Specialized Ground Control 2Bliss Ready Tire

4.06/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by Barryb Taylor

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2014

Strengths:    Grips well in most conditions, rolls and climbs excellent, read reviews of tearing side walls , I just got back from nw Washington tight single track I don't think I missed hitting anything on the trails with sidewalls absolutely no problem, great in hard pack, ok in to moderate inn really wet rainy conditions, good in loose ,great all around tire

Weaknesses:    my mountain biking skills

Bottom Line:
excellent tire for the money in my opion

Submitted by Mountainbikingviking a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to put on and easy to seal up.

Weaknesses:    Tears on any sharp surface.

Bottom Line:
I made the mistake of buying this tire twice, the second time while vacationing and riding in Virginia.I used it on the rear and both tires tore while riding in Ohio. The second time it tore within two days of purchase. Ohio is not known for rough single-track so if you live anywhere with rocks I would only suggest this tire if you need an excuse to get sealant all over yourself while you pop a tube in trailside...

Favorite Trail:   Tree Springs to Faulty Trail, 'Burque NM

Similar Products Used:   Rampage

Bike Setup:   Moots Mooto-X, Fox Fork, Speed Dreams custom wheels

Submitted by eran balint

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2014

Strengths:    good grip , fast , good mad shading
I bought them 2 month ago and have no puncher
I had many tires including this is the best tire I have ever had
my bike is santa cruz tall boy 2 and I use the tubeless version

Bottom Line:
5 star tire

Bike Setup:   santa cruz tall boy 2

Submitted by steg211 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, traction, weight, rolling resistance, tubeless setup.

Bottom Line:
Came stock on the rear of my 29" Stumpjumper Elite and I love this tire.
I've put 400 miles on it this summer and fall/winter. From hardpack to light mud and I've yet to think twice about it. I ride aggressively and steer with my rear brake alot. I like how predictable it is.
It does seem to have less volume than other 2.3" tires.
I usually run about 20psi.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Purgatory
Continental race king

Bike Setup:   Full suspension 29er

Submitted by Danno a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2013

Strengths:    S-Works 2.3" Ground Controls reviewed here - don't see a separate category for them. Best blend of high traction and low rolling resistance I've experienced in memory. Light weight for size - mine averaged 575g each for a pair.

Weaknesses:    Still not a true 2.3", but they are bigger than the 2.1" tires in my lineup so I can't complain.

Bottom Line:
I swap tires around for the changing conditions of seasons, to ride long or race, for new or different terrain, or just out of boredom. I was on a Kenda Blue Groove (front) + Nevegal (rear) kick for years. Great traction, but rolling resistance I could feel. Ran Maxxis Aspen 2.2 semi-slicks for a year. Fast and furious, but slickery as expected. Schwalbe Nobby Nics showed me that fast pedaling tires could have big knobs, but I was not happy with their cornering ability - tall side knobs would fold over and have me puckering. This year, I tried a pair of 2.3 S-Works GC's and have zero complaints. They are light, grippy, and roll fast both on and off road. My typical conditions are loose over hard and mega rock gardens. I've set many Strava PR's, which has me thinking I've lost nothing coming from semi-slicks or chunky Nevegals.

Favorite Trail:   Lawndale

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Purchased At:   NorCal Bike Sport

Similar Products Used:   See tires mentioned above

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 4 with XX, XTR, XT & Race Face. Chris King wheels.

Submitted by Chuch a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Great rear tire, weight savings, ease of mounting tubeless, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    lack of depth

Bottom Line:
Just bought a 2012 29 stumpy, LN, that came with the 29X2.1 GC on the rear. I've put in about 50 miles on it now and it is a rock solid tire. Some people may describe it as an "all arounder" but I think I would just say that it just does its job. It's one of those tires you just dont have to think about back there and I like that. It climbs well, breaks well, handles mud decently, hard pack, roots and sand....its a consistent tire. If I had to replace, I think I could use a little more size by going to the 2.3 that is now available. It rolls fast and grips awesomely well for its weight. I may go with it on the front once my Purg wears out since I think the Purg is a slight overkill for my terrain. I dont ride in loam or in mud very often. Most of our trails are HP, sand and roots. Dont hesitate to give it a try.

Favorite Trail:   Freedom Park, Williamsburg VA

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ranchero, WTB Wolverine

Bike Setup:   2012 29 Stumpy Comp

Submitted by fsr29erATX a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Better than some. Not horrible when functioning. Not that heavy. Tread appears like it should grip better than it does.

Weaknesses:    If you ride actual technical singletrack, you will rip your sidewall. Medium grip, not bad, not good. I don't trust it for corners at speed, feels skittish.

