The two plys seperated. Maybe I got some from a bad batch, I don't know. Specialized is sending two brand new tires of my choice. I'm going to try the Infinity next. I am giving a low rating because they fell apart. I would rate them high on how they function though.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Guru with Sram Rival and Ksyrium wheels

Submitted by wozza62 a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    Great puncture resistance and durability. Top commuter tyre.

Weaknesses:    None that I have come across

Bottom Line:
Put on bike in March 2009 and covered over 6,500 kms since (now Jan 2010) with only three punctures, all from sizeable glass and wire. With previous tyres I was getting an average of a puncture per week. I ride in all weathers on road and on concrete paths and these have never let me down. Had to throw out the rear today after nearly two years of daily commuting as it started to delaminate, however the tread was wafer thin by this stage.
Fantastic tyres and will definitely be getting more as soon as the importer can get them in stock.

Purchased At:   Johnsonville Cycles,

Bike Setup:   Avanti MTB with Armadillo 26 x 1.50 tyres

Submitted by Kerry Hales a Cross Country Rider from Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    Durable as a rock. Great wear and tread life.

Weaknesses:    Hard as a rock. Can be tough to mount.

Bottom Line:
I am more than pleased with this product. The delamination issue that someone mentioned is a flaw that should be under warranty. I have well over 2000 miles on the rear of my recumbent and ZERO flats. Several goat heads pulled out, several shards of glass. One small nail. They certainly will not resist a 1/4 or better nail, but nothing would except a solid body tire.

Biggest con is how heavy these beasts are! They are also a beech to put on when new. Honestly, I do think the Marathon Plus is a better tire, but this one is nearly as good.

I can highly recommend this tire if you have bad luck with glass, nails and goat heads.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Continental Gator Skin

Bike Setup:   Rans Stratus XP with Velocity disc wheels. Avid Discs mechanical action. Armadillo on the rear and a Kenda Kaliente on the front (Original)

Submitted by Pistolero45 a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2010

Strengths:    I used these tires for just over a year for commuting back and forth to work on city streets. I rode over broken glass and every kind of debris you can imagine. Only had one flat in 2000 miles, and that was after the tires started coming apart.

Weaknesses:    After 2000 miles, the tires delaminated and had to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
I loved these tires right up until they fell apart. It looked like a poor bonding process during manufacturing. I think $100 was just too much money to pay for such short tire life.

Favorite Trail:   Katy Trail

Purchased At:   Local store

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Suburban

Submitted by bentrider1957 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    A very tough tire with almost bullet-proof characteristics. Good rolling resistance and a great tire for the road and maybe some packed gravel. Holds up to 80 Psi.

Weaknesses:    Heavy tire and VERY hard. Can be a bit rough handling on wet corners. I would not use these on a extreme dirt trail where max traction is desired. Specialized makes a Armadillo version with aggressive treads.

Bottom Line:
If you do a lot of commuting and want to arrive EVERY day without a tire issue, this is the tire to get. It does very well in many conditions and seems better suited for roads and packed gravel. Very durable and long-lasting but some issues with the sidewall delamination... something Specialized supposedly fixed. I have these on the recumbent over a year and ZERO flats!

Favorite Trail:   Miller Canyon

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shwalbe Marathon Racer

Bike Setup:   2009 Rans XP Stratus.

Submitted by andrews1536 a Weekend Warrior from cambridge UK

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    good looking tire, high grip i dont need to lean much to go around a corner, i havnt used them in the rain yet as it has not rained since i got them.

