Specialized Captain S-Works Tire

• Shoulder Compound: 60a
  • PSI: 35-65

Submitted by thumper07

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Strengths:    Cornering, climbing, dry sand, hard pack, loose coral rock/gravel

Weaknesses:    None found yet, although possibly the sidewall strength. From what I've read anyway.

Bottom Line:
I was always the guy who chose minimal rolling resistance and light weight over traction, because I always thought that's what I needed to be fast. Low rolling resistance + low weight = win races. I spent a great deal of time practicing and trying to learn how to corner my 200 pound (all muscle) body at race speed with minimalist tires. After years of trying this, and crashing a lot, I finally came to the realization that cornering grip is more important than weight. To an extent, of course. So, I after some research, I bought these tires. I'm a pretty fast guy but believe that I slow myself down for every turn. Enough so it lowers my average speed and lap times. Last night I rode these tires for tubeless for the first time, and I must say "WOW"! I was shocked at how I was able to keep my fast speed through nearly every turn without touching the brakes one bit. My average miles per hour on this particular course went from 10.4 to 10.6, the first ride. And I still braked at many of the turns because I didn't know exactly what the limits of this tire were. I kept pushing and pushing and was not able to get the tires to slide at any corner. I am confident that with a bit more practice these tires will help me reach my next level of speed. I am truly sold on traction over weight and will never return to a Fastrak typed tire again.

Submitted by Tim a Racer

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2013

Strengths:    Fast,light,hold well in most condition

Bottom Line:
I have raced the captain in both the 26 and the 29 versions over the past 4 seasons to age group championships. (MN)I also have used them in vacation freerides in OR, CO and CA. They are light, fast rollers with an aggressive tread pattern that holds the trail in most conditions. They set up quickly for tubless on stans rims. I typically get adout 600 miles on them before change out. This is one of the best all around tires available.

Similar Products Used:   6's, 8's and maxxis

Bike Setup:   Specialized epic 29

Submitted by Nick

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Not grippy, corners horribly, doesn't shed anything

Bottom Line:
Bought a Stumpjumper FSR and these tires were on it. First ride the tires were slipping everywhere once in the trail but rolled well on the road while biking to the trails. Set the bike up more to my liking and the tires seem to work a little better but still not well. The end of the trail had some wet sand and the tire clogged to the point that you couldn't see rubber any longer. (my weirwolfs never did this on my last bike) Rode ten kilometers home on the road with a spot where I reach speed around 50km/hr and the tires were still clogged with sand showing a bit of tread when I got home.
Terrible tire

Submitted by Ozgur Butuner

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2013

Strengths:    Extremely gripping dual compound, ride comfort, low rolling resistance @ 50psi, noisy on flats.
Unbelievable wet braking...

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls, but if you have good timing to unweight your tyres, it won't bite you.

Bottom Line:
Im in love with that tyres, sorry :)

Submitted by Cody a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Fast.

Weaknesses:    Bad grip on turns/angles. Difficult to make tubeless. Waaaay to much $$$ for the quality.

Bottom Line:
Very hard to make tubeless (I could not do it in 2 hours, bike shop could not do it in 2 more hours... replaced tire with Kenda Nevegal which went tubeless in less than 2 minutes). I've had the tire slide out on tight turns (not with the Kenda) and I've had the tire slide out on angled banks (again, not the Kenda). If you notice the people who race, they do not race this tire. My guess, slides out too much.

Cost is too much. S-works makes great bikes, seats, shoes, and helmets... but not tires. I would not suggest this tire to anyone.

Best tire in the world --> Depends on where you live/what terrain you ride. Go talk to some guys who go out locally and find out which tires they've used, which they like best... and you probably want a different front tire from rear. I'm using Kenda Nevegal front and Kenda Slant Six on rear for my terrain, which is dirt, lil mud, some sand, lots of roots, quite a few rocks.... works great in this environment.

Similar Products Used:   Michillan Wild Gripper lite, Kenda Nevegal, Kenda slant 6, CST comp Cheyenne

Bike Setup:   Specialized epic FSR elite with Brain.

Submitted by Hempress a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction on everything except wet roots, Great Cornering ability, Rolls pretty fast, In short everything you want in a tire.

Weaknesses:    Not the best in sand but what tire is?

Bottom Line:
I have the control casing of this tire. I am also coming from Specialized's Fast Trak which is a pure xc race/ hardpack tire so take that into account. I actually found that I was faster with this tire front and rear because I could pedal out of the saddle w/o worrying about spinning out. Going up gravel strewn hills this things will spin for 1/2 a second and then find traction again. The cornering is terrific. The casing has suffered a few punctures but I was riding in an area where sharp, metal pieces are probably the culprit. As for trail related hits I've never been disappointed. For XC-light trail this tire rocks, I will probably get another set after this one wears out.

Favorite Trail:   Vasa Singletrack

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Hardrock, clipless pedals

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Good wear, had no issues with sidewalls at all. I probably run a bit more air pressure than most though. Very light. Really like it on the rear. Very fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Didn't like the tire at all as a front. Price is higher than comparable tires too.

