Specialized 03 Enduro Pro Tire Tire

2.84/5 (25 Reviews)

A tire designed to satisfy the most demanding rider in any situation. The Enduro has a higher air volume for both a plush ride and protection from pinch flats. Pro level offers longer wearing tread compound than our S-Works racing version. Throw our Flak Jacket puncture protection into the mix and you''ve got a bullet-proof lightweight tire.

Submitted by Josh Reed a Racer from Knoxville,

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    Sweet, high volume smooth ride on a hardtail, I run them low pressure and I've had no pinch flats. Grip great, even in mud

Weaknesses:    roll a little slow. A little heavier than I'm used to but still light for this size. (2.2)

Bottom Line:
A little slow for racing but some of the best all around tires I've ever used. I don't understand some of the criticism of these tires below. I've found them to be great.

Similar Products Used:   Irc, huthison, ritchey, ect...

Bike Setup:   Homegrown hardtail, Zokes Marathon fork, light.

Submitted by Gary a Weekend Warrior from Santa Fe, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Plush ride, ok as a rear tire

Weaknesses:    NOT a good front tire, terrible traction on hard and soft conditions, small dimples pick up mud and sand and shoots into your face

Bottom Line:
Very disappointed with tire. Came as stock equipment on a new Enduro. While the tire is very plush riding it is listed as a front and rear tire. I found the traction on the rear ok but in the front TERRIBLE! It slides out when cornering, I played with the air pressure....nothing, tried applying more weight to the tire while riding still...nothing. The tire also has small dimples which (when riding in even slightly wet conditions) picks up dirt and sprays it into your face, OUCH! I would not buy and am going to replace the tire. I gave a two on the rating because it does have a plush ride and is ok as a rear tire.

Purchased At:   NM Bike and Sport

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire, smoke (rear)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro Full Suspension

Submitted by lexican G a Racer from San Ho

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    light
wide foot print
sheds sandy mud

Weaknesses:    knobbies get ripped off.
ok tracking

Bottom Line:
Specialized need to glue the knobbies on a little better even if it adds weight to the already light tire. And what the hell is the difference between a Pro and a Sport tire? Specialized website sucks explaining the difference. Maybe I should be riding a Sport tire because I ride very agressive. I dunno... but I know I'm not getting another Specialized tire.

Favorite Trail:   Demo

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   Hutchison, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Enduro Comp

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Handled fast downhill packed corners well enough.

Weaknesses:    Anything technical, little squirrelly when braking.

Bottom Line:
My biggest gripe about these tires was how they handled on technical terrain. I live in the Pacific Northwest and their are roots and rocks everywhere. My old tires (Ritchey Hard Drive K's I think) handled this stuff awesome. But they were too worn to warrant switching them over to my new Endro so I decided to go with the tires it came with. These Endro Pro's slipped off too the side or spun out even on some of the simplest roots.

I would not ever buy these tires. I wouldn't even give these tires to someone.

Favorite Trail:   Galbriath Mt

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Hard Drive K, WTB Velociraptors

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized Endro

Submitted by Mark Buhl a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Good road handling especially in the turns. I'd say these are really good tires if your are planning to communte with your bike.

Weaknesses:    Slips on everything going up hills, these tires are junk if you plan on doing any serious offroad as they do not grip at all. I hit several hills and the tire just spun once I hit leaves or roots.

Bottom Line:
The tires came with the bike and I will keep the front tire stock but I am going to replace the bike tire with something that has more bite.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Wallow

Purchased At:   A-1 Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Conti survivor

Submitted by Gianluigi Lupica a Weekend Warrior from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    low weight for the size

Weaknesses:    no grip on wet condition (doesn't shed mud), snow and gravel; high rolling resistance; poor grip on back tire on steep hills, as soon as you apply too much force you will have wheelspin.

Bottom Line:
We had a very dry summer 2003 and so I had little trouble with the tires, except for roads with lot of gravel. I solved the problem by driving with only 35-40psi pressure (watchout for snakebite flats and sloooow rolling).
When winter came with lot of rain and some snow I had 3 crashes in 1 month because of the tires! I swtched back to my old and fully worn Contis and had better grip in wet and snowy condition...
If you have to drive on wet trails then replace these tires as soon as possible!