Weaknesses:    absoluty no grip at all off road (not really an offroad tire but i do sometimes cycle through muddy places with friends [ they got jump bikes])

Bottom Line:
i have only had them for 3 days now (i done about 5 miles on road and 500 feet off road)and they are great on road if you put high pressure on them (i got 75psi in the back and 70 on the front) there is almost no tire noise.
all the people that complain about these tires getting punctures are just unlucky because these arent guaranteed puncture resistant although i have rid over some glass with these tires and they are fine.
in a few months or so if i remeber i will update this review

Bike Setup:   2001 specialized hardrock comp hayes nine hydro (front) some v-brake on the back (cant have disc on the back) 04 marazotchi bomber mx comp shimano xt gears (front and back)

Submitted by rick a Weekend Warrior from livonia michigan

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    name brand everyone knows

Weaknesses:    you decide

Bottom Line:
June 09---I bought the nimbus armadillo in the 1.5 inch model to replace the cheap Kenda tires that came on my Raleigh Venture hybrid bike. The bike had 1.75 inch tires and they were nice and comfy but rather sluggish so I opted to trade up to a more premium tire to get things moving along faster knowing that I would be sacrificing a little comfort.

The sidewall suggested a pressure rating of 35 to 80 pounds so I set them up with 75 pounds. My initial impression after an hour of riding is that they roll along only slightly easier than the cheapo stock Kendas on pavement so to sum it up quickly, I was less than impressed.

The trade off between a little less rolling resistance and comfort was not worth it. Maybe they will be better at resisting flats than the cheap stock tires but If I had to do it over again I would not have spent the 66 bucks to get these tires.

I will leave them on mainly because I have 66 bucks invested in them and I am too lazy to go through the changeover again.

Favorite Trail:   the long way home

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Raleigh mens hybrid ( venture)

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Seattle/Everett, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    Exactly as advertised. Possibly the most durable tire ever built. Definitely Mil-Spec.

Weaknesses:    Weight - but only for the weight-weenies.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 250lbs., so I don't much care about tire weight. I also use Brooks saddles and I ride relatively heavy bikes, aggressively and for rides up to 70 miles a pop. Here in the Seattle area, the ground is often wet, even if it's not raining at the moment. So, you can't see the glass. Army's just don't care. After 9,000 miles on four different bikes, I have had only six flats. The culprits were: one sheetrock screw, one joist hanger nail, two hair-thin bits of radial car tire wire, and the last two were from worn-out rim tape which allowed a punctured tube (twice, before I discovered the problem). I run 1.5's on the MTB's with about a 10% over-inflation. Superb commuter qualities and very good touring attributes as well. I can dump pressure for fire roads and trails down to 35 in front and 50 in back for a nicer ride and decent grip on hardpack. I've tried the lighter "faster" tires with immediate poor results and flats. One brand I won't name flatted just by threatening to go for a ride. I'm too heavy and too aggressive. I will never stray from these tires again.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Centres/Ever

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Marathons

Bike Setup:   Two roadies and two old school MTB's.

Submitted by Mark Allen a Cross Country Rider from Roseville, CA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, smooth, dependable

Weaknesses:    Only goes to 60psi, which is sufficient, but more pressure might allow for less friction on harder surfaces. They are pretty heavy, but thats the trade off for the armor.

Bottom Line:
After riding on these a year on a 7 mile commute riddled with road debris and bullhead thorns I have yet to suffer one flat. I have even pulled bullheads out of the tread that I expected to require a patch and was pleasantly surprised. I count 12 I have removed so far.

Though I do wish they held more pressure so I could go faster easier, the peace of mind I have from the Armadillo lining combined with the ride quality, practically negates that issue.

By the way, the individual reviewing earlier (Lee from Berkeley) about them degrading on 80psi is filling them 20 too high. Read the sidewall, and its no wonder.

Similar Products Used:   This is the first 1.25w 26" slick I have owned.

Bike Setup:   Aluminum hardtail commuter with Deore XT group

Submitted by Lee from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    not sure

Weaknesses:    not nearly as tough as advertised

Bottom Line:
Based off the reviews below, I might have just gotten unlucky with a lemon. A normal small rectangular piece of glass went right through the tread and casing in under 200 miles.

Also, the tread started pulling away from the casing at 500 miles. It got too bad for my confidence around 600 miles, with flaps of the tread literally disconnected. Maybe the tire can't take 80psi with heavy riders on narrowish rims (Sun Mach IV & Sun CR-18)? I'm pretty sure the pressure gauge on my Pedro's pump is correct, but tread separation would seem to indicate over pressurization.

Regardless, a waste of $40.

Bike Setup:   hardtail commuter