Specialized 05 Compound Pro Tire Tire

The fast round tread and dual compound makes this tire the best available for street, park and trail riding when money's no object and winning is

Submitted by seafarinman a Cross Country Rider from Port Orchard, WA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Super lightweight and sticky, fast rolling. Ran it in Socal on some fast downhill fireroads and freaked people out that I was running a rigid singlespeed with slicks?? on the trails.

Weaknesses:    Price. They are not cheap but are still worth the money.

Bottom Line:
Best tire out there for street and trail. Not a downhill tire but it worked great for me!

Favorite Trail:   Whoopsie Woodle

Purchased At:   bike shop

Bike Setup:   2000 Supergo Access Titanium frame with Fetish carbon fiber fork, Chris King Rasta headset, carbon fiber riser bar, titanium seatpost and stem, vintage Kooka cranks, 38/18 single speed gear, Ringle red aluminum bottle cage, and Badass Head Tube Badge's Screaming Skull headbadge.

Submitted by SmileBMXing a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    Very smooth ride, grippy on the roads and parks and with over 100 miles on it, I still have more than half my tread left.. With the 125 PSI, I'm able to go bigger and do more tricks.

Weaknesses:    None that Ive found yet

Bottom Line:
This tire is amazing. Its the best tire I have ever owned. Period. With over 100 miles, 50+ hours at the skate parks, this tire had over half the tread left.. And since its 125 PSI, I put it as my back tire and it grips amazingly on those slippery concrete bowls and everything at the parks. When I do a 360, it catches perfectly well, when I do a grind or a stall, it doesn't tear on the sides like other tires due to the wrap around tread. Bottom line, I absolutely LOVE this tire and recommend this tire to anybody who is into a smooth, grippy reliable tire that's good at taking hard hits and can still go.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   Friend, still brand

Similar Products Used:   Several types of tires, Primo, Odyssey, and even Maxxis (the hookworm is a very nice tire)

Bike Setup:   I ride BMX, not MTB but still gotta post a review on this amazing tire.. I have a Haro Forum, all stock parts besides seat, bars, and tires.. Front tire is a Primo the Wall, back is the Specialized Compound.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Flower Mound, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Strengths:    Good Roll, Good Corners

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
Very Fast, Quiet

Purchased At:   Specialized Online

Similar Products Used:   First No Tread

Bike Setup:   Scale 20

Submitted by Owen R. a Downhiller from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2005

Strengths:    This is an awesome street tire. The sidewalls are steel-stiff and the high PSI capability really knocks down the rolling resistance. I just set up my trusty old '99 Rockhopper for bombing the streets of San Francsico, and these babies roll FAST. I started out with some not so aggressive MTB tires, and when I switched to these--wow, talk about a world of difference. They stick like hell in the corners and they are tough enough for some jumping and romps through Golden Gate Park. They really help flatten out the death-march hills in the City and let me get some serious speed on the way down. I LOVE these tires!

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
People, these tires rock. They are tough tires and have just enough tread to get you through some light trail action. Since they are 2.2's they won't get you into trouble on the railroad tracks either. (We have tons of them in SF) Sure, you will pay more than $60 for a set, but it is well worth it. These are not your average wussy slicks. Finally, I can keep up with all of the road bikers out here without ditching the mountain bike. If you want some fast, versatile road tires, the Compound Pro ATB is it.

Favorite Trail:   mailbox @Santa Cruz Demo

Purchased At:   Nomad Cyclery, San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   First road tire I ever tried.

Bike Setup:   '99 Rockhopper A1 Comp, Avid BB Disc Brakes, Brake Therapy Adapter, LX/XT components.

Submitted by Dom a Cross Country Rider from Burbank, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2005

Strengths:    Very fast, sticky tire. GREAT for cornering and will handle some dirt

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm? I guess only the price. At $35/tire you could almost put new treads on your car. (Okay I'm exaggerating, but they're still not cheap). With a purposely softer tread it will be interesting to see how much life I get out of them.

Bottom Line:
I'd more accurately describe my riding as "Lite Urban Cross Country" in that I spend most of my rides on pavement, steps, occasionally grass and even less often dirt.

The stock Kenda Krushers were good on trails but obviously very slow on pavement. Had the ATB Compound Pros mounted on Alex DP-20 rims and it was like upgrading from a 4 cyclinder to a V6. Just from the standpoint of rolling resistance the bike travels so much quicker than before. Then there is cornering...

Obviously stock MTB tires are meant for trails, etc. Needless to say, even with only mild lean, I always felt tentative riding the Kendas on pavement. With the ATBs cornering is now a delight. They are responsive and laser accurate as to where you point them. They also seem to hold air well.

So far as I can tell they perform well on wet pavement and will get you through short grass on a hard surface if you stay in a low gear. They also negotiate packed dirt fine, but obviously are not intended for loose surfaces. You might train your eye on the Specialized Rhythm which has a slightly more agressive tread if you do want to venture into the dirt from time to time.

I will definitely buy these tires again or possibly the Rhythms which are based on the same design as the ATBs. If you are a urban MTB'r like me you will love these tires!

Favorite Trail:   Any Root Fractured Pavement

Purchased At:   Specialized website

Similar Products Used:   There's nothing else on the market like these

Bike Setup:   IBEX Ignition 2; Marzocchi MZ Comp fork; Shimano shifter and drive train (...wait, just check the Igntition 2 reviews for the components!!!)

Submitted by Chuck Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Estero, Florida U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    High Pressure for low rolling resistence; good tread for hard pack and grassy terrain; tread is a good compromise for street use; big beaffy tires for supporting big loads; great look.

Weaknesses:    Not available as an Armadillo unit; Flak Jacket only - but this is still great to have.

Bottom Line:
These tires are great! I have been riding mostly on Tioga City Slickers since 1990, but I have also had a set of Schwalbe Moto’s. Both of those are low pressure tires. The Compound Pro’s have a very high pressure rating, which is great for reducing rolling resistance on pavement and hard pack. There is a noticeable decrease in pedaling effort on pavement versus my old Tioga’s, despite having some decent tread. Hard pack performance is very respectable because of it. Cornering on pavement is terrific; these things really grab, and I feel more confident leaning in hard. Commuters should like them for the Flak Jacket protection, low rolling resistance, and for having some tread to handle dirt and sand on roads (I commute to work often, and have been looking for these attributes.) Then, on weekends, they are perfect for trails that are not too muddy or loose. (Serious trail riders should opt for tires with real trail tread, though.) These are also great for carrying big loads; both me and my gear for work!

Favorite Trail:   El Yunque

Purchased At:   Naples Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Tioga City Slicker; Schwalbe Moto.

Bike Setup:   Frankenstein: Specialized M5 HT; Marzocchi Bomber; SRAM XO and Truvativ components; Avenir Brahma Bar; Avid 8" mechanical discs; 1 Clydesdale engine.

Submitted by Mike Weber a Weekend Warrior from Eastlake, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    The Specialized 05 Fast Trak Pro Dual Compound 2.0 is a great tire, high rolling, great cornering, very light weight 550gm. A great performance level tire.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find!

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly Med-level trails with some steep hills and rough areas. My bike (Stumpjumper Pro) has been such a great performer all these years, I've had other makes but this one is it! It's a hard-tail but with the "New Tires" it just feels like a wonderful ride with Confidence.

Favorite Trail:   many