Specialized Crossroads ATB Tire Tire

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

From unpaved paths to the city streets, this Crossroads 26" tire performs reliably and consistently with a smooth center tread section and substantial side knobs for traction and off-road stability.

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    -Good all terrain tread design.
-Thick tread resists punctures

Weaknesses:    -Thin sidewalls
-Poor durability

Bottom Line:
My rear tire failed (seam between sidewall and bead split) after ~3 months commuting (9km/day). This was over the winter, in freezing conditions.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Aus

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth on-road. Grips off-road

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
These are the most amazing tyres I have ever used. I ride them everywhere and they have never given me even a moments hesitation downhill, they just grip. The only place I miss some grip is when cranking hard out the saddle up a steep hill. The continuous center tread just has nothing to grip with. Stay seated and you are off. Oh, and I have 1000km on them so far, it looks like they will be good for another 1500.

Similar Products Used:   you name it, 20 years of MTB tyres

Submitted by toolbear a Weekend Warrior from San Juan Islands

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Look, Ma! No flats.

Much of the year I ride paved urban bike trails. These are much quieter than knobbies on blacktop. Seem to be a bit faster. Gets me back into the "Whispering Death" mode (TCdA trail crew nickname for the roadies. When you hear the whizz, he is on top of you.)

Summer I get out. Just did eight states, seventeen rail trails, a week in Moab and assorted summmer riding and no flats. Lots of sharp pointy rocks up on The Wedge. Glass on streets. Lots of thin, sharp clam shell frags on the TT Trail (crows dig up clams, take flying, drop on the blacktop to open).

Colleague who commutes on the TT was getting a flat a week with knobbies. The shell bits would hit between knobs. The Xroads have a lot of rubber where it meets the road. It's like an armor belt.

The knobs on the edges seem to work in cornering. I remain ed with the bike all summer rather than ahead, astern or alongside. Not sure where I hit 30.4 on the River Mts. Loop, but thats what the GPS said. It was on a set of switchbacks and I was more worried about gravel in the turns than turn of speed. It was fun.

I took the Kendas along, just in case. Did not have to swap over. They are now in the attic.

Weaknesses:    Well, mud can be an issue. But I hate mud. Still getting the mud from the St. Paul Tunnel out of odd corners. Rain, others have addressed.

Bottom Line:
These Xroads seem to be doing the job in a dry mixed environment of road and trail. I am a Happy Camper.

Favorite Trail:   Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes

Purchased At:   Specialized - on lin

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kinetics (OEM)

Bike Setup:   Swiss Bike LX folding hardtail

Submitted by Zachary Abelardo a Weekend Warrior from Indio, California USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Very fast street tire, high pressure capability(up to 80lbs/psi), durable, strong plastic layer resists bullhead thorns easily- some glass resistance, acceptable trail grip.

Weaknesses:    Poor wet handling, aquaplanes easily.

Bottom Line:
This is my primary urban street tire. I ride alot of paved singletrack, and the tires roll fast and easy. However, the tires are virtually useless on trails with alot of thick, wet roots present. Forget muddy riding too. These tires are primarily designed for 80% street use and 20% hardpack trails. Any loose sand deeper than 3" will stop these tires cold. Also, wet riding on these tires is like riding on ice-with absolutely zero stability.....and you will fall down, unless traveling well below 10mph. That said- these quiet and incredibly fast tires are best ridden under the DRIEST of riding conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek, Idyllwild

Purchased At:   Palm Springs Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC; Kenda Nevegal.

Bike Setup:   2006 Trek 4900 Disk hardtail- Bone stock setup; Shimano, and Bontrager components.

Submitted by mAsalicio a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Quiet. Low rolling resistance. 35-80psi. Look good on satin black powder coated frame. No flats in three months so far.

Weaknesses:    I can not put these on my 1996 Norco Kokanee because it is dark metallic green and that would just look wrong with the red sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
These tires are super super quiet and could be renamed to StealthRoads. They grip very good unless you are going deep sand/gravel and or mud even at 35psi but I would not consider that a weakness as they are not a knobby aggressive tire. They work up to 35 to 80psi which leaves you lots of room for adjustment to suit where you are riding. I would say they are as close to an insurance policy as one can take out on a bike tire ha ha. I think these will be my default tire now and would like a set of the Roll X ones to replace my Kenda Kinetics for mudding because time fixing flats is time spent not riding. I should also note I have the green Slime tubes. Even they were not perfect, glass still took them out. Glass does not seem to be able to get past these tires. With the two combined I feel safe enough carrying one tube and a patch kit on long trips instead of 3 tubes. Saves me some weight and space which is also very nice.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Continental Traffic, Bontrager Connection Trail B, Kenda Kinetics, Maxxis Holy Rollers, Vee Rubber I forget what ones were stock norco a long time ago.

Bike Setup:   2007 Rocky Mountain Soul. Stock but Alivio cranks with bash guard, Easton carbon handle bars and comfy Bontrager Fit seat.