Specialized 04 Roll X Pro Traction Tire Tire

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Pro level version of our Roll X all condition XC tire that incorporates the Roll X S-Works features in a package specifically designed to provide the ultimate traction and at a lower price

Submitted by Micka a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Pretty light for a decent size tire (weighed them at 580g & 595g)
Stick to the trail well

Weaknesses:    Possible durability issues - fast wearing by the looks of it, but thats a compromise for excellent grip
Performance in marbles not great

Bottom Line:
The trails I ride are dry and dusty with sections (on hills generally) of 1-2cm sized marbles. In the dustbowl and hardpack conditions these tires are excellent. Cornering in these conditions is on rails (due to the soft compound - softest tires I have used).
When in the marbles they do not feel anywhere near as secure or confident - this is likely due to the somewhat small knob height. The tire is not horrible in these conditions, just not at the same level as its dust/hardpack performance. But them again, what tires perform exceptionally when riding up hill on marbles?
This is the first tire that I have liked in years. The only other ones I liked were the vertical 2.3 and enduro 2.2 when I was still on a hardtail riding on much rougher & rock ridden trails than what I do these days.
I think I might get a set of the cheaper versions to use all the time and slap on the soft compound kevlar ones for racing.

Favorite Trail:   Three Hills Singletrack, Nerang

Purchased At:   Classifides - bloke swapped them off a new bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma L3R 2.0; Specialized Enduro Sport 2.2, Rockster 2.0; Conti Vertical 2.3, Explorer 2.1, Twister 2.1; Intense CC 2.3; Pythons; Michelin Wildgripper 1.95

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, XT Group, Easton MonkeyLite XC bars, EA50 stem & post, '04 TALAS RLC

Submitted by Raymond a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    great rolling and traction when new

Weaknesses:    wear quick and consequently lose traction

Bottom Line:
Good tire when new but knobs seem to wear rather quickly
due to the softer compounds for traction. Wore the back tire out in a few months,and had problems [slick]in the damp and wet stuff. Bought a second to replace it and had same result. It is a good tire for those who can afford to replace it more frequently than most other tires, or where dry and damp conditions are not on the same trail.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   WTB velociraptor, panaracer fire, conti's, ritchey zmax

Bike Setup:   cannondale jekyl

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    low rolling resistance, great traction, high volume casing adds a little extra cushion and floats over sand.

Weaknesses:    price and availability

Bottom Line:
Wow, these are my new favorite tires. Like some of the reviewers below, I really loved the Fire XCs (a great weekend warrior tire), but I thought I would try the roll x due to the reviews in MBA. When I first tried these I didnt think they rolled any faster than the fire xc, but then I realized I have been consistantly using higher gears than I normally would be. Plus they grip just as well if not better and the high volume casing does add a degree of comfort to the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC Pro, Ritchey ZED Race, IRC Mythos, Hutchingson Pythons

Bike Setup:   Racer X100, FSA XC 300 wheels, Maxxix ultra light tubes, Specialized Roll X S works tires

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from Reno

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2004

Strengths:    Sticky, high volume, strong

Weaknesses:    slow

Bottom Line:
This is really a rear tire for someone with good technical skills, but doesn't mind it bogging. I've switched it to the front and it is a lot better. Rear is now the 2bliss, 2compound Fast Track.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim and Shafer

Similar Products Used:   wtb, all the predecessors, fire garbage

Bike Setup:   spesh

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Petaluma CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    IT Sticks! It sticks when cornering, braking and cornering, on loose stuff, dry stuff, rocky stuff and most importantly when I need it Toooooo!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Expensive (I like cheap tires because I burn them up).

Bottom Line:
Buy it for your front tire. Well worth the fourty bucks. BUY THEM if you need a tire to stick under HARD braking. They work......

Favorite Trail:   Camp Tamarancho

Purchased At:   mfg

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, conti's, IRC, even Onza's (he he he)

Bike Setup:   05 Blur with full xtr

Submitted by Joshua a Cross Country Rider from Pleasantville, NY USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great hook-up
Awe-inspiring cornering
Very predictable handling
Climbs like no other
Real confidence inspiring on downhills and switchbacks

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
For the last 4 or 5 years i have been a die-hard fireXC rider. telling everyone i knew that it was the best tire out there... and it was damn good. i recently got interested in these tires when i saw a review of them taking second place in Mountain Bike Action a couple months ago. It was hard to find a set as specialized's online store was out of stock and none of the dealers around me seemed to have them. i ended up finding them as an OEM pull from a guy in kansas.