Favorite Trail:   Geissberg

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Factory XC, Conti Escape Pro

Bike Setup:   Enduro Comp with XT2004 drivetrain; Eggbeater S pedals

Submitted by Kevin Driscoll a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Strengths:    The tire has great treads. Nothing can really pop unless you are stupid and try to jump off a cliff or something or you are mad and you ruthlessly stab your tires multiple times with a hunting knife.

Weaknesses:    Don't run the tires into trees, unless you really want to. That is how I got my flat. It is extremely hard to pedal on the road because of the width of the tires.

Bottom Line:
IT is a great tire for dirt fun(trail riding) and it is average for XC. I have this tire on my Enduro FSR. It works perfectly. Now, if you want the tires to be in-destructable, my suggestion is to get the Specialized Presta Valve Tube(26x1.5/2.2).With the specific rim and tube on with your tire, this bike will be very durable. You will become very confident while riding.

Favorite Trail:   the lower bum trail

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   not really anything.

Bike Setup:   Mavic 139 X rim(its all you need to know)

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty Light, other than that - none!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Rolls like you have a flat tire on pavement. Knobs squirley in rocks, on hardpack, and anywhere else between. Knobs rip off the side.

Bottom Line:
Went to the bike shop to pick up a new tire. Decided to try something different because I ahve not been getting long wear out of my mutanoraptors. The kid at the bike shop sold me the spec enduro tire. The wieght ooked about right, under 600 grams for a 2.2, so I bought it. I asked the employees at the shop some very specific questions like, how do these tires roll on pavement? They said they were among the best they had ridden. I also asked about durability, again they said that they last a long time.

Well, I went for a short ride today on trail 100 in phoenix - 17 miles. The two miles on pavement to the trailhead, I thought I had flat rear tire!! This tire fealt like I was poedalling through sand on pavement!!! Also, my average speed on the pavement was 2 mph slower than normal (I do this ride several times a week). I thought, well, maybe they will work better on the trail - boy was I wrong. They are very plush, however theknobs just squirmed around ont he rocks. Then at ten miles into the ride, two knobs started coming off. By the time I made it home, about 10 of the knobs have pulled off of the tire!!

Well, I took the tire back to the bike shop, not more than four hours after I purchased it, and the saleperson said
I must have done something wrong and blamed me for the tire coming apart. No money back, no explanation, the only thing they said is I was riding this tire too hard on a tril it was not designed for - what the heck? A mountain bike tire on a trail - do these people at this shop ride? Bottom line, I do not recommend this tire to anyone that owns a bike!!

Purchased At:   Excellent Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Mutanoraptor 2.4, 2.24 Kedan Kenetics 2.35, IRC mythos, Tioga, almost all brands of tires over the years!!

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X, XTR shifters, brakes, deraileurs, cranks, King hubs, King Headset, Marzocchi Fork

Submitted by John E a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Strengths:    I like the all-around capabilities of this tire, grippy on most rocks and dry roots. They roll well over dry hardpack. Light.

Weaknesses:    They don't stand up well to sharp rocks. I tore the sidewalls in both of mine, but I did punish them for awhile before that happened. I didn't have the problem of knobbies ripping off that other friends and reviewers have had. They don't shed deep mud very well, and they slip out on wet roots, but what doesn't? I wouldn't purchase these, but they came on the bike.

Bottom Line:
If you get a Specialized bike that these come on, ride the snot out of them until they disintegrate, then replace them with something a little tougher. Keep them inflated to at least 40 - 50 psi to avoid snakebite flats.

Purchased At:   International Bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Several Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Enduro Pro

Submitted by Victor a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight. Lots of knobs. Plain ol' black color.

Weaknesses:    Price. Kind of slow rolling.

Bottom Line:
I have about 1200 miles on the 2.0 size and they're just now showing significant wear on the knobbies. Not a bad tire at all. I rode these in Moab and they did fine everywhere (I didn't ride these on Slickrock, though). Over the course of 1200 miles I've had a number of punctures from thorns but nothing out of the norm compared to the other tires I've used. I never had a pinch flat on these. These tires do everything fairly well: good traction on loose stuff, decent wear, decent cornering and braking, and they do drive through deep sand. On the plus side, they are fairly high volume for a 2.0 tire. I can run a few psi less with these.

My only complaint is the price. They cost about $10 more than Panaracer Fire XC's but aren't that much marginally better. At least these Enduro's are black in color.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Continental Explorer Protection, Intense System 2, Hutchinson Mozzies, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized FSR Pro xc. All factory stock.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good grip so far.

Weaknesses:    Durability - 2 sets so far have gotten torn to bits on northeast rocks.

