Specialized Fear Master/Control Tires Tire

3.29/5 (38 Reviews)

Specialized Fear Master/Control Tires

Submitted by SJ a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    -Good stability--lets you REALLY lean and get grip
-Very good in softer soils
-Pinch flat resistant(I aired the Master down to about 30 psi for mud--no problem)
-Puncture-resistant(Flak Jacket,baby!)
-Ejects mud well(to a point)

Weaknesses:    -Not the greatest hardpack tire
-Useless on paved surfaces
-Wire bead strong but heavy(still won't trade it for flimsy kevlar tires though)
Note-My tires are year 2000 Team Control/Masters,in case you didn't know.

Bottom Line:
They came with the bike and are a decent product.I will never trade in knobbies for lightweight slicks--leave those to road bikes,I don't care if they "roll faster."

Favorite Trail:   The local quarry

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap "Cheng Shin" pseudo-knobby crap

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by Toaster a Downhiller from The North

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
Never punctured using them.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Erm, before people post reviews , check the sidewalls to make sure you have the right product. The tyres you should be reviewing are 2.2 width with a beadlock. Note all the DH riders love them and all the XC boys harp on about the weight or that they ripped the treads off. YOU ARE REVIEWING THE WRONG TYRE. The rear has blocks paddles about 1 inch wide. Defy anyone to rip them off after one ride. Rode and raced on them all last year and Specialised were wrong to quit making them. The front is the grippiest tyre out there in all but the worst wet weather. If anyone knows where i canget some more...e me.

Llangwyfan DH, KIS Quad

2 Years

Tioga DH, Evil Twin Slalom (rule), Panaracers, etc etc

Rotwild RDH03, Boxxers, Hope Disks

Submitted by Davy Sprocket a Weekend Warrior from Pasco, WA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:
Grippy in loose conditions
Excelent front tire braking

Weaknesses:
Weight
Price
Not very good rear tire braking
Not very good grip on hardpack

Bottom Line:
A good freeride tire for loose conditions. I can't attest to its durability, as I've only owned them for three months now, but so far they seem alright. If I had the chance to buy again I'd get something else. Remove one flaming huffy for the abovementioned disadvantages.

3 months

Kenda

Marzocchi Z-1 alloy
Cannondale CAAD3
Bontrager maverick wheels on LX hubs and DT spokes

Submitted by Ben a Racer from Hanover, NH

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Strengths:
Great grip on a wide variety of surfaces. Also, in the event of a flat, the beadlock holds the thing on the rim! Yeeah!!!

Weaknesses:
Wears out pretty fast. Also, I had some of the knobs lose little chunks.

Bottom Line:
This tire as a front one works great. It is a bad mother f*@ker for riding on all sorts of stuff and won't let ya' down. Kind of too bad specialized isn't making them anymore. For riding on sof terrain buy the Specialized slalom or the Michelin Wildgripper Mud DH(ohhhh, so beastie!). I take my Mich's on the golf course, and man, you can lean over so damn far!!! Buy the Michelin Hot S for all sorts of riding. It grips great everywhere and it's RED!!! 4 chili's to specialized, 1 off because michelin makes the Hot S.

The golf course.

more than 3 years

Michelin, Panaracer, Bonty, Maxxis.

GT Avalanche LE, Marzocchi Atom Bomb, Bonty Crow Bar.

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Strengths:
Great dry & wet grip, better than the Coyote I was running before. Seems totally resistant to puncures of any kind.

Weaknesses:
After 8 weeks of use the knobs started ripping off the carcase, clearly a manufacturing defect.

Bottom Line:
Nope, won't buy another one. back to panaracer from now on.Pity, it's a great tyre let down by poor quality.

Swiss Jura

6 months

Panaracer Duster, Hutcheson Coyote

Trek 7800carbon hardtail.

Submitted by Roberto Porter a Racer from Mexico

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1999

Strengths:
Great for loose dirt, very soft terrain, gives the front of my bike more security and handling confidence

Weaknesses:
None yet (used for 2 races)

Bottom Line:
Specialized Team Control Kevlar/Yellow Stripe model 99: Excelent front tire for loam, soft and loose dirt.

Salazar, México

less than 1 month

WTB Velociraptor front,

45 psi, Supercaliber 98, SID 65 psi

Submitted by Pedro Jose LaHoz a cross-country rider from Saltillo, Coahuila Mexico

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought both front and rear tires. The front tire I am still using, I guess I don't have any problems with it. Too bad its brother in the back end of my rig did not last for more than two rides. Two rides and it was loosing all of its knobs. I really could not beleive it, and got real pissed off at my dealer for selling me something worth so little. Worth little, but cost me a bunch of money. Thank God Victor, my dealer, gave me a discount on my next back tires.
I want to beleive specialized is a little better than the quality of this tire. I hope they are aware of their quality problem, so that some day when I forget about this tire and buy another of theirs, the same will not happen and keep me away from their products for another x number of years. The thread design is good, it grabs well, but to have it last for only one or two rides is a blasfemy and disrespect to any consumer (una mentada de madre).

