Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tire

4.39/5 (28 Reviews)

Our highly durable, wide profile recreational tire with Armadillo puncture protection for trouble free commuting and touring in all weather and road conditions.

Submitted by Daily commuter

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Strengths:    Absolutely the best

Weaknesses:    None, weight is non-issue.

Bottom Line:
Have just replaced both tires. 30,000 kms on front, 17,000 kms on rear replaced with two more of the same. I cannot remember the last flat. Use them on my daily commute, over 200 km per week. These are the best if you hate flats.

Submitted by coop. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    none?

Weaknesses:    only 140 miles 4 flats lol,not impressed ,over priced?100 dollars wasted on 2 tires...

Bottom Line:
Not happy .....overated!

Favorite Trail:   ROAD-STREET

Purchased At:   REDLANDS CALIF....

Submitted by Migue Lott a Cross Country Rider from Lake Charles, LA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    bulletproof flat resistance! Ride nicely. They look as tough as they are.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side, Can be a little hard to mount depending on the rim.

Bottom Line:
I got these free as they were on a bike that came into the shop for trade in. It was an FSR with street tires, so off they came. They literally had no visible wear on them, as good as new. So far I have run over ALL kinds of road debris without so much as a single moment of worry. They plow right on through like nothing happened. The ride is great! Most flat resistant tires can have a dull, dead, heavy feel on the road. Not these. They're silky smooth. They can also handle hiher pressure than most 26 inch tires, so you can ride them firm with less drag. They can be a little noisy on very smooth pavement, but it's not near as bad as the mtb tire "angry hornet" hum. I would buy these tires again if they had kept the red sidewalls. I tend to ride older bikes, and I find blackwall tires ugly and cheap looking. This was the best looking skinwall street tire ever, my humble opinion of course.

Favorite Trail:   Sam Houston Jones State Park

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Pasela tour guard 26 x 1.5.

Bike Setup:   1984 Schwinn Sierra mtb set up as a touring/commuter. 2009 Specialized hard rock wheels(8 speed) Shimano Deore LX grey rear derailleur, Shimano 105 brake levers and bar end shifters. Honey Brooks B.17 saddle. Cinelli tan natural cork wrap. Yeah, it's a Surly LHT wannabe, but does everything I want it to, and more.

Submitted by John T. a Cross Country Rider from Madrid, Spain

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    As close to puncture-proof as I have ever seen. These tires ride over glass and other sharp objects that would flatten cheaper tires. Well worth the additional expense if you are tired of fixing flats.

Weaknesses:    They can feel a bit heavy when you first start riding on them, but you get used to it quickly when you realize that you have armor in your tires.

Bottom Line:
I use my bike to criss cross the city of Madrid all day and probably do in the neighborhood of 300 km per week. These are hands down the best tires I have ever owned! They withstand broken glass, nails and whatever else lurks at the roadside waiting to slash your tires. Madrid's streets and parks are plagued by little shards of broken glass, and I was in the habit of fixing flats literally dozens of times a year. I've been on these tires for about six months and have hardly even had to pump them up again. I can't even count the amount of time and money I have saved in repairs and lost work due to flats since a friend convinced me to order these tires. I highly recommend them for cycle commuting.

Favorite Trail:   All over Madrid

Purchased At:   Mammoth Mountain Bik

Similar Products Used:   Cheaper brands

Bike Setup:   Standard mountain bike

Submitted by danalo78 a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring, MD

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    I was getting flat tires on my original tires every couple of months. One time I even got a flat right after getting the tube replaced! I put these on and haven't looked back. They are tough and I've had no problems. After about 2000 miles I did just get a flat this AM. But I figure I got my use out of them and they have not had any issue up till this point

Bottom Line:
Buy it, you won't regret it!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   City Bikes DC

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Crosstrail Sport

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Geneva, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2007

Strengths:    BULLETPROOF! I started riding my hybrid approximately 3 months ago to get back into shape and lose weight. I started at 315lbs. And was getting flats once and sometimes twice a week, riding the local roadways around our small town in southern Alabama (ALOT of broken glass and road debris) I'm riding 15 miles a day now (Everday) and I'm down to 250lbs. I have 500 miles on these tires and not ONE flat!!!! That's incredible! You can't truly appreciate that, without being me. ;-) Anyhow the *NEW* Hemisphere is hard to beat... I don't believe I'll ever run any other tire. It was worth EVERY cent @ $37.00 each. I've had a roofing nail pierce the very outer edge of the tread and rode home without even knowing it was there.. Pulled it out and no damage. Brought home a thumb tack which merely squished/bent against the tread without penetration. Phenomenal!

Weaknesses:    NONE noted

Bottom Line:
The strongest, most reliable tire for a reasonable price! These tires WILL NOT leave you stranded on a ride. They will be ready for you on each and every ride. There's nothing worse than coming out for your daily ride and discovering a flat. Those days are gone!

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   First time using Kevlar tires. Tried using SLIME tubes with absolutely no luck.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Jubilee DLX.

Submitted by John from Jupiter, FL USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Strengths:    smooth ride on road

Weaknesses:    none that I know of

Bottom Line:
I've used these tires for over 3 years with no problems riding at least once a day often through brush, curbs, etc. not one puncture. I'm using the black wall EX tires

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works Carbon

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Saint Paul, MN USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    No flats for 4000 miles on either front or rear tire

Bottom Line:
I am an avid road cyclist who rides MB's because of a messed up back. I rarely ride off road, but I can tell you I've ridden through glass, over curbs, through brush, and I haven't had a problem with these tires in 4000 miles (2 years). Just now I noticed the sides are starting to split, so I am off to get two more soon.

