Specialized Crossroads Armadillo ATB Tire Tire

4.27/5 (15 Reviews)

From unpaved paths to the city streets, this Crossroads Armadillo 26" tire performs reliably and consistently with a smooth center tread section and substantial side knobs for traction and off-road stability. Reinforced against punctures with Specialized’s world-famous proprietary Armadillo armored casing.

Submitted by pat B

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2014

Strengths:    I have two of these tires. The rear tire is doing great, no issues. It is a heavy duty tire and I have had no flats over two years.

Weaknesses:    My front tire is another story. The tread is still near the original depth, but it is separating from the tire core. In spots is is almost completely off and I can lift an edge with my finger. In other areas you can see the tire web below the tread. I am an occasional weekend rider on the katy trail in MO and the creeper trail in VA. I keep my bike indoors and in good condition.

Bottom Line:
After paying almost what an auto tire costs for each of these tires, I'm really disappointed in the tire with the tread separation. Based on that experience, I cannot recommend this tire. I wish this review site allowed pictures to be posted... I would be happy to show the problem.

Submitted by Damian Montaño

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    Highly resistent to thorns.

Weaknesses:    It's perfect

Bottom Line:
It's the best bike tire I have seen.

Submitted by Anchorage Rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Strengths:    Never get flats, decent rolling resistance, very long tread life (at 8000 and still going...) in a commuting application, about 2000 miles a year. Wide pressure range tolerance. These tires are good for those that prioritize long life and flat resistance over weight - commuters, distance riders, tour leaders.

Weaknesses:    Significant investment initially, especially if you do both ends. But worth every dime!!!!! May be heavy for some apps but I ride for every reason but speed! The weight is not a bug, it's a feature for getting it off me! When the 10,000 grams are gone off me I might take a look at a tire that's a 100 grams lighter. Maybe not.

Bottom Line:
I got tired of flats or close calls. They are never convenient, just varying degrees of pain! Did some research, figured if the Armadillos's lived up to half of what was out there for reviews they would work. Got six from the LBS as I have three 29'ers. He gave me a discount for the bulk purchase, I got airline miles AND no more flats. Closest I have come is in Arizona where I had one slow leak from a thorn that managed to finally work it's way through. There I find that there is no such thing as too much thorn protection - I run the Armadillo's with Tuffy liners and Slime tubes. Seems to be the ticket; only have a couple of thousand miles around Phoenix and no fast flats. The only other thing left for the Southwest and other thorn places is to go to the thick, thorn resistant tubes. So far I don't feel the need to go that far. The other two bikes are Novara's, one a hybrid and one a road bike. The hybrid is a commuter with around 13,000 miles on it, mostly with the Armadillo's. Have had them long enough to not recall when I got them but do know there have not been any flats at all since and figure 4 years back. The tread is still good on the rear of the hybrid, may swap it out with the front later this year. The road bike was a handme down, use it a few times a year, particulary to do a hundred mile ride with a Scout troop in the summer. A bit heavy for that ride but again, no flats while many around me are fixing tires and I don't sweat gravel patches and root gardens. Have had no snake bites either; there was one stretch that was easy to get them. Can run a wide range of tire pressures, up to 90 for max performance, down to 50 or 60 works too. A bit squishy in the 50 range. I used to replace tires at two or three thousand miles or have to swap front to back at a minimum. And there was the flat issue - one spring I came home three times in a row with fast leaks. No more. So overall, worth every dime just in tire life alone, flat free, Priceless!

Favorite Trail:   Campbell Creek

Duration Product Used:   4 years +

Purchased At:   LBS, Bicycle Shop/Di

Similar Products Used:   None, have not had to replace them!

Bike Setup:   Novara XR 2005 29" Hybrid, goes out the door at ~45 lbs! Commuter.
Novara Steel Corsa 29'er road bike, ~ 32 lbs Age unknown, Steel kinda dates it.
Novara 2010 Aluminum Corsa 29er, ~ 30 lbs

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls over pavement so easy. Puncture proof, at least for me so far.

Weaknesses:    Only lasted 8000 miles, still have tread left but the rubber is cracking, pretty much like all tires eventually do.Otherwise no real weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I commute to work on my MTB, about 150 miles a week. In over 8000 miles I have had zero puncture flats. I did have 2 tubes blow, but both times it was on the rim side. Couple of reviews mentioned the weight so I just weighted mine, 959 grams. I much prefer going out and getting back flat free with a heavier tire than saving a little weight and end up patching a tire or having to walk miles. Heck, I weight over 90,880 grams, if I cared about the weight I'd loose some. Paid less that $90 for the new set, worth every penny.

Submitted by Dev9172 a Weekend Warrior from Toronto ont Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    A very nice tire . Ride well . No flats so far .

Weaknesses:    To much money in Canada . $60 for 1 . A bit heavy but not much . A bit more of a workout but I need that .

Bottom Line:
Im happy I got them . I was getting flats all the time . Let see how good they are over the summer .

Favorite Trail:   Beach

Purchased At:   Cycle Path Toronto

Bike Setup:   Norco FRX

Submitted by DOUGGR a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    These tires are bullet proof and ride well on hard surfaces.

Weaknesses:    Stiff ride as expected which transfers through to handle bars (better wear some good gloves).

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for if flat protection is what you want.

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills

Purchased At:   bike barn

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager H2 and H4 hard case also Schwabe marathon supreme

Bike Setup:   Top of the line Specialized stump jumper and Diamond Back Sorrento for bombing around the neighorhood.

