Specialized Dirt Control Tire

3.55/5 (11 Reviews)

Dirt Control

Submitted by Jon from Gillette

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    rounded profile, low rolling resistance, beasts on the hardpack they are intended for.

Weaknesses:    they are now unfortunately dead.

Bottom Line:
The profile on these tires allows you to have a good deal of control in the corners, it also is very predictable. There isn't a lot of knob height here, but that isn't really what the tires are intended for. They are for harpack, where the tire doesn't bite so much as scratch. You can get a flat sort of easily, and the f/r specificity is justified, and it is definately a directional tire.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   crappy kenda connections that came oem, Specialized Ground Control/Master, Schwinn Moab XC

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300, oem tires are back on, some new titec & kore stuff on the front, koski stuff bringing up the rear, miscellaneous replacement/upgraded parts.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    Nice feel, light, great under hard braking.

Bottom Line:
Wanted something grippier than the MiMo that I've been using for around a year.
Despite what most of the reviews say, this is a good tire, very consistent feel and predictable, even in loose conditions. I have yet to have this wash out on me, which can only mean faster cornering :)
It's a 1.9, so it rolls quicker than than the MiMo, which is a 2.0.
I have this paired with a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 at the rear, and have found this tire combination excellent.

Great tire, I'll be getting another one.

Purchased At:   John Bull Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Team Control, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, Maxxis Larsen MiMo

Bike Setup:   2001 Marin Nail Trail, LX, Front Disc, V Rear.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Monroe

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Strengths:    great profile - no edge feel in the corners

Weaknesses:    not the greatest mud tire

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire. The advertised weight was around the 500 gram mark. They are only a 1.9" so they lack air volume compared to a 2.1" but I am a 150lb rider so I can get away with it. Sure they don't track as well as a wider tire would, but that's not to say they track badly. The traction and braking is as good as other tires I've used. I love these tires most in the corners where I can lean them with confidence as there is not an edge or abrupt corner that makes you feel like you are loosing traction. I use the front specific up front and in the rear and have not had any real problem with traction. For the price I paid, I got low weight coupled with good cornering and traction. I believe there are better tires, but this is a good one, overall I'm one happy limey. I would recommend this tire to any one who likes a 1.9" tire and doesn't ride in a lot of mud (does not shed mud very well).

Favorite Trail:   white ranch park CO.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   ground controls, ritchey Z-max,

Bike Setup:   Schwinn homegrown, RS judy, XTR and XT component mix bontrager wheels

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Wusta, Mass

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Strengths:    Big and Knobby

Weaknesses:    Too damn big an knobby

Bottom Line:
I bought these for a trip to Killington for some fairly serious DH and they performed great. I don't think a single rider passed my Fuel 90 all weekend, and the Fuels are not dedicated DH rides.

Back home I've found these way too heavy and cumbersome for the single track that I love. They're overkill and they slow me down. I'm going to throw on a pair of lower profile sneak's and save the Dirts for my end of season Mt. Snow assault.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   Bicycle Alley

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC Pros, Michelin Wilderness Hot S

Bike Setup:   Typical XC FS w/ Hayes front and back

Submitted by Alan Koslowski a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light, intermediate tread (good for hardpack & pavement)

Weaknesses:    Lunctures easily, mediocre durability, poor traction in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
These were the stock tires on my FSR. They can best be described as adequate; they generally perform well enough, but superbly. They have a good intermediate sort of tread that works well on hardpack and pavement, but doesn't offer the best traction on rough terrain (especially in wet conditions).

I use my bike both for commuting (road) and off-road. The major problem I have with these tires is durability. I've been riding them a little over a year and have had at least 3 flats caused by only marginal hazards (box staples, etc). The tread has held up pretty well over a year, but is now starting wear down.

Overall this is an average tire. If they hadn't come with my bike I would not buy them unless I found a serious deal. Don't think about getting these unless you find them for less than $20. There are better deals out there.

Favorite Trail:   Little Bald Hills (Redwood NP)

Purchased At:   Stock tires on my bike.

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized FSR XC - Stock, except saddle.

Submitted by Gary a Weekend Warrior from Boise Idaho

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Light and low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    traction and durability

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheel because it was light and I was trying to get my bike well under the Sub 22 advertised. First couple of rides I thought it was alright due to the weight and low rolling resistance. Then I noticed that I was spinning out on all the climbs that I used to make easly with my heavier IRC tires. That is when I started thinking that maybe I focused to much on weight at the expense of funtionality. Then on about my 8th ride on these tires I blew the side wall riding across a flat section of a dirt road. I went back to look for the cause and all I could see was a small stick on the trail that must have flipped up and punched the side wall. 8 rides, $30, doesn't climb, The bottom line is that these things suck. Don't waste your money like I did.

Favorite Trail:   Humpty bump

Purchased At:   bikesource.com

Similar Products Used:   IRC mythos; WTB; Specialized GC

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Sub 22, Sram 9.0, Cane Creek WAM Ti wheelset, Rockshock SID SL, raceface cranks, etc...

Submitted by Gary White a Cross Country Rider from London, England, UK

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance, pinch flat resistant. Reasonable grip in dry conditions. Specialiazed.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
Contrary to other negative reviews, I think that these tires are excellent. I rode them for a week, over 200 miles on road and punishing desert and rock trails in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco: white knuckle descents on sharp flint and slate 'zero traction' singletrack paths - not a single puncture! Traction was fair given the conditions and the best thing about the tires is they don't 'tramline'. I just had the tires pumped up hard (50psi) - which you can get away with on a full-sus bike. Maybe not for the hardtail bike, then.

Purchased At:   Wiggle.Co.Uk (Internet)

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-Bike full sus, Marzocchi Z2 forks & Fox Vanilla Float RC rear shock; XTR all round with Race Face Next LP crankset and rings, Hope XC hubs and Mavic X618 rims.

Submitted by Max Solomon a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, Il

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely light.

Weaknesses:    Very poor puncture resistance. I've had the most flats of any tire I've ever used. I hit a small piece of glass the other day that ripped a large hole in my rear tire.

Bottom Line:
If you're going to do enduro/epic rides get a more durable tire. These tires are way too expensive for what you get. I rate them low on value, but better overall. If you just want a light tire to go racing these may fit the bill.

Purchased At:   oem on my stumpjumper pro

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer (the best), Onza, Michelin, Kenda, WTB, etc.

Bike Setup:   Stump Pro

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Strengths:    supple casing, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    washes out easily due to narrow tread width & casing

Bottom Line:
This tire rolls easily & has a great feel on the trail due to the supple Team Edition casing but performs only in a straight line. Lean this tire on edge & it will quickly wash out most of the time. This unforgiving character makes it unacceptable for everyday trail riding. The rear match to this tire, the Dirt Master, has been excellent! I have been using a Team Control on the front with the Dirt Master in the rear with good results. I am still experimenting with front tires to find a favorite, but the Dirt Control definitely isn't in the running. Not enough knob width, too small a casing. Too bad, its rear mate is the best balance of traction/low rolling resistance I've found.