Bottom Line:
Last weekend I sliced the sidewall like it was paper on front tire 2.3 29er GC. This weekend I'm doing an xterra race on a course without any sharp rocks and the rear 2.1 opens a 1/2 inch slit. Ugh, Dnf, thanks specialized.. These came Oem on my camber Running tubeless and Stan's couldn't seal up a 1/2 inch cut... I did replace the front after previous weekend fail with a purgatory, now I'm worried that will also fail on me...I will say the purgatory has 2x the grip tho, liking it so far but obvious not trusting paper sidewalls. Rear will be replaced with ird fire xc 29er... The only tire that hasn't let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Waco

Purchased At:   Bss

Similar Products Used:   Sb8, panaracer fire xc 26er, ird fire xc 29er, purgatory 29, jones, smoke, dart, etc..

Bike Setup:   Camber 29er x9, Reba, etc

Submitted by Florijan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Brillilant all rounder, does almost everything great. Wonderful rolling and acceleration given the amount of grip it gives. Great grip both front and rear for XC / trail riding. Low weight. Nice price compared to the competition. Handles all types of weather well.

Weaknesses:    The stated 2.5 bar (35 PSI) minimum really *is* realistic, the sidewalls are too flexible to run the tire at lower pressures. Handles mud well, but not too well.

Bottom Line:
I switched to this tire because my Nobby Nic rear was wearing out too fast. I wanted a cheaper rear tire, so I got the GC Sport at first, the 2.3 width. I fell in love with it, fast! Grip was comparable to Nobby Nic, the nice volume gave good flotation, but the tire rolled and accelerated uphill more like Racing Ralph. Compared to another tire I was trying out at the time (Rubber Queen UST, 1150 grams!), the weight and acceleration was immensely better. I ran the Sport version tubeless with Joe's sealant, no problems, but required a compressor.

Then I figured I'd try the Control version up front, I like to have matching tires, and the price (EUR 30) is a lot nicer then Schwalbe's (EUR 50). The Control version actually came at below 600 grams, even though the official weight is 650, hats down to Specialized! Mounting the 2-Bliss-Ready was super easy with a floor pump. Then I rode it during the whole winter, and it was fine, but I decided to reserve judgment till dryer trails enable me to press the tire a bit harder... Well, spring came, started to ride it a lot more, and am now totally convinced in it. The tire rolls beautifully, the rounded profile works great on harder surfaces. Still, on dry trails it inspires confidence, putting some weight on it makes it hold well when cornering. All things considered, this is the best tire I ever rode, and at almost half the price of the competition!

Two minor issues make them not absolutely perfect for me. First, once the tire went off the rim when I had it inflated at around 1.8 bar. The stated min pressure is 2.5 bar, and I think that is reasonable. Most of the time I rode it at 2.0, and I think that will do 98% of the time, but if you start pushing it on a rocky, fast technical trail, you just might catch the wrong rock and experience an instant de-presurisation. Happened to me, will run them at 2.5 from now on, fairly high for a 2.3 tire, but the grip is still good. The other thing is that this tire will slide a bit when cornering in mud, the threads aren't that deep. It is not per se a mud tire. I still use it year-round and will continue to do so, but at that transition in spring when you start speeding up, but the trail is still occasionally muddy, well, I lost grip. Never fell though...

All in all, love it and it is by far the best tire I know. Add to it the pleasant price, and it's a no-brainer for me: I am sticking to it.

Favorite Trail:   Medvednica

Purchased At:   Protea Jaska, HR.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Smart Sam, Maxxis High Roller 2.1, Conti Rubber Queen.

Bike Setup:   Cotic Soul + Recon 351 coil, Fulcrum Red Metal 3 wheelset.

Submitted by slower_than_u a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Lots of grip across varying dry surfaces, loamy, sandy, leaf covered over hard. Inflated with a floor pump. 565 grams and 560 grams for the two I bought.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I am running the 26x2.3 S-works version on Stan's Flow Ex wheels with yellow tape and sealant. Lightweight, inflated with floor pump, held air very well right from day one. These tires have lots of grip in varying dry conditions. I haven't had a chance to ride them in wet conditions. I'm 215lbs with gear and was able to run 24psi rear and 21psi front thanks to the wide profile of the Flow Ex. I felt the rear squirm just in bit in hard g-out type turns but it never burped. That tells me I'm right on the lower limit for rear pressure. It's done nothing but rain here for the last three days, I predict a wet ride or two in my future.....

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Duration Product Used:   75 miles

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, The Captain

Bike Setup:   2011 SJ FSR Evo

Submitted by jimPacNW a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Strengths:    very good on hardpack, loose, gravel and mud. great all-rounder.

Weaknesses:    none noted so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm running this as a front, the 29 x 2.3, on Stans ztr 355 w/ truckerco latex. It was just a little tight to get on, but that was expected for 2bliss, and seated easily tubeless, - I'm pretty new to tubeless.
I've raced it in dry (hardpack, sand, and gravel) and now muddy with slippery roots. I doubt anything is perfect in mud/roots, I did slip around a bit and put a foot down a few times, -only went down once due to a root trapping my foot as I stepped off, lots of guys crashed on this course.
I really like this tire, good predictable grip all around, a very confident ride. I think I want one for the rear too.

