Specialized Chunder Pro Tire Tire

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)

This versatile DH tire suits riders seeking a durable, all-condition tread and tough sidewall construction for long days of lift-accessed gravity riding.

Submitted by BigHitChris a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip, especially on dry conditions, handles the rocks and roots well and havent got a puncture on them yet!

Weaknesses:    Really slippy in the wet. If possible use other tyres in the wet conditions. As soon as it gets muddy, the treads are clogged up and you have no grip

Bottom Line:
Fast rolling, grippy tyres on relatively dry conditions. When it gets muddy get some better tyres on!

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Got with big hit

Submitted by chocolatefoot a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    Great aggressive all rounder. Not the lightest out there, and maybe not as tacky as the Super Tacky Maxxis compounds, but grippy in a wide variety of conditions, very predictable, and excellent cornering bite traction. I fully expected to get rid of them on ride #1 and swap them for some High Roller Super Tackys but now I'm looking for another set of these.

Bottom Line:
Great aggressive all rounder.

Favorite Trail:   The next one

Purchased At:   Came with a wheelset

Similar Products Used:   High Rollers mostly, Minions, various others.

Bike Setup:   Chromag Stylus hardtail

Submitted by mtbkid15 a Downhiller from Arizona

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    awesome grip, thick sidewall, sticks

Bottom Line:
These are probably the best tires I have ever ridden. So smooth and they have great grip in very loose corners, sand slick-rock pretty much anything you throw at them. Great fr/dh tire because they stick so good on landings.

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps and drops

Purchased At:   my shop

Similar Products Used:   Marzochi tires, wtb timberwolves

Bike Setup:   '06 Iron Horse 7point3, '08 66 RC3, '08 Rocco WC, King iso hubs

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from BC

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Solid with good grip in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Limited grip in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
Fine tire when it's dry... use something else for the wet.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minion DHF 3C, Kenda Nevegal Stick-E.

Bike Setup:   SX Trail

Submitted by go-ride from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2007

Strengths:    This review is for the new '08 Chunder Control 2.2 2bliss tire.

Great grip on the rocks. As a front tire it holds a high speed line with great confidence. Big volume tire for a 2.2 (like most knobby Specialized tires I've tried)

Weaknesses:    Maybe not a great roller. This is compared to my worn down Conti Vert Pro 2.35 tire that I had on the rear. This is not really a weakness, it just is what it is. My Conti seems to have harder rubber, plus is was worn down so I do notice a difference in effort needed to get up the short steeps.

Bottom Line:
I run these both front and back now at 30psi. A bit more of a challenge effort wise on the ups but the rear traction is great. The type of riding I do i the Phoenix area means I'll gladly give up a bit of rolling resistance for a sure footed tire. This fits that bill.

I was running a 2bliss 2.4 Enduro on front but this tire scared the crap out of me on the way off camber slick rock areas of Moab, like Bartlett wash. So I thought I'd lood for something with a slightly more rounded profie and just a bit smaller volume. This Chunder works for that. I liked it so much that I went back the next day to get one for the rear. Tire holds a line very well at speed on loose over hardpack, which is all I ride locally. It's smaller than the Enduro but big enough. In fact it is every bit as big as the 2.3 Conti is replaced on the rear.

I think this 'Chunder Contro' is a scaled down version of the d/h Chunder tire. If you're looking for a big knobbied tire thats not 'too big', this might work for you.

I'm a little worried about the sidewalls as they seem thin. I ride extremely rocky trails, but so far so good!

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Many knobbie tires not meant for speed. Nevegal, the Vert, Enduro 2.4 ust, etc.

Bike Setup:   All mountain set up, whatever that means.

Submitted by kbw a Cross Country Rider from sj,ca

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2007

Strengths:    meaty treads, roll well, hook up

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
was using IRC claw comp on rear. Probably my favorite rear tire ever. The Chunder Control, which i am told replaced the Pro, is a very generous 2.2. I rolls well on pavment and hard pack and was nice match in cornering to my 2.4 WTB Mutano in the front. I am running Mavic 223s and it got a bit squirmy when under inflated, but that is to be expected with a narrow rim. In a perfect world I would ask for slightly less volume and the same knob height.

Favorite Trail:   any that go up and down

Purchased At:   LBS-Trailhead

Similar Products Used:   WTB, IRC, Conti, Onza, Trek, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   00 FSR xc, x-link, bombers, a push'ed r3 (awesome) and lots of other goodies

Submitted by Ron Ekas a Cross Country Rider from Glen Ellen, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Tough side walls, super thorn proof with just tire liners, long lasting tread, rugged beefy tire. This is by far the best tire I have used on my bike so far. I usually use Stans NoTubes, but with this tire I'm just running liners because they are really that tough! And OMG I have completely fallen in love with them. They rides so well. I paid just under $60 scones to have a pair delived to my door off of Ebay. They are 60 ply and heavy duty. They did add to the weight of my bike ride a bit, but well worth it.

Weaknesses:    They are heavy ply tires that weigh a bit. I don't know if I would really even call that a weakness though.

Bottom Line:
The best tire I have ridden around on so far. WTG Specialized! The Chunder spews like no other.

Favorite Trail:   It's my secret

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Resolution Pro, Serfas Burners, Specialized Fast Trak Pro...Nothing compares to this Chunder tire.

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Stamford, CT

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Super long Wear, Aggressive side nobs, and strong side walls

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
LONG WEAR TIME. I rode this tire in the beginning of 06 around philly (mostly urban) with occasional trips to the Whis (trails) and these dominated on pavement and stairs. I rode mostly urban until late spring until diablo opened then rode there almost every other weekend. Tires held up. Prevented flats better than the minions. During the fall i rode mostly flat cross country-ish trails and still gripping well. Now, finally the rear tire is in need or replacing. The front, however, still has considerable knobbage and is moving to the back. (i admit that i skid a little)

Anyways, these tires last a very very long time (blows the mobster away) has the strength of the minions, and a similar feel to nevegals just a little quieter. Very little rolling resistance on the dirt. On the pavement however... like most knobbies, it'll be a workout.

5 out of 5 for these beuts