Submitted by Wryfox a Weekend Warrior from Daytona Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2011

Strengths:    Changed from Bontrager offroad race tires due to 9 flats in 3 weeks. These armadillos have been perfect in the two months, not a blip or hiccup, and no damage in hundreds of miles. These will be long lasting as they still have virtually no wear. The Bontragers had chunks coming off the knobs within the first week.

A bit faster on the road with same effort by 1-2mph.

Weaknesses:    A bit stiff, and much heavier than their website advertises. These are the Elite version that are supposed to be lighter weight..advertised as 745g, mine were ~850g each.

These are not race tires by any means, and coming from race tires required an adjustment in riding technique. Better offroad grip than I would have thought from the tread pattern, spinning only on the steepest bits, and tends to plow on turns...a few skinned elbows taught me to slow down.

Bottom Line:
Great looks, a bit pricey at first at $60 each but zero flats in hundreds of miles of on and offroad riding. Still look like new. A great compromise tire for both on and offroad, and great flat protection.

Favorite Trail:   Deleon Springs

Purchased At:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.7

Submitted by tom scheelke a Cross Country Rider from Ephrata wa

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2011

Strengths:    Bullet proof

Bottom Line:
I have used these tires for years on my MTB commuter and a comfort bike. I have logged thousands of miles on trails, rocks, goat heads, glass, without a single flat.
One set I have over 3000 miles. The price is kind of high but at what price do you sit by the hwy fixing a flat? Walk you bike out of the woods because you dont have a pump?

No knobs in the center can be trouble on steep grades. But these aren't true mountain tires. Smooth on pavement.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   MTB Commuter

Submitted by saigonpaul a Weekend Warrior from weatherford, texas, usa

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth, Smooth, and the right price for NO FLATS!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
Crossroads Armadillo Tire are by far the best of the best. I go out of my way to ride "WHERE NO ONE WILL GO" and to date, NO FLATS!!!!!! I have them on the front and rear and there are no other tires backing me up. Come on guys, be real, you will never see the girl down the path, while you are fixing a flat!! On the pavement they are super with the BUMP BUMP BUMP of the knobs from the DIRT BIKE TIRES, just SMOOOOOOTH.

Favorite Trail:   triniry trails

Purchased At:   bicycles inc

Bike Setup:   TREK 6000 mostly stock, unless you count the new tires.

Submitted by ricecake7 a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Tough! Smooth rolling!

Weaknesses:    Heavy!

Bottom Line:
I got these because I was getting like two flats a week while riding to work (I hate goat heads!) and these puppies definitely stopped that. Heck I road through a patch of goat heads one day and had about a hundred stuck on my tires but just kept on riding without a problem! They really are tough! My problem with them is that they are really pretty dang heavy, like 900g or something. As soon as I put these on I instantly noticed how much heavier my bike felt. If only you could get the great protection without the weight!

Purchased At:   Mad dog bike shop, P

Bike Setup:   GT backwoods

Submitted by Leo dC a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, rolls fast, great for urban bikes.

Weaknesses:    Not entirely puncture proof.

Bottom Line:
Compared to the Nimbus, its not as fast but corners better. With the bigger tire, takes bumps and potholes much better that I take my bike deep into the dirt trails off the AR Bike Trail (until I found out it was illegal). I rolled over patches of goatheads. I pulled out maybe 50 of the goathead thorns with one nasty one that got through in a corner of a knob and pounded in. But it took me home, didn't discover the flat until the next day. Thanks to these tires, my comfort bike became a rough road tourer. I just hope my Nexus hub can take the load.

Favorite Trail:   American River Bike Traol

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nimbus Armadillo

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Circa 2.0 heavily modified from comfort to tourer.

Submitted by HaveBlue a Cross Country Rider from Centennial, CO

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Versatile; efficient tread pattern; puncture resistance

Weaknesses:    Low hum at speed on smooth surface

Bottom Line:
I purchased these tires for use on a commuter bike. I was attracted to the "Armadillo" puncture resistance and low rolling resistance on pavement. I was also looking for a tire that I could use on urban hardpack when necessary. I am very happy with these tires. The only drawback is a low hum on smooth surfaces (new concrete, new asphalt, etc). But, that can easily be overlooked for the versatility and ruggedness of this tire. The price could be a little better. But compared to, say, Shwalbe tires, these are a pretty good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Red Mesa Loop

Similar Products Used:   Continental

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC Comp

Submitted by commuterbiker a Weekend Warrior from Cedar City, UT, U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Fast tire, much better than the trail tires I had for commuting. Flat resistant. Good commuter tire.

Weaknesses:    A little pricey, but worth the extra

Bottom Line:
I usually don't write product reviews. But today I could hear some noise coming from my back tire on my way to work. I stopped and found a nail sticking directly out of my tire that I had been repeatedly running over for at least a hundred yards or so. I pulled the nail out and there was no flat, it did not make it through the tread. I was amazed that I could run a nail over that many times without a puncture.

A great tire. I just had to write a review after not having to change my tube today!

Favorite Trail:   blowhard

Purchased At:   Cedar Cycle

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 4500 stock

Submitted by Zachary a Weekend Warrior from Indio, California USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Easy mounting; fast; loves dirt trails; rain channels; rides over anything

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
The vast improvement in speed is worth noting. These tires are light, road-fast, and very strong. They can take on hardpack dirt trails like an XC tire does. Consider them the Michelin of bike tires!

Favorite Trail:   Idyllwild Trails