Specialized Fast Trak S-Works 2Bliss Tire

2.76/5 (17 Reviews)

Designed to be the fastest cross country tire on earth with input from Team Specialized. Features exceptional light weight, low rolling resistance and large volume.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2017

Strengths:    I got them for free so what could go wrong?
Weight
Mounting
Rolling resistance
Great on dry debris free hardpack

Weaknesses:    Narrow for a 2.2 even when mounted on wide rims (underwhelmed when measured on a 19mm and a 39mm rim)
Grip on anything other than dry debris free hardpack.
The ensuing hospital visit after finding that out.

Bottom Line:
They came on a set of rims that I bought off of a friend. They weighed significantly less that the Kenda Karma's I had mounted (860g vs 585g). At first I was impressed. I took them to a local trail (Wahlfield park) and tested them out on the hardpack. They worked great on the tail and repeated runs on the flow trails including the climbing back up. I really enjoyed the lower rotating mass during that part. If dry hardpack is all you have with no roots, bridges or rocks I can see how they would be a great tire. Sidewalls are super thin so be careful.

However, the second they get into anything other than hardpack, all bets are off. I do most of my riding out by the lakeshore where the trails are a bit looser. In just 1.5 miles I slid out twice on easy trail. I hit a loose spot in a flat wide corner and the tires just turned off like a light switch and I was sitting on the ground. Laughs were had I brushed the dirt off figured it was a fluke and pressed on.

Near the bottom of an easy descent (16.1mph on the Garmin) approaching a bridge, I set up my line, cut through some looser soil (never had been a problem with other tires) and the tires turned off again. Bike when out from under me and I landed hard on my arm, slid off the side of the bridge, bashed my helmet on the side of the bridge, and was laying in the clay creek bed with the bike on me. Sprained wrist and bruised ribs. I took the tires off my bike the next day and refuse to ride them. I put the well worn Kenda's back on and they ride with no issues.

One of the other reviewers commented how they sound like a basketball and bounce/slide on even the smallest rocks and roots and that is an accurate statement. Even when mounted on a super wide rim running 22/24psi.

TL:DR
Enjoy on dry hardpack
Caution on anything else: twigs, roots, rock, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Various around West Michigan

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Buddy of mine

Similar Products Used:   Various Maxxis (Ardent, Aggressor, Minion), Kenda (Karma, Happy Medium, Slant Six) and other MTB tires

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er, 100mm Travel, 1x10

Submitted by Darbnella a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2013

Strengths:    They are black and made of rubber

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are pathetic

Bottom Line:
The 29x2.0 S-Works came on the front of my new Epic. Did fine on gentle dry hard pack with nothing technical and trails void of any rocks. This past Sunday, I was following three more-skilled riders through some rocks, I managed to cut the sidewall. Should I have manuevered and selected a better line? Probably. Still, nobody else suffered the same fate. Stan's wouldn't seal and I flatted; I was bummed. Returned home and began researching new tires and discover that these tires have weak sidewalls and cut/tear easily. Sure enough ... the reviews are correct. Not recommended for rocks.

Duration Product Used:   100 hours

Submitted by Sean

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, low rolling resistance, set up tubeless very easily, grip well enough for a XC tire

Weaknesses:    SIDEWALLS

Bottom Line:
I have been through two sets of these tires in less than 6 months. I have had to replace both sets due to sidewall tears. Both tears occured on non-technical terrain. The first tear I was climbing a rocky fire road and the second tear I rolled about a foot off of a small log.

Submitted by Courtney Ray

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    The tier seems to roll okay. I am running 2.0 tires because thats all they had. I had problems getting the Mavick SLR Cross Maxx 29er wheel to setup with my favorite Bontrager 29-1 tires as well as other Maxxis tires. I was thrilled that these tires would setup tubeless and others would not. However, the tire performance really are lacking. The weight is good as a result they are fast.

Weaknesses:    Soft compound which is not good for loose over hard packed. Cornering is so bad I am not even willing to take a chance on the 2.2 size. Even slow the front tire wants to washout on you. They feel like your riding on balloons. The hollow sound of a basketball bouncing is what you hear the entire ride while going over roots and rocks. They loose air within hours and are definately over priced.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from these. The Renegades are much better.

Submitted by unezridr a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, lightweight. High volume option 2.2"

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are pathetic. Price is too high for the lack of durability.

Bottom Line:
I got these to run on the rear of my FS bike. I was looking for something which rolled fast and had reasonable traction. Last summer I got a Specialized "The Captain" for the front and loved it so I thought I'd try this. Wishing I'd tried something else. On my second ride in a section that has some loose rock which I ride weekly and have never before had a sidewall tear, I managed to scrape enough material off the sidewall to flat and couldn't get it to hold air even with plenty of sealant in. I had to put in a tube to continue riding. As another reviewer said: if your trails are loose over hardpack this tire is good. If you've got ANY rocks, BEWARE.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XR1, XDX

Bike Setup:   Fisher HiFi 29

Submitted by Raher312 a Cross Country Rider from Butler, Pa

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Fast rolling, Light

Weaknesses:    Washes out in corners, tread wears fast

Bottom Line:
These tires are definitely fast however I ran them at a lower psi for the cornering purposes. If it were not for their low weight I would exchange them for something with more grip.

