Specialized Eskar Control 2Bliss Tire

• Butyl wrapped bead
  • Low Rolling Resistance Tread Design

Submitted by Fred Smedley

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2013

Strengths:    High Volume, confidence inspiring cornering traction.

Weaknesses:    May not be the fastest rolling tire.

Bottom Line:
I got this tire used at the local Bike co-op. It had around 85%-95% tread left and was just full of goatheads. I pulled them out , mounted it n a Mavic 217 tubed on the front of a Fisher Sugar. Awesome tire! This thing sticks in the Idaho high dessert loose moondust that happens around here after two months of no rain. I did not notice a vague transition to the cornering knobs as other reviewers had claimed. I also went south to Vegas for a couple of days riding and it performed as well in the rockier landscape .

Duration Product Used:   1 year.

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, Klein Death Grip, Panaracer Smole-Dart. WTB Moto-rapter

Bike Setup:   2002 Fisher Sugar, 98 Trek 930.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stable, good traction on climbs, If you can get comfortable with the drift in loose conditions the side knobs will really grab.

Weaknesses:    These are expensive tires. I expected better durability.

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews about the weak sidewalls, but I figured the reviews were by some young guns tearing it up...no, wrong, this old and slow guy has ripped up two tires in the rocks of the Gila Nation Forest. Better to keep them on hard pack.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak Challenge, Gila Natonal Forest

Submitted by Vdub a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Fast rolling and good cornering on hard packed dirt and slick rock.

Weaknesses:    Too drifty and slippery on anything sandy, wet or loamy. Very tough to get traction using this as a rear tire on steep or sandy climbs. The sidewalls are a little weak and easy to pinch flat, as well as tear.

Bottom Line:
If you are riding mellow, smooth or hard packed single track these tires are decent. I only tried them because they came stock on my new bike but I switched tires as soon as possible (after tearing a sidewall). I would honestly Not recommend them for all mountain usage or anything with sand or jagged rocks, and there are far better tires for the money.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis High Roller and Ardent; Kenda Small block 8 and Nevegals; WTB Prowler XT and SS; etc

Submitted by bipolarbear a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Good grip, lighter

Weaknesses:    Super weak sidewalls

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my Pitch Pro. Read the reviews and figured that the guys tearing sidewalls were just riding really rocky trails aggressively. Not the case. I wouldn't buy these tires honestly.

I was riding the Colorado Trail in a section that was not rocky whatsoever. Blew out the sidewall who knows where. Put a hole that I could put my thumb through.

I only had these tire for a few months. Just got the bike at the end of last season, maybe 15 rides on the tires and they are shot.

Ride performance: Not very stable in the turn unless you really lean them over or run super low pressure. I can't, I'm a bigger guy.

Not very impressed.

Similar Products Used:   Weirwolfs, Conti

Bike Setup:   Pitch Pro, stock, came with tires

Submitted by Wally a Weekend Warrior from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    Uhhhhhhh, can't really think of any strengths. Weight I guess (from what others are saying)?

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls! I tore the rear sidewalls in several places after my first ride at Sandstone Peak (rocky trail). And they never felt solid while cornering or climbing off-camber stuff. They didn't grip the "dust-on-crust" conditions we have in SoCal. Replacing with Ol' Faithfuls tonight (Nevegals). Stay away from these tires if you ride similar rocky, hard-pack conditions

Bottom Line:
Don't buy. If they came on your bike, change em out before you hurt yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Space Mt

Purchased At:   came w/ bike

Similar Products Used:   Nevegals!

Bike Setup:   09 Specialized Enduro Expert

Submitted by ahracing a Cross Country Rider from Austin Texas USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2011

Strengths:    Long lasting.All Trail usage

Bottom Line:
Awesome tire used it downhilling on rear at Angel Fire then on to Frita,Four day tour hut to hut then on to Palo Dura State park.It climbs, it corners, awesome tire does not wash out.Very tough no slices.I have completely worn the rear out then put front on rear then put on a new front Eskar.I have ridden it all over central Texas at all the race courses.Run it tubeless at low pressures with no failures.Right now I am stocking up and will ride nothing else for now.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill ranch

Purchased At:   Bicylce Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Purgatory 26 x 2.2

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon or Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from westchester

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looking, reasonable weight, reasonable rolling resistance, good grip, sets up tubeless easily