Favorite Trail:   Mima falls, Capitol Forest WA

Duration Product Used:   3mo, 4 xc races. 15-20 hours

Purchased At:   local lbs

Similar Products Used:   IRC xcii, lots of older spec. tires (all the old gcs, Panaracers, Ritchey, Conti, Michelin.

Bike Setup:   '08 Kona Kula 2-9 dlx team issue, hardtail w/ mostly xtr.

Submitted by kiwijames a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast rolling, good traction for XC racing

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls...very thin, easily breached.

Bottom Line:
I have the 29x1.9 as a rear, tubeless on Cobalt 2s (Rampage 2.35 on front).....its a great fast tire and when you need to get up to speed to pass the guy in front of you at the line....its awesome. But due to the sidewalls, I'd suggest not getting too stoked about popping into the granite around Tahoe or any real rock obstacles. It holds well on packed, pretty good in mud, but not too gret on loose gravelly descents...but heck what is.

Favorite Trail:   Makara Peak

Purchased At:   LBS special order

Similar Products Used:   Small block 8, super six, Racing Ralphs,

Bike Setup:   Orbea Alma Carbon 29er World Cup, XTR, CB Cobalts, Hope floating rotors, Xfusion HiLo post, WTB devo, Reba 100mm

Submitted by Atxrider21 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling , sticks in fast corners., A very predictable tire

Weaknesses:    Could haves little stronger sidewall . I am a heavy rider so lighter people might not think the same.

Bottom Line:
In central Texas trail conditions can goo from dry dusty to wet and slick in a blink of a eye . This tire has been great to me .Never the slip climbing even over roots and rocks . A great fantastic all around tire .

Submitted by MTB ABQ a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip, light weight, fast roller for xcountry racing.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls thin- wear quickly. At 6 months sidewalls showin threads, 8 months- Stan's pushing thru sidewalls looking like tiger stripes.

Bottom Line:
Road these 2.3 tires tubeless for a mixed bag racing/riding season of high desert decomposed granite loose over hard pack in ABQ environs, dry talcum trails of crested butte & angel fire, rocky chunder in otero. Excellent grip in all dry conditions, can't speak to wet. Corners with confidence. Very fast tires when compared to equal laps vs conti trail kings, not quite as grippy as that black chili.

Good tires if you can afford to replace at 6-8 months. Fat alberts & trail kings good for 12 months minimum, more on the front.

Favorite Trail:   Otero

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe fat alberts, conti trail kings, cst caballeros

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR5, mostly stock enduro

Submitted by tzvia a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2012

Strengths:    Holly poop this tire grips! Grip grip grip. It feels like velcro, almost too much grip. On our loose over hardpack dry trails these tires grip. No slipping or scratching sounds in the climbs, it feels like it's really grabbing the trail. Not as heavy as the 2.0 Captain it replaced. Did I mention grip? I run it tubeless, with Stans, and it setup and sealed really quick.

Weaknesses:    Feels a little slow, but maybe it's because I've been riding a worn Captain for too long that couldn't grab and rolled like a slick going downhill. A little narrow looking for their claimed size.

Bottom Line:
When I went to the LBS, I intended to by a Tioga Psycho, because I have one up front and like it. But I saw this tire and it brought back memories of my favorite tires from history, the Team Master and Team Control I used to use in the 90s. So I bought 'em. It is similar, in that it is not a big air balloon casing like what is popular now, seems narrower than it's claimed size. It finds traction somehow on sand and pebble covered hard pack and I can just sit and grind up the climbs and my effort is not wasted in tire slippage. After riding a Captain in back for the last several years, I am glad I did not buy another one of those, this tire just plain out performs it. Sometimes I think it is too much traction, but it will wear a bit and break in (only had it for about a month) and I am sure loose a bit of that bite and should age into a good all around tire. The Captain, by comparison, started out OK and just got worse. Only 4 chilis for value, because they were almost 20 bucks more than the Tioga I was going to buy. Overall, 4 chilis because I have yet to see how they hold up long term, and how the traction will be once they break in a bit.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere Bend or Boise

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   In back-Wolverine, werewolf race, nevagals, Captains.

Bike Setup:   Specialized S Works Safire.

Submitted by fongster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    Great all-around tire. I'm running the 2.1 F and R. The series seems to be a bit narrower than tires marked the same-size. i.e. This 2.1 seems like a 2.0 to me. They are very predictable, never breaking loose w/o warning. I've had no unexpected wash-outs like with The Captain. After 6 months of riding so. cal. trails, the rear is just starting to slip a bit on climbs due to knob wear. I'm surprised a tire this supple has held its tread this long. These tires are fast and grip well. Rounded profile leans into turns well.

Weaknesses:    Maybe price but I'm very happy with the performance so not a big issue with me.

Bottom Line:
A light, fast and predictable tire for F and R use.

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis CrossMax, Spec. The Captain.

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight 26 with R-kit