Specialized 02 Enduro S-Works Tire Tire

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

An all-new tire designed to satisfy the most demanding rider in any situation. The Enduro has a higher air volume for both a plush ride and protection from pinch flats. Throw our Flak Jacket puncture protection into the mix and you've got a bullet-proof tire that weighs just 550-grams.

Submitted by Abraham Altamirano a Weekend Warrior from Puebla, Mexico

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    Very light weight and good air volume for a 2.2 inch tire, it works great on stable terrain and hardpack.

Weaknesses:    While cornering is very easy to be launched out because of the lack of side traction, the profile is almost square. This tire makes any bike nervious on gravel, loose soil and sand. You can feel your bike springs on the rocks and it doesn´t go through the rocks.

Bottom Line:
This tire is only good enough on stable terrain, it´s a shame you have to look for different options if you look for light weight and good traction. Sorry, the S-Works failed.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   It comes with the bike

Similar Products Used:   No similar until today.

Bike Setup:   Standard from manufacturer.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Traverse City, Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    Grip, volume

Weaknesses:    bulging casing

Bottom Line:
These tires came on the Enduro. The originals both had very uneven casings. Felt like riding a horse when I locked out the suspension. The dealer replaced them, no problem. The new set is just fine. I have well over 1000 miles on them. The knobs are getting a bit rounded. I mostly ride in soft sandy conditions here in Northern Lower Michigan so wear has not been a problem.

These tires dig in on climbs and hook up on corners better than the Fire XC Pros and whole lot better than the Wildgrippers. The only wash-out I've had so far is dry sand on hardpack. And then there was that sand on wet asphalt ordeal. Can any tire handle those?

I'm due for a new set of tires. Probably go with the Conti Verticals and/or Survivals. Not cause the Enduro S-Works are bad, just because I need more digging knobbys for the sand and snow.

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC Pro, Wildgrippers

Bike Setup:   2002 Enduro Pro, mostly stock

Submitted by Scot Douglas a Racer from Ann Arbor MI

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    Large volume, hooks up well in Michigan, sheds mud and snow pretty good. Light for the size. I use these tires on my singlespeed.

Weaknesses:    Not the best in dry, loose conditions - i.e. Colorado mtn conditions. A bit sketchy in loose gravel.

Bottom Line:
A great tire, but it's pretty expensive.

Bike Setup:   2002 Enduro Pro

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, Size, Rolling Resistance, versatility

Weaknesses:    Loose Cornering

Bottom Line:
First I should mention that I run really tough tires in the rear because the terrain here rips knobs off of anything else. This Enduro is what Im using on the front. I replaced a Vertical Pro with it because I was impressed with the volume/weight ratio of the enduro.

It is a really stable tire for technical terrain, feels very solid. This is due to the 2.2 tread and extra volume without a doubt. It rolls great. The problem with it is that it doesnt feel really hooked up in corners. When I layed my bike over to hit a corner really hard my Vertical Pro use to feel solid as hell. I knew I was not going to slide, or fumble in the least. The enduro is the complete opposite. Im unsure of it because it feels unstable, like its going to wash out at any moment. I have to fade corners now because It just doesnt hang on like the verticals do.

Thats my advice for anyone getting this tire. Get a Continental Vertical Pro instead. Its a few grams heavier but it worth it for the cornering grip. Hell if you want lghtweight go for the Explorer Pro, same tread pattern with smaller and lighter casting.

I got the S-Works which is a soft compound. It should wear out pretty fast. Ill be replacing it with another Vertical if I can stand the unsure "footing" it that long.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mtn Network

Purchased At:   T-Town

Similar Products Used:   Continental Explorer & Vertical are the best for the front but Ive used tons of tires.

Bike Setup:   4 bar setup with rubber on the wheels