Favorite Trail:   Bavington, Findley

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson python airlights

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Comp 29er

Submitted by tkehler a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, rolls well, 'floats' nicely over hardpack, brilliant on the asphalt on the way to the trail

Weaknesses:    grip, traction, wear, and not good in the wet (that's understandable)

Bottom Line:
Great tire for racers, and on level hardpack. I rode many happy miles with this tire, in those conditions. However, when I hit a steep hill and/or some babyhead rocks sticking out of the trail on a slope, I regularly lost traction. I know these aren't grippy but I was patching out ALL the time. Not for me...

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail

Submitted by The Trooper a Racer from Running Springs, CA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls fast. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall tears.

Bottom Line:
I ride in loose/dry conditions. As for handling, don't be fooled by the aggressive appearance of the tread. Lean the bike over and the front tire will want to wash out. However, this tire works really well as a rear tire. I recommend something with more traction on the front.

I don't recommend S-Works tires. On a strictly dirt course, they would be fine. Add some sharp rocks and you're destined for a sidewall tear, guaranteed. Pay the slight weight penalty and use a Fast Trak Control instead. They're more durable.

Similar Products Used:   Fast Trak Control

Bike Setup:   Fast Trak in the rear. Something more agressive up front.

Submitted by rakerdeal a Cross Country Rider from Lexington, NC

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Strengths:    Reasonably lighweight

Weaknesses:    Probably cornering

Bottom Line:
The first time I rode the Epic with these tires I hit a corner I've done many times and down I went. 2nd corner same thing. But instead of saying, "I'll NEVER use these damn tires again," I said to myself, "Me and this fast rolling Specialized tire are going to find some way, any possible way, to get along with one another.

We did. I don't fall any more. I have intuitively learned to corner on these tires. They corner much differently than the Maxxis. Again: They are fast.

Favorite Trail:   Uwharrie

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Crossmark, Kenda

Bike Setup:   Epic 2009

Submitted by onlycrimson a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    This tire grips very well and has low rolling resistance. I was surprised at how well it corners. It really is a good race tire, very light.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the price. I wish they came in a fatter size for 29ers.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for racing and hard pack conditions. I ride them through everything though. Rain, mud, rocks and they hold up well. Mine sealed up tubeless with no issues.

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   This was my first short knob tire.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper comp 29er

Submitted by j_shoe99 a Racer from WI

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    Light, cornering grip, ability to go tubeless

Weaknesses:    pack up in mud, but, they are NOT mud tires.

Bottom Line:
They come stock on the new Epic Expert. After being quite impartial to my Michelin Dry tires, I decided i'd convert these to tubeless and try them out. I now like them better than my old tires, since they perform better in the moist stuff. They hug corners without hesistation, very fast rolling, and climb well and (knock on wood) no flats in the ~400miles off-road so far. They are a great xc racing tire, at least for me. If I was only trail-riding, I would opt for a slightly more aggressive tire. I would buy these again.

Favorite Trail:   Baird Creek

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Dry's.

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon

Submitted by DonSole a Cross Country Rider from gent, belgium

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    rolls really smooth, gives me confidence on hardpack offroad. (i kind of allways use low rolling resistance tires)

Weaknesses:    from day one the tire lost all its air over a period of +/- 10hrs. i held the tire under water and it leaked tiny amounts of air over the whole side surface in tiny diagonal lines spaced evenly.

I contacted specialized support by email, they said they'd reply in 24 hrs, which they didn't. I called my shop and the sales tech said they knew about the problem, had contacted specialized about it. He said specialized's statement is use some sort of specialized sealant milk. The tech sold me GEAX GTT instead which he said is cheaper. still it sux to buy a tubeless tire that leaks air from the factory. then you have to use some product which will add about 5 euro and 50 grams per tire. and i don't even know if that'll work.

Bottom Line:
it must be my mistake since no other reviewer talks about the same flaw or about using the sealant for mounting the tire.

- specialized not giving the support they claim
- my shop for not informing me about a default they know about
- tire unusable as sold without sealant

+ nice grip for the rolling resistance, light

Favorite Trail:   jura, france

Purchased At:   moving store

Similar Products Used:   hutchinson scorpion, python, geax , ...

Bike Setup:   scott cfx200, mavic crossmax

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    As previously mentioned, loses air even with Stan's sealant. Weak tire. Ride with caution.

Bottom Line:
Don't bother with these tires. I took them on a recent XC race with a lot of cactus in the area...two punctures to my front tire (Kenda Nevegal UST) in the first hour, but both sealed quickly with Stan's. However, later in the race another puncture that just opened this one up and no chance of sealing it. It's a weak tire that I have never felt completely comfortable ripping on. The Kendas I can push to the edge and feel confident that they will stand up to the abuse...these Specialized tires, though, have always made me nervous when it came to pushing it a bit, and it showed this weekend. Don't waste your money.

Purchased At:   LBC