Similar Products Used:   Cant remember

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M50, nothing special

Submitted by Paul W from Winchester

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    quiet on the road, hard wearing. about 2000miles on them and still well defined.

Weaknesses:    heavy. still get punctures. am changing to a pair of skinny conti's GP 26x1" which come recommended.

Bottom Line:
not worth the price. hard wearing, great for hard pack. not in my opinion an ideal commuting tyre. too wide, too prone to glass and thorns.

Favorite Trail:   South Downs

Purchased At:   45

Similar Products Used:   schwalbe city slickers

Bike Setup:   klein attitude (pre-trek) with rolf propel and xtr. z3 bombers with stiff springs

Submitted by david wiwierski a Weekend Warrior from winnipeg, manitoba, canada

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2005

Strengths:    flat resistant

Weaknesses:    sidewall failure

Bottom Line:
Purchased 1st specialized armadillo Hemisphere ex tire (red/orange sidewall) as replacement for worn front tire. Wanted a tire that was resistant to flats. I had heard about these Armadillos and purchased one from local bike shop in spring of 2004. In October 2004 I needed to replace my rear tire due to puncture so I replaced it with the same Specialized tire.

These tires are great as it concerns being punture proof or resistent to flats. However I recently noticed that the sidewall of my front tire (purchased in spring of 2004) had noticeable splits or tears running from the rim to the tread in more than one spot.
I then decided to look at my rear tire (purchased spring this year) to see if same problem existed. Noted that there were areas where splitting or cracking was in inital stages (not as visible as on front tire).

I contacted my local bike shop and was told that Specialized warranted their tires for one year. The fron t tire was in excess of one year and the rear was less than one year. In any event they told me that they would have to send the tires back to Specialized and it would be their decison if I was covered on the newer tire however I would have to pay a shipping and service fee about $20.

I then contacted Specialized and explained the problem, I virtually got the same response from them including reasons that might have caused this problem such as mis-aligned brake pads rubbing on sidewall etc.

I have decided to just replace these tires without further dealings with Specialized. In my view there appears to be a problem with the sidewall breaking down. Although these tires appear to be great in respect to being punture resisitant if they are going to breakdown at the sidewall within a year then what good are they? I can say that i have lost confidence in this particular product.

I put on anywhere from 4000 to 5000km from April to November on a yearly basis including using an indoor trainer in the winter. My tire pressures are kept at the appropriate levels consistently etc.

Purchased At:   $50 cdn

Similar Products Used:   continental travel contact, maxiss wormdrive

Bike Setup:   2003 devinci coyote

Submitted by Joseph Arechiga a Weekend Warrior from Sun Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    I commute 22 miles per day to work and back. On the days when the street cleaner would go by all the shrapnel on the street would be pointing up and puncture my old tires regularly. I've put about 300 miles on my Armadillo's and not a flat yet. I'm also heavy, 250 lbs., and they handle my weight with flying colors and grip well on dry and wet pavement. I wish I would have tried these years ago!!!

They were very easy to install as well. A little dishawashing detergent on the bead with water and I didn't even need tire irons.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I no longer drive around shrapnel, which sometimes would place me into traffic and danger, I go right through it without any worry whatsoever. Bullet proof tires!

Favorite Trail:   Commute to Work

Purchased At:   Specialized Web

Similar Products Used:   Other Kevlar tires but they punctured regularly.

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back mountain bike with my Armadillo tires.

Submitted by Erik W a Weekend Warrior from Aiea, HI

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    Unbelievable ride, flat-proof

Weaknesses:    price, but what else do you expect from Specialized and Kevlar

Bottom Line:
These make riding on roads a dream. Hold pressure extremely well, and hold their own over broken glass, thorns, road trash. stiff sidewall with moderately firm compound. Buddy and I swapped bikes for a ride, he had em, next day, so did I.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Stock tires

Bike Setup:   05 stumpjumper, Ritchey WCS Rizer OS

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Gold Coast, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    Grabs onto basically any surface(hardpack) as long as you have plenty of air in the tyres. Have never had one flat in a year.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get on and off the rims, this is probably due to the hard compound on the tread.

Bottom Line:
I have never used "slicks" on my bike as I am riding on approx. 90% road/pavement and 10% dirt. These tyres have never let go once and I am extremely confident in recommending these to anybody. Because of these being imported into Australia they cost me about the same price as 2 small car tyres, but you pay the price for quality and I cannot complain at all.

Similar Products Used:   Other tyres can't even compare to these puppies.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR 'Comp' 2000 Model.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Strengths:    Unbeleivable flat protection. Excellent speed, holds high pressure consistentally.

Weaknesses:    Pretty hefty price once imported to Australia (that's $60 USD PER TYRE). Of course it is a semi-slick, so it's no good for trails (but that's not really a weakness).

Bottom Line:
I ride about 200km a week, and I used to get 1 - 2 flat tyres per week with either WTB Primal Raptors or Specialized Roll X's.

Since I slapped these on, I haven't gotten a single flat - AT ALL and over a year since year has passed. I've ridden places where I KNOW I should get a flat tyre, and still no effect on their resilliance.

It may be pricey, but saving me 1/2 hour (times by...) and the hassle of fixing 1 - 2 flat tyres per week is invaluable.

Purchased At:   JT Cycles