Submitted by Mark a cross-country rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

These tires at first appeared to be good. But soon after using them I had nothing but problems with them. I had two tires warrantied and the third rejected. I am extremely disappointed in the fact that a very obvious failure is deemed normal wear. I never will buy another Specialized product again. I have had just too many problems with there products. MarkP.S. I wished you could select no chilli's

Submitted by Ant a weekend warrior from Kent, England

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have tried five different pairs of tyres of my bike in the last year. This has been expensive, so I hope that this comparative review of my experience with these tyres helps you make a better choice first time.Some Taiwanese no name dual purpose tires:
Heavy, not good on any terrain, a sod to get on and off the rims, couldn’t get shot of them quick enough.

Specialized Fear Master/Control: (kevlar 127tpi 1.95”)
Light. good traction on the rear. Good control on the front. Predicable in everything from mud to tarmac. If you don’t know what the terrain is going to be like, these are a good safe bet. Lasted for 1200 miles. The only reason I will never ( and I mean never ) buy them again is that they were unbalanced weight wise. Enough to cause the forks and frame to vibrate violently at high speed. The shop said that this must have been badly pressed in the factory. Who needs that when your racing against some psycho out there in the back of beyond!Panaracer Spike: ( kevlar 1.9” )
A very terrain specific tire. Truly fantastic control and traction in anything from swampland to soft mud. That said, there not safe on hard ground, and are positively lethal on tarmac. This is one time when you should heed the warning printed on the tire: Not For Road Use. No-shit-sherlock! So much so, I can’t use these tire, no matter how hard it’s been raining the night before, as the trails I ride all have some sections of tarmac. Going to keep them though, for when it snows hard.WTB VelociRaptor: ( 2.1” )
The rear has great traction in the mud; although when the mud is like clay, the wide width of this tire cause the mud to build up in the frame around the brakes and the wheel drags to a complete lockup. This is when I realised that 1.9” tires are definitely better than 2.1” in the mud. Piss poor control from the front tire. Predicable on any terrain only in the sense that I know it’s going to washout. I expected more from WTB. Michelin Wildgripper: (1.9” any colour, there all the same compound, so the guys in the bike shop say )
This is now my chosen knobbly tire for wet off road terrain. Safe enough on tarmac, predictable in soft or loose conditions; and it’s balanced! I didn’t think that the stud pattern on the rear was going to give good traction, but it does. This is the tire performance that I was expecting from the Specialized Fear Master/Control tires.Bontrager revolt SS: (2.1 front, 1.9 rear)
Light. Extremely low rolling resistance. Fantastic cornering ability on hard and dry ground of any type, including grass. Allowing you to really lean into those corners until your knees touch the ground, and you power out the bend with an elated scream of relief. These will stay on my bike from May to October. These tires are only made in 2.1” for front, 1.9” for rear. This sounds stupid at first, but don’t let it put you off, it really does work well.Summery:
Use Michelin Wildgripper: 1.9” for soft or loose conditions. (5 star)
Use Bontrager revolt SS: for any terrain in dry conditions. (5 star)3 for the Specialized.
If you would like to see some MTB photos, you are welcome to visit my home Smeg Site at www.antx.freeserve.co.uk

Submitted by joël Vingerling a racer from Harderwijk The netherlands

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I think this tire is very good and i don't understand why they give it so few
chillies.
This tire is so good because snake bites are impossible.
And the grip is very good bud it isn't so light.
Bud overal the tire is very good so i give it 4 chillies.

Submitted by Ryan Clark a weekend warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been riding these tires the past 3 months.
No complaints on the rear but I've had to bury two front tires (lost multi. knobs, both times). A few chilis to Specialized for granting warranty x2.

Submitted by Mike Fike a cross-country rider from Manchester, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

As with previous SPECIALIZED tires, the grip is good, but the sidewalls self-destruct. I have never had a SPECIALIZED tire that hasn't blown out through the sidewall. Email to SPECIALIZED got zero response. I would like to try the new SPECIALIZED Minkow saddle, but based on SPECIALIZED lack of quality control or customer support, I'll pass on this and all other SPECIALIZED products. Would award -4 chilis for customer support and -3 chilis for product quality if possible.

Submitted by pizon a cross-country rider from japan

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires came with my Rockhopper A1 FS. I am not real impressed with the mud shedding(especially in soft clay), but the climbing and downhilling are OK. Specialized work on the mud.

Submitted by Craig a weekend warrior from Knoxville, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased these tires for both ends of my Gary Fisher Montare. They worked very well, predictable and fun through the curvy stuff. However after I had ridden on them only twice the back tire started shedding the outside studs. This lack of durability is unacceptable. The interior of the tire was completely exposed to the death cookies that we hammer over. It's a miracle that I didn't flat. Luckily I noticed the problem at home preparing for my next ride. It still required a trip to the LBS though. I am still pleased with the front one so far though.Good looking tire that doesn't hold up and could easily leave you with a shredded tire deep in the woods = 1 chilli (only because you can't give zero)

Submitted by Robert Rogers a cross-country rider from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires came on my bike....a specialized M2. I have had the bike for 6 months now (great all around bike), and have completely worn out my rear tire. Worst of all, I haven't ridden the bike on any pavement! The tires offer great traction....but you pay the price in wear. So, I would have to discourage the purchase of these expensive tires unless you can afford to replace them regularly.