Specialized 03 Hemisphere EX Tire Tire

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Highly durable, wide profile recreational tire with Flack Jacket puncture protection for trouble free commuting and touring in all weather and road conditions.

Submitted by Akeldama a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Quiet, low rolling resistance, and my bike has never cornered like this before.

Weaknesses:    They're not built for serious off-roading, but then, I was looking for a tire that worked better on-road.

Bottom Line:
These tires are great. They are not really built for off-road, but I have left paved surfaces behind on occasion and they have not really given me a reason to complain. On-road, they are incredible. They are quiet, they are fast, they make pedalling in a higher gear much easier, there is no need to slow down for corners, and as a result, they have cut 20% off my commute time. 20%!
Plus they are just so much fun. I didn't think that mountain bikes were meant to lean like that, but this bike now takes corners that threaten to drag your knee.

Favorite Trail:   Grand Targhee

Purchased At:   Ken's Bicycle Wareho

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Trail.

Submitted by 4ewjones a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Great tread wear resistance, looks good, clean design, durable.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, but for me, I'll take the weight if it means improved durability.

Bottom Line:
I originally baught these for my girlfriend's Wal-Mart special POS, then we got her a Trek Madone and trashed that. I took the tires and put them on my bike and love them, I didn't think I would. They're stiff which I like to reduce rolling resistance. Again, I can't say enough about wear, they still look like new after around 1000 miles, I'm a 245lb Clydsdale so I eat tires for lunch and I'm an aggressive rider so I'm hard on my bike components. They have a slight buzz at high speed, but not much, to be expected with this type of tread pattern.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Tampa Bay Trail

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis slicks, Maxxis knobbies

Bike Setup:   2001 Cannondale Terra

Submitted by Robbie a Weekend Warrior from Indiana

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Strengths:    Fairly in-expensive, roll well on paved roads & gravel.

Weaknesses:    None that I've seen yet

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires to ride pavement and some gravel roads. They have a lot less resistance them my stock knobbies. I really like the way they have performed so far!

Purchased At:   dans competition

Similar Products Used:   I had looked at Richey Tom Slicks, but found these first

Bike Setup:   Clydesdale with a Specialized HardRock Sport Disc

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Strengths:    Low vibration and noise.
Low cost.
Excellent tread wear.
Great traction on paved roads.
Minimal rolling resistance.
Good traction on hard pack and rocks.

Weaknesses:    They suck in mud and sand.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as road training tires. They work great on the pavement, but I was surprised at how well they handle hardpack. Sand or mud forget about it but rocks and hardpack they excel. I usually leave these tires on when I hit the trails b/c I'm too lazy to swap them out with my knobbies, and I really do not miss them. As for wear, they still look brand new.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore Grapevine Lake

Similar Products Used:   Too many to remember.

Bike Setup:   Trek with stuff...

Submitted by Tommi Bass a Cross Country Rider from U.K

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Strengths:    Very smooth rolling, also very quiet on the pavement. They also look very cool, like big BMX tyres (1.95)

Weaknesses:    They are made for the streets only, but thats what I wanted chaps!

Bottom Line:
These tyres look very cool, they compliment my black FIR W400 rims very well indeed; very stealth. I now need to buy a bell or something cus nobody can here me rolling alone the pavements of Cardiff, spooky eh!
These puppys are easy to install, no need for tyre levers. They work very well indeed on pavement and tarmac, I use them for winter road training (250+/= miles per week)I got a pair plus tubes for twenty quid... I'm stoked! They are a must have if you train on tarmac and don't wanna get a gay road bike...yuck! Ten flaming turds from me chaps!

Favorite Trail:   The streets of Cardiff, South Wales.

Purchased At:   Merlincycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Jet S (green) Tioga slicks (ropey)

Bike Setup:   NICE.

Submitted by dan from roseville

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Strengths:    fairly durable

Weaknesses:    . . . don't run over any wood splinters

Bottom Line:
well, the first time i rode on these tires on an extended trip, the rear went flat, it could have been my fault, but the flak jacket protection sucks because a wooden splinter about 1 cm in length pierced the tire and tube requiring me to walk about 2 miles home.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Hamilton

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    easy to mount, roll easy , great in the rain

Weaknesses:    off-road................DUHH

Bottom Line:
I use this tire for road training because I can't bring myself to buy a road bike. I rides nice and smooth, and is sweet in the rain. they even work on easy singletrack hardpack (but be careful) perfect for saving your MTB tires for the trail, and spinning on the road. they wear beautifully...had mine two seasons with 200+ kms a week and they barely look worn! great adhesion on pavement, no worries!!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere