Specialized Compound Pro MTB Tire Tire

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

The fast round tread and dual compound makes this tire the best available for street, park and trail riding.

Submitted by RYANtaylor a Downhiller from marlborough

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2009

Strengths:    great in the summer for grip dont wear down fast brilliant all rounder i use mine for dirt jump and there great :D

Weaknesses:    not verry grippy in wet weather not too grippy on wet grass

Bottom Line:
GREAT TYERS

Favorite Trail:   bedwyn

Purchased At:   bertie mcphoons

Similar Products Used:   kenda tyers

Bike Setup:   scott voltage 24

Submitted by thecranker a Weekend Warrior from Irving, Tx

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth around corners low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    TOO Big and heavy. too expensive they werent stocked so I had to order them from the store.

Bottom Line:
I wanted street tires so I could ride my mountainbike around the city. My Hardrock stock mountainbike tires were a little unpredictable when cornering. So I got these. They are just too big and slow I think they are only useful for jumping. I am going to try one hemisphere tire on the front and keep the compound tire on the rear and see how that works. I liked how my stock mountain bike tires climbed better than these because they gripped well. These tires would be better at a smaller size or a less heavy framed bike. They look like motorcycle tires. They are not meant for speed.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hemisphere tires.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock 2008

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, smooth, & quiet. Grips in the corners & leans. Its round fat profile takes abuses. No puncture after riding a year in Tokyo.

Weaknesses:    - Scarcity. Even the Specialized dealers usually don't stock these. You gotta have them ordered or order yourself @Specialized.com and pay the full price, $80/pair.

- grooves are in place to provide nice grips and controls in the rain, but it grabs a lot & a lot of water and splashes at you. Fenders are definitely called for in the rain, or just don't ride.

Bottom Line:
These are the tires to have, if you want to:
- ride your XC MTB as XC and get your adrenalines up in the urban settings.

- roll fast & stop quickly.

- lean & curve on the pavement.

Round & smooth tread pattern allows me go fast enough to keep up with other autos. Yet their fat volume (2.2in) & the grip give me confidence in hopping on & off the curbs, riding up & down the stairs.

Although it takes up to 100psi, I usually kept them about 60psi for the good mix of speed & cushioning.

Favorite Trail:   Pavement

Purchased At:   specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   Knobby MTB tires are loud & slow on the streets, and they grip are unpredictable in the leans. Maxxix Hookworms are too heavy, if you want to pedal and go somewhere.

Bike Setup:   Full-Suspension XC bike (Santa Cruz Blur with Mavic CrossMax XL)

Submitted by croff cringle cringle a Downhiller from seattle

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    GRIPS SOOO good! the faster you go the better... dont wear down fast and even when they wear down they still grip good! dont flat tires even without 2casings lol

Weaknesses:    bad on grass lol... I wish they were .2 inches bigger!

Bottom Line:
I bought a p street and upgraded everything and I ran my bike brakeless.. the tires are sooo sick for street and skatepark and I never got a flat!!! they have never slipped out.. the only thing I dont like it that they are a kinda small size.. it took me about a day to get used to but it would be sooo sick to get them in a 2.2 ... they came in a 1.9 or 2.0 I dont remember but seriously the best tires I have tried!

Favorite Trail:   skatepark

Purchased At:   came on my bike

Similar Products Used:   hookworm, arrow launch, k rads...

Bike Setup:   p street shiver profiles atomlab and these tires aND BRAKELESS!

Submitted by Rome a Cross Country Rider from Everett WA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    Very smooth rolling, sticky compound, grips pavement and dirt alike! Quiet on the street.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This tire rocks on the street and the trail. I ran the World Cup mountainbike course on the island of Curacao in the Dutch West Indies. I rode my bike from Willemstad to the trails, ran the trails, and then back to Willemstad all on the same tires! These tires gripped the dirt, rocks, and coral like no other. I have since gone on to the newer Specialized Rhythm tires, but I still like these better. When my Rhythms wear out, I will certainly go back to these. They have since gone onto a bike I built up for a girl that means a lot to me!

Favorite Trail:   Whoopsie Woodle-Galbraith Mountain

Purchased At:   Bicycle Centers

Similar Products Used:   Continental 2.1/2.2 slick tires, Specialized Turbo S, Avocet Cross (back in the day!!)

Bike Setup:   Was setup on my 05 Access XCL as a singlespeed.

Submitted by Jonathan Hunt a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, MA USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Strengths:    Fast Rolling, High Pressure, they seem really durable

Weaknesses:    The pick up and hold little pebbles that make the tires noisy. High price. They seem heavy compared to my other tires.

Bottom Line:
I tried these tires for about 6 weeks and at first I really liked them. They are fast rolling and good looking. The last thing I wanted to do was put skinny tires on a MTB to ride on the road.
The problem is that they pick up and hold little pebbles in the tread that add to the noise the tire makes when riding on the road. It's really annoying to spend 10 minutes after every ride prying out the pebbles that get stuck in the tread.
I wouldn't recommend these tires to anyone unless you don't mind picking little pebbles out of the tread all the time.

Purchased At:   Specialized Web Site

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, I ride mostly on the road.