Specialized 04 Roll X Sport Tire Tire

2.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Our most affordable Roll X model. All condition XC tire for fun and function. If you need one tire to do it all in an affordable package, this is it. Flak Jacket puncture protection.

Submitted by Mdbarbus from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    They seem to roll fast and accelerate easily.

Weaknesses:    The front tire does not corner well in soft or loose gravel or sand. I would like to try this out in a 2.3 or more, but Specialized only manufactures it in the 2.0 unless you want the tubeless version.

Bottom Line:
I like this tire on the back of my bike but it does not have enough bite on the front. I do not feel very stable when really pushing this tire into the corners. I tend to break this tire loose more than some other front tires that I have used over the years. These feel good on the back though and I will continue to use them on trails that are hard pack and not very technical.

Favorite Trail:   I like them all

Similar Products Used:   Trailbear, Tioga Factory DH, Fire XC Pro, Hansventure

Bike Setup:   All Mountain & Agressive XC

Submitted by Milos a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA / Ostrava, Czech Rep

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Sticks to the ground - every corner, rock, root, sand ...

Weaknesses:    With this grip, could be narrower

Bottom Line:
Not sure how the thread wear will be. So far verry sattisfied. I have replaced my Hutch. Scorpion (punched on first ride) and put the Roll-X on the front wheel. While the front wheel was glued to the ground in every corner my rear wheel with Hutch was all over the trail. I am going to get another Rollex next time I go around bike store...

Favorite Trail:   Noble Knob, Devil's Gulch

Purchased At:   Gregg's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   ZMax, IRC Mythos XC K, Hutchinson Scorpion,

Bike Setup:   Mrazek XT/XTR, Skareb Super

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Redding, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Rolls fairly well (80psi max pressure is great for fireroads)

Weaknesses:    Climbing grip is a little below average, cornering grip is very, very low.

Bottom Line:
Good tire if you ride non-technical stuff. Rolls pretty well despite being well over the advertised 2.0"

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   various offerings from WTB, kenda, specialized, and michelin

Bike Setup:   04 fsr-xc

Submitted by Roger Godwin a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    Very low rolling resistance, fast, and climbs fairly well.

Weaknesses:    Nothing in the corner at all on dry (but loose)conditions. Also, slip and slides on roots that run across the trail.

Bottom Line:
These tires came with my FSR-XC Pro and are awesome if you want more speed on the trail. However, you spend too much time controlling your speed in the corners because if you don't the tires will not hold you...I will quote Freddy Mercury "Another One Bites the Dust". Maybe it is my size...I am 220lbs and it would take a tractor tire to actually hold me in the corner ;)

Favorite Trail:   Cadillac

Purchased At:   Higher Ground Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Pro & Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock 2004 Specialized FSR XC Pro

Submitted by Mal Johnston a Cross Country Rider from Alice Springs

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2005

Weaknesses:    Very average tyre. Not good grip in the corners. Not good wearing. Not happy overall with these 2.0 tyres.

Bottom Line:
Unhappy with this tyres perfomance overall.
They came with the bike and I will be looking for something not 'specialized' to replace them.

Favorite Trail:   Kurrajong Drive

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Specialized, Duel susser, Stumpjumper. Rock Shox Reba up front, standard everything else.

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Warwick, RI

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    They seem to stick to the road pretty well, and have lots of knobbys for grip

Weaknesses:    Short Tread life, mud and dirt clumps up on the tire when on the trails, Heavy, and loud on pavement

Bottom Line:
I didn't like these tires because of the tread life, the wear they had on pavement and the noise. They seemed to really stick to the road on fast corners with all the knobbys. I would not recommend these tires!!!! Get some specialized Hemisphere EX tire slicks for more pavement riding.

Favorite Trail:   Many diffrent ones!!!

Purchased At:   Casters Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Many different tires can't name them!!! too many

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Lakeville, MN

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    Seem to shed mud fairly well...

Weaknesses:    These tires are not my favorites by far. They come stock w/the '04 r'hopper and perform sub-par off-road. They don't grip very well into corners (especially the front), nor do they have very good biting ability when hitting softer spots. I too would have thought Specialized could make a better tire, especially for their bikes that are geared for more serious riders.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line for these tires is I have just left them on for the mean time, but I will be replacing them with next season's riding with some higher quality tires.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Z-MAX SC, Panaracer

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Pluckemin, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004

Strengths:    All around tread, flak jacket, not too fat, not too skinny.
BTW, they are 2.0 inches regardless of what others may say.

Weaknesses:    not sure, haven't had them that long

Bottom Line:
I've ridden my bike on roads, across fields, wet & rocky trails, across streams, thru mud, loose dirt & gravel, up very steep hills, even around some turns. Guess what - the tires work well in all conditions that I have experienced so far. As I am a beginning MTB'er, I am not doing anything very extreme, other than tear-assing down a rutted powerline trail or two, so maybe they are not the greatest, but they seem pretty good to me. So far little or no wear showing with about 20 miles on them. Since I haven't had experience with other brands, I'll go a little conservative with my rating 8^)

Favorite Trail:   powerline trail

Purchased At:   Marty's Morristown

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my 1st mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Bought my '04 Rockhopper last week. Put 55 lbs pressure in tires (i'm about 200 lbs).

Submitted by Chris from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Cool logo on side.

Weaknesses:    Horrible traction in almost any conditions. Quick wear. Way too wide.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my 04 Rockhopper. I don't see how Specialized, a pretty reputable manufacturer, would manufacture and equip tires like these! Someone stated they should change the name Roll-X to Wash-Out -- I agree!

First, they don't hold well in cornering. My bike washed out so many times when cornering in loose rocks for seemingly no reason at all while using these tires. Also, they seemed particularly prone to slipping while going up hills. To be fair, I don't recall having problems while riding in muddy conditions, though I don't ride in the mud a lot.

Second, they were well worn in less than three months of riding 2-4 times a week. I don't know how long they should last, but a friend of mine who bought her bike the same day as me and rides with me almost every time I go, has about 90% of tred left on her Bontrager tires (plus she's never had wash out problems).

Third, there is no way these are 2.0 width! They are fatter than the Mythos 2.10 by at least half an inch.

Bottom line is that they tires fail in the two most important categories for me: traction and tred life. With the tred width, I don't see how these can have low rolling resistance (though I could be wrong), so I'm not sure what they would be good for. I don't recommend anyone wasting their money on these. If you get them stock, you might consider changing before doing serious mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Valley

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC front and rear.

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Rockhopper with SPDs.