Specialized Fatboy Tire

4.24/5 (46 Reviews)

Instant black top speed for your MTB.

Submitted by BigKidOnBike a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    very low rolling resistance (even on our tandem), durable, easy to mount, takes a high pressure (100 psi), bald/excellent traction

Weaknesses:    a tad expensive, hard to find

Bottom Line:
We bought these tires to reduce rolling resistance/increase our speed on our tandem. Best/fastest tires we have used on that ride to date! Incredibly smooth and surprisingly easy in the rough road even at the high pressure. I kept looking and looking to find a tire that fits our 26" mtn. rims (Cannondale tandem). Hard to find! This tire is a true 1" bald. Contains the Armadillo strip so it seems really durable. Haven't had a single flat in close to 1K miles. Highly recomended. Would probably to very well as a commuter, too. Have used these tires in 2 day double century, lots of half-day rides, and with a loaded Bob on the back. We met another tandem couple who were rolling on some 1" Conti's years ago, but I could never find them locally.

Favorite Trail:   1st half of the STP!

Duration Product Used:   1K miles

Purchased At:   Bellevue bike store

Similar Products Used:   1.5' semi slick

Bike Setup:   Mtn. Tandem

Submitted by Amador a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2012

Strengths:    Fast, quiet, 100 psi

Weaknesses:    Vibrations from poor roads

Bottom Line:
I got these after researching my options for optimizing speed on my 1995 trek mtb. I wanted to convert my mtb into a fast commuting machine. This is exactly what I got. On occasions I even choose my mtb over my road bike for workouts, particularly for short distances of 10 miles or less. I see little difference in time, avg speed, and max speed at short distances when compared to my carbon road bike. This amazes me considering what I paid for my carbon bike. I never had a problem with traction in poor weather but I believe it's due to good common sense. Overall I'm really happy with the fatboys. I've had them for 500 miles and have not had my first flat.

Duration Product Used:   500 miles

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer tour guard 26 x 1.5

Bike Setup:   1995 trek mountai track 850

Submitted by sheldon

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    durable

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
I have toured through New Zealand and Australia on these tires. never had a flat. put thousands of miles on these tires at 100 psi. I remember riding down a mountain side that I lived on to go to work in downtown Wellington, I could get them to squeel as I was riding so fast around the corners. They never let me or my Merlin down.
Now I use them for training with my duaghters, them on tri bikes, and me on my merlin.

Duration Product Used:   too many years

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   merlin with paniers

Submitted by daveparker777 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Not much to say. 26 x 1.25 Fat Boys with "Flak Jacket".

Weaknesses:    Poor rolling resistance. Lousy puncture protection. Flatted by a flake of rock.

Bottom Line:
Not at all impressed. Won't be buying another set of these tires.

Favorite Trail:   B&A Trail Anne Arundel County Md

Duration Product Used:   230 miles

Purchased At:   Capital Bike, Annapo

Bike Setup:   1999 GT Outpost Trail.

Submitted by tbalzer a Weekend Warrior from Ogden, Utah

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Good price, low rolling resistance, looks good.

Weaknesses:    there is no tread, so be careful if encountering dirt or sand. I haven't had any problems with sand or dirt, but it could be a problem

Bottom Line:
I've had the Ritchey Tom Slick for years and thought it was a good tire. Then went to the LBS and lucked out and these were the only tires they had that fit the bill. There were the more expensive kevlar bead specialized, but for commuting $40 a tire is out of my price range. I am so glad that I purchased these tires. They roll fast and have enough width to make the ride comfortable at the same time.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Tom Slick

Bike Setup:   Electra Townie 7d w/ full commuting setup

Submitted by bcrank a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    built in tire liner, low rolling resistance. skinny. easy to mount. i can do it by hand. don't know what problem others are having.

Weaknesses:    sometimes hard to find locally. slices easily (of course anything does if you hit glass)

Bottom Line:
this is a good tire. i have been using it for almost 10 years and i have found nothing better. i have actually been using the latest set for over 3 years with no problems. of course, once in awhile you get a bad tire, but that is the same with any tire.

i do use liners despite the built-in liner, but have only had the rare large thorn or cactus needle penetrate through the tire, but not through the liner. i do use liners with any tire out here--lots of cactus and mesquite trees(thorns)that drop branches in the middle of your path.

the tires definitely add speed to your commute. comparisons on known road loops have yielded at least 5mph increase on average uphill, about 7 on flats and about 10mph on downhills. at least for me.

of course be careful in the wet and slick surfaces, but that is common sense. no tread. right??

Favorite Trail:   ANY

Similar Products Used:   Any other slick.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC

Submitted by HaveBlue a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Strengths:    Quiet; Low rolling resistance; High pressure

Weaknesses:    Short life span; prone to cuts and punctures; difficult to remove and install

Bottom Line:
I'm really disappointed with this tire. While on a ride today, I got yet another flat in the rear. That was the third one this month alone. Luckily I was near a bike shop. They checked out the tire and recommended I replace it due to wear. They offered to extend the life of the tire by installing a thorn-resistant tube, but I opted to replace the tire completely. I only got 315 miles out of the rear tire. The Specialized Fatboy gets 1 chili for value and 2 chilis for the strengths named above.