Bottom Line:
Had very good luck with the tire when used as a rear. Didn't like it at all as a front. Got around 1000 miles out of the rear, pretty much rode it down to nothing. Never had any issue with sidewalls and all the areas I ride are very rocky. Good tire but I've found a few I like better for less money.

Submitted by s paul a All Mountain Rider from herts uk

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    tread seemed ok to start with

Weaknesses:    sidewall thin and cracks. keeps blowing holes andv punctures

Bottom Line:
dont buy these tyres

Favorite Trail:   chiltern hills

Submitted by Hal a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, weight, rolling resistance, tubliss

Weaknesses:    Sidewall sucks!

Bottom Line:
I've enjoyed these tires until today. I recently switched the front over to tubliss. It took a while to seal the sidewalls, but they finally did. Today, as I went down a steep section of slickrock that went level at the bottom I watched in disbelief as the sidewall blew out at the bottom of the rock. I was going slow, weight back, not on the front brake so as not to endo too! There was no abrasion. No puncture. The sidewall literally just popped like a balloon. And the stans was never able to seal the hole.

After walking (hoping it would seal) and pumping it up 3 times I gave up and put in a tube.

After mountain biking for almost 25 years including many trips on that same trail with tubed Panaracers I've NEVER blown a sidewall. Yeah, it's light, but that's unsat!

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Purchased At:   Bicycle Experience

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer stuff forever

Bike Setup:   Epic Comp 29 w/ stans

Submitted by jetta2010 a Cross Country Rider from buffalo ny

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    great tire. no flats yet and handles well in wet and dry.

Bottom Line:
not sure why folks have flat issue. Ive certainly but this tire against rocks and not had any issues. run 38-40 psi.

Favorite Trail:   sprague brook

Purchased At:   handlebars

Similar Products Used:   velociraptors

Bike Setup:   hard tail 27 speed

Submitted by subcoco a Cross Country Rider from mission viejo

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    Lot of traction on paved road

Weaknesses:    Sidewall, got flat tire on dirt trail everytime.

Bottom Line:
Made a big mistake purchaing the Specialized Captain S work to replace my 10 years old Kenda tire. The Captain S work gave me flat tire almost immediately on the dirt road the first day riding it(part of the trail is dirt road). Fixed the flat tire and only got another flat the next day. Fixed the flat tire again and got another flat the day after that. I did google the tire and realized this tire is known for weak sidewall that has lot of negative reviews because of the flat that riders experienced with this tire. Brought tire back to the store luckily the agreed to replace the captain swork with another pair of my choice since I have only got this tire for a week. I selected the Panaracer XC pro tire since this tire has good reviews and can resist dirtroad with sharp rocks.... I have not gotten any flat tire with the Panaracer XC pro since then not to mention I crossed my bike on that dirtroad many times now with the panaracer XC pro tires.

Favorite Trail:   oso trail

Purchased At:   Local Bike store

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer XC pro

Submitted by not-real-fast a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    The high thread count and thin rubber of the S-Works casing provide for very light weight and wonderfully low rolling resistance.
The Captain tread pattern has incredible lateral traction; it goes where you point it.

Weaknesses:    None really.
Just a few words regarding price.
At 65 bucks each, these are expensive!
But it easily made my bike $65 better, so it's hard to complain.

Bottom Line:
I had a tendency to push the front out in fast turns.
So I needed a front tire with more lateral traction.
Conventional wisdom has you choose between speed and control.
But this tire gives me the best of both worlds.

Yes, the sidewalls are thin and fragile.
(I don't even let the scrub brush touch them.)
But it's the tradeoff for light weight and low rolling resistance.
It's a cross-country tire.

I recommended The Captain to my brother and to Mrs. not-real-fast.
They run it in the more durable and less expensive Control casing.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills, Eagan, MN (it's where I get to ride most often)

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sports, Roch

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works FastTrak LK
Bontrager Jones AC
Continental Leader Pro
Many others

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
Completely stock except I replaced the front FastTrak LK with The Captain.
35 psi front and rear.

Submitted by Bart a Racer from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    excellent traction

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are a disappointment. Ridden these tires about 700 miles in the 4 months of riding conditions. Terrain they have encountered are; Lumberjack 100 in MIchigan - excellent for the sand based trails, Iowa trails-very nice grip for dry and wet conditions. Kansas City trails - good grip but they took their toll there. Got home and the sidewalls showed threading. The next time out, two sidewall punctures and a hike-a-bike experience. For the record, I tend to run 40 lbs.with tubes. I've read other posts, and I agree that these tires are light, fast, grip like crazy glue, but if you're looking for a tire to last more than half a season, this is the tire for you.

Bottom Line:
I will be buying a new set of tires this week and will be looking for a bit more rubber on the sidewalls. I am not a rider who needs to save a few ounces on their tires. If that was a concern, I would have one less beer after a long ride. Love the dirt...and stay out of the ivy.

Favorite Trail:   All single track