Specialized 04 All Condition Pro Tire Tire

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

A super-fast road racing tire with great traction. No other tire matches the All Condition''s combination of low rolling resistance, wet and dry cornering performance, and puncture protection.

Submitted by Skinny-convert a Cross Country Rider from Guildford

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    Very fast, smooth tyre with surprisingly good cornering and braking abilities. Especially surprising in the wet. It took a short while to get used to the different feel they give compared to my previous knobblies, but their smoothness is fantastic to ride.

They look very sexy on a set of nice rims, and were easy to fit.

Weaknesses:    Only that it is quite hard to feel when they are about to lock up in the wet, though I imagine that is just something I will get used to with more time.

It hasn't caused any accidents the couple of times I have had to really put the brakes on, it just isn't very confidence inspiring.

Bottom Line:
Brilliant tyre, beyond all expectations. Drops into corners fast, but is easy to pull upright again, feels very similar to my motorbike.

Accelerates very fast, I've found myself starting from traffic lights a gear higher than before, and I have noticed myself using one or two gears higher in normal riding.

They inspire you to push harder, always seeking more speed - a lovely feeling, really makes riding an MTB on road exciting. I can see why roadies get so overexcited on rides, and as long as I can slipstream I have found it possible (not easy) to keep pace with a couple of roadie friends of mine.

For road riding they are beautiful, if you are a dedicated rider, but dont want to go roadie, I would recommend these tyres.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, Spittalfields

Bike Setup:   Trek 830 frame, Mavic X317 rim front, Mavic D521 rim rear, Hope Mono6Ti front disc, v-brake rear (frame doesn't have mounts for a disk :( , Shimano LX chainset, 210mm riser bars, Specialised Alias Pro saddle.

Submitted by hungry ghost a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    Very fast! No problems in the wet or cornering. Great puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    None - but those 1" inner tubes are another matter.......

Bottom Line:
As others have said, these tyres are mighty quick. Also, I have used them for 6 months cycling everyday in central London and have yet to suffer a flat, which is impressive. They feel totally secure in the wet and inspire more confidence on corners than you would think possible. I originally purchased a pair of Continental Grands Prix, but changed my mind at the last minute on account of the sidewalls on the Contis appearing paper thin. I just couldn't see how they'd stand up to any kind of assault from roadside debris and looked. The All Conditions Pros feel that bit sturdier but still slick enough that I can indulge the fantasy that I am a lot faster and fitter since having mounted them.

Unlike others, I have no problems mounting them on the rim. in fact, they're a hell of a lot more thumb-friendly than the Armadillos on my other bike.

Sadly though, I am less than happy with 1" tubes. In 6 months of riding I have gone through more than half a dozen tubes already - no punctures as such but all have split in exactly the same place, around the area where the presta valve meets the tube proper. So, 5 chillies for the tyres and 2.5 for the tubes. Just be careful when inflating and make sure the valve is sitting squarely and smoothly in the rim experiencing no undue force.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Nimbus EX Armadillo 1.5"

Bike Setup:   Orange O2 frame, Pace RC36 forks, Mavics, X-Lite stem, bars, seatpost, Deore LX/XT drivetrain, shifters and brakes

Submitted by al painter a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2004

Strengths:    THEY FLY DOWNHILL, corner well, climbing is much easier, you can go 40+MPH and feel safe. They also allow to keep up with and pass roadies!!

Weaknesses:    Extremely tough to mount. Better have a cold beer and warm massage waiting when you're done.

Bottom Line:
If you don't want to buy a road bike, but want to ride pavement to add some spice into your MTB life, BUY THESE TIRES. You may not beat Lance up L'Alp Duez, but your life will be pretty good otherwise on these little rim rockets.

Favorite Trail:   Moody Rd To Page Mill

Purchased At:   The OffRamp

Similar Products Used:   Avocet and Kenda slicks

Bike Setup:   02 Specialized Expedition Sport, Thudbuster post, Pilot up front, Sun Rims, Deore shifters/brakes, Topo brakes, CaneCreek Ergo Ends, Truvative Bar, Bontager Stem, Milano Saddle, Oury Grips

Submitted by Alvin Caesar a Cross Country Rider from St. Lucia W.I

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2004

Strengths:    super fast, performs as promised

Bottom Line:
I am totally blown over by how fast this tire is. I put it on and went for a ride, had to run 2 gears higher than normal. It grips the pavement exceptionally well. What really impressed me was its wet weather traction, (because of the smoothness of the tire, I had no intentions of riding in rain, but on one of my rides it began raining suddenly and I had no choice but to ride in it) I had to ride up a steep hill and was able to do so with no trouble. In fact I even got out of the saddle, and the slippage was very, very minimal.
All in all, I think the tire delivers all that it promised. Big props to the Big 'S', you get what you paid for. Get it if you are willing to spend the money and have some road miles to put in.

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   kenda qwest

Bike Setup:   03 Stumpy m4 black frame with Easton, Hope, Avid, Chris King, Thompson, XT/XTR, Mavic xc 717 etc.

Submitted by Geoffrey Seaborn a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    These tires are really fast. Especially if you inflate them to about 120 Psi. I go about 25% faster than I would with a normal pair of semi slicks.

Weaknesses:    You will need to buy a new pair of tubes if you are using these on your mountain bike. I have the 26x1 model, and I had to buy a pair of wrench force superlight presta tubes of the same dimensions to be able to run them.

You really can't run these on any type of gravel, as hard packed as it may be. They make gravel fly everywhere, which is a big problem. Any moist dirt is a problem as well. They were meant for pavement though, so I don't hold it against them.

Bottom Line:
Buy these if you only want to go on pavement. They make you go extremely fast. Flak jacket protection helps avoid flats, which is quite nice, because it's very hard to inflate tires to over 100 psi with a little hand pump.

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau Loop

Purchased At:   Specialized Website

Similar Products Used:   Continental semi slicks.

Bike Setup:   04 Rockhopper pro - Easton EC70 Monkeylite XC, EA70 Stem, Avid ti's all around, manitou axel super, thomson post, specialized comp gel saddle, chris king nothreadset etc.