Favorite Trail:   Red Mesa Loop

Purchased At:   30

Similar Products Used:   Continental Town & Country

Bike Setup:   1996 Trek 8500 converted to commuting/touring

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Ogden, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Price, weight, rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
These tires are above and beyond the tom slicks they replace. The rolling resistance and weight are a huge improvement over the tom slicks. They are a bit more expensive however I think they are worth it in the time saved getting to and from work. I did not have the same problems mounting these tires as some others did. It may be the tolerance of electra's rims however.

Once winter rolls around I'll have to get some studded tires but I am not worried about the rain after reading previous posts. I have not ridden them in the rain yet but am not worried after reading previous posts. These tires are definately for the street because of the width and lack of any tread. Do not take these off road!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Tom Slick 1.5's

Bike Setup:   Electra Townie 7D set up for commuting duty

Submitted by sacrac a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent puncture resistance for a 1.25 tire.

Weaknesses:    Cant think of any

Bottom Line:
Just put them on the wife's bike for a ride from Key Largo to Key West and back, +200 miles (http://www.bubbafestbiketours.com/). All I can say is that we passed numerous other cyclist fixing numerous flats. We had none to report. I was on Continental Town and Country tires, which I usually use to urban stupid riding in downtown Orlando. I keep a set of wheels with the fatboys for speed work as I never was a roadie kind of person. Anyway, what it comes down to is I bought about three tubes and many air cylinders to fix the flats that we were "going" to have with all of the glass and other nonsense, but never used a thing. In fact I was giving away cylinders and patches to all of the roadie riders that were on their, not kidding, 4th or 5th flat each day. I dont work for specialized, but these tires are... slick, 1.25 diameter, round, tough, and a noticably feel different from knobbies. Well worth the price. Dont know about the weight, but if you are buying slicks for a mtn bike... get a road bike if you are going to freak about weight.

Favorite Trail:   Carter Road, Santos, Snow Hill (for training)

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle Works

Similar Products Used:   Continental Town and Country

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Hardtail, Specialized Hard Rock (wife's bike)

Submitted by Sum1 a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    Almost completely silent and very smooth ride on smooth pavement (unlike knobby mountain tires), excellent cornering.

Weaknesses:    Makes bike look weak and skimpy. Not much faster than the Specialized Resolution Tires (standard on 08' Hardrock models). Also hard to get off rims.

Bottom Line:
I switch back and forth between these tires and my Resolution tires to save the tread on the Resolution tires. These are great commute tires. If you ride your bike to work or school everyday, these tires are the best you can get. I also would recommend these tires to people who ride on the road for fun. If you spend most of your biking time on very rough roads, keep looking for another tire because these tires would get annoying after awhile. Every little bump is transmitted up the bike with these tires at 100 psi.

Favorite Trail:   Ohlone Wilderness Trail

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Garage

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it.

Bike Setup:   2008 Hardrock Comp Disc

Submitted by zazznpazz a Cross Country Rider from Shropshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Strengths:    Used on 26 mile round trip 5 days a week for four years. Fast responsive ride in wet or dry. never failed me

Weaknesses:    can be hard to get off rim

Bottom Line:
cruise

Purchased At:   Unknown - it was 13

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif

Submitted by al from denton tx

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    round, black

Weaknesses:    excessivly hi rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
give these a miss: expensive! very high rolling resistance & mediocre traction & flat protection. the $10 Nashabr slicks are an equivalent tire, and lower rollign resistance! I felt like i was pedaling the bike through an inch of sand, even at 100psi.

for this kind of money you can get real tires like Schwalbe Marathons, Conti Sport Contact, Panny t-serves, etc. Sorry but Specialized is trading on their name recognition.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   most all slicks

Bike Setup:   mtb set up for 4000+ miles/yr commuting

Submitted by Derek Brereton a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    High PSI, fast rolling. Makes for a fast commute. Made to sprint on a green light. No flats.

Weaknesses:    Avoid skidding the rear tire. It can slide.

Bottom Line:
Great city tires for any 26" hybrid or hardtail turned commuter bike. I love em!
Keep looking if your commute includes anything that is not paved.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   IRC tires.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale BadBoy, hybrid.

Submitted by Cody Ooka a Cross Country Rider from Claremont, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    Fast. I like how they hum on pavement. Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    They're expensive if you buy them from a store.

Bottom Line:
They're quick and I haven't had a flat in them yet.

Favorite Trail:   Claremont Wilderness Park

Purchased At:   Ebay (price includes shipping)

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Mobybite.

Bike Setup:   1998 Schwinn Homegrown, Green, 2008 LX rear derailleur, older XT front derailleur and LX shifters, Avid 1.9L Levers and Arch Rival 50 brakes, A.R.C. carbon flat bar, Wellgo Mag pedals,

Submitted by Richard Moeur a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    Very light & fast for a 26" tire

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewall (on older skinwall versions) is susceptible to cut flats

Bottom Line:
I've used Fat Boys off & on for about 15 years now. They're excellent tires for 26" street riding. Wet weather traction & cornering is only an issue on oily or dirty surfaces. I usually get about 1500-2000 miles out of a tire (rotating F-R every 400-500 mi or so). I had one with only 365 miles blow out through the tread, but I think it had been sitting around for a while before I mounted it. IRC Metro 1.25 tires (the older version with skinwalls) also pump up to 100 PSI, and I've gotten 3000+ miles out of the Metros, but IRC doesn't list that model anymore (only a lower-pressure version). To those who complain about road shock: I'll take a 100 PSI Fat Boy any day over a 100 PSI 700C road tire - the added cross section (but nearly-same rolling resistance) makes a big difference.

Purchased At:   Various locations