Weaknesses:    Totally suck on a 19mm rim

Bottom Line:
I bought these rims a long while back. I don't know if I ever rode them, but somehow they ended up on a set of crossmax XL's on one of my girlfriend's bikes. Not sure if she ever rode them. One day, I was eyeing them thinking "those might be pretty nice on one of my bikes". Put the wheels and tires on my Maveric ML7. Totally squirrely feeling tire, unable to ride with any confidence. Read in one of these reviews about how they aren't good on 19mm rims.
Mounted them on Easton AM Havoc rims (22mm) tubeless with stan's rhyno lite rim strips.
I have only ridden them once with this set-up, but they seem like really great tires.
Amazing how much difference a wider rim makes with a tire like this.

Favorite Trail:   graham hills

Purchased At:   specialized online

Similar Products Used:   many: hutchinson, schwalbe, maxxis, kenda, etc.

Bike Setup:   Banshee Morphine, 130 mm Manitou fork, Easton AM Havoc rims

Submitted by Tzvia a Weekend Warrior from Woodland Hills CA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    As a front tire, they may not be the fastest feeling, but they beat the Nevegal by a mile; grip well, hardpack to loose over hard and rocky conditions. They float well over sand up front and don't wander. Just keep up the gas and they dig right out in a straight line. Out here in So Cal, the tire that beats the sand is, in my opinion, a keeper. And so it is. I also have an S-Works on another bike, and they feel much the same. Haven't had the issues others have mentioned with 19mm rims, they fee just fine to me. Running them tubeless, they sealed up quikly with no fuss.

Weaknesses:    A little slow feeling compared with the Wolverines I was using before, but the tradeoff is better cornering and better sand handling.

Bottom Line:
A good tire if you want a good all round dry condition tire (haven't tried it in damp/wet). Hardpack, loose, sand, rock gardens (our stuff is not usually sharp), roots, and rutted trails are no problem. Good cornering grip. So far, wearing well and have had no flats or cuts. I admit, I am a finesse XC/trail rider and will scan for the best line in the rough and not just bash through, but these tires are holding up well. Only 4 chilis, they are a bit pricey and maybe a tad slow feeling up front.

Favorite Trail:   Where ever I am riding now

Similar Products Used:   Wolverines, Tiogas, Nevegals, Weirwolfs.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem W/XT XTR. Roval Control EL wheels.

Submitted by carl.watson a Weekend Warrior from leigh lancashire

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    light grippy high volume easy to set up as tubeless with stans kit price

Weaknesses:    very very weak and thin sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
superb in every respect until you encounter a sharp rock as i found out on my first ride out. a rock tore an inch long tear in the side wall. maybe bad luck but the sidewalls are very weak. wont use again as i had driven a long way and had a ride ruined. just fitted a pair of michelin mountain xtreme tubeless 2.5 tyres. a lot heavier but with reinforced sidewalls

Favorite Trail:   Ae forest

Purchased At:   evans

Similar Products Used:   bontrager jones michelin xtreme

Bike Setup:   xtension explorer coil lyrik fox dhx4 ti spring specialized sx wheelset stans hope moto

Submitted by dougifresh1 a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls well

Weaknesses:    Wears fast, so so grip in loose hardback on the rear.

Bottom Line:
Wears to quickly to consider buying again. It's light, but center knobs just melt away. Run @ 28lbs and still not great on mild wet or loose dirt over rock. Mounts easily and so far the sidewalls are ok, but only have been out a dozen times on them. Like the maxxis TNT's I'm running on the front.

Favorite Trail:   It's all Good

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   All of them

Bike Setup:   69er Ti Hardtail with 5" travel

Submitted by denvech a Weekend Warrior from portland, or USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    climbing, consistency, wear, lightweight, predictable and warn you before they fail in a corner, good drifting, specialized satisfaction guarantee

Weaknesses:    Lightweight, sharp rock puncture prone, very poor inconsistent bite on soft loamy conditions

Bottom Line:
Good tire, pretty good all arounder but not great in the moist after winter needles and semi loose loamy trail conditions. They rock socks in harder pack. The cornering is fantastic and off camber exceptional. But if you have a thinner rim like a 19mm, the sidewalls are not strong enough to prevent rolling on the rim and squirmishness. Got a puncture prematurely, stans helped but still. If they lose grip, they tend to catch quick and warn you. I'm not going to replace my wheels, but I am getting different tires as the softer sidewalls are absolutely unnacceptable on my thinner rims. With the right rims though, I'd probably have a new favorite.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Purchased At:   Rivercity Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   fire xc pro, mutano raptor, eskar armadillo, nevegal, cinder