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike and ended up slicing the front one onpen on a rock, ripped about 1/4 of the side lugs off both the front and back within a few hundred miles. Put a new set on (yeah I'm a sucker), already ripped a few lugs of the rear within 100 miles.

Have good grip most of the time but only till they fall apart.

Will try something else next time.

Bike Setup:   Enduro

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Strengths:    Update from post 2 below...

Weaknesses:    Cleaning bike today after about only 20 miles of riding since the last review, and noticed a knob (and significant (about a quarter-diameter) portion of the outer casing on the rear tire was missing (ripped off)... on Dallas area trails that only have a few technical portions (although I'm pushing hard to make all of them)... I don't think I've done anything insane enough to rip knobs off these tires, considering they have maybe a total of 150 miles on them. Rear center region knobs were already showing pretty good signs of wear, although I have little to compare them to.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad starter tire for the bike, thankfully I'd already decided to try the WTB Weirwolf and it should hopefully be here tomorrow (was hoping for today, but I'll just change it quickly tomorrow before my ride hopefully assuming they show up, will review after that. But bottom line, I wouldn't pay for these tires as a replacement, and don't feel bad about ordering new ones before these wore out, and especially after seeing the ripped off knob.

Favorite Trail:   Knob Hill

Purchased At:   Came with bike (Bicycles Plus)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro FSR, all stock

Submitted by Hernandez Richard a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix,Arizona,Maricopa

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Every time you go for a bike ride a get a flat.

Bottom Line:
I have gone out riding a dozen times since I have bought this bike, and the one thing I can say is I received a tire warranty on the tubes, and thank god I did or I would have easily would have spent $40.00 on new tubes in the last three months. I have been through 6 tubes in the last dozen rides it is really ticking me off. I just blew my 7th tube today and tommorow I'm going to get new frickin' tires.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   03 Enduro FSR

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Dallas area, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    Keeps rim off ground, holds inner tube internally. So far I've had several spurs cause flats, haven't had a pinch flat yet though, over some fairly rocky and rooty terrain (no big drops though). I do run a bit higher pressure though, am dialing it back but still over 50PSI at the moment (I weight 220 and don't like flats). Works great on sandy single-track and pretty good in gravel as well.

Weaknesses:    LOUSY for loose technical climbs, back tire just spins out as soon as even a light spin is applied to it, it's like the bike is stuck in place, and the same behavior on roots on an incline. Also rode the first time in SLICK mud on a creek crossing, having never ridden clay mud as slick as this, I don't have the ability to compare, but I can say the tire thought it was on oiled glass. In it's defense, I couldn't climb the incline either with my mountain shoes (ripped a cleat off in fact in the process) and had to go sideways to get up (it was only a 30-degree or so incline, but the mud was amazingly slick). Anyhow, so for climbing, or slick mud, it's been a disappointment, but for dusty, tacky, or gravelly trails, I've enjoyed it. In the Dallas area, it's a pretty good match during summer especially, but as the fall gains momentum, I'm looking for something that can handle wetter conditions (and just climbing also) better.

Bottom Line:
Seems to be a good general purpose trail tire, and I've enjoyed it downhill, it seems to handle that pretty well, and is downright fun flying on a tacky surface, bogs a little in sand, but biggest problems have been loose technical climbs (spins out, on firmer climbs or it seems fine), and it was completely overwhelmed in my one experience with a 10ft mud wash. If you are riding scenic trails, go for it, for more technical stuff, maybe not the best choice (and goathead spurs go right through them like butter, so not great at all for thorny/stickery conditions).

Favorite Trail:   Haven't found it yet

Purchased At:   Bicycles Plus, came with bike

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Enduro

Submitted by Rob Weiser a Weekend Warrior from Miami Fl

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Strengths:    Grips well, plush riding.

Weaknesses:    possibly a little thin on the sides. large contact area gives more rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I haven't had and problems with the tires. I just came back from NorthWest Montana for some downhill action up high in the mountains. The tires took all kinds of abuse, jagged rocks, nasty roots, etc etc and had no problem with them. Oleta Park in Mioami is mostly technical with roots, rocks, drops and so on never has a pinch flat yet. I did notice though a few days ago that a very very thin shaving of the side wall is hanging. about as thin as a stretched ballon. Must of hit a rock or something. I'll give them a 4 as nothing is perfect

Favorite Trail:   Oleta State Park N. Miami