Specialized Butcher DH Tire

• Casing: 60 TPI, dual ply
  • Pinch Protection: Butyl inserts at bead

Submitted by ILOJ

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent grip in multiple conditions

Weaknesses:    None that I've found yet

Bottom Line:
I rode the Butcher DH 2.3's for 3 days at Whistler on 2 demo bikes (Status and Demo 8) and was really impressed with these tires. Conditions were dry to very wet (solid rain for the 3rd day) and the Butchers gripped to everything, wet berms to wet rocks. Definitely inspires confidence to ride hard and fast in dry to wet conditions. The soft 42 knobs on top of firm 70 base seemed to work very well. Sidewalls held up nice and firm while soft knobs gripped. I'm not sure what pressure these were at, but I thought I would need to lower the pressure on the wet days to get the grip on rock, but didn't need to. The pressure was probably higher than I would normally ride on some of my other tires - but these did great at the higher pressure - which is a good thing - in my opinion, the higher the pressure you can ride without loosing grip and small bump compliance, the better for lowering rolling resistance and maintaining firm sidewalls for stability and avoidance of pinch flats. I would definitely recommend these for a downhill rig.

Submitted by Spdu4ia a Downhiller from Colorado Springs , CO , USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    Sticky, cheaper than a DHF , cornering

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I have ridden Kenda Nevegals for a while because I had them, I then switched to a Maxxis DHF because of all the hype. It is a great tire but I never felt really confident with it. I recently tried the Butcher as a recomendation from a friend and I have to say it looks almost Identical to the DHF. It is true to size though. Unlike the maxxis the Butcher 2.5 is a real 2.5. It has a hard base and soft top compound so it is predictable in the corners and has great feedback and feel. Don't know about how long it will last but seems to be holding up really well. It was also $20 cheaper than the DHF.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis DHF , Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Norco DH

Submitted by chuck1541 a Downhiller from Honolulu, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2011

Strengths:    Very good traction both uphill and down. Never had a tire trck like this one. Dual compound for tread life. I use it as a rear tire 2.5 widthe with a Clutch front 2.3 and it climbs like crazy. Has great control downhill. Works great in loose gravel, Mud even good on hardpack.

Weaknesses:    Havent found any at all.

Bottom Line:
Great tire will replace with same.

Favorite Trail:   Royal Summit