Bottom line: These tires rock. they are my new favorite thing to praise on my bike. i have only ridden on them a couple times, but its enough to know that they are better than anything else i have tried. I'm a big guy 6'3" 230+ and these things hook up! mud, wet roots, hardpack, loose conditions... all nothing to these things. i climbed sections i have never been able to in the past. they have a ton less rolling resistance than the fire XC's (accellerate much quicker)and i believe they are about 30g lighter to boot. i have always been skeptical about knob size on tires. i don't understand how a tire that has such short knobs can hook up as well.. but i guess i'll leave that to the engineers. I'm a firm believer now. :) plus they look bad ass with the huge white letters on the side of them. my only hope now is that i can find another set! i love em!

Favorite Trail:   Grahm Hills State Park

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC (4 sets!)

Bike Setup:   2001 Schwinn Mesa Disk with lots of upgrades

Submitted by Jim Hetschel a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Strengths:    Light , low rolling resistance , superb cornering on hardpack with a loose topsoil . Great summer tire and gives a cushy ride thanks to the large volume .

Weaknesses:    Not so great in mud and poor traction on steep downhills - small center knobs .

Bottom Line:
These are the best tires I have tried on dry hardpack conditions . You can really lean these bad boys over and get a controlled drift without worrying about washing out . The only flaw I can see is that they are lousy in mud and not so great on super steep downhills due to the small center knobs . They wear fast but skin costs more than rubber .

Favorite Trail:   Toads

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Hot S , Bontrager , Velociraptors , and most Specialized treads .

Bike Setup:   Blur with the works .

Submitted by jason a Racer from wv

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    very easy to seal on my cross max tires using stans.

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires after reading all the good reviews in mountain bike magizines. I will say this is prob. the best all around tire I have road. My tires sealed quick using stans no tubes on mavic cross max rims. These tires are wearing quick. I use them only on trails and after 1 1/2 months they show wear. As for price I get great deals on my stuff but I think the price is fair. As for specialized I ripped the side wall out of my rear tire after approx. 2 miles. The bike shop owner was with me when this happened. He called specialized and I had a free tire in 2 days. Thats great service! My highest rating is 4 because 5 is perfect and they aren't perfect. Great tire!

Similar Products Used:   just about everything

Bike Setup:   k2 razorback sl

Submitted by Tony a Racer from Sierra, Nevada USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Strengths:    These tires came stock on my 04 S works Epic Disc. They are 55A tread compound, (I reported them as 62A in the bike review I posted last week). They feel very grippy and I got about 22 hours on the set so far, and for being so soft they should go about 60-80. Specialized has these listed on their website, and the price is less than a set of Roll X pro 62A compound tires. This will help you justify the reduced lifespan, which still appears to be better than S works tires of the past. They ride reasonably fast for their large volume and I'm finding myself when riding througfh 6" seated cobbles on singletrack, not so worried about line as other tires-just plow through. I've taken some corners decending faster than ever before and with more confidence. Alot of the improvements I'm noticing are from the bike but I will definatly buy these again if they hold up with no sidewall tears. Specialized has at least 6 versions of the Roll X tire for 04 and their website gives vague information on the application reccomendation. I guess they really want people to view this tire as an all-rounder which it is, a very grippy one at that!

Weaknesses:    I tried to set these up as tubeless on my crossmax sl's with stan's sealer. One of the molding points on the side wall was leaking the stan's out. If I have time I might try to patch this leak and try again. FYI when I pulled the tires off the rims when I was setting up the bike, their were Chen Shin tubes inside (1.5"-1.9"). I would have expected to see Specialized ultralites, but who knows what goes on in their testing. To be fair these tires with 36 lbs front and 39 lbs rear feel really cushy because of the volume and my 190 lbs have not come close to bottoming out against the rim. performance wise these are about as good as you can get without getting race stock tires. If others have had problems using these as UST-please post. I would think they should be fine on a circuit race course. Specialized may need to release this compound in a full UST tire for training and all around riding

Bottom Line:
The best all arounder Specialized has out there to date. Be prepared to by a few more a season-the lower price should balance out your season's tire budget.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Conti Vertical protection, Vertical USTs, Explorer USTs, Michelin XL S USTs, Kenda Kharisma USTs, 03 Roll X pro, IRC Mythos, Notos, Hutchinson Pythons, Scorpions, Specialized Comp Master/Team Control

Bike Setup:   04 S works epic disc