Bike Setup:   litespeed niota ti - decked out, 19mm wide cane creek zonos rim wheels

Submitted by Jerome a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec, CANADA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight for a tubeless-ready tire
Excellent grip, especially at low pressure
Nice volume for a 2.3 tire

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
I've used this tire front and rear on my mullet/winter bikes, so they've seen mud as well as much snow and to say the least, I'm impressed. With the right pressure (under 30 psi) they grip like Tasmanian devils and track with the best in corners. I've been using the tires tubeless with 2 cups of Stan's and they held air fine, with just a few psi to add once in a while. Since march, I've mounted a Purgatory Control 2.2 in the rear to lighten a bit the rear wheel, but overall, the Eskar inspire confidence and are very well though-out for everything all-mountain and even light freeride, especially considering their price.

Favorite Trail:   Montagne des Roches, Charlesbourg

Purchased At:   ABC Cycles et Sports

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf 2.5
Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss 2.2

Bike Setup:   Custom Specialized Pitch build from frame up

Submitted by njoehawkeye a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Strengths:    Freakin' Light, Compared to others this width. Great Traction, Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls seem flimsy, especially on the S-works, which I'm running on front. But hasn't been an issue yet.

Bottom Line:
Get these tires. MTB Action gave them rave reviews run tubeless and I figured I'd check out the hype. They're the real deal. I'm running the Control on Back to deflect some of the sharp ass rocks found on our front range trails. But really happy.

Also my riding buddy who got them first seems to almost keep up with me, until I got a set too. Seals up really well with Stan's too.

These might be a little pricey at retail, but I've seen them on ssale around Denver, But overall I think they're worth every penny. And the Wear seems alot better than my old nevegals so far (only three months).

So remember,

ride it like you stole it.

Favorite Trail:   Sourdough Trail

Purchased At:   Turin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E and DTC. WTB mutanoraptor

Bike Setup:   Marin Wolf Ridge '07 Stock besides ghetto tubeless conversion with Eskar Control rear, S-works front. Oh and gold ODI Ruffians.

Submitted by Jack Gold-Molina a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    Traction, low rolling resistance, climbs well, versatile

Bottom Line:
This is a great trail tire if you want something versatile that can handle damp singletrack with roots and rocks as well as dry, loose conditions. I normally like to use different tire combinations for the front and rear, but I have found that an Eskar rear works best with an Eskar front, rather that something else like a Nevegal front or a Velociraptor rear, so they work very well together. In more technical conditions that have a lot of roots and/or rocks, this might not be the best tire, but you could still get by with it. They stick to the trail very well and climb surprisingly well, even in wet and/or loose conditions. This is an excellent all-around trail tire. If you are looking for a more durable version of this tire, Specialized makes the Armadillo model also.

Favorite Trail:   Parasite/Tapeworm

Purchased At:   Specialized Web Site

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal front and rear; Panaracer Fire XC front and rear; MTB Velociraptor, older model Bontrager Jones, or Specialized Chunder rear with Nevegal or Panaracer Fire XC front

Bike Setup:   Late 2007 Heckler, DT 5.1 rims with DT 340 hubs, Fox RP23 shock, 2007 Fox Float 140 forks

Submitted by piccirilli a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight for a 2.4 tire- 700gr
Very, very low rolling resistance for all day rides
Low profile, not squishy like other tires in same class.
Hooks up well on turns. Predictable and stable.
Although not perfect, it does well in wet conditions considering the design for low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Thin side walls but hey, what can you expect for a 700gr 2.4" tire? There has to be a compromise somewhere. If you are careful, not bombing through sharp rocks, or major hucking, it's a great all around tire.

Bottom Line:
I really liked this tire the first time I used it. 6 months later, I still love them. The nevegals stick better, but at a cost of rolling resistance. I would imagine the new Maxxis All Mountain Ardent tire would be more durable due to the thicker side walls, with extra weight +150grams per tire. I would give the Ardent a try if you need something with thicker sidewalls. Otherwise use these, because the tread design is the best I've found so far for All Mountain. I am 170lbs, run 30lbs pressure and they serve me well up to 